Author Topic: Who likes Comics?  (Read 14286 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Who likes Comics?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »
I'm getting interested in reading about comics again.  Here in the U.S., there have been several different magazines about comics...a few have folded but some are still going on.  There are two I have kept every issue...I'm going to start going through those again (many I have never gotten through once).  One magazine is Comic Book Marketplace and it seems to center on comics from the Silver Age (1960s) and earlier.  I started getting it in its relaunch (#22) and kept getting it until it folded though I think I missed one or two issues.  Another I have kept is Alter Ego, which is edited by Roy Thomas who is also a comics writer.  I have every issue up to #62...this publication is still going and is now nearing #100.  Each issue is $5 or $6 or so...so catching up and getting all the issues I've missed will be a bit pricey.  So it's getting them all or buying more DVDs...  :-\  As with the other magazine, this concentrates on comics from the Silver Age and earlier and it includes lots of interviews with and profiles of great artists from my era and before.  One other magazine I've read and which is still going is Comics Buyer's Guide.  I like it because it has a mixture of articles and colums of comics of the present and comics of the past.  Today I ordered a new subscription so I'll have that coming in again.  Much of each magazine includes a comic book price guide...I don't care for that since I'm not really buying new comics anymore but I can live with it. 

Interestingly enough, I recently came across a box of magazines I had gotten off eBay.  It includes issues of Comics Buyer's Guide and Amazing Heroes (okay, 1 issue each) as well as Comics Scene, The Comics Journal, Wizard and a few others.  I wound up getting multiple issues (many multiples) of some issues.  But once I throw out all the extras, I'll still have several different issues.  These will provide some interesting reading while I wait for new stuff to come in.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
Each issue is $5 or $6 or so...so catching up and getting all the issues I've missed will be a bit pricey.
I am finding myself in that dilemma sometimes as well. It feels weird to spend the required "large amount" to catch up on a series like that, yet it's the same money as if you had bouhgt them regularly :stars: :slaphead:

In another thread we talked about the The Walking Dead comics and how I would like to read them. Looking at the cost of buying all 70+ issues is making my head spin, yet had I bought them all along it would be the same money. :shrugs: I am thinking now of buying them in steps; and how nice, they sell packages of six issues at a slightly lowered price...

Rogmeister

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »
I recently ordered and have coming 2 of the Showcase Presents volumes from DC Comics.  These are books that reprint comics in black & white and are usually just over 500 pages (though there were a few thinner than that of series that didn't last long enough to fill a 500-page volume).  The two I ordered are the 4th volume of Superman (reprinting stories from Superman and Action Comics) and the first volume of DC Comics Presents (the comic that featured Superman teaming up with different super-heroes).    I was originally coming to order up to 5 volumes but decided not to go crazy.  After all, I do want to save some money for those issues of Alter Ego I mentioned earlier.

The series I  mentioned that are less than 500 pages include Dial H For Hero (about 288 pages for that one) and Bat Lash, a western drawn by Nick Cardy which takes up just a 240-page book.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
I will try to get a hold of Action Comics #893 over her because I want to know how Smallville's character Chloe Sullivan translated to the comics.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:47:20 AM »
....I have been going crazy with my comics recently... I added three more titles... what an idiot ¬_¬

Rogmeister

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
Is anybody here familiar with a fan artist named Fred Hembeck?  I first became familiar with him through his years of Dateline strips that appeared in Comics Buyer's Guide.  He also did short cartoon strips that appeared in both DC and Marvel comics.  A few years ago he had a huge Omnibus released of his material.  The thing is 900 pages long.  I just found out about it this week.  Some have said the reproduction quality isn't the best but I will probably take a chance and order it anyway.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
For the first time, I bought me an Action Comics (#893)

I wasn't aware that it contained several stories and then only a chapter of them. So I was left a bit hanging there.

But I also got:

And I've read the first volume already.

And I've ordered

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:52:52 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

snowcat

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
I hope you enjoy Scott Pilgrim Karsten, I really enjoyed it when I read it a while back

Critter

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
I'm currently reading Y: The Last Man.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
Comics I can read ever so often:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (by Frank Miller)

The Death of Superman (by Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson)

The Black Moon Chronicles Vol. 1 -14 (completed) (by François Froideval, Cyril Pontet, Olivier Ledroit)

Propeller Man Vol 1 -2 (completed) (by Matthias Schultheiss)

and of course:

Alexander Nikopol (by Enki Bilal)

in general you can't go wrong with comics by Bilal and Moebius

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »
I hope you enjoy Scott Pilgrim Karsten, I really enjoyed it when I read it a while back

I've already read the first one and then ordered the second and third. It was funny to read.

I'm kinda peculiar when it comes to comic. I don't care for the specific style as long as I like the story. For example, after reading all 42 volumes of Dragon Ball I tried 3x3 Eyes, Kenshin & Ranma ½, none of which could interest me for long.

I also didn't care for the V for Vendetta graphic novel even though I liked the movie.

I liked Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and now I've ordered Superman: Earth One (which will be my first full-length Superman comic)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:05:43 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »

I've already read the first one and then ordered the second and third. It was funny to read.

I skimmed through the first few pages of Volume 1. Unfortunately, that was after watching the movie, so I found it pretty much redundant.

I also recently catched up with the Buffy S8 comics. While it was entertaining for a while, they pretty much lost me after the Fray crossover, but I soldiered through up to #37. I can't say that anything struck me as particularly innovative, but I really lack any knowledge of comics to put this into context.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
I also recently catched up with the Buffy S8 comics. While it was entertaining for a while, they pretty much lost me after the Fray crossover, but I soldiered through up to #37. I can't say that anything struck me as particularly innovative, but I really lack any knowledge of comics to put this into context.

I, too, read the season 8 comics (the volume issues) up to volume 4 (issue #20) but it's just not the same as the show.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »

I skimmed through the first few pages of Volume 1. Unfortunately, that was after watching the movie, so I found it pretty much redundant.

Well, you shouldn't need to know about comics to appreciate a truly good one. They're just stories at the end of the day and if you enjoy the way they are told, there is likely one out there some where you would enjoy very much.

You might find Watchmen interesting. It reads better than the film plays, but after seeing the film, you should find it an easy read nevertheless.

Alan Moore also wrote The Ballad of Halo Jones for 2000ad in the 80s. It's wonderful and the collected version is great. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but something tells me it would appeal to both you and Karsten.  :shrug:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Well, you shouldn't need to know about comics to appreciate a truly good one. They're just stories at the end of the day and if you enjoy the way they are told, there is likely one out there some where you would enjoy very much.

Well, that's just the thing. I finally decided to give the Buffy S8 comics a chance, because I was intrigued by some of the spoilers I've read. So it was the story that drew me in, but I would have been just as fine with a recap; the comics hardly had any appeal to me based on their own artistic merits. Now, either there is indeed not much of an aesthetic value to them, or I'm unable to recognize it, because I know almost nothing about the medium.
Matthias