Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Marathon  (Read 15173 times)

Najemikon

Re: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Marathon
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
I agree, it can be a cheap trick, but I don't think that was the case at all here. I can barely remember the episode, but I remember it underlined a sense that Buffy was able to do her "job" without involving her friends. Including her friends watching.  ;)

A similar example where it is cheap is Ocean's Thirteen, a film I enjoy, but does resort to a silly twist in a twist when we really didn't need one. There, it was pretentious "oh we're so clever" writing.

Critter

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:37 AM »
Choices

Plot: When Wesley tells her she cannot leave Sunnydale to go to a fine college, Buffy launches an offensive to shut down the Mayor's plans for Ascension. Willow chooses among colleges while Xander plans a road trip.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this episode and it is just another where Alyson Hannigan really shines as Willow. Her performance is just brilliant and that scene during her capture where she confronts Faith is certainly the highlight of the episode. Another quite pivotal moment is the Mayors little speech to Buffy and Angel about how they have no future together, and while being the antagonist of the series you can tell that they cannot deny that he is right. This moment will lead to the inevitable break-up of Buffy and Angel. This episode does well to further develop the build-up to the Mayors big moment and also develop the relationship between him and Faith. There is also that lovely moment at the end when Willow chooses to stay in Sunnydale with Buffy who is starting to realise that she may never be able to leave.

Rating: 4/5

Critter

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
The Prom

Plot: Angel decides to do the right thing and break up with Buffy. Meanwhile, Buffy has to save the prom from Hellhounds with a fetish for formal wear. Angel shows up for the last dance.

My  Thoughts: It seems to me that while this is a good episode, not a lot really seems to happen. Sure we have Buffy and Angel breaking up, but at the same time we knew that was going to happen so it's not some huge surprise. Another storyline of this episode is the whole thing about Cordelia now being broke, and not even having enough money to buy a prom dress. I do like this but I feel that it comes way too late. I mean Cordelia is only going to be on the show for two more episodes after this and that's when they break this news? I feel if they started this earlier then it could have been a great way to develop Cordelias character on the show before she moved off to Angel. The highlight of the episode is of course that moment at the prom. Jonathan's speech is surprisingly memorable considering who they chose to deliver it and it really is a great moment in the show. As per usual with some of the costumes here these 'Hellhounds' looked hilariously bad, much like the werewolf costume. I suppose that's all part of the charm of the early seasons.

Rating:3½/5

Critter

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
Graduation Day (Part 1)

Plot: While the Mayor prepares for his Ascension, Faith goes around "tying up" loose ends, one of those being Angel. Faith shoots Angel with a poisoned arrow, and Buffy must battle Faith to save Angel's life, needing her Slayer blood as antidote.

My Thoughts: What. A. Fight! Without a doubt this has to have one of the best fight scenes of season three of Buffy... hell maybe even all the seasons so far. Watching those two slayers just throw everything they have at each other was really stunning, very violent yet energetic and exciting. The build-up of tension is handled nicely in this episode as the true scale of what our gang will have to face in upcoming events starts to unfold, and a real sense of foreboding haunts all of the characters. The idea of Faith poisoning Angel to distract Buffy is interesting, and so is the antidote. While I felt at the end of the episode they made it maybe a little obvious that Faith had survived, it's still sad to see her go. Especially since I know I won't be seeing her again until season 7. I also love in this episode how Anya starts to become a much important character, which is setting her up to somewhat replace Cordelia from season 4 onwards. While I loved Cordelia, Anya always makes me laugh and I love it when she becomes a regular character.

Rating: 4/5

Critter

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Graduation Day (Part 2)

Plot: Buffy forces Angel to feed on her to save his life and he must rush her to the hospital to save hers. The Mayor, as a guest speaker at Sunnydale, Ascends and becomes the demon Olvikan. Meanwhile, Faith remains in a coma, from which the doctors expect her never to wake.

My Thoughts: Talk about going out with a bang! This has to be one of my favourite season finales out of the entire show. I love the preparation scene which crossed back and forth from our Scooby gang to the Mayor and his minions. I think the Mayor was maybe too easy to kill... in the end though I suppose they couldn't have made the entire episode one long fight so it worked out the way it was. So Angel is off to make his own show, and Cordelia and Wesley are going to follow. To be honest the only one I will really miss is Cordelia and her hilarious lines. Snyder is also one I will miss as he was also a great source of many of season three's funniest lines... annoying as he may have been it was almost a shame to see him get gobbled up by the Mayor amongst all the madness.

Rating: 5/5

Critter

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
Okay so 56 episodes down and 88 more to go  :training:.
I'm going to take a break from this marathon and do another (shorter) one in between, then continue on from season 4.