Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 271824 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #435 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:21 PM »
     Hugo: 3D (2011/United States)

Entertainment in Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Martin Scorsese
Writing:John Logan (Screenwriter), Brian Selznick (Original Material By)
Length:126 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Ben Kingsley as Georges Méliès
Sacha Baron Cohen as Station Inspector
Asa Butterfield as Hugo Cabret
Chloë Grace Moretz as Isabelle
Ray Winstone as Uncle Claude

Plot:
Welcome to a magical world of spectacular adventure! When wily and resouceful Hugo discovers a secret left by his father, he unlocks a mystery and embarks on a quest that will transform those around him and lead to a safe and loving place he can call home. Academy Award®-winning* filmmaker Martin Scorsese invites you to experience a thrilling journey that critics are calling "the stuff that dreams are made of"
(Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE).

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this film and thought that the transfer from the written page worked very well. The only problem I had was with the Station Inspector played by Sacha Baron Cohen. Mr Cohen played this man like a bumbling fool speaking in franglais as per the RAF pilot employed as a gendarme in the BBC TV series 'allo 'allo. All the other characters spoke normally why did the inspector have to idiotised.

Rating: would have been a but for that mentioned above.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #436 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
Interesting. I liked his character and welcomed that change, but I can't stomach the girl in this version. Chloe Moretz was wrong for the role and they changed her character anyway, in small but vital ways. Unforgivable.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 03, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
     Ra.One (2011/India)

Eros International (United Kingdom)
Director:Anubhav Sinha
Writing:Kanika Dhillon (Screenwriter), David Benullo (Screenwriter), Mushtaq Sheikh (Screenwriter), Anubhav Sinha (Screenwriter), Niranjan Jyengar (Screenwriter), Anubhav Shinha (Story By)
Length:156 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:Hindi: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Other: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Other: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, English

Stars:
Shah Rukh Khan
Kareena Kapoor
Arjun Rampal
Armaan Verma
Shahana Goswami

Plot:
A father trying hard to 'fit-in' in his son's badass world a son trying hard to 'dude-up' his dad from 'aiiiyyo' yo 'yo!' and a mother lost in translation between her husband's 'ingeva' and her son's 'in' it!' while Shekhar was trying every trick in the book to woo his son, get 'dude-ified' and 'up his coolness quotient' his son had given up on him... just when the father-son duo hit a deadlock; Shekhar strikes gold when he designs one hell of a game... finally it all starts falling in place... as the family comes together... ...only to find themselves in the middle of a crash... not just a hard drive crash but a crash that would drive them to a disaster and make their lives go - kamboom!!!... all hell breaks loose when the game that was meant to be played with... starts playing them...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

A fun and enjoyable romp. Bollywood goes full-on sci-fi, loads of references to other science fiction films with plenty of thrills. One nit-picking point though
(click to show/hide)

Rating: 

I did like this take on Ben E. King's Stand By Me

Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #438 on: April 03, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
You seemed to have enjoyed the movie more than I did.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Interesting. I liked his character and welcomed that change, but I can't stomach the girl in this version. Chloe Moretz was wrong for the role and they changed her character anyway, in small but vital ways. Unforgivable.

I couldn't remember much of how the characters developed in the book so didn't really pick up on the changes to Isabelle and Hugo but after reading your review I can see where you came from. But the portrayal of the Station Inspector as the 'allo 'allo gendarme was too much for me. I realise that Mr Scorsese must have been happy with it but it grated on me.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
You seemed to have enjoyed the movie more than I did.

:hmmmm: yep seems that way. I found it fun and enjoyable, but then again it has been shown here, when you compare some reviews, that action and science-fiction films I tend to really enjoy more than other people. I went to see Wrath of the Titans today and enjoyed that.
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #441 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »

I couldn't remember much of how the characters developed in the book so didn't really pick up on the changes to Isabelle and Hugo but after reading your review I can see where you came from. But the portrayal of the Station Inspector as the 'allo 'allo gendarme was too much for me. I realise that Mr Scorsese must have been happy with it but it grated on me.

I can certainly understand why. The guy is Marmite at the bet of times. I expected to dislike him, but I saw something genuine in his character.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 08, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
     Repo Man: The Masters of Cinema Series (1984/United States)

Eureka Entertainment, Eureka Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Alex Cox
Writing:Alex Cox (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Music Only: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Harry Dean Stanton as Bud
Emilio Estevez as Otto
Tracey Walter as Miller
Olivia Barash as Leila
Sy Richardson as Lite

Plot:
Arguably the defining cult film of the Reagan era, the feature debut of Alex Cox (Sid & Nancy, Walker, Straight to Hell) is a genre-busting mash-up of atomic-age science fiction, post-punk anarchism, and conspiracy paranoia, all shot through with heavy doses of deadpan humour and offbeat philosophy. With an iconic soundtrack (Iggy Pop, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies), stunning Robby Müller cinematography, and iconoclastic direction, Repo Man remains one of the great debuts of the 1980s. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present a definitive Steelbook edition of the director-approved Blu-ray.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • TV version, 44-page booklet

My Thoughts:

A strange film with a chequered history. Overall I enjoyed it and I think that this was the first time I saw the film that Alex Cox made as opposed to the alternate TV version that usually gets broadcast.

Rating:
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
     Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011/India)

Eros International (United Kingdom)
Director:Zoya Akhtar
Writing:Reema Kagti (Screenwriter), Zoya Akhtar (Screenwriter)
Length:154 min.
Audio:Hindi: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Hrithik Roshan as Arjun Saluja
Abhay Deol as Kabir Dewan
Farhan Akhtar as Imraan Qureshi
Katrina Kaif as Laila
Kalki Koechlin as Natasha Aurora

Plot:
Kabir has just met Natasha. 6 months later they are engaged. He wants to go on an extended bachelor party. A 3 week road trip with Imraan and Arjun- his 2 best friends since school. The only problem is Imraan and Arjun don’t speak to each other anymore. After much emotional blackmail and cajoling the boys set off on a journey they were meant to take 4 years ago. A fantasy holiday they had planned to take after college but never happened. A road trip where each one gets to do the ultimate sport of his choice and the other 2 just have to do it with him. Whether they want to or not! Kabir, Imraan and Arjun meet up in Barcelona and set off on an adventure that will not only make them face their fear but will alter their perception, unravel their fabric, force them to break out of the box and teach them to sieze the day. In other words a holiday that will change their lives forever.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

A fun road-trip film. Three slightly disparate friends from school days had drifted apart but come together to celebrate a forthcoming marriage and to create an adventure they had promised themselves. Although there were songs and poems in this film there were no full blown song and dance numbers. A nit-picking point is a scene set in London where you see a Routemaster bus in the background, Routemasters were taken out of service in 2005. Although I can understand them using this as they were an icon that represented London.

Rating:
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
     Underworld: Awakening (2012/United States)

(United Kingdom)
Director:Måns Mårlind, Björn Stein
Writing:Len Wiseman (Screenwriter), John Hlavin (Screenwriter), J. Michael Straczynski (Screenwriter), Allison Burnett (Screenwriter), Len Wiseman (Story By), John Hlavin (Story By), Kevin Grevioux (Original Characters By), Len Wiseman (Original Characters By), Danny McBride (1976) (Original Characters By)
Length:89 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1

Stars:
Kate Beckinsale as Selene
Stephen Rea as Dr. Jacob Lane
Michael Ealy as Detective Sebastian
Theo James as David
India Eisley as Eve

Plot:
KATE BECKINSALE returns as the ultimate vampire warrioress Selene in Underworld: Awakening, the stunning new installment of the epic saga for the first time in 3D.

Having escaped years of imprisonment, she finds herself in a changed world where humans have discovered the existence of both Vampire and Lycan clans and are conducting an all-out war to eradicate both immortal species. Now Selene must battle the humans and a frightening new breed of super Lycans to ensure the death dealers' survival.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

An enjoyable film. The series is moving forward and this film sets up ready for the next installment.

Rating:
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
     Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012/United States)

Entertainment One (United Kingdom)
Director:Mark Neveldine [Neveldine/Taylor], Brian Taylor [Neveldine/Taylor]
Writing:Scott M. Gimple (Screenwriter), Seth Hoffman (Screenwriter), David S. Goyer (Screenwriter), David S. Goyer (Story By)
Length:96 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Nicolas Cage as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider
Violante Placido as Nadya
Ciarán Hinds as Roarke
Idris Elba as Moreau
Johnny Whitworth as Ray Carrigan

Plot:
NICOLAS CAGE (Drive Angry, Season Of The Witch) stars as legendary action hero Johnny Blaze in one of the year's most thrilling, adrenaline-pumped films.

Struggling to live with his flame-headed alter ego The Ghost Rider, Blaze is offered the chance to rid himself of his curse forever - but to do so he must defeat The Devil in a terrifying battle for survival. Co-starring Idris Elba (Thor) and Ciaran Hinds (The Woman In Black) and featuring ground-breaking special effects, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is one hell of a ride.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

A fairly entertaining film. I watched this in 2D as I don't have a 3D TV. Nicolas Cage reprises his dual role of Johnny Blaze / The Ghost Rider and for the most his anguished tortured faces and groans work. A bit more background is given to The Ghost Rider itself
(click to show/hide)
however I don't know if that is canon for the comic stories or whether it was just for this film. One biggish change between this film and the first is that the bike is no longer a chopper, although still special in The Ghost Rider's hands it is now a super-duper motorbike.

Rating: I quite enjoyed this for a 3
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
     The Terminator (1984/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:James Cameron (1954)
Writing:James Cameron (1954) (Writer), Gale Anne Hurd (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Thai: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, English, Finnish, French, Icelandic, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Other

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Terminator
Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese
Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor
Paul Winfield as Traxler
Lance Henriksen as Vukovich

Plot:
Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as the most fierce and relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind!

An indestructible cyborg — a Terminator (Schwarzenegger) — is sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become humanity's only hope in a future war against machines. This legendary sci-fi thriller from pioneering writer/director James Cameron, and co-written by Gale Anne Hurd, fires an arsenal of action and heart-stopping suspense that never lets up!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

A film I have enjoyed and liked on various formats. This latest release has very good picture quality and sound but is obviously a make-do until the 30th Anniverary Special Edition comes out in 2014. Why do I say that you may ask and the reason is that the film starts and plays continuously from disc insertion. There is no menu option available except the pop-up menu and even when you look at the special features and deleted scenes it will go straight back into the film after each one

Rating: A solid 4 for the film but down a point for the presentation so 3
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:24 PM »
Have you seen the Ultimate Edition DVD transfer, Dave? I found it to be excellent. I have several of those releases and they seem to be good enough to not need Blu-Ray upgrade consideration.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 19, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »
Have you seen the Ultimate Edition DVD transfer, Dave? I found it to be excellent. I have several of those releases and they seem to be good enough to not need Blu-Ray upgrade consideration.

This is the DVD version I have

The Terminator

Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #449 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
Yeah, I had that too, but the UE was a noticeable improvement. Not least because my original Terminator was the only title I had that suffered from "DVD rot" and wouldn't play!