Author Topic: Movies of the '80s Marathon  (Read 26602 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of the '80s Marathon
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
And the one villain guy - I can't remember his name now - was just a Lex knock off..
He is played by Robert Vaughn from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (if you know this classic TV show). It was a great show from the sixties too bad the serie is way too costly for me :(

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 06:22:11 AM »
I've heard of that show but I don't remember ever seeing it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
Toon Time!

Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show is an American  animated television series about a team of superheroes  which ran from 1984 to 1985 on ABC. It was produced by Hanna-Barbera and is based on the Justice League and associated comic book characters published by DC Comics.

The Bride of Darkseid (Part 2)
Season 1 - Episode 2
With her free will removed, Wonder Woman leads the Super Friends into a trap after they arrive at Darkseid's palace to save her.

My Thoughts:
This, of course, finishes off the pilot's storyline. I enjoyed this second part just as much as I did the first.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »

Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street
Year: 1984
Director: Wes Craven
Rating: R
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
John Saxon
Ronee Blakley
Heather Langenkamp
Amanda Wyss
Nick Corri
Johnny Depp

Plot:
From modern horror master Wes Craven (Scream, Scream 2) comes a timeless shocker that remains the standard bearer for terror.

Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) is having grisly nightmares. Something monstrous wants to kill her. Meanwhile, her high-school friends, who are having the very same dream, are being slaughtered in their sleep by the hideous fiend of their shared nightmare. When the police ignore her explanation, she herself must confront the killer in his shadowy realm.

Featuring John Saxon (Enter The Dragon) and Johnny Depp in his first starring role and mind-bending special effects, this horror classic gave birth to one of the most infamous undead villains in cinematic history. Reportedly naming Freddy Krueger after a kid who had bullied him in school, writer-director Craven hatches a shock-fest from hell that "goes straight to the heart of terror" (Seattle Times).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
The A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise has always been one of my favorite. And this first one always been my favorite in the franchise. Matter of fact... I would even say it is one of my favorite horror movies of all time! This has a couple actors in it that I am very familiar with. Of course there is a young Johnny Depp. And then there is Heather Langenkamp... who I remember well as one of the children on the sitcom Just the Ten of Us. While still sarcastic... in this one Freddy Krueger is played a bit more straight... as they didn't add as much comedy to the character as the later ones did. Though I do like the later ones as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Jimmy... I see I have THREE reviews for this one... as usual since this is the most detailed... you can make this the only one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
Toon Time!

Dungeons and Dragons
The general premise of the show is that a group of children are pulled into the "Realm of Dungeons & Dragons" by taking a magical dark ride trip on an amusement park roller coaster. Invariably, the children try to return home, but often take detours to help people, or find that their fates are intertwined with the fate of others.

The Night of No Tomorrow
Season 1 - Episode 1
The group finds Merlin, looking for a magic spell to get home Presto casts a spell only to release a horde of dragons attacking the nearby village.

My Thoughts:
This is a cartoon I used to watch back when I was a teen. I bought the DVD set for pure nostalgic reasons alone. When I saw the set so cheap I just couldn't help myself. The show is not as good as I remember it.. but it is entertaining enough and gives enough nostalgic value that it is worth the $9.86 I paid for the set. I never realized it when I was a kid... but it is now so obvious that the actor supplying the voice for Eric is none other then Donny Most (Ralph Mouth on Happy Days).

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Year: 1985
Director: Jack Sholder
Length: 85 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Mark Patton
Kim Myers
Robert Rusler
Clu Gulager
Hope Lange
Marshall Bell

Plot:
Five years have passed since Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) was sent howling back to hell. But now, a new kid on Elm Street is being haunted every night by gruesome visions of the deadly dream stalker. And if his twisted soul takes possession of the boy's body, Freddy will return from the dead to wreak bloody murder and mayhem upon the entire town.

When A Nightmare on Elm Street made a killing, horror fans shrieked for more. Soon the diabolic Freddy was resurrected with a vengeance - along with some of the most terrifying special effects ever to splatter the screen. Look for Robert Englund minus his Freddy face in the opening sequence. He's a real scream!

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Interactive Games
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Even though I do still feel this is a decent movie... it is my least favorite of the Elm Street movies. I can't even place my finger on what it is that I don't care for... just something about this one that didn't sit well with me. Freddy Krueger is still played pretty straight in this one. Hmmmm... makes me wonder if they didn't add the comedy to him because of the ratings/reviews that this one got.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »
Jimmy... putting you to work again... you can just change the review for this up now to point to the above one. :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
You know when I see the comics you place in this thread I'm more than happy to haven't be a kid in the eighties. Those comics look so lame compare to what we had in the seventies... Sadly I have an eight years difference with my sister so I was forced to watch little girls cartoons like My Little Poney or The Calinours or Strawberry Shortcake :yucky:

Now we have almost one TV by person in a house, but in these time it were one TV in the house...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
 :laugh: I know what you mean... as I was the one torturing my brothers. I am the youngest of 5 boys!  :tease:

And you think some of the ones I already watched are bad... wait till you see the selection that is in the Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1980s set I pre-ordered. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Toon Time!

Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show is an American  animated television series about a team of superheroes  which ran from 1984 to 1985 on ABC. It was produced by Hanna-Barbera and is based on the Justice League and associated comic book characters published by DC Comics.

The Wrath of Brainiac
Season 1 - Episode 3
Brainiac  develops android duplicates of Superman and Wonder Woman in an attempt to seek revenge on the Superfriends.

My Thoughts:
Not bad episode. Darkseid continues his obsession with Wonder Woman. If I remember correctly this goes on for this entire incarnation of The Super Friends. At least in this one Firestorm wasn't the center of attention like he was the last 2 episodes.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »

Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Year: 1987
Director: Chuck Russell
Length: 96 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Heather Langenkamp
Craig Wasson
Patricia Arquette
Robert Englund
Ken Sagoes
Rodney Eastman

Plot:
Born the bastard son of a hundred maniacs, demented killer Freddy Krueger is back for fresh victims in this hallucinatory shocker co-written by original creator Wes Craven (Scream, Scream 2).

The last of the Elm Street kids are now at a psychiatric ward where Freddy haunts their dreams with unspeakable horrors. Their only hope is dream researcher and fellow survivor Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp of the original Nightmare), who helps them battle the supernatural psycho on his own hellish turf.

Starring Patricia Arquette (Ed Wood, True Romance) and Academy Award®-nominee Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix, Hoodlum) and directed by Chuck Russell (The Mask, Eraser), "Dream Warriors is both a horrific and hysterical trip!" (L.A. Herald-Examiner).

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Interactive Games
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another of my favorite "Nightmare" movies. I love all the things the kids learned they could do in their dreams. Plus this one has one of my favorite actresses in it... Patricia Arquette. I have been a fan of hers since the first time I saw her TV Series "Medium". This movie is the start of Freddy being more comical. Which I don't mind at all... but I do think I liked how he was in the first part better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 07:11:18 AM »
My Thoughts:
This is another of my favorite "Nightmare" movies. I love all the things the kids learned they could do in their dreams. Plus this one has one of my favorite actresses in it... Patricia Arquette. I have been a fan of hers since the first time I saw her TV Series "Medium". This movie is the start of Freddy being more comical. Which I don't mind at all... but I do think I liked how he was in the first part better.
I'd say this one is my second favorite in the franchise as well. Always liked that scene with the marionette a lot :laugh: After this they started to get way sillier, at least until Final Nightmare and New Nightmare (the latter being my third favorite).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
Toon Time!

In the fall of 1985, the final version of Hanna-Barbera's Super Friends premiered. The Super Friends (now called the Super Powers Team) were once again headquartered at the Hall of Justice (which had been redesigned for this series to appear more dome-like and seemingly, larger) in Metropolis, and battled such familiar foes as Darkseid, Lex Luthor, and Scarecrow.

Except where noted as a short, each episode was 30 minutes long. The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians lasted only one season on ABC, marking the end of Hanna-Barbera's 12-year run of the Super Friends.

The Seeds of Doom
Season 1 - Episode 1
After single-handedly capturing Superman's perennial nemesis Lex Luthor, the bionic Cyborg is invited to join the Super Powers Team—but surprisingly turns down the offer. Anxious to have someone his own age as a fellow Team member, the nuclear-powered Firestorm seeks out Cyborg to learn the reason for his reticence. But it will take the intervention of Darkseid and his Parademons, to say nothing of some horrific-looking sea pods, to make Cyborg change his mind.

My Thoughts:
This latest version of Super Friends sees the addition of Cyborg. I liked how they handled him joining the team. He wasn't thrilled with the idea like Firestorm was. He wanted to live a normal life. In his case he joins out of necessity instead of desire. I also liked how he and firestorm works together. They compliment each other very well. Also got to see some old favorites that has not been in many of the other series... like Aquaman and Hawkman. Though they were not as prominently shown as some of the others.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Jimmy... I forgot to mention that you can change A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors review links to point to just this one as well.  :thumbup:
Pete