Author Topic: The DCO Jeopardy Challenge  (Read 33131 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The DCO Jeopardy Challenge
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
Everyone has seen the game show Jeopardy, right? Here's your chance to show your knowledge of film trivia and history. Those who sign up to play will be pitted against each other in a turn by turn competition to see who has the most film knowledge on the DCO. The same rules apply here as they do on the television program. The first person to respond, to the question revealed, will be awarded the point value associated with the answer. If you get it wrong, you will be docked that point value from your overall score.

When the first contestant posts their response, I will either post the following...

(Contestant) is correct for ? points, select the next question

or

That is incorrect, another contestant may submit their response

Each round will also contain questions that are Daily Doubles, which are bonus questions that you can wager all or nothing of your accumulated point total. If you have 1000 points or fewer, you may wager up to 1000 points if you find a Daily Double. This goes for anyone who is in negative point total territory also. Round 1 will have 1 Daily Double and Round 2 will have 2.

As with the television game, the higher the point value, the harder it will be. When I put a strike through on a point total, it has been selected and answered already. (i.e. 100)

At the end of both rounds, anyone with a negative point total will be out of the game. Those remaining will play Final Jeopardy, where you can wager any amount up to the total of points you have accumulated during the game. You will send me your point wager through a private message, and when all Final Jeopardy contestants have done so, I will reveal the final question. You will have 48 hours to PM me your answer and I'll tally the final scores.  

All responses, except for Final Jeopardy where you'll submit by PM, are to be posted in this thread.

As soon as I have at least 3 people sign up, I'll reveal the categories for Round 1 and we'll start the game.

Jeopardy Round 1

Disney

Would'a,
Should'a,
Could'a

Oscar
Moments

The 80's

Remakes

Ghoulish
Greats

Category Descriptions:

Disney - Questions pertaining to films made by Walt Disney.

Would'a, Should'a, Could'a - Many times in Film History, some actor or actress was originally considered for a famous role in a famous picture. They either turned it down, started the film and was dropped or died during filming. Questions in this category will deal with those instances.

Oscar Moments - Weird speeches, protests, a streaker or any unique moment in Academy Award history.

The 80's - Syntho-pop music scores, teen rebellion films and very big hair made up this very strange decade in film history

Remakes - Seems pretty obvious

Ghoulish Greats - Questions will deal with Horror film icons throughout the last 80+ years.

Jeopardy Round 2

Film
Noir

Sagebrush
Cinema

IMDB

Looney
Tunes

Original
Names

Acting
Families

Category Descriptions:

Film Noir - Questions pertaining to my favorite genre of film making.

Sagebrush Cinema - Westerns

IMDB 250 - Questions in this category will be about a film that is currently in the IMDB top 250 films

Looney Tunes - Overture, curtains lights, this is it, we'll hit the heights! Let's see who knows their Termite Terrace trivia

Original Names - Guess the actor or actress from their original name

Acting Families - Questions will deal with members of a family with more than one actor in it

Final Jeopardy

Answer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:56:06 AM by Antares »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The DCO Jeopardy Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
Here's the final scoreboard...

SCOREBOARD

Jon

Rogmeister

Dragonfire

D J Doena

Kathy

Critter

Halo2

Lovemunkey187

The winner is ROGMEISTER, Congratulations
I hope everyone enjoyed this game, and I'll probably do it again in a few months. Thanks to all who played.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:48:33 AM by Antares »

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
I'll play, but I don't know how! :laugh:

Everyone has seen the game show Jeopardy, right?

Nope. We have no such thing in the UK! :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
I'll play, but I don't know how! :laugh:

Everyone has seen the game show Jeopardy, right?

Nope. We have no such thing in the UK! :whistle:

OK, seeing as how you don't have this show over there, I've amended the rules to remove the requirement "to respond in the form of a question".

If you've never seen the show, this will confuse you completely and will make you drop out when you start to lose points for it.

Rogmeister

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
I'm in!  I just hope there aren't too many horror categories!  :surrender:  And I love Jeopardy!  I do hope to see at least one western category, of course.  :whistle:

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
I see the values in the first round start at $100...you do know the regular Jeopardy! has increased those, right?  In the first round, their questions are $200 through $1000...what you have listed for "Round 2".  And they don't call it round 2, I don't think...that's referred to as "Double Jeopardy"...  Am I too anal about the rules?  :-\

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
I'll try...I'll probably do horribly, but I'll try.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
Am I too anal about the rules?  :-\

A bit  :tease:

I'm using the old values, so that if someone takes a commanding lead in the beginning, everyone will have a chance to catch up in the second round.

I know I said I'd start the game after three people signed up, but I want to give everyone here at least the chance to see the thread. We'll start tomorrow, OK?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »
I loved Jeopardy. It was one of the last quiz shows where you actually had to know the answer (or the question for that matter).

Nowadays you onl need a bit of luck and a one-in-four chance (Who wants to be a Millionaire) or you just have to gues the right suit case (Deal or no Deal)

@Rog: The way Antares built the board was the way the game was played here in Germany. Two rounds. First 100-500, second 200-1000 and then the final round.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:34:45 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
Okay...then I don't have to check back until then.  During the game, can I call you Alex?  :P

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »
I loved Jeopardy. It was one of the last quiz shows where you actually had to know the answer (or the question for that matter).

Nowadays you onl need a bit of luck and a one-in-four chance (Who wants to be a Millionaire) or you just have to gues the right suit case (Deal or no Deal)

So does that mean you want to play?

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »
I hope some people aren't confused by the three people statement I mentioned in the first post. More than three people can sign up to play, I only wanted at least three to start the game.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »
yeah i want
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »
I'm in too. Who knows, I might even get a couple right! :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
Categories are up. Descriptions of the categories are below the First Round game board.

To start the game I selected a player at random.

That player was Kathy, she'll pick the first topic and point amount.

Good Luck to all!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:53:18 PM by Antares »