Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 271834 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »
I have Mars Attacks on DVD and I don't remember many extras on it either.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
I have Mars Attacks on DVD and I don't remember many extras on it either.

Thanks Marie. I was surprised to find that I didn't have this on DVD but checking things through I do have it on NTSC Laserdisc but that probably was also vanilla.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
Wasn't Mar Attacks one of the first DVD titles?  

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

My German DVD release was reased in April of 1998 (according to the DVD Profiler profile). So at least it was one of the first German DVD releases. And it also had no extras except for a music-only audio track, production notes and the theatrical trailer.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »

My German DVD release was reased in April of 1998 (according to the DVD Profiler profile). So at least it was one of the first German DVD releases. And it also had no extras except for a music-only audio track, production notes and the theatrical trailer.

That is way more extras than this Blu-ray. There is zero extras, no trailers, notes or anything. Only 7 language tracks and 17 subtitles.

Luckily I didn't buy this for me it was a birthday gift.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
I just looked in Profiler.
The version I have was released in 1997, so it probably was one of the first DVDs.

According to Profiler, there are trailers and production notes/bios..and Martian subtitles.  So, basically no extras..least as far as I'm concerned.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Year: 2010
Director: Edgar Wright
Cast: Michael Cera, Alison Pill, Mark Webber
Overview: Meet charming and jobless Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera). A bass guitarist for garage band Sex Bob-omb, the 22-year-old has just met the girl of his dreams - literally. But, there's one catch to winning Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) ...he has to meet and defeat her seven evil exes!

From genre-smashing filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) comes the amazing story of one romantic slacker’s fight to POWER-UP with love - before it realy is GAME OVER!

Watched: 5th. Jan 2011
My Thoughts: A great fun film. Loved all the video game touchs throughout even down to 8-bit style graphics on the disc menues

My Rating: Immensely fun 4

Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Jonah Hex

Year: 2010
Director: Jimmy Hayward
Cast: Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox
Overview: Out of the pages of the legendary comics and graphic novels steps Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin), a scarred drifter and bounty hunter of last resort. Jonah's past catches up with him when the U.S. military offers to wipe out the warrants on his head if he hunts and stops dangerous terrorist Quentin Turnbull (John Malkovich).

Watched: 8th. Jan 2011
My Thoughts: OK what can I say. First of all I haven't seen the comics this was based upon and whilst I realize that hitting you with the back story from the off can be awkward the constant drip-feed here, and not necessarily in the right order, made this a little more confusing to me. Plus they never explained why a Confederate General turned to wholesale slaughter and terrorism. Some touches were nice in making this look like a Spaghetti Western but in the end the action and acting didn't save it for me.

My Rating: A confused 2

Dave

My Library

Rogmeister

« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Most of the reviews I've seen for this movie just call it outright horrible so you actually seemed to enjoy it more than them...hard as it is to believe.  I may still get it...if it ever hits the $5 bargain bin.  The DVD may...not sure about Blu-ray...I've not seen any Blu-ray bargain bins yet though I did get one title recently for $8 which is close to that price.  Do you recall who did the music for this film?  I always like to check that out.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
Most of the reviews I've seen for this movie just call it outright horrible so you actually seemed to enjoy it more than them...hard as it is to believe.  I may still get it...if it ever hits the $5 bargain bin.  The DVD may...not sure about Blu-ray...I've not seen any Blu-ray bargain bins yet though I did get one title recently for $8 which is close to that price.  Do you recall who did the music for this film?  I always like to check that out.

Yes wait for the bargain bin. Sorry even though it was only 81mins long I didn't look too closely at the end credits, I recall that Seasick Steve did a couple of songs but that is about all.

ETA: Just looked at the profile in DVDP and it says the music was by Marco Beltrami and Mastodon
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:44:15 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Rogmeister

« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Thanks for checking out the music credits.  I'm not familiar with any of those names, though.  Maybe I'll go over to Amazon and check out the prices from the Marketplace sellers.  The only problem there is I have to pay for shipping...so if I pay $6.99 for a copy, I'd have to add $2 or $3 more for shipping...making it not such a good deal.  :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
Yes wait for the bargain bin. Sorry even though it was only 81mins long I didn't look too closely at the end credits, I recall that Seasick Steve did a couple of songs but that is about all.
The composer is usually in the opening credits, if there are any. ;)

ETA: Just looked at the profile in DVDP and it says the music was by Marco Beltrami and Mastodon
Marco Beltrami has done quite a few horror soundtracks, several of the movies I own:
The Faculty
Blade II
Scream Trilogy
Hellboy
Live Free or Die hard (Die Hard 4.0)
Hurt Locker

Najemikon

« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:44 PM »
Do you recall who did the music for this film?  I always like to check that out.

I have no idea in this case, but it can be unfortunate when music gets lost in a poor film no-one pays attention to. I've always dismissed James Horner as repetitive, and while this still is, I dropped across his Willow theme the other day and it just caught me right. I thought it was wonderful and there it is trapped in the middle of a movie I have no wish to watch again. It's not terrible, but... meh.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
The composer is usually in the opening credits, if there are any. ;)
I knew that but I didn't really notice who was in the opening credits and could only just remember some of the ending credits and then I couldn't be arsed enough to change my original comment and that is why I then added:-
Marco Beltrami has done quite a few horror soundtracks, several of the movies I own:
The Faculty
Blade II
Scream Trilogy
Hellboy
Live Free or Die hard (Die Hard 4.0)
Hurt Locker
in addition I have Marco down for
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Cursed
Dracula 2001
The Eye
Flight of the Phoenix (2004)
I, Robot
In the Electric Mist
Knowing
Max Payne
Red Eye
Repo Men
Resident Evil
Roadkill
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Underworld Evolution
XXX: The Next Level

edited to fix quoting
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:23:22 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Year: 1995
Director: Aditya Chopra
Cast: Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Amrish Puri
Overview: Having been brought up in London, Raj (Shahrukh Khan) and Simran (Kajol) are second generation British Asians, who still cherish their Indian roots, culture and values. The two meet in a chance encounter while traveling through Europe on an inter-rail holiday. When they get seperated from their friends, they discover each other.... they discover LOVE! When they return to London, Simran is taken back to India, for an arranged marriage as per her fathers wishes. Now Raj must go to India to win his Dulhania and asks Simran's father for her hand in marriage and seek acceptance of their love - all this, while the preparations for Simran's wedding are in full swing.

DILWALE DULHANIA LE JAYENGE released in 1995, is the longest running film in Indian Cinema. Aditya Chopra's debut film became one of Hindi cinemas biggest blockbusters sweeping 10 Filmfare awards and the National award for popular and wholesome entertainment. Sensitively and often poignantly scripted, the film has a sweet, innocent freshness that makes not just Simran and Raj (perhaps Kajol and Shahrukh's best performances) but all the other characters so real that you love, laugh and ache along with them as if they lived next door.

Watched: 15th. Jan 2011
My Thoughts: An enjoyable film in two parts. In part one two separate people, Raj (Shahrukh Khan) and Simran (Kajol), set off on a trip around Europe, each with their own circle of friends. However the plans go awry and Raj and Simran keep getting caught up with each other throughout the trip. When they get back to London they both come to the realisation that they have deep feelings for each other but Simran is already promised to another in India. For part two the film then transports us to India where Raj now tries to win Simran's hand and approval of her father.

My Rating: An enjoyable 3
Dave

My Library