Author Topic: Outnumbered: Series One  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Outnumbered: Series One
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Outnumbered: Series One
Year: 2007
Director: Episodes 1, 3 & 5, Andy Hamilton, Guy Jenkin, Episodes 2 & 4, Guy Jenkin, Andy Hamilton, Episode 6, Guy Jenkin, Andy Hamilton
Rating: 12
Length: 173 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Claire Skinner
Hugh Dennis
Tyger Drew-Honey
Daniel Roche
Ramona Marquez

Plot:
Outnumbered follows the daily chaos of family life with two parents and three young children locked in an unequal contest.

Containing strong elements of improvisation, this comedy is an honest portrayal of the well meaning parental incompetence that happens in most homes, as Mum and Dad attempt to raise their kids with the minimum of emotional damage for all concerned.

From the creators of Drop The Dead Donkey, Andy Hamilton & Guy Jenkin, Outnumbered is quite unlike any other family comedy seen before.

EPISODES
1. The School Run
2. Thte Special Bowl
3. The City Farm
4. The Quiet Night In
5. The Mystery Illness
6. The Dinner Party

Extras:
Scene Access
Interviews

My Thoughts:
This show was, more or less, recommended to me on this forum. I am so glad I picked it up.

For once I am happy to see parents who are somewhat similar to me, at the least from my generation. Then there's of course the kids who are very believable; in big part thanks to the "part-improcised" technique this show applies (the kids are told how to react, not necessarily what to say).

The writing is great. The jokes come partly naturally (see above) and otherwise are borne out of dialog which is very realistic (if you yourself were in such situation it wouldn't be funny at all!) and is delivered in a way I personally highly enjoy (probably the dry British style helps here a lot). But where the show shines is in it's timing. In letting you roar out in laughter one moment and then, since two many jokes will be overkill, in the next moment will deliver some drama. There is several main story lines going through the six episodes which are all fun to watch; some of them touch on serious issues (racism, bullying at school; but don't expect them to go very deep here...).

The acting is very adequate for the show. The kids truly shine here, especially since they are basically let loose, rather than following a strict script. While the middle kid is not always that good (maybe due to his role as Ben) the older one (as Jake) and the youngest (as Karen) are almost always a pleasure to watch. the kids are portrayed as somewhat annoying at some points, but: a) that's what kids are and b) never so much over the top that you start disliking them (then there is a)...)

P.S.: If there is more similar stuff you guys can recommend, I'll be happy to hear it!

snowcat

Re: Outnumbered: Series One
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
Im glad you liked it Achim! Series 3 is being made now, and im sure they said at the comedy awards they would be a season 4.

:p I can't think of anything else like it, but I think its great!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
Im glad you liked it Achim! Series 3 is being made now, and im sure they said at the comedy awards they would be a season 4.
Great news! :thumbup: (Assuming I will like season 2 just as much...)

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
Well, I love season 2!

There are two episodes, im not sure if they are on DVD yet :S

There is a comic relief episode, and Christmas episode they were both specials though

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:53 PM »
Great news! :thumbup: (Assuming I will like season 2 just as much...)

What about Gavin and Stacey?  :hmmmm: Whereas Outnumbered is getting solid support, Gavin and Stacey has developed a cult following, and it is great. Well recommended, Achim.

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
I never really liked Gavin and Stacey  :bag: just couldn't get into it... it was nothing to do with the welsh accents (which I what people always ask me)

...A comedy I feel is always worth a mention though is Phoenix Nights, I loved it when it was on, Ive watched it so many times now :)

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
Phoenix Nights is awesome! Gavin and Stacey is merely excellent...  ;)

Here's a G&S clip. I think Nessa is marvellous. There's a running joke that she is incredibly laid back, but keeps alluding to past relationships that could be very famous people. In the Comic Relief special Tom Jones was a guest star as an ex-lover! The show as a whole works on a fairly straight forward relationship between the two title characters, but are surrounded by quirky family and friends. Still very real people, but as you'll see here, with flaws... ;D

And you must have heard of Peter Kay? One of our best stand up comedians. Phoenix Nights was a two series run a few years ago and it's a gem, about the typical Northern clubs we used to have so many of.

This is one of my favourite scenes...

And to see Peter Kay in his normal guise...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »
Thanks for the mentions, guys.

That clip of gavin and Stacy looked quite funny...