Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 271865 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #450 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
Yeah, I had that too, but the UE was a noticeable improvement. Not least because my original Terminator was the only title I had that suffered from "DVD rot" and wouldn't play!

I had a look around and somehow it would appear that the UE release passed me by :(
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
     Snow White & The Huntsman: Collector's Boxset (2012/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Rupert Sanders
Writing:Evan Daugherty (Screenwriter), John Lee Hancock (Screenwriter), Hossein Amini (Screenwriter), Evan Daugherty (Story By)
Length:131 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, Japanese: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, Japanese, Spanish

Stars:
Kristen Stewart as Snow White
Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman
Charlize Theron as Ravenna
Sam Claflin as William
Sam Spruell as Finn

Plot:
THE FAIRYTALE IS OVER...
In this epic adventure, Kirsten Stewart (Twilight) plays the only person in the land fairer than the Evil Queen (Oscar Winner Charlize Theron) who is out to destroy her. But the one girl threatening the wicked ruler's reignhas been training in the art of war with the very huntsman (Chris Hemsowrth - Thor) dispatched to kill her. Evil now fights destiny.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A darker version of the classic fairy tale. I enjoyed this film and feel that maybe I need to look up the original stories behind the tale as the one I know is the Disneyfied version. I do have last years Mirror Mirror to view and will now schedule that to possibly be the next film I watch.

Rating:  A solid 3
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
I wouldn't rush to watch "Mirror, Mirror" .. oh my i am still trying to cleanse the pallet  :thumbdown:
Thank you
David

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
I wouldn't rush to watch "Mirror, Mirror" .. oh my i am still trying to cleanse the pallet  :thumbdown:

OK thanks.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
     English Vinglish (2012/India)

Eros International (United Kingdom)
Director:Gauri Shinde
Writing:Gauri Shinde (Writer)
Length:134 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:Hindi: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, English

Stars:
Sridevi
Adil Hussain
Mehdi Nebbou
Priya Anand
Sulabha Deshpande

Plot:
Money, fame and the ability to speak English. In India, these 3 factors play a huge role in how society judges an individual.

English Vinglish is the story of a woman who does not know English and is made to feel insecure by her family and society at large. The film is a light-hearted yet touching and transformational journey of Shashi. Circumstances make her determined to overcome this insecurity, master the language, teach the world a lesson on the way to becoming a self assured and confident woman. The film is shot mostly in New York and captures the inherent struggle of many people all over the world with the English language. Hilarious, touching, sensitive, this film marks the come back of India's biggest female star - Sridevi.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gauri's first short film - Oh Man!

My Thoughts:

This was a lovely gentle yet powerful drama. Shashi, a housewife played by Sridevi, is at times ridiculed by her husband and daughter because of her poor English skills. Shashi's widowed sister lives in New York and invites the family over to attend her daughter's wedding. Shashi though has to go earlier to assist in the preparations and her lack of English makes the awkwardness of being in a foreign country worse. Shashi joins a Teach You English in 4 weeks course on a whim whereupon she makes some new friends and skills. There is an interesting cameo by Amitabh Bachchan on the flight to New York.

Rating:  A gentle yet powerful 4
Dave

My Library