Author Topic: Who likes Comics?  (Read 14289 times)

Najemikon

Re: Who likes Comics?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
To put it in perspective, I've read British comics for years and get very drawn into the style. I have yet to find a comic based on a film or TV show that I find anywhere near as readable. The Buffy comics have been around since the series was still at its peak, same with X-Files. I found both to be rather flat (I know it's on paper, but still! :P) and I find the efforts to make the characters look as much like the actors a bit off putting. I've read occasional film adaptations and they just don't work. I enjoyed the Firefly comics, but again, they had nothing to offer against proper comics. Great writers and artists work on them but seem throttled by having to toe the line.

It's like they don't interpret what they see so you end up with a drawing of what's on the TV screen. It just can't work properly.

All that said, I do tend to find a lot of American comics get pedestrian.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
pedestrian.
Just learned a new word meaning.
For me "pedestrian" always was someone who walks on the boardwalk, wasn't even aware that it could mean "boring" too.

I live and learn

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
 :laugh: In effect it's the same thing. If you walk between two locations, you're resigned to doing something repetitive, predictable and done with minimal effort. ;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
pedestrian.
Just learned a new word meaning.
For me "pedestrian" always was someone who walks on the boardwalk, wasn't even aware that it could mean "boring" too.

I live and learn

Me too.

My favourite childhood comic was an east-german one called "Mosaik". It was about three (let's call them) kobolds Abrax, Brabax & Califax who travelled the world in different times. As long as East Germany was still around each arc was two years long (spanning 24 issues). After that they travelled either to another country or were transported through time by some magic.

They didn't have any magicks themselves, they're just smaller than normal people and don't seem to age.

The series started in the year 1630 in a region that is Croatia today, at the Adriatic Sea. The villagers are caught in the conflict between the Republic of Venice (Italy) and the Ottoman Empire (Turkey). After that they go to Austria, France (Louis XIV), Spain (Don Quixote) and later travel back to the crusades.

Next month issue #420 (Abrafaxe reckoning) will be published and while I still collect it I stopped reading it a few years ago. I guess I'll have to play catch up some time.

But I still enjoy reading the early issues when I'm in the mood.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:50:25 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
My favourite childhood comic was an east-german one called "Mosaik". It was about three (let's call them) kobolds Abrax, Brabax & Califax who travelled the world in different times.

No, they were called Digedags. ;) The switch from the Digedags to the Abrafaxes actually marks the time I stopped reading comics as a kid.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:49 PM »
No, they were called Digedags. ;) The switch from the Digedags to the Abrafaxes actually marks the time I stopped reading comics as a kid.

Then you're older than me. :P When I learned to read in 84/85 the Abrafaxe were already in their 9th year and I knew no one who had collected the Digedags Mosaiks.

Clarification for the others: The Mosaik as a comic was created in 1955 by Hannes Hegen. He created the Digedags: Dig, Dag & Digedag. In 1975 there were creative differences between him and the publishing house, so he left. But since he had the rights to the characters they had to create new ones, the Abrafaxe.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:23:30 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
Then you're older than me. :P
In 1975 there were creative differences...

Well, citing the year is just mean!  :tomato:
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Today I got:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:12:44 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Rogmeister

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
This is DC Comics' 75th anniversary and they have several special items coming out.  I got an audio CD of music from the various DC movies and TV shows and I have coming a documentary on the company.  I enjoy a good book of comic book history and there is one coming all about the company written by Paul Levitz who also happens to be the publisher of DC now.  It is thick...over 700 pages...but you also need a thick wallet to buy it...this sucker costs $126 U.S. money!  I want it but may not be able to afford it until after Christmas.  :stars:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
That book sounds like one I'd like, but I agree..that's expensive.

Rogmeister

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:30 AM »
Well, the list price is $200, I think.  And guess what...I ordered it!  :o

In so doing, I canceled everything from another order I just made which was a bunch of animated superhero DVDs.  I figure the book is more important to me and I have other superhero DVDs I haven't gotten to yet so I can always get those other DVDs at a later time.  This book, in case you were wondering, will be the most expensive book I've ever bought...or ever will.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
The list is $200?  Eek.

I'll have to look at it...and perhaps consider splurging and getting it later.  I've never bought a book that was that expensive either.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
Today I got:

I've already read The Death of Superman and have to admit, I found it a bit boring. Compared to Doomsday, Ivan Drago from Rocky IV had a shakespearean depth of character. It was just a mindless thing that bashed on Superman for no reason and without discernable motivation.

I hope the sequals are better.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:13:26 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Rogmeister

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
I rather liked the whole Return of Superman saga...though it did go on quite awhile.  Each of these were published in regular comic books, one title a week.  Doomsday seemed to be just what started the longer story.  Maybe it helped in that Superman was always my favorite character.

Does anyone read any magazines devoted to comics?  I have recently ordered subscriptions to two magazines I used to get regularly but which I can't find in local stores so subscriptions are the only way to get them.  I just got the first issue of one of them, Comics Buyer's Guide.  It's thinner now than it used to be...60 pages.  The other magazine I subscribed to, Alter Ego, concentrates on comics of the Silver Age (1960s) and earlier.

Rogmeister

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
By the way, in the mail today I got a DVD titled Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics which is a 90-minute "documentary" on DC Comics.  I put documentary in parenthesis since I think it's actually done by DC Comics itself (they even got Green Lantern star Ryan Reynolds to host or narrate it) so don't expect much if anything negative towards DC in this thing.  I haven't had time to look at it yet and I'm too tired to tonight...but I hope to check it out this weekend.