Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858587 times)

Najemikon

Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #240 on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:15 AM »

I always thought that the hairy chest of Austin is a general reference to the fact that these were considered sexy in the past. But now I realize, that it is a full-on parody of Connery as Bond, who seems to use every opportunity to prance around with his hairy chest like Austin does in his movies :laugh:

You might not be aware of some of the seriously dodgy 60s TV we used to have in the UK. You might be surprised how much of it was very like Austin Powers! Jason King was a particular stand-out... although that was the 70s, but you get my drift. He looked like a 60s guy in a 60s TV show that didn't realise it was time to stop. You'll find an interesting page on Wikipedia about him. ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »

Title: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Year: 1999
Director: Jay Roach
Rating: 12
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Mike Myers
Heather Graham
Michael York
Robert Wagner
Seth Green

Plot:
First he fought for the Crown. Now he's fighting for the Family Jewels. Austin Powers is back, baby!
MIKE MYERS returns in this blockbuster sequel as the British secret agent that thwarts international madmen and shags beautiful women like mad, man!
But his arch nemesis, the powerful and bizarre Dr. Evil, is planning to hold the world hostage for a large ransom.
Only Austin can save the day in this hilariously hip James Bond spoof...Groovy...

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this sequel more than the first movie. Probably because it was the first Austin Powers that I had seen.
But for some reason I remembered it being better :laugh:
But that is not to say that I didn't enjoy it this time around. Just not as much.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »

Title: The Fifth Element
Year: 1997
Director: Luc Besson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 126 Min.
Audio: English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Bruce Willis
Gary Oldman
Ian Holm
Milla Jovovich
Chris Tucker

Plot:
Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman and Milla Jovovich star in acclaimed director Luc Besson's outrageous sci-fi adventure, an extravagantly-styled tale of good against evil set in an unbelievable twenty-third century world. All aboard for "A futuristic, eye-popping adventure!" - Bill Diehl, ABC Radio Network

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A great movie with a lot of attention to details. And great use of cuts to create hilarious scenes.
I think it is one of Bruce Willis' finer movies. And also the other actors are great in it. Especially Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman and Chris Tucker.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »

Title: DOA: Dead or Alive
Year: 2006
Director: Cory Yuen
Rating: 15
Length: 83 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Italian

Stars:
Jaime Pressly
Devon Aoki
Holly Valance
Sarah Carter
Natassia Malthe

Plot:
The adrenaline-pumping kick ass 'Dead or Alive' videogame is taken to the next level as a movie from Hong Kong action legend Corey Yuen (The Transporter).

Three beautiful women - each a sizzling martial arts mistress - are invited to the world's ultimate secret fighting tournament to slug it out for a $10m prize.

Tina Armstrong (Jaime Pressly) is a sexy superstar pro-wrestler. Christie (Holly Valance) is a sultry master thief. Kasumi (Devon Aoki - Sin City, 2 Fast 2 Furious), is a proud Ninja princess, schooled in the ancient fighting arts. All three begin the awesome fighting contest as rivals, but soon must team up to defeat the tournament's sinister secret. Samurai swords slash and punches fly as the martial arts mayhem cranks up in DOA: Dead Or Alive.

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have never played or even seen any of the video games, the movie is based on. This is probably good, because I didn't have any expectations of how the characters should be like.
For me this movie is just a fun movie with over-the-top martial arts (and that much of it) and a lot of hot girls kicking ass.
I very much enjoyed this movie for what it is. Don't expect a deep story here, but who would anyway in a movie based on a fighting game? ;)

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »

Title: Cloverfield
Year: 2007
Director: Matt Reeves
Rating: 15
Length: 81 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Danish, English, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Lizzy Caplan
Jessica Lucas
T.J. Miller
Michael Stahl-David
Mike Vogel

Plot:
From visionary producer J.J. Abrams (Lost) and director Matt Reeves comes the worldwide sensation of nonstop terror and suspense everyone is talking about.

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The hype for this movie was too much for me and thus I had avoided it. But I got it now in a bargain. This movie is nice, but not overly special in my opinion. I do not really like movies which uses the device as being shot by an handheld camera. I was not fond of Blair Witch Project.
The camera must really be something special in this movie. It recorded surround sound, had consistently great picture quality and a long battery life-time. So much for being realistic :laugh:
Maybe the department of defense had the sound of the found footage re-mixed ;)
I think this movie would have been more enjoyable, if they would have concentrated more on the monster and the crisis, then on the boring drama around the main characters.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
I loved it as a piece of entertainment, but you're right, it pushes the handheld conceit too far. I've reviewed it, Diary of the Dead and REC on here and I can't remember which one, but I'm sure I mentioned that I thought that Diary was by far the cleverest and most realistic, but also the most dull. I did like Cloverfield's little idea about old footage creeping in, but I think they could have gone further. Have you seen REC by the way? Uses surround sound brilliantly. As if the camera man hears something and spins to focus on it... :fingerchew:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
Have you seen REC by the way?

No, and I am not sure if I would like it that much better. I am not a big horror movie fan. And as I said, I am not much of a fan of shaky camera work. If I were, I would probably check it out, though.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:08 AM »
I am very much looking forward to REC... I know there's a DVD out but I am somewhat hoping it will come to Blu-ray too.

I am consciously making a big circle around Quarantine, the American remake.

I don't really mind shaky handheld cam, but it must make sense in the context and be executed reasonably (not make us sea-sick). I mainly look at those films on the merits of their stories.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »

Title: Rocky
Year: 1976
Director: John G. Avildsen
Rating: PG
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Talia Shire
Burt Young
Carl Weathers
Burgess Meredith

Plot:
This is the film that catapulted Sylvester Stallone into the international spotlight and launched one of the most successful series of films in movie history. Rocky won the 1976 Academy Award for Best Picture and two nominations for Stallone for leading actor and writer. This is the story of a loser, a two bit boxer from Philadelphia, who gets a second chance in life by being offered an impossible shot at the heavyweight title. Stallone's performance is as powerful as his character's punches in the ring. This is one of the most exciting action movies you will ever see.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is the first time, that I have watched this movie. Although I enjoyed it to some degree (I liked the romance and the final fight), the movie is a little dull overall. I am amazed that it has won three Oscars. In my opinion this was hardly "Best Picture" material. Also the direction was average in my opinion.
When I am honest, I wonder if I can get through the other movies, which are supposed to be getting worse.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2009, 09:43:03 PM »

Title: Austin Powers in Goldmember
Year: 2002
Director: Jay Roach
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 91 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Mike Myers
Mindy Sterling
Seth Green
Michael Caine
Verne Troyer

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
At the time of its release I thought of it as the worst of the three. But now I have to say, that it holds up quite well compared to the others. The best part is still the beginning with the Austinpussy parody.
A now familiar face has a small role in it: Hiro from Heroes.

Rating:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:39:56 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
I thought part three was the worst plot and it made little sense, but at the same time, it was possibly the funniest. The scenes with the "mole" are incredible!  :hysterical:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »

Title: In Bruges
Year: 2008
Director: Martin McDonagh
Rating: 18
Length: 102 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Colin Farrell
Brendan Gleeson
Olivier Bonjour
Clémence Poésy
Ralph Fiennes

Plot:
This stylish black-comedy thriller stars Ralph Fiennes as Harry, a vicious London crime-boss, who sends his two hit men to the picturesque Belgian city of Bruges - to lay low and wait for orders.

While Ken (Brendan Gleeson) is happy just to sight-see(!), his fast-talking partner, Ray (Colin Farrell) sets-out for adventure. Before long, Ray is experiencing hilariously surreal encounters with tourists, skinheads, dwarves and prostitutes!

When, at last, the call comes from Harry, the fun turns to a life-and-death struggle of darkly comic proportions.

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but a few friends of mine and I have some kind of "cinema club". Once a month we are going to the cinema and we alternate who gets to choose the movie. The fun part of it: Nobody else knows which movie we will watch until few minutes before entering the cinema. Often a movie is picked, which nobody would have chosen otherwise or even heard about it before. For example, the last time we watched The Boss of It All.
Why am I telling you this? Because "In Bruge" was one of those movies. I had never heard of it before. But it was one of those lucky surprises. I did enjoy the whole movie. I didn't expect it to be funny, but I laughed more than I do on a typical straight comedy movie.
Colin Farrell is great as the young hitman Ray, who on is first hit accidentally shot a boy and is now plagued by the memory. His partner and him are now sent to Bruge ("it's in Belgium"), a small town which is still medieval looking. They are told to await new orders there. Once there, his partner is told by their boss (Ralph Fiennes) to get rid of Ray, as he is now a liability. The boss sent them to Bruge because he always liked this small town and wanted to have Ray to have nice experience before his death. But Ray finds this town a bore, until he encounters Chloe.

Rating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE9edjEDCI
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:28:53 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
I really enjoyed In Bruges too, especially the near-the-knuckle humour like when he tells the overweight American tourist why he can't go up the stairs...  :laugh:

It was just the ending that let it down for me. I could see it coming a mile off, plus it seemed to be trying to rip-off Don't Look Now. Doesn't matter though, still a great little crime flick, really well written and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »

Title: Family Guy Presents: Blue Harvest
Year: 2007
Rating: NR
Length: 48 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Plot:
The laughs come full "Force" when the Griffin clan puts a freakin' sweet spin on the greatest sci-fi saga ever told! With Peter playing the swashbuckling Han Solo, Lois as the sexy Princess Leia, Chris as an adolescent Luke Skywalker, Brian as a well-spoken Chewbacca and Stewie finally embracing his dark side as Darth Vader, who knows what will happen? Filled with outrageous gags, spaced-out droids and more intergalactic satire than you can shake a lightsaber at, this epic spoof is a must-own for every fan of Family Guy!

Extras:
Commentary
Digital Copy Included on Disc 2
DVD-ROM Content
Interviews
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A fun Family style retelling of the first Star Wars movie, which likes to poke fun at the plot holes of the movie. I was surprised about the quality of the animated space scenes. And that they got to use the John Williams score throughout.
And at the end they make a great allusion to the Robot Chicken special, which is co-created and co-produced by Seth Green, the voice of Chris. So I think it would be fitting when I follow up with the Robot Chicken special now.

Rating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdBRvGtnok
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:26:34 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but a few friends of mine and I have some kind of "cinema club". Once a month we are going to the cinema and we alternate who gets to choose the movie. The fun part of it: Nobody else knows which movie we will watch until few minutes before entering the cinema. Often a movie is picked, which nobody would have chosen otherwise or even heard about it before. For example, the last time we watched The Boss of It All.
That reminds me of the times when I used to go to "Sneak Previews" in my home town, and also once or twice in Hamburg, where you actually only know what you get to see when the opening credits roll. I used to catch a few small independent movies that I would not have seen otherwise. Only disappointment I remember was "The Preacher's Wife" with Denzel and Whitney; one of only two times I walked out of a movie (the second time being when I left the cinema because my friends wanted to  go and I had seen the film already anyway).

A fun Family style retelling of the first Star Wars movie, which likes to poke fun at the plot holes of the movie. I was surprised about the quality of the animated space scenes. And that they got to use the John Williams score throughout.
And at the end they make a great allusion to the Robot Chicken special, which is co-created and co-produced by Seth Green, the voice of Chris. So I think it would be fitting when I follow up with the Robot Chicken special now.
I believe the season currently being produced/aired contains part 2...?