Author Topic: Firefly Marathon  (Read 22829 times)

lyonsden5

Re: Firefly Marathon
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
:2cents:

we did an experiment at college last year, we asked 50 people about there evening viewing.

we found that most of those people said they watched something on a weekly basis, around 20% watched atleast one program casually, but 80% preferred to watch programs that last 30minutes in length... we also found that most people watch television for 3 hours in the evening, and watch around 4-5 programs in those 3 hours...

I think I personally would loose interest in a 2 hour pilot, heck, I loose interest in some hour long episodes, let alone films that last 2 hours... I have to break them up.  :shrug: I duno.

I'm curious, were the 50 people all college age (late teens, early twenties)? When I was under that age I too had "other" things to do. I can just imagine how it is now with the internet, video games, hundreds of channels, DVDs, etc.

If my hunch is true and they were all (or at least mostly) 18-22 ish that would certainly explain the findings. I still say there are many in the key demographics for advertising that are willing to sit for 2 hours to watch a show. In fact tonight's American Idol is a two hour episode. It will probably be be on top of the ratings for the week for Fox.

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:05 AM »
Lets be honest, the pilot of Firefly, should have been treated as a movie, 2 hours is film length, not tv show length.... Would it have such a cult following had it ended so quickly?

...and again, lets be honest.... what if another season had come out and been crap? then everyone would be all "it sucks"

...be thankful that you got a solid run of a the show, and no rubbish filler etc.

Like any show, you mean? I regard Buffy season 2 as the finest TV series I've ever seen. The quality tailed off in later seasons and it definitely had some filler, but still with a great arc to play out. It never took the shine of the best moments though.

Firefly would have continued and built up a similar response, I'm sure. Whedon is my favourite sort of writer in that he obviously works to a plan. I would think he knew where he was taking Firefly and there's no reason to think he'd have failed.

Dollhouse I haven't seen, but is an example of a show that didn't capture that audience, so he's far from perfect. He had the formula right for this.

snowcat

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
I don't want to pick on you, Emma, but that makes me sad. If your survey is correct, it means we're moving to purely commercial TV faster than I thought. Our TV as I have discussed many times before is invested in long dramas, such as crime thrillers or the Sharpe series, which are two hours per episode.

The problem with that sort of thinking is it doesn't treat the audience as intelligent. A lot of American shows when screened here start with a double-bill to get going, so I can't condone Fox's decision in anyway whatsoever. To expand on Rick's comments, each episode of course features the lovely low key theme. Every time I hear it, it sounds so poignant.

..I agree, it is a sad thing... British TV is very much long dramas etc, but alot of the tv series people go out of there way to watch now are US shows... or comedies... I mean, even things like the Peep Show are on for little over 25minutes.

...Like you said, American shows are shown in double bills, but they are generally the comedies which are around 20 minutes in length, ... and often don't directly carry on from each other... its mindless.

...After a hard day at work etc, you come home to escape, mindless tv is what the majority chooses, no thought is involved, its perfect. I know that after ive been working all day I come home and turn the TV on... if the choice is the X-files and watching an episode of friends for the 5 millionth time friends wins every time... I don't want to think I want to laugh.

So lets be honest, from what I have seen of Serenity, Firefly is pretty deep stuff... something Ive seen from comments on here and stuff friends have said...

Now, im not American but this is what I understand about Fox TV, Fox's main programs are reality esque? American Idol, Joe Millionaire? etc.. there main exports are House, 24, Bones and The OC?

marketing was obviously a problem with Firefly... I hadn't heard about until a friend mentioned it two years ago....

the problems it faced were probably it being shown out of order but also a few other things...

My friend told me about this cool show that was an "action-comedy" ... I feel this kind of series is more of a character case study..

Im sure because of its low viewings, which were probably fox's fault for showing it out of order (maybe they should have split the two hour pilot into two episodes?) Im sure it also got moved all over the tv guide to different times... annoying people and making them miss vital points...

Im sure Firefly has a fixed storyline, its not like the X-Files or Scrubs of Friends... with a basic idea you can watch absolutely any episode.

anyway... what im trying to say is, maybe it was for the best, as Venomsinner said... it had one solid series and thats a good thing. and maybe Fox could have tried harder... but maybe they didn't want to, they saw Whedon's name and went "YEAH!" then changed there mind.

...im sure ill edit this tomorrow, as im sure it makes no sense :p im very tired right now.

...Also, Rick, nope... we made sure to ask a wide array of people... we asked 50 (5 groups of 10 people)

the groups were

under 18
18-25
26-35
36-40
40+

Edit: uhh... ¬_¬ 26-35 lol ... not 2 - 35
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:45:35 AM by Emma (snowcat) »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:40 AM »
#EpisodeRating
01Serenity
02The Train Job

This just boggles my mind. But it is a good example for why Fox may have done what they did. And I remember reading some good and intelligent arguments why The Train Job actually works better as a pilot. I still think they are nuts, though.  :P
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »
Anyway, anyone else wishes to jump in on this, go for it.  :thumbup:

Bad timing as I'm currently watching TSCC S2.
Same here :shrug:

I have the Blu-ray version and have to add the picture and sound are fantastic  :thumbup:
Would you say it's worthy the upgrade...?

From what I read Serenity is clearly upgrade material, so I am wondering if I should just get for the whole thing. Although, I believe Firefly is still priced to high (I know you got it on sale).

lyonsden5

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »
To me it was worth the upgrade, but I'm a browncoat from way back  :whistle: This was a title that I wanted to make sure I was watching (and listening to) the best version available.

The soundtrack was clearly better in the HD version. DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 I believe. Good stuff.

The picture has its moments of brilliance and some moments where it just 'meh'. Overall I feel it is an improvment. I have not watched the standard def version upconverted to 1080p though...

For the $50-60 bucks it is selling for now I don't know if I'd recommend it. I'd certainly watch for a sale though.

lyonsden5

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
...Also, Rick, nope... we made sure to ask a wide array of people... we asked 50 (5 groups of 10 people)

the groups were

under 18
18-25
26-35
36-40
40+

Edit: uhh... ¬_¬ 26-35 lol ... not 2 - 35
Thanks for clarifying.

For the record I agree with you that I would rather watch Friends than an episode of the X-files if I'm looking for some background noise while I cook, eat or whatever. Personally give me an episode of Chuck, Bones, Castle, etc over either of the two used in your example. Something with a bit of everything.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
I started watching Firefly again last night...and my anger at FOX for canceling it is back in full force for the time being. 

I watched the show when it was on originally.  Though I did miss a few episodes thanks to FOX bouncing it all around the schedule.  I do remember them airing the pilot last and I'm thinking it was aired as 2 one hour episodes. 

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
In case you don't watch Castle:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

lyonsden5

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »
:laugh: One of the reasons I watch Castle! I love a show that doesn't take itself too seriously.

"Didn't you wear that like five years ago?"  :hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
I love Castle..and that episode was wonderful. :)

Najemikon

Firefly: Episode 2 - The Train Job
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
Firefly: Episode 2 - The Train Job
4 out of 5

Mal has second thoughts after discovering that two boxes af Alliance goods - his crew has been hired to steal - are full of badly needed medical supplies heading for the mining town of Paradiso.

The first "regular" episode. Fairly laid back and indulging in a staple of Western lore, the train robbery. A nice plot allows for great fun while they get the loot in a fantastic scene, and a little bit of pathos while Mal doesn't hesitate in giving it back. As Matthias said before, this was broadcast first and there is an argument that it works very well as a pilot, but still. Big mistake.

The grace notes are delivered quite brilliantly. We start off with a solid scrap and I loved Jayne getting doped up and how they leave him on the stairs! And as with the pilot, or episode 2, there's a nice bit of casual brutality from Mal right near the end. Just the job. Meanwhile, the relationships between several other characters are starting to develop a routine and in a concession to typical TV pacing, River is starting to tease about just what happened to her...

"Two by two, hands of blue..." :devil:

Gregg Henry is well cast as the weary Sheriff of Paradiso. He would work with Fillion again in Slither and I belive he pops up in Whedon's Dollhouse too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:24:24 PM by Jon »

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
:laugh: One of the reasons I watch Castle! I love a show that doesn't take itself too seriously.

:training:

Ok, so now I have to get this show too? Good grief. ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
#EpisodeRating
01Serenity
02The Train Job

This just boggles my mind. But it is a good example for why Fox may have done what they did. And I remember reading some good and intelligent arguments why The Train Job actually works better as a pilot. I still think they are nuts, though.  :P

The pilot "Serenity" had the tough job to introduce nine characters in about 80 minutes. It did a good job doing this. But in the "The Train Job" they just took the characters and had fun. I can understand Fox wanting to have this one as the first episode, though I am glad that I was able to enjoy the series in the proper order now.
And maybe it was because of Fox airing "The Train Job" first that I didn't give the series a proper chance the first time around. "Serenity" did a great job warming me up to the Western setting.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »

:training:

Ok, so now I have to get this show too? Good grief. ;)

Yup...you have to get Castle too. :)