Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 271848 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #375 on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
The original DVD release had no chapter stops [...]
You probably know this, but I wanted to say that this is done on David Lynch's request, meaning if there are chapter stops is it's actually against his wishes. he wants the audience to experience his films without interruptions and therefore removes the ability to easily access center parts of the films. However. of my David Lynch DVDs only Eraserhead is done this way, since he distributes that himself; the studios apparently have the viewer in mind more than the artist...

Yes Achim, thanks  :thumbup:, I was aware that that what he wanted. Of the David Lynch titles I own I think that Inland Empire is the only other title that has no chapter stops.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 26, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »
The Incredibles

Year: 2004
Director: Brad Bird
Cast: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Jason Lee
Overview: From the creative minds behind the Toy Story films and Ratatouille comes this hilarious, action-packed animated adventure about a seemingly ordinary family with an incredible secret. Experience it like never before in Blu-ray™ High Definition!

Known to the world as superheroes Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl, Bob Parr and his wife Helen used to be among the world's greatest crime fighters, saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. Fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they live "normal" lives with their three kids, Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack. Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

Exploding with fun this high definition spectacular adventure is edge-of-your-seat entertainment for everyone.

Watched: 25th. Jun 2011
My Thoughts: An immensely fun superhero film, a film that is a very enjoyable watch. I love the little nuances and this time it was a musical section that I caught this time - when Mr. Incredible is at Syndrome's computer terminal the music is very John Barry in a James Bondish style.

My Rating: A fun 4

Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 24, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
Season of the Witch

Year: 2011
Director: Dominic Sena
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Ron Perlman
Overview: A heroic crusader (Nicolas Cage – Knowing, Drive Angry) and his close ally (Ron Perlman – Hellboy, Sons of Anarchy) return home after decades of fierce fighting to find their world destroyed by the Plague.

Believing a witch to be responsible for the devastation, they are commanded by the church Cardinal (Christopher Lee – Lord of the Rings) to transport the girl to a remote monastery where monks will perform an ancient ritual to rid the land of her curse.

But they soon discover the girl's dark secret and find themselves battling a powerful and destructive force that will determine the fate of the world forever.

Watched: 1st Jul. 2011
My Thoughts: It was OK.

My Rating: Just a 2

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 24, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
Drive Angry

Director: Patrick Lussier
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Amber Heard
Overview: Get ready for one hell of a ride! Milton (Nicolas Cage) is a hardened - albeit dead - criminal who has broken out of Hell to stop a religious cult sacrificing his baby granddaughter. The police are in hot pursuit but they're the least of his worries - The Devil's none too pleased either and has sent the enigmatic emissary "The Accountant" (William Fichtner) to bring him back.

Aided by sassy waitress Piper (Amber Heard) and driving a series of smoking hot muscle-cars, Milton is Hell-bent on his mission and is breaking all the rules - but what are they gonna do, not let him back in?

Watched: 2nd Jul. 2011
My Thoughts: This was quite a bit of fun.

My Rating: A fun 3

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 24, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Tangled

Year: 2010
Director: Nathan Greno, Byron Howard
Cast: Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi
Overview: Disney presents a new twist on one of the most hilarious and hair-raising tales ever told. Your whole family will get tangled up in the fun, excitement and adventure of this magical motion picture.

When the kingdom's most wanted – and most charming – bandit Flynn Rider hides in a mysterious tower, the last thing he expects to find is Rapunzel, a spirited teen with an unlikely superpower – 70 feet of magical golden hair! Together, the unlikely duo sets off on a fantastic journey filled with surprising heroes, laughter and suspense.

Let your hair down and get ready to cheer for Tangled. Bursting with never-before-seen bonus features, it's even more enchanting on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.

Watched: 23rd Jul. 2011
My Thoughts: A very enjoyable Disney animation.

My Rating: A very enjoyable 4

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
Just realised that I've watched 3 or 4 films without updating here so I'll do some notes for them below.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure

Watched on July 30th. Quite a fun little animation. Just a 3
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 21, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
Sucker Punch

Watched on August 12th. I did enjoy this. There were some references to other films and  console games, I caught Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, I think, but missed the console links. A 3 from me
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec

Watched on August 13th.  Based on a French comic this was immense fun. A 4 for this
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Red Riding Hood

Watched on August 20th. A take on the classic tale of Red Riding Hood but done with a Twilight twist. I watched the Alternate Cut which appeared to be a minute or two longer than the Theatrical Cut. A 3 for this one
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 28, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
Hanna

Director: Joe Wright
Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett
Overview: Academy Award® nominee* Saoirse Ronan (Atonement, The Lovely Bones) stars as Hanna, in this action-packed suspense-thriller about a girl who was brought-up to be the perfect assassin.

Raised and trained by her father (Eric Bana), an ex-CIA agent, Hanna is sent out into the world on a mission.

As she travels across Europe, Hanna is pursued by agents working for a ruthless intelligence operative with secrets of her own (Academy Award® winner† Cate Blanchett). As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence.

Watched: 27th Aug 2011
My Thoughts: A spy thriller with a fairy tale edge.

My Rating: I quite enjoyed this so a 3+ +
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
Rango

Director: Gore Verbinski
Cast: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty

Overview: Get ready to tango with RANGO, a winner with critics and audiences that's "wildly imaginative and wonderfully animated" (Box Office Magazine). Johny Depp is spectacular as Rango, a kooky pet chameleon who gets tossed into a wild and raucous town in desperate need of a hero. Refreshingly original with eye-popping animation, RANGO is "a truly hilarious film" (The Sun).

Watched: 3rd. Sep 2011
My Thoughts: An excellent fun animation with an off-beat take on the western genre. All the voice acting came over well, I will admit though to only definitely recognising one without reference to the cast listing and that was Ray Winstone as Bad Bill.

My Rating: An excellent 4

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:28 PM »
Priest

Director: Scott Stewart
Cast: Paul Bettany, Maggie Q., Karl Urban
Overview: In a post-apocalyptic world, a savage war between man and vampire ranged for centuries. A warrior priest (Paul Bettany) receives word of fresh attacks, and now it's personal - his niece has been kidnapped by a new hive of merciless vampires. To save her, he must break his vow of peace and hunt down the hive before it's too late. Based on the acclaimed graphic novel and packed with bloodthirsty action, this full throttle crusade takes you on the hunt for a deadly new breed of killer.

Watched: 10th. Sept 2011
My Thoughts: A quite enjoyable vampire romp with Maggie Q. in leather. In this the vampires are not the traditional type, they are hive based with a queen.

My Rating: A quite enjoyable 3

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Star Wars

A part of

Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Year: 1977
Director: George Lucas
Cast: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher
Overview: The Jedi Knights have been exterminated and the Empire rules the galaxy with an iron fist. A small group of Rebels have dared to fight back by stealing the secret plans to the Empire's mightiest weapon, the Death Star battle station. The Emperor's most trusted servant, Darth Vader, must find the plans, and locate the hidden Rebel base. Princess Leia, a captive Rebel leader, sends out a distress signal that is intercepted by a simple farm boy, Luke Skywalker. Seizing his destiny, Luke takes up the challenge to rescue the princess and help the Rebellion overthrow the Empire, along with such unforgettable allies as the wise Obi-Wan Kenobi, the cocky Han Solo, the loyal Chewbacca, and the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Watched: 17th. Sep 2011
My Thoughts: The Blu-ray edition of the first Star Wars film from George Lucas in which he continues to tweak and 'fine tune', some changes in this and the earlier revisions work and some don't. I first saw this in release year in the West End and was blown away. In the cinema the standout moment for me was at the beginning when the rebels were gathering at the airlock door waiting for the Imperial troopers entrance, all of a sudden we hear a loud clunk from above and as well as the rebels on the screen the whole of the cinema audience looked up. Overall I enjoyed this very much again but felt that in places the picture quality was down, scenes in the desert on Tatooine in particular.

My Rating: Still a big favourite of mine so a 5

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back

A part of

Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Year: 1980
Director: Irvin Kershner
Cast: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher
Overview: It is a dark time for the Rebellion. After a devastating attack on their ice base on the frozen planet of Hoth, the Rebels are scattered by Imperial pursuit. Luke Skywalker seeks out the mysterious Jedi Master Yoda in the swamps of Dagobah, while Han Solo and Princess Leia outrun the Imperial fleet to the beautiful Cloud City of Bespin. In an attempt to convert Luke to the dark side, the evil Darth Vader lures young Skywalker into a trap. In the midst of a fierce lightsabre duel with the Sith Lord, Luke faces a terrible truth about the Skywalker legacy.

Watched: 18th. Sep 2011
My Thoughts: As with Star Wars I went to see this on release in the West End but cannot remember any standout moments apart from the shock revelation towards the end. Overall I enjoyed this very much again and felt the picture quality was much better this time than the first film.

My Rating: Still a big favourite so still a 5

Dave

My Library