Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 864656 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Adventures of Mini-Goddess
Year: 1998
Rating: NR
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo , Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Plot:
Super Small = Super Cute!

Whenever Keiichi leaves the house, Belldandy, Urd and Skuld shrink themselves to play with the other residents of the area - including their clueless rat sidekick, Gan. Whether it's a battle against Gan-zilla or adventures in kitchen appliance romances, the goddess adventures are dangerously funny!

Gan-chan: Although frequently the butt of the goddesses jokes and the victim of their mistakes, Gan the rat persists in his absolute devotion to Belldandy and never questions whether Urd and Skuld may be dangerous for his health

My Thoughts:

I have just watched all 48 7-minute episodes in two sittings with my brother. This is a great series which I can watch again and again. The producers of this show simply took our three beloved goddesses in their mini form, added a foil in form of the rat Gan-chan, and then had simply fun with them. Be it in a parody of Godzilla movies, or Die Hard or other crazy adventures.
Probably you will need to know these characters in their normal form (either through the OVA, TV series or manga) to get a lot of the jokes.

Rating: 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DfNfiwTixiw
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:46:32 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Sam & Max: Freelance Police: The Complete Animated Series
Year: 1997
Length: 300 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo

Plot:
The adventures of 'SAM & MAX: FREELANCE POLICE!!!' is an edgy and often irreverent, impudent, insolent, impious and silly series about a pair of likeable law enforcement types who don't take crap (oops! we mean guff) from anybody. It's about the timeless struggle between good, evil and snacktime; the weekly mishaps of a six-foot dog-Sam and a three-foot rabbity-thing (though he prefers the term 'lagomorph')-Max-who have a mirthful time trying to resolve only the weirdest criminal cases of the day. Really.

For your own good, and the good of mankind, enjoy 'SAM & MAX: FREELANCE POLICE!!!'

Based on Steve Purcell's enormously popular underground comic. Original package illustrations by Steve Purcell.

Disc 1:
1. The Thing That Wouldn't Stop It
2. The Second Show Ever / Max's Big Day
3. Bad Day On The Moon / They Came From Down There
4. The Friend For Life / Dysfunction Of The Gods
5. Big Trouble At The Earth's Core / A Glitch In Time
6. That Darn Gator / We Drop At Dawn
7. Christmas, Bloody Christmas / It's Dangly Deever Time

Disc 2:
8. Aaiiieee, Robot / The Glazed McGuggin Affair
9. The Tell Tale Tail / The Trouble With Gary
10. Tonight We Love / The Invaders
11. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang / Little Bigfoot
12. Fools Die On Friday / Sam & Max vs. The Uglions
13. The Final Episode

My Thoughts:

Not as much fun as the game but worth the 18 bucks I spent. The dialog between Sam and Max has its highlights. A wonder is, with what they could get away with in a show, which is supposed to be aimed at kids. For fans of Sam and Max definetely worth checking it out.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:40:55 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 12:08:40 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Knocked Up
Year: 2007
Director: Judd Apatow
Length: 133 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , French: Dolby Digital Stereo , Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Seth Rogen
Katherine Heigl
Paul Rudd
Leslie Mann
Jason Segel

Plot:
The writer and director of 'The 40-Year-Old Virgin' delivers another hilarious hit comedy!

They say that opposites attract. Well, for slacker Ben (Seth Rogen) and career girl Alison (Katherine Heigl), that's certainly the case – at least for one intoxicated evening. Two months and several pregnancy tests later, Ben and Alison go through a hysterically funny, anxious and heartwarming courtship that leads to huge laughs in the most outrageous comedy of the year!

Extras:
alternate ending
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A fun comedy. Also almost the complete cast consists of actors which appeard in Judd Apatov's earlier works, which makes it a fun "reunion" :)
If you liked Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared and 40-Year-Old Virgin this is the movie for you.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 11:29:21 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Nana
Year: 2005
Director: Kentaro Otani
Length: 114 Min.
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Japanese: PCM Stereo

Stars:
Mika Nakashima
Aoi Miyazaki
Hiroki Narimiya
Yuta Hiraoka
Tomomi Maruyama
Ken'ichi Matsuyama

Plot:
Based on the popular manga by Ai Yazawa, NANA follows the adventures of two girls both named Nana. While they share the same name, they couldn’t be more different. Nana "Hachi" Komatsu follows her boyfriend to Tokyo in hopes to make a new start, while Nana Osaki, who arrives in the city at the same time, is a punk rock beauty who has an ambition to make it big in the world of rock and roll. Although these two young women come from different backgrounds, they quickly become best friends to seek their happiness and dreams.

The bestselling manga is brought to life by J-pop icon MIKA NAKASHIMA and popular actress AOI MIYAZAKI, and directed by KENTARO OTANI, with an original theme by J-Rock superstar HYDE (L'Arc-en-Ciel).

My Thoughts:
After seeing the Death Note movies (and really enjoying it) I was searching the net for live-action versions of other mangas. This one was the only one I could find besides Death Note which had generally good reviews. I do not know the manga this movie was based on but this doesn't matter. I quite enjoyed this movie. I found it well-acted and captivating even though I usually do not particularly like this type of movie. I even had a tear in my eye in the last scene of the movie  :bag:

And I was surprised when I read Ken'ichi Matsuyama's name in the end credits. He played L (my favorite character in Death Note). I didn't even know he was in this movie. I didn't recognize him, but it could be because I wasn't looking out for it.

Rating:

After the success of this movie they made a sequel. Of what I have read so far it was a big let down. They even had to recast some of the major roles. Nevertheless I will buy it  :laugh:

The first movie I had bought as RC1 (it just has been released there). The sequel is not yet available as RC1. The Hong Kong release has English subtitles though.
But now I have a problem: I am still missing $10 for my order at yesasia.com to get free shipping. Any recommendations?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:58 AM »
But now I have a problem: I am still missing $10 for my order at yesasia.com to get free shipping. Any recommendations?

Battle Royale (the Hong Kong DVD) is available for $9.99.

I suppose you know what it's about (therefore could have an idea if it may be your cup of tea) and I didn't see it in your collection.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »
Battle Royale (the Hong Kong DVD) is available for $9.99.

I suppose you know what it's about (therefore could have an idea if it may be your cup of tea) and I didn't see it in your collection.

I only heard the title before and never researched it. But it looks interesting, thanks! Any additional recommendations? I am 2 cents short :laugh:
I hope yesasia.com's system is tolerant in this regard.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
I only heard the title before and never researched it. But it looks interesting, thanks! Any additional recommendations? I am 2 cents short :laugh:
I hope yesasia.com's system is tolerant in this regard.
2c short... :laugh: (...I have my doubts they'll be tolerant in that respect...)

I can't really recommend anything right now, but I am sure most people will advise against(!) adding Battle Royale II to the shopping cart.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
I can't really recommend anything right now, but I am sure most people will advise against(!) adding Battle Royale II to the shopping cart.
I gathered as much by reading the reviews to Battle Royale II  :laugh:

I will probably order this movie I stumbled across to get the missing 2 cents.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: G.O.R.A.
Year: 2004
Director: Ömer Faruk Sorak
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 123 Min.
Audio: Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Turkish: Dolby Digital Stereo , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Dutch, English, French, German, Other

Stars:
Cem Yilmaz
Cem Yilmaz
Özge Özberk
Ozan Güven
Safak Sezer

Plot:
A slick young Turk kidnapped by extraterrestrials shows his great « humanitarian spirit » by outwitting the evil commander-in-chief of the planet of G.O.R.A

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The most expensive Turkish movie ever made (5 million dollars. See Hollywood, you can make good looking movies on much smaller budgets. Just get rid of those pesky expensive cast  :laugh:).

I saw this at the cinema by chance and then bought it on DVD when it came out. It is a fun movie. It is a sci-fi comedy which takes jabs at movies like Star Wars, Fifth Element and The Matrix.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Run Ronnie Run!
Year: 2002
Director: Troy Miller
Rating: R
Length: 87 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , English: Dolby Digital Surround

Stars:
David Cross
Bob Odenkirk

Plot:
Realty TV gets a reality check in 'Run Ronnie Run!', a hilarious comedy starring David Cross and Bob Odenkirk of HBO's "Mr. Show".

Ronnie Dobbs (Cross) is a drunken, mullet-haired criminal who can't seem to keep himself from getting arrested. When spotted once again on a national reality show, a Hollywood TV producer, Terry Twillstein (Odenkirk), gets the brilliant idea to base an entire show on Ronnie himself. Overnight, Ronnie is a national TV star and the toast of Hollywood! But it isn't long until clean living and morality get the better of him and he can't get arrested anymore, no matter how hard he tries. Is this the end of his career... or the beginning of a new one?

Featuring cameos from an all-star comedy cast, 'Run Ronnie Run!' is non-stop insanity that turns reality TV on its head!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Based on a skit from the great comedy show "Mr. Show". Although not near as good as the TV show this movie is fun to watch. There are also a lot of cameos to be seen in this movie.
This movie had a hard post-production history and is because of this disowned by Bob & David.
By the way, if you have not seen "Mr. Show" I definetely recommend it. It is often seen as a modern Monty Python show.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
I have gone through this thread just now and assigned ratings where missing and re-rated some movies according to our new "forum standard" rating system.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Director: Jeff Garlin
Length: 80 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Jeff Garlin
Bonnie Hunt
Sarah Silverman
Dan Castellaneta

Plot:
Jeff Garlin ('Curb Your Enthusiasm') wrote, directed, and starred in this humerous look at a man who wants three things in life:
someone to love,
a great part,
and to loose weight.

Filled with hilarious performances from a great ensemble cast including Bonnie Hunt, Amy Sedaris, Richard Kind, Paul Mazursky, and Joey Slotnick.

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
The movie is like a long episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', just without Larry David.
It had some really funny moments. Besides that not something particularly special.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
Director: Dennis Dugan
Rating: PG-13
Length: 110 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1 , French: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Adam Sandler
Kevin James
Jessica Biel
Dan Aykroyd
Ving Rhames

Plot:
Adam Sandler and Kevin James star as best friends and fellow firefighters Chuck and Larry, the pride of their Brooklyn fire station. Chuck owes Larry for saving his life. Larry calls in that favor big-time by asking Chuck to pose as his "domestic partner" so his kids will get his pension. But when a fact-checking bureaucrat becomes suspicious, the two straight guys are forced to improvise as love-struck newlyweds. Jessica Biel, Ving Rhames and Dan Aykroyd co-star in this hilarious comedy.

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Rather disappointing. Mosty unfunny comedy. It is probably the Adam Sandler movie I enjoyed the least.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
Rather disappointing. Mosty unfunny comedy. It is probably the Adam Sandler movie I enjoyed the least.

Rating:
Interesting. I found it to be quite funny in the theatre. The only part I didn't like was the "morality speech" in the court room. The movie was pure fun with some good non-pc gags. And then they try to rub in the morale with the subtlety of a sledge hammer.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools