Author Topic: The Karate Kid Marathon  (Read 6274 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Karate Kid Marathon
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:04:36 AM »
The Karate Kid Marathon
As I have said more then once here... I have had a strong urge to watch The Karate Kid movies for the past few months now. So when I got paid this month I ordered The Karate Kid Collection... which contains all 4 movies. I just tracked the package and it hit our local post office today. Meaning it will be here on Monday. Just missing this weekend's marathon. There is just no way I am going to be able to wait till next weekend to watch them... so thought I would get a thread ready for a rare "during the week" marathon. As most everyone here realizes I normally wait till the weekend to watch my movies.

Presenting THE KARATE KID COLLECTION, a rousing series of four uplifting, coming-of-age adventures that will leave you cheering! Two teenagers learn important lessons in life, friendship and the art of self-defense from their wise mentor, Mr. Miyagi. The first three films star Ralph Macchio and Oscar®-nominated Noriyuki "Pat" Morita (Best Supporting Actor, The Karate Kid, 1984), Academy Award-winner Hilary Swank (Best Actress, Boys Don't Cry, 1999) joins Morita in a break-out role in the fourth film, The Next Karate Kid. All Four movies are presented in their original movie format.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Karate Kid Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

Title: The Karate Kid: Special Edition
Year: 1984
Director: John G. Avildsen
Rating: PG
Length: 127 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Ralph Macchio as Daniel
Noriyuki "Pat" Morita as Miyagi
Elisabeth Shue as Ali
Martin Kove as Kreese
Randee Heller as Lucille

Plot:
Trained in the art of self-defense by a martial arts master (Pat Morita), in an Oscar®-nominated performance, Best Supporting Actor, 1984), a 17-year-old underdog Ralph Macchio, faces his greatest enemy in a karate tournament where more than honor is at stake. Includes brand new commentaries, documentaries and featurettes.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brittany and I watched this together today. I am sure you will see a review from her before too long. I really enjoyed watching this movie again. It was even better then I remembered it to be. And it was much funnier then I remember too... Britt and I both laughed out loud many times through-out this movie! It is a very fun and exciting movie!

Right after watching it with Brittany I turned it back on with the commentary track turned on. It is with the director, the writer Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. I tell you... if you want to listen to a discussion on the technical side of making this movie... do not look for that here. This is more like a bunch of friends getting together to watch a movie. making all kinds of jokes and even a lewd comment here and there. But that is OK... I enjoy listening to this kind every once in a while.

This is one of my favorite movie memories of the '80s! I am so thrilled I got it to watch again... and looking forward to continuing this marathon!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »
Pete, have you ever seen Entourage? Ralph Macchio had a cameo in one episode and was very funny.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:41 AM »
No I haven't... never seen a single episode.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

Title: The Karate Kid II
Year: 1986
Length: 113 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Ralph Macchio as Daniel
Pat E. Johnson as Referee
Bruce Malmuth as Announcer
Eddie Smith as Bystander

Plot:
Daniel (Ralph Macchio) accompanies Miyagi (Pat Morita) to Okinawa, where he soon finds himself entangled in a decades-old feud with his friend and mentor's lifelong enemy. Features the Oscar®-nominated hit song "Glory of Love."

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is great continuation of the franchise. I personally prefer the first one over this one... but it is close. They did kind of drop the jokes so there wasn't nearly as much to laugh at... but it is a very good story. I liked that they went to the village where Mr. Miyagi was raised. Making the main fight more real then in part one where it was a tournament for points instead of a real fight. I did miss seeing Elizabeth Shue as Ali in this one... but it is understandable since they had to open it up for a new romance in Okinawa.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »

Title: The Karate Kid: Part III
Year: 1989
Length: 112 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Ralph Macchio as Daniel
Robyn Lively as Jessica
Thomas Ian Griffith as Terry
Martin Kove as Kreese

Plot:
When Miyagi (Pat Morita) refuses to help him prepare for an upcoming tournament, an angry Daniel (Ralph Macchio) finds a new mentor, unaware that a revenge-obsessed old enemy is setting him up.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
First a little rant. When I first ordered this set I read about how Disc 3 is a double sided disc with The Karate Kid III and The Next Karate Kid... which I am fine with. But I went on to read that the 3rd disc was mis-labeled... so Part 3's label actually said The Next Karate Kid and The Next Karate Kid was labeled Karate Kid II. Well I thought this set was released back in February of '05... surely they fixed this problem since then. But to my surprise... no! The set I received still has the misprinted labels. Which kind of sucks... but is easy enough to handle. I just find it odd that they didn't get this corrected after 5 years of it being released.

I also read where a lot of people said this is where the franchise starts going downhill. And from what I have read a lot of people stopped collecting after the first two movies. While I agree it does go downhill a bit here. I still find this to be an entertaining movie. Though I do hate seeing Daniel and Mr. Miyagi on the outs. The main reason I had a problem with this is that when Daniel signed the entrance form it was because he had no choice. It seems like that would have been enough any other time. but this time he waited toll he found out that the entire thing was a set up by Kreese and his friend. I got to say... Daniel just does not have any luck with the ladies. In part one he falls for Ali which we later find out she falls for someone else and we never see her again. Then he finds... I forget her name... the girl in Okinawa and we later find out she joined a dance group in Tokyo. And now in this one we have Jessica who it is let known early in the movie that she has a boyfriend and they can only be friends. And she don't even stay to see him fight in the tournament. But over all it is still a good movie that I enjoyed watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »

Title: The Next Karate Kid
Year: 1994
Director: Christopher Cain
Length: 107 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Hilary Swank as Julie Pierce
Michael Ironside as Dugan
Constance Towers as Louisa
Chris Conrad as Eric

Plot:
When her parents are killed in a car accident, a 17-year old tomboy (Hilary Swank) is taught by Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) to channel her anger through the martial arts, a skill that will be put to the test in a showdown with the Alpha Elite, a sadistic gang of high school students.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have read other peoples opinions on this movie... and everyone seems to think this one is complete garbage. I have mixed feelings on this one. First of all... and I could be alone here... but I liked the change from Daniel to Julie. But at the same time I don't think it fit together as well as it should have. I didn't care much for the bunch kids and their teacher that she had to go up against. And I had mixed feelings about the monks. I also think it ran for a little longer then it should have... as this one was a slower paced movie then the previous three. Over all an enjoyable movie... but least favorite of the bunch.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete