Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858488 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #855 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
     Chuck: Season Three (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United Kingdom)
Length:784 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, Swedish

Plot:
Chuck is back and he's the Chuck you know: the hapless Nerd Herder hopelessly devoted to sexy super spy Sarah. And he's the Chuck you don't know: a master martial artist whose brain is locked and loaded with the new Intersect 2.0. How the two Chucks clash, bash and (sometimes) cooperate makes this 5-disc, 19-Episode Complete Season 3 total, action packed fun. More new stuff: A dashing rival (Brandon Routh) joins the team, someone from Chucks Buy More life discovers his secret and Chuck learns the spy biz can turn the nicest guy dark and dangerous. "For the last two years, we've protected Chuck from the world" the General notes. "But now we have to protect the world from Chuck"

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access
  • The Jeffster revolution: The definitive mockumentary

My Thoughts:
"Chuck" is a strange kind of series to me. I am not that driven to watch the next season. I usually wait for the price to drop, and even when I have bought it, it takes awhile before I come around watching it. But when I put the first disc in, I cannot stop watching it. I have watched now the complete third season in three days. For me the quality stayed a constant high.
(click to show/hide)

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 22, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
     Wake up S!d (2009/India)
IMDb | Wikipedia

UTV Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Ayan Mukerji
Writing:Niranjan Iyangar (Screenwriter), Ayan Mukerji (Story By), Ayan Mukerji (Screenwriter)
Length:140 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:Hindi: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, English

Stars:
Ranbir Kapoor as Sid
Konkona Sen Sharma as Aisha
Supriya Pathak
Anupam Kher
Rahul Khanna

Plot:
Sid is a qunitessential Mumbai slacker boy - wealthy, lazy and completely lacking in focus. An unexpected meeting with Aisha, a driven, bold and ambitious writer from Calcutta, results in a summer of discoveries, realizations and coming of age.

Awards:
Won:
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Debut Director (Ayan Mukherjee)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Female Playback Singer ("Iktara": Kavita Seth)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Critics Award for Best Performance (Ranbir Kapoor)
IIFA Awards (2010)  Best Female Playback ("Ek Tara": Kavita Seth)
Nominated:
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Actor (Ranbir Kapoor)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Director (Ayan Mukerji)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Film
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Lyricist ("Iktara": Javed Akhtar)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Music Director (Shankar Ehsaan Loy)
Filmfare Awards (2010)  Best Supporting Actress (Supriya Pathak)
IIFA Awards (2010)  Best Actor (Ranbir Kapoor)
IIFA Awards (2010)  Best Director (Ayan Mukerji)
IIFA Awards (2010)  Best Story (Ayan Mukherji)
IIFA Awards (2010)  Best Supporting Actress (Supriya Pathak)

Extras:
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Just your regular story of a rich spoiled boy who is directionless, but after leaving home and moving in with a female friends learns responsibility and finds his calling. Also falls in love with the girl, of course. Even though the movie has no surprises, it was fun to watch. Although I was a little sad that there were no dance numbers :laugh:
But there were some nice background songs.
If you like Ranbir Kapoor in this movie, I can recommend checking out "Bachna Ae Haseeno".

Rating:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 23, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »
I watched that one not too long ago for the very first time... I was surprised how much I really did enjoy it. Great movie!  :)

Tom's review popped up so I decided to read it and the follow-up comments...

Pete...enjoying a Sandra Bullock movie...shocking!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 23, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
Don't know how old the quote is from... what movie were we talking about Kathy? I would guess The Proposal?
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Don't know how old the quote is from... what movie were we talking about Kathy? I would guess The Proposal?

It was "While You Were Sleeping".
I haven't seen "The Proposal" yet. As a matter of fact, I only just ordered it today, after the price of the Blu finally dropped.

Edit: And the quote is from 2009-05-15, 12:39:29 ;)
And the date above the quote links directly to the quote itself.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »
I knew that  :bag:  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 24, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
Thanks Tom - I thought I had quoted you both. It helps to know what I'm talking about doesn't it?!? :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 24, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
     Ghost Whisperer: Season Two (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:967 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Plot:
Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) has the ability to communicate with the earthbound spirits of people who died, providing deeply moving and important closure for them and their loved ones.

This season Melinda and her husband, Jim Claney, (David Conrad) are joined by new friend and employee Delia Banks (Camryn Manheim), as Melinda battles the dark forces taking over her beloved town of Grandview. Discover her unbelievable adventure in all 22 second-season episodes.

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (2006)  Best Actress in a Television Series (Jennifer Love Hewitt)
Saturn (2007)  Best Actress on Television (Jennifer Love Hewitt)
Nominated:
Primetime Emmy Awards (2007)  Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Dramatic Underscore) (Mark Snow)
Saturn (2005)  Best Actress in a Television Series (Jennifer Love Hewitt)
Teen Choice Awards (2007)  Choice TV Actress - Drama (Jennifer Love Hewitt)
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  TV - Choice Breakout Show

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Speed Painting Video
  • Tarot cards
  • Trailers
  • Webisodes

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the first season of this series. So of course I bought the second one. But after watching a few episodes I just couldn't get into it. I stopped watching after half of the season and it took me over three years to finally start watching it again and finish it off. Only because I constantly see the third season for a really good price and I thought I should give it a further chance. But I just didn't like it and it looks like I will stop this series here.
This series is just too fake looking. With dull and "fake" characters and boring stories. The new character are uninteresting. Added to that Jennifer Love Hewitt just isn't good to look at here. Just too much make-up and very unflattering clothing. Looks like she got herself a little bit of a big butt which clashes with her stick-thin figure and the costume designer tried to hide this fact with horrible result.
Fun to see was that Tom Wilson (Biff from BTTF) had a regular guest spot on a series which is shot on the same "Courthouse Square" back lot on which BTTF was shot. But in this series they used this back lot badly. They shot almost every outside scene there which made it look like everything was happening on the same street.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
One of my all-time favorites. I am looking forward to getting the fifth (final) season as soon as my finances allows me to. :)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »
     The Proposal (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Touchstone Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Anne Fletcher
Writing:Peter Chiarelli (Writer)
Length:108 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Italian: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Margaret Tate
Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton
Mary Steenburgen as Grace Paxton
Craig T. Nelson as Joe Paxton
Betty White as Grandma Annie

Plot:
Sandra Bullock is at her funniest in The Proposal — the fresh, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy in this Blu-ray™ and DVD combi pack.

On the verge of being deported and losing the high-powered job she lives for, the controlling Margaret (Bullock) announces she's engaged to her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). After proposing a few demands of his own, the mismatched couple heads to Alaska, where they have four short days to convince his quirky family and a very skeptical immigration agent that their charade is real. Featuring a star-studded supporting cast, including Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson and the delightfully inappropriate Betty White, this madcap comedy will have you saying "yes" to The Proposal again and again —especially in Blu-ray™ High Definition picture and theatre-quality sound.

Awards:
Won:
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Summer Movie - Romance
Nominated:
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2010)  Best Comedy Movie
Golden Globe (2009)  Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy (Sandra Bullock)
Golden Globe (2010)  Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy (Sandra Bullock)
MTV Movie Awards (2010)  Best Comedic Performance (Ryan Reynolds)
MTV Movie Awards (2010)  Best Comedic Performance (Sandra Bullock)
MTV Movie Awards (2010)  Best Kiss (Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds)
MTV Movie Awards (2010)  Best WTF Moment ("feels up Sandra Bullock during a wedding dress fitting": Betty White)
Teen Choice Awards (2009)  Choice Summer Female Hottie (Sandra Bullock)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie had a great start. There were even some scenes were I had to laugh out loud. The second half became too average though. But as a whole I enjoyed it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 29, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
     Leap Year (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Optimum Releasing (United Kingdom)
Director:Anand Tucker
Writing:Deborah Kaplan (Writer), Harry Elfont (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Amy Adams as Anna
Matthew Goode as Declan
Adam Scott as Jeremy
John Lithgow as Jack Brady
Noel O'Donovan as Seamus

Plot:
Amy Adams (Enchanted, Doubt, Julie & Julia) and Matthew Goode (Watchmen, Match Point) star in LEAP YEAR, a romantic comedy that follows one woman's determined quest to get married to the perfect guy... despite what fate has in store for her.

When their four-year anniversary passes without a marriage proposal, Anna decides to take matters into her own hands. Hearing of an Irish tradition that allows women to propose to men on February 29th, Anna decides to follow her boyfriend Jeremy (Adam Scott, Step Brothers, Mother-In-Law) to Dublin and get down on one knee herself.

But airplanes, weaather and fate leave Anna stranded on the other side of Ireland, and she must enlist the help of handsome and surly Declan to get her across the country. As Anna and Declan bicker across the Emerald Isle, they discover that the road to lova can take you to very unexpected places.

Directed by Anand Tucker (Shopgirl, Hilary and Jackie), Leap Year is from a screenplay by Deborah Kaplan & Harry Elfont (Made of Honor, Surviving Christmas).

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
Very average. This movie didn't even manage to keep my attention throughout. Too bad that John Lithgow was only in one scene. I think he could have saved this movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
    I Hate Luv Storys (2010/India)
IMDb | Wikipedia

UTV Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Punit Malhotra
Writing:Punit Malhotra (Story By), Punit Malhotra (Screenwriter)
Length:134 min.
Audio:Hindi: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, English

Stars:
Imran Khan as Jay
Sonam A Kapoor as Simran
Sammir Dattani
Samir Soni
Kavin Dave

Plot:
'I HATE LUV STORYS' is the maxim Jay lives by. But as an assistant director to Veer, the most famous romantic filmmaker of Indian Film Industry, Jay has little option but to live with larger than life, glossy, cinematic love on an everyday basis. Things only get worse when he is made to work under the new production designer on the film... Simran, with whom he shares the strangest first encounter.

Simran loves love stories. So much so that her life has begun to resemble one. With her ideal job and perfect boyfriend Raj, she lives a blissful, dreamy life. One that is rudely interrupted by Jay's cynicism.

The turmoil's of Jay and SImrans life, is ironically interweaved with the Love Story that they are working on.... But will Jay and Simran ever find their own Love Story???

Awards:
Nominated:
Filmfare Awards (2011)  Best Lyricist ("Bin Tere": Vishal Dadlani)
Filmfare Awards (2011)  Best Music Director (Vishal-Shekhar)
Filmfare Awards (2011)  Best Playback Singer - Female ("Bahara": Shreya Ghoshal)
Filmfare Awards (2011)  Best Playback Singer - Male ("Bin Tere": Shafqat Amanat Ali)

Extras:
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
An okay movie. Nothing special. I liked the music. The main actor reminded me a lot of Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc) here. I have to admit, that I have seen all movies which were referenced/payed tribute to/made fun of. I am not sure which of these three it was :laugh:
As much as I love the song "Maahi Ve" from "Kal Ho Naa Ho", I think they used it too much here.
Towards the end they used a score which reminded me very much of the score in the last scene of Kick-Ass. I am not sure if it was on purpose or just a coincidence.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 03, 2011, 11:06:56 PM »
     Ishq Vishk (2003/India)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Moser Baer Home Video (India)
Director:Ken Ghosh
Writing:Kiran Kotrial (Screenwriter), Vinod Rangnath (Screenwriter), Ken Ghosh (Story By)
Length:129 min.
Audio:Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Stars:
Shahid as Rajiv
Amrita as Payal
Shenaz as Alisha
Vishal Malhotra
Kapil Zaveri

Awards:
Won:
Filmfare Awards (2004)  Best Male Debut Award (Shahid Kapoor)
Nominated:
Filmfare Awards (2004)  Best Female Playback Award ("Chot Dil Pe Lagi": Alisha Chinai)
Filmfare Awards (2004)  Best Supporting Actress Award (Shenaz Treasurywala)

Extras:
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Despite the bad picture and sound quality, I enjoyed watching this little movie. Mainly because of Amrita Rao, of course. But again the big movie cliché persists: The hottest girl in the cast (Amrita) plays the supposedly plain childhood friend who is in love with the main character.
What I didn't like about the movie is the constant personality switch of Shahid Kapoor's character.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
     (500) Days of Summer (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Marc Webb
Writing:Scott Neustadter (Writer), Michael H. Weber (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, Portuguese: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Czech: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, Estonian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Other, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish

Stars:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tom
Zooey Deschanel as Summer
Geoffrey Arend as McKenzie
Chloë Grace Moretz as Rachel
Matthew Gray Gubler as Paul

Plot:
Dies ist die Geschichte von einem Jungen und einem Mädchen. Aber keine Liebesgeschichte. So sieht es jedenfalls die bezaubernde Summer (Zooey Deschanel), in die sich der Grußkartenschreiber Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) unsterblich verliebt hat. Doch ist es so, wie sie es sagt oder ist da noch mehr? Für ihn ist Summer ein magisches Mysterium, das ihn in einen Rausch zwischen Euphorie und Melancholie stürzt. Doch es wird 500 Tage dauern, bis Summer weiß, ob Tom der Richtige für sie ist…

Awards:
Won:
National Board of Review Awards, USA (2009)  Spotlight Award (Marc Webb)
Nominated:
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2010)  Best Comedy Movie
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2010)  Best Screenplay, Original (Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber)
Golden Globe (2009)  Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
Golden Globe (2010)  Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
Golden Globe (2009)  Picture - Musical or Comedy
Golden Globe (2010)  Picture - Musical or Comedy

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I quite enjoyed this movie. I liked the non-linear narrative, which makes this movie refreshing. Zooey Deschanel is lovely as always. Also Joseph Gordon-Levitt was good. I can imagine Chloe Moretz winning the role of Hit-Girl because of her performance in this movie (I don't know if that was the case though).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 06, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »
     The Tournament (2009/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Entertainment in Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Scott Mann
Writing:Gary Young (Writer), Jonathan Frank (Writer), Nick Rowntree (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1

Stars:
Robert Carlyle as Father MacAvoy
Kelly Hu as Lai Lai Zhen
Ian Somerhalder as Miles Slade
Liam Cunningham as Powers
Ving Rhames as Joshua Harlow

Plot:
Every seven years in an unsuspecting town, ‘The Tournament’ takes place - a secret hitman competition between 30 of the world’s deadliest assassins; with the last man standing receiving a £10m cash prize. The Tournament is set up by a syndicate of high stake billionaire gamblers, watching the mayhem unfold via CCTV cameras, betting on its outcome.

Only one will survive...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I first saw this one at the FantasyFilmFest. I saw the trailer to this at the screening of some other FantasyFilmFest movies, and I thought "Oh no, I have ticket for this and it looks boring". But I was surprised that I very much enjoyed it. Definately better then the trailer suggested.
If you are looking for a straight-up action movie whose premise is a little similar to Battle Royale, this is the right one for you.

Rating: