Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858521 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #930 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
     La vita è bella (1997/Italy)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universum Film (Germany)
Director:Roberto Benigni
Writing:Vincenzo Cerami (Writer), Roberto Benigni (Writer)
Length:119 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Roberto Benigni as Guido Orefice
Nicoletta Braschi as Dora
Giustino Durano as Eliseo Orefice
Sergio Bini Bustric as Ferruccio Papini
Lidia Alfonsi as Guicciardini

Plot:
A Jewish man has a wonderful romance with the help of his humour, but must use that same quality to protect his son in a Nazi death camp.

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1998)  Best Actor (Roberto Benigni)
Academy Award (1998)  Best Foreign Language Film
Academy Award (1998)  Best Music, Dramatic Score (Nicola Piovani)
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (1999)  Best Foreign-Language Film
Cannes Festival (1998)  Grand Prize (Roberto Benigni)
César (1997)  Meilleur Film Etranger (Roberto Benigni)
Deutscher Filmpreis (1999)  Bester ausländischer Film (Melampo Cinemato grafica, Elda Ferri, Gianluigi Braschi)
European Film Awards (1998)  European Actor (Roberto Benigni)
European Film Awards (1998)  European Film
National Board of Review Awards, USA (1998)  Special Achievement in Filmmaking (Roberto Benigni)
Screen Actors Guild Award (1998)  Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Roberto Benigni)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1998)  Best Director (Roberto Benigni)
Academy Award (1998)  Best Film Editing (Simona Paggi)
Academy Award (1998)  Best Picture (Elda Ferri, Gianluigi Braschi (Producers))
Academy Award (1998)  Best Writing, Original Screenplay (Vincenzo Cerami, Roberto Benigni)
British Independent Film Awards (1999)  Best Foreign Independent Film - Foreign Language
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (1999)  Best Picture
Directors Guild of America (1999)  Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures (Roberto Benigni)
Satellite Awards (1999)  Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great movie. Although the first half dragged a lot and the antics of Roberto Benigni started to be annoying. But the second half was very engaging. And being a movie about the holocaust, it of course won an Oscar and Roberto Benigni even got one as Best Actor.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
     The Secret of the Sword (1985/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

BCI Eclipse, Entertainment Rights (United States)
Director:Ed Friedman, Lou Kachivas, Marsh Lamore, Bill Reed, Gwen Wetzler
Writing:Larry Ditillio (Writer), Bob Forward (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
John Erwin as He-Man
Melendy Britt as She-Ra
Alan Oppenheimer as Skeletor
Linda Gary as Teela
George DiCenzo as Hordak

Plot:
For the honor of Grayskull! Experience the thrill, fantasy and excitement in the enchanted world of Etheria where She-Ra and her friends of The Great Rebellion battle the terrible Evil Horde to reclaim their once beautiful land from the hands of destruction!

This two-disc deluxe set comprises The Secret of the Sword - the theatrical picture that introduced She-Ra to a generation - and the Top Five tales from She-Ra , Princess of Power®, as voted by fans of this captivating, 93-episode series.

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I was in the mood to watch something related to the He-Man franchise, so I decided to watch this theatrical movie send-off to the She-Ra series. Essentially this movie, even though it was released in theatres before the series aired, was cut together from the first five episodes of the He-Man spin-off series. In a campy sort of way I still enjoy watching it to this day. I am not ashamed to admit that I loved watching the He-Man and She-Ra series when I was young and that I still enjoy watching it.
This "pilot" is a good introduction to She-Ra and we also get to see a lot of the character from the He-Man series again. Too bad that the new He-Man series didn't survive long enough to have She-Ra appearing. I really would have like to see her updated look and origin story.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 08, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
     Tangled (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Walt Disney Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Nathan Greno, Byron Howard
Writing:Dan Fogelman (Screenwriter)
Length:100 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Italian: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Mandy Moore as Rapunzel (voice)
Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider (voice)
Donna Murphy as Mother Gothel (voice)
Ron Perlman as Stabbington Brother (voice)
M.C. Gainey as Captain of the Guard (voice)

Plot:
Disney presents a new twist on one of the most hilarious and hair-raising tales ever told. Your whole family will get tangled up in the fun, excitement and adventure of this magical motion picture.

When the kingdom's most wanted - and most charming - bandit Flynn Rider hides in a mysterious tower, the last thing he expects to find is Rapunzel, a spirited teen with an unlikely superpower - 70 feet of magical golden hair! Together, the unlikely duo sets off on a fantastic journey filled with surprising heroes, laughter and suspense.

Let your hair down and get ready to cheer for Tangled. Bursting with never-before-seen bonus features, it's even more enchanting on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.

Awards:
Nominated:
Academy Award (2010)  Best Original Song ("I See the Light": Alan Menken, Glenn Slater)
Golden Globe (2010)  Best Animated Feature Film
Golden Globe (2010)  Best Original Song - Motion Picture ("I See The Light": Alan Menken (Music), Glenn Slater (Lyrics))

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this one. Even though it is mostly computer-generated, it goes back to the charm that Little Mermaid had for me. Also I found it really funny. There were some laugh out loud moments for me. The animation is first rate.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
     High School Musical (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Kenny Ortega
Writing:Peter Barsocchini (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Zac Efron as Troy Bolton
Vanessa Anne Hudgens as Gabriella Montez
Ashley Tisdale as Sharpay
Lucas Grabeel as Ryan
Alyson Reed as Ms. Darbus

Plot:
The all-new, smash-hit Disney Channel original movie everyone is talking about is now available for the first time ever on DVD --- with never-before-seen bonus features that will rock your house!

Troy (Zac Efron), the popular captain of the basketball team, and Gabriella (Vanessa Anne Hudgens), the brainy and beautiful member of the academic club, break all the rules of East High society when they secretly audition for the leads in the school's musical. As they reach for the stars and follow their dreams, everyone learns about acceptance, teamwork and being yourself. And it's all set to fun tunes and very cool dance moves!

Featuring the hottest talent, 'High School Musical' celebrates the power of music in this hip, entertaining, gotta-get-up-and-dance movie. Own all the excitement and the exclusive extras available only on this Encore Edition DVD.

Awards:
Won:
Primetime Emmy Awards (2006)  Outstanding Children's Program
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  TV - Choice Breakout Star, Female (Zack Efron)
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  TV - Choice Chemistry (Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Zac Efron)
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  TV - Choice Comedy/Musical Show
Nominated:
Primetime Emmy Awards (2006)  Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special (Kenny Ortega)
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  TV - Choice Breakout Star, Female (Vanessa Anne Hudgens)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I mostly heard negative things about this movie. But when I saw the trilogy set cheap, I was curious checking it out anyway. And I am glad I did. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting. It's far from a masterpiece, but as mix between standard teen comedy and a musical it worked surprisingly well. I am looking forward to seeing the other movies in this series.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
     High School Musical 2 (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Writing:Peter Barsocchini (Writer), Peter Barsocchini (Original Characters By)
Length:107 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dutch: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Dutch, English, Hindi, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Zac Efron as Troy Bolton
Vanessa Hudgens as Gabriella Montez
Ashley Tisdale as Sharpay Evans
Lucas Grabeel as Ryan Evans
Corbin Bleu as Chad Danforth

Plot:
The second instalment of High School Musical is bigger and better than ever with awesome exclusive bonus features that will blow your mind. Think you have the moves to groove with the East High Wildcats? Let the stars show you what they've got in an interactive dance-along that lets you control the action, and relive your favourite parts of the movie with an incredible virtual scrapbook!
It's the movie you love and so much more! High School Musical 2: Extended Dance Edition brings you inside the world of the Wildcats with "Bigger, Better, Best" bonus features - including deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes special and a first look at the highly-anticipated big-screen bash High School Musical 3: Senior Year!

Awards:
Won:
Teen Choice Awards (2007)  Choice TV Movie
Nominated:
Primetime Emmy Awards (2008)  Outstanding Children's Program
Primetime Emmy Awards (2008)  Outstanding Choreography (Kenny Ortega , Charles Klapow , Bonnie Story)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Positive to note is, that it looks like the complete cast and crew of the first movie is back. But this one was a big step back. At least in the non-music parts. It looks cheaper and amateurish. The acting is worse and the story is non-existent. But I enjoyed most of the music and the choreography. It got barely a 3 overall in my book.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
     High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Writing:Peter Barsocchini (Writer), Peter Barsocchini (Original Characters By)
Length:112 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, Hindi

Stars:
Zac Efron as Troy Bolton
Vanessa Hudgens as Gabriella Montez
Ashley Tisdale as Sharpay Evans
Lucas Grabeel as Ryan Evans
Corbin Bleu as Chad Danforth

Plot:
Let the celebration begin with High School Musical 3: Senior Year Extended Ediition! It doesn't get any better than this extended disc, complete with deleted scenes, cast bloopers and a never-before-seen extended version of the film!
You want it all - and now you can get it in this musical sensation fresh from the big screen! Find out what happens to your favourite Wildcats in this fully loaded Extended Edition. It's nonstop entertainment the whole family will love.

Awards:
Won:
ASCAP Awards (2009)  Top Box Office Films (Adam Anders, Antonina Armato, Andy Dodd, Matthew Gerrard, Nikki Hassman, Jamie Houston, David Lawrence, Robbie Nevil, Theodore Thomas, Theron Thomas, Timothy Thomas, Adam Watts)
MTV Movie Awards (2009)  Best Male Performance (Zac Efron)
MTV Movie Awards (2009)  Breakthrough Female Performance (Ashley Tisdale)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie - Music/Dance
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie Actor - Music/Dance (Zac Efron)
Nominated:
MTV Movie Awards (2009)  Best Kiss (Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Zac Efron)
MTV Movie Awards (2009)  Best Movie
MTV Movie Awards (2009)  Breakthrough Female Performance (Vanessa Anne Hudgens)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie Actor - Music/Dance (Corbin Bleu)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie Actress - Music/Dance (Ashley Tisdale)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie Actress - Music/Dance (Vanessa Anne Hudgens)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Movie Liplock (Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Zac Efron)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Music Album - Soundtrack
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Summer Male Hottie (Zac Efron)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie has better production values than the second one (no wonder, because it is the only theatrical release of this series). Also the acting is better. The story is still rather boring. Also the songs are very repetitive.
Overall I am glad that I saw this trilogy, even if it got worse. The first one was the best.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 11, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
     Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:David Hand
Writing:
Length:83 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Dutch: DTS 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, Italian, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
No film in history has captured the world's imagination like Walt Disney's first full-length animated masterpiece. Through astonishing Blu-ray™ high definition technology, experience this timeless classic in its most spectacular presentation ever! With a state-of-the-art digital restoration and Disney Enhanced High Definition sound, the breathtaking animation and unforgettable music of the most revered Disney film of all time will enthrall you like never before!

Join the beautiful princess Snow White as she escapes her jealous stepmother, the queen, and befriends a lovable group of dwarfs. But when she falls under the queen's wicked spell, only true love's kiss can save her.

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1938)  Special Award (Walt Disney)
AFI (1937)  100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI (1937)  100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
AFI (1937)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Some Day My Prince Will Come)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1937)  Best Music, Scoring (Leigh Harline (Score), Walt Disney Studio Music Department, Frank Churchill (Score), Paul J. Smith (Score))
AFI (1937)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Whistle While You Work)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Disney's first feature film and even after almost 75 years the animation still holds up. It's flawless. The movie isn't much dialog-driven, but by the score which is constantly accompanying the animation.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 11, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »
     The Little Mermaid (1989/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Musker, Ron Clements
Writing:John Musker (Writer), Ron Clements (Writer), Hans Christian Andersen (Original Material By)
Length:83 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Stars:
René Auberjonois as Louis (voice)
Christopher Daniel Barnes as Eric (voice)
Jodi Benson as Ariel (voice)
Pat Carroll as Ursula (voice)
Paddi Edwards as Flotsam & Jetsam (voice)

Plot:
The Little Mermaid, one of the most celebrated animated films of all time—and winner of two Academy Awards® (Best Music, Original Score; Best Music, Original Song, "Under The Sea," 1989)—splashes onto an exciting 2-Disc DVD with an all-new digital restoration.

Ariel, a fun-loving and mischievous mermaid, is off on the adventure of a lifetime with her best friend, the adorable Flounder, and the reggae-singing Caribbean crab Sebastian at her side. But it will take all of her courage and determination to make her dreams come true—and save her father's beloved kingdom from the sneaky sea witch Ursula!

Dive into a world of music and adventure in this new 2-Disc Special Edition your family will enjoy again and again!

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1989)  Best Music, Original Score (Alan Menken)
Academy Award (1989)  Best Music, Song ("Under The Sea": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
BMI Film & TV Music Awards (1990)  BMI Film Music Award (Alan Menken)
Golden Globe (1989)  Original Score (Alan Menken)
Golden Globe (1989)  Original Song ("Under The Sea": Alan Menken (Music), Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Grammy Awards (1991)  Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television ("Under the Sea": Alan Menken (composer), Howard Ashman (lyricist))
Young Artist Awards (1990)  Best Family Motion Picture – Adventure or Cartoon
Nominated:
Academy Award (1989)  Best Music, Song ("Kiss The Girl": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
AFI (1989)  100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI (1989)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Under the Sea)
Casting Society of America Awards (1990)  Best Casting for Feature Film – Comedy (Mary V. Buck, Susan Edelman)
Golden Globe (1989)  Original Song ("Kiss the Girl": Alan Menken (Music), Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Golden Globe (1989)  Picture - Musical or Comedy (Howard Ashman, John Musker)
Grammy Awards (1991)  Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television (Alan Menken (For the original motion picture soundtrack))
Grammy Awards (1991)  Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television ("Kiss the Girl": Howard Ashman, Alan Menken)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Music Videos
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
After "Tangled" I am in a Disney princess movies mood. So I watched Little Mermaid again. I always enjoyed this movie. I especially enjoy the songs in this one. These are among the most memorable of the Disney songs.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 12, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »
     The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:Jim Kammerud
Writing:Elizabeth Anderson (Writer), Temple Mathews (Writer)
Length:72 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.66
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Danish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Norwegian: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Jodi Benson as Ariel (voice)
Samuel E. Wright as Sebastian (voice)
Tara Charendoff as Melody (voice)
Pat Carroll as Morgana (voice)
Buddy Hackett as Scuttle (voice)

Plot:
Disney's spectacular undersea classic, 'The Little Mermaid', lives on in an all-new story bursting with the same captivating musical style, unforgettably colourful characters and brilliant animation that made the original film an Academy Award winning favourite.
After rejoicing over the birth of their daughter Melody, Ariel and Eric face a new threat - from Ursula's revengeful sister Morgana - that forces them to hide Melody's true mermaid heritage. But Melody ultimately ventures into the sea and, in her dream to be a mermaid, beocmes a pawn in Morgana's plot to control the seven seas. Now, Ariel must reunite her childhood friends, Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle, to rescue her daughter and restore harmony to her family. An all-star cast returns, including Jodi Benson (Ariel) and Samuel E. Wright (Sebastian), for a remarkable adventure teeming with surprises and five phenomenal new songs.

Awards:
Nominated:
Annie Awards (2001)  Outstanding Individual Achievment for Music Score in an Animated Feature Production (Danny Troob)
Annie Awards (2001)  Outstanding Individual Achievment for Voice Acting by a Female Performer in an Animated Feature Production (Tara Strong - As the voice of Melody)

Extras:
  • Interactive Game
  • Read-along
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A rather good sequel. Even though it is nothing really special, I enjoy it. Nice reversal of the original's storyline. This time around the daughter of Ariel, being a human, is longing to be a mermaid.
The songs are okay. I especially enjoy two of them.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 12, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
     Despicable Me (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Pictures (United Kingdom)
Director:Chris Renaud, Pierre Coffin
Writing:Cinco Paul (Screenwriter), Ken Daurio (Screenwriter), Sergio Pablos (Original Material By)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Portuguese: DTS 5.1, Catalonian: DTS 5.1, Icelandic: DTS 5.1, Turkish: DTS 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Arabic, Catalonian, Commentary, English, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Steve Carell as Gru (voice)
Jason Segel as Vector (voice)
Russell Brand as Dr Nefario (voice)
Julie Andrews as Gru's Mom (voice)
Will Arnett as Mr. Perkins (voice)

Plot:
In a happy suburban neighbourhood with its well-kept gardens and white picket fences, sits a black house with a dead lawn! This is the secret hideout of Gru (Steve Carell), who, with his army of excitable little yellow minions, plans to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

Armed with his arsenal of shrink rays, freeze guns and battle-ready vehicles for land and air, Gru is accustomed to defeating all who stand in his way. But the arrival of three little orphaned girls, and their determination to make him their Dad, threatens his reputation as a SUPER-VILLIAN!

Awards:
Nominated:
Teen Choice Awards (2010)  Choice Summer Movie

Extras:
  • BD-Live
  • Commentary
  • Digital Copy
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Mini-Movies
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have to admit that I was expecting to like this film more. It's okay, and the beginning was promising. But overall it's not something which is a must-see.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 12, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »
     Splash (1984/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Touchstone Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Ron Howard
Writing:Brian Grazer (Original Material By), Bruce Jay Friedman (Story By), Lowell Ganz (Screenwriter), Babaloo Mandel (Screenwriter), Bruce Jay Friedman (Screenwriter)
Length:105 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Croatian, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Tom Hanks as Allen Bauer
Daryl Hannah as Madison
Eugene Levy as Walter Kornbluth
John Candy as Freddie Bauer
Dody Goodman as Mrs. Stimler

Plot:
Alan Bauer nearly drowned as a child but has memories of being saved by a young mermaid. When he is jilted as an adult and loses his wallet in the surf, the young mermaid tries to return it. They are soulmates who have been meant for each other, but Madison fears how he will react when he finds out she is not human.

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (1984)  Best Actress (Daryl Hannah)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1984)  Best Writing, Original Screenplay (Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel, Bruce Jay Friedman (Screenplay); Bruce Jay Friedman (Screen Story); Brian Grazer (Story))
AFI (1984)  100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
AFI (1984)  100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
Golden Globe (1984)  Picture - Musical or Comedy (Brian Grazer)
Saturn (1984)  Best Director (Ron Howard)
Saturn (1984)  Best Fantasy Film
Saturn (1984)  Best Makeup (Robert J. Schiffer)
Saturn (1984)  Best Supporting Actor (John Candy)
Writers Guild of America Awards (1985)  Best Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen (Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel, Bruce Jay Friedman)
Young Artist Awards (1985)  Best Family Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
After watching the first two Little Mermaid movies I was in the mood to rewatch Splash. I always enjoyed it. I remember seeing the sequel to this years ago on TV, but I hadn't enjoyed it. Though I don't really remember anything of it.

Rating:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #941 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
     Despicable Me (2010/United States)
My Thoughts:
I have to admit that I was expecting to like this film more. It's okay, and the beginning was promising. But overall it's not something which is a must-see.

Rating:
Have to agree.
A very promising beginning, but then the whole thing rapidly turned into a movie for children up to an age of 8.
Sadly the whole script only would have sufficed to fill a pre-evening cartoon show and it was stretched to full feature length.
I expected too much of it and was disappointed in the end.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
     Beauty and the Beast (1991/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (Canada)
Director:Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise
Writing:Linda Woolverton (Screenwriter), Roger Allers (Story By), Brenda Chapman (Story By), Christopher Sanders (Story By), Burny Mattinson (Story By), Kevin Harkey (Story By), Brian Pimental (Story By), Bruce Woodside (Story By), Joe Ranft (Story By), Tom Ellery (Story By), Kelly Asbury (Story By), Robert Lence (Story By), John Sanford (Story By), Roger Allers (Story By), Kevin Harkey (Story By), Brian Pimental (Story By)
Length:91 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Stars:
Robby Benson as Beast (voice)
Jesse Corti as LeFou (voice)
Rex Everhart as Maurice (voice)
Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts (voice)
Paige O'Hara as Belle (voice)

Plot:
Disney's most acclaimed and beloved film just got even better! With its incomparable blend of magic and award winning music, Beauty And The Beast won the prestigious Golden Globe for Best Picture* and is the only animated film ever nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award®. Now magnificently restored and remastered, Beauty And The Beast Special Edition features an all new song, "Human Again," seamlessly integrated into the film.

And in this groundbreaking 2-Disc Platinum Edition DVD, you'll enter the Beast's castle and explore its many secrets - with three versions of the film, never-before-seen movie secrets, exciting games featuring all-new animation and more!

Disney magic reigns supreme in this triumphant 2-Disc Platinum Edition DVD - a must for every DVD library.

* 1991 Best Comedy or Musical

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1991)  Best Music, Original Score (Alan Menken)
Academy Award (1991)  Best Music, Song ("Belle": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
AFI (1991)  100 Years of Musicals (2006)
AFI (1991)  100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI (1991)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Beauty and the Beast)
Annie Awards (1992)  Best Animated Feature (Walt Disney Pictures)
ASCAP Awards (1993)  Most Performed Songs from Motion Pictures ("Beauty and the Beast": Howard Ashman, Alan Menken)
BMI Film & TV Music Awards (1992)  BMI Film Music Award (Alan Menken)
Golden Globe (1991)  Original Score (Alan Menken)
Golden Globe (1991)  Original Song ("Beauty and the Beast": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Golden Globe (1991)  Picture - Musical or Comedy (Don Hahn)
Grammy Awards (1993)  Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television (Alan Menken (For the instrumental score portion of the soundtrack))
Grammy Awards (1993)  Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television ("Beauty and the Beast": Howard Ashman, Alan Menken)
National Board of Review Awards, USA (1991)  Special Award for Animation
Nominated:
Academy Award (1991)  Best Music, Song ("Be Our Guest": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Academy Award (1991)  Best Music, Song ("Beauty and the Beast": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Academy Award (1991)  Best Picture (Don Hahn (Producer))
Academy Award (1991)  Best Sound (Terry Porter, Mel Metcalfe, David J. Hudson, Doc Kane)
AFI (1991)  100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI (1991)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Be Our Guest)
BAFTA (1992)  Achievement In Special Effects (Randy Fullmer)
BAFTA (1992)  Original Film Music (Alan Menken, Howard Ashman)
Golden Globe (1991)  Original Song ("Be Our Guest": Alan Menken (Music); Howard Ashman (Lyrics))
Hugo Award (1992)  Dramatic Presentation
Saturn (1992)  Best Fantasy Film
Saturn (1992)  Best Music (Alan Menken)

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Music Videos
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Three Versions of Feature Film
  • THX certified
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
Probably the best Disney movie, but for some reason I don't enjoy it quite as much as others. But I still think it's great. And it has some really great songs. Some of the best that Disney has to offer. Alan Menken has yet to disappoint me. Though I haven't seen all the Disney movies he provided music for yet. So far I have seen "Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast", "Enchanted" and "Tangled". I definately have to get Aladdin and maybe also Pocahontas.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
     Tangled (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Nathan Greno, Byron Howard
Writing:Dan Fogelman (Screenwriter)
Length:100 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Italian: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Mandy Moore as Rapunzel (voice)
Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider (voice)
Donna Murphy as Mother Gothel (voice)
Ron Perlman as Stabbington Brother (voice)
M.C. Gainey as Captain of the Guard (voice)

Plot:
Disney presents a new twist on one of the most hilarious and hair-raising tales ever told. Your whole family will get tangled up in the fun, excitement and adventure of this magical motion picture.

When the kingdom's most wanted - and most charming - bandit Flynn Rider hides in a mysterious tower, the last thing he expects to find is Rapunzel, a spirited teen with an unlikely superpower - 70 feet of magical golden hair! Together, the unlikely duo sets off on a fantastic journey filled with surprising heroes, laughter and suspense.

Let your hair down and get ready to cheer for Tangled. Bursting with never-before-seen bonus features, it's even more enchanting on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.

Awards:
Nominated:
Academy Award (2010)  Best Original Song ("I See the Light": Alan Menken, Glenn Slater)
Golden Globe (2010)  Best Original Song - Motion Picture ("I See The Light": Alan Menken (Music), Glenn Slater (Lyrics))

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
It's been two weeks since I got this movie. And just now I watched it for the fifth time! And still enjoyed every minute of it. The first time around, even though I enjoyed the songs, I thought they were nothing special. But then I couldn't stop listening to them and now I think they are great.
Rapunzel is just a fun character to watch. And also is Pascal, her pet chameleon. Usually I don't like animal sidekicks all that much, but Pascal is just a riot. It's a good choice that they didn't make him a talking animal. He is funny just with the looks he gives. It's worth rewatching the movie just for him by concentrating on him instead of Rapunzel. They are some stuff he does that I missed the first time around.
The following is my favourite song in this movie. In my opinion it gets across the character of Rapunzel perfectly. Mandy Moore did a perfect job in my opinion.

Currently my favourite Disney movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
     Toy Story (1995/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Disney DVD (Germany)
Director:John Lasseter
Writing:John Lasseter (Original Material By), Pete Docter (Original Material By), Andrew Stanton (Original Material By), Joe Ranft (Original Material By), Joss Whedon (Screenwriter), Andrew Stanton (Screenwriter), Joel Cohen (Screenwriter), Alec Sokolow (Screenwriter)
Length:77 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Bulgarian: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, German, Spanish

Stars:
Englische Stimmen
Tom Hanks as Woody (voice)
Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear (voice)
Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head (voice)
Jim Varney as Slinky Dog (voice)
Wallace Shawn as Rex (voice)

Plot:
Ein Kinoerfolg in einer neuen Dimension: TOY STORY wurde für seine perfekte Animationstechnik mit einem Oscar® prämiert! Endlich gibt es das total witzige und spannende Abenteuer zweier gegensätzlicher Spielzeughelden auf DVD!

Als der supercoole Space Ranger Buzz Lightyear auftaucht, wird er sofort zum Lieblingsspielzeug seines Besitzers Andy. Deswegen sieht der Cowboy Woody seine Vormachtstellung im Kinderzimmer in höchster Gefahr. Doch als sie den Streichen eines bösen Nachbarsjungen ausgesetzt sind, müssen die beiden Rivalen Woody und Buzz zu Freunden werden und als Team zusammenarbeiten. Unterstützt durch ihre gemeinsamen Freunde aus Andys Spielzeugkiste, beginnt für Woody und Buzz eine atemberaubende Flucht nach Hause ...

Ein rasantes Filmerlebnis voller Spaß, Spannung und Action, das einfach jeden begeistert. Danach sieht man die Welt mit völlig anderen Augen!

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1995)  Special Achievement Award (John Lasseter (Leadership of the Pixar 'Toy Story' team))
AFI (1995)  100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Animated Feature (Walt Disney Feature Animation, Pixar)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Animation (Pete Docter)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Directing (John Lasseter)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Music (Randy Newman)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Producing (Bonnie Arnold, Ralph Guggenheim)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Production Design (Ralph Eggleston)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Technical Achievement (Pixar)
Annie Awards (1996)  Best Individual Achievement: Writing (Andrew Stanton, Joss Whedon, Joel Cohen, Alec Sokolow)
ASCAP Awards (1996)  Top Box Office Films (Randy Newman)
Young Artist Awards (1996)  Best Family Feature – Musical or Comedy
Nominated:
Academy Award (1995)  Best Music, Musical or Comedy Score (Randy Newman)
Academy Award (1995)  Best Music, Song ("You've Got a Friend": Randy Newman (Music/Lyrics))
Academy Award (1995)  Best Writing, Original Screenplay (Joss Whedon, Andrew Stanton, Joel Cohen, Alec Sokolow (Screenplay); John Lasseter, Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton, Joe Ranft (Story))
AFI (1995)  100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
AFI (1995)  100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI (1995)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": You've Got a Friend in Me)
BAFTA (1996)  Achievement In Special Visual Effects (Eben Fiske Ostby, William Reeves)
Golden Globe (1995)  Original Song ("You've Got a Friend In Me": Randy Newman (Music/Lyrics))
Golden Globe (1995)  Picture - Musical or Comedy (Bonnie Arnold, Ralph Guggenheim)
Hugo Award (1996)  Dramatic Presentation
MTV Movie Awards (1996)  Best On-screen Duo (Tom Hanks and Tim Allen)
Saturn (1995)  Best Fantasy Film
Saturn (1995)  Best Writing (Joss Whedon, Alec Sokolow, Andrew Stanton, Joel Cohen)

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Kurzfilm ''Tin Toy''
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this one for years. I have to say, I wouldn't have thought that the animation would have aged quite as much. Computer animation has made so much improvement since then, that it is difficult at first to watch this first full-length computer animated movie.
The story is still great though. Typical Pixar.

Rating: