Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Mystery Marathon  (Read 24108 times)

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Mystery Marathon
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
I'm calling foul on your reveal! Mainly because it crossed my mind, but I dismissed it... :bag:

Well done for finding them, but blimey, some are thin! You're including cameos! :redcard: :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
For the most part I only had DVD profiler to go by... and they don't identify Cameos. Basically went to TV Series... clicked the names of the main stars and went from there.  :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
Well, I guess I was wrong though I never posted my own guess which would've been...

Movies Pete Hates Because They All Have Music In Them  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
 :laugh: And why would I want to torture myself that way?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »

Title: 10.5
Year: 2004
Director: John Lafia
Rating: NR
Length: 163 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Kim Delaney as Dr. Samantha Hill
Fred Ward as Roy Nolan
Ivan Sergei as Dr. Zack Nolan
John Schneider as Clark Williams
Kaley Cuoco as Amanda Williams

Plot:
Seattle, Washington: dawn. An earthquake trembles with a 7.9 magnitude. It's the biggest natural disaster to hit the West Coast in over a century. The aftershock hits Northern California, reaching 8.4, splitting the earth and swallowing a train as it cruises along the landscape. The chance of an aftershock being greater than the quake is virtually unprecedented. Dr. Samantha Hill (Kim Delaney), an expert on hidden fault lines, and the President of the United States (Beau Bridges) must race against time to save the lives of millions.

Highlighted by state-of-the-art special effects, it's Armageddon 700 kilometers below the earth's surface as the fear factor is raised to terrifying proportions. 10.5 is an epic spectacle of human drama and ultimate disaster.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is actually a TV Miniseries.. but I often watch these as movies during my weekend (or in this case slightly more then a weekend) marathons. I picked this one for a few different TV stars that I recognized. First there is John Schnider who played in the TV Shows The Dukes of Hazzard (Bo Duke) and Smallville (Johnathon Kent). Then there is Kaley Cuoco who I know from the series Charmed (Billie) and The Big Bang Theory (Penny). And then finally David Cubitt who I know from Medium (Det. Lee Scanlon).

This is one I have watched a few times since I bought it. The first time I didn't even know who Kaley Cuoco was. I know of many people that didn't care for this movie because of it not being realistic. Like for example the earthquake following the train track down till it swallowed the train it was chasing. And I do understand and agree it is not very realistic. But I always seen movies and TV Series as not having to be realistic... just entertaining. In my eyes... it is not realistic here in the real world. But it is in the fantasy world I am watching. And because of this attitude I was able to enjoy this one quite a bit.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
Normally I would come up with a smart-alleck comment, but I gotta hand it to you dad, you stumped us all! :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »
Well you know...technically I was right since you own them all. ;)  And so was Jimmy since the titles are in English.
 :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
 :laugh: Well I did say a couple times that what was guessed may be true but not what the theme of the marathon is!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »

Title: The Fog: Widescreen Unrated Version
Year: 2005
Director: Rupert Wainwright
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Tom Welling
Maggie Grace
Selma Blair
DeRay Davis
Kenneth Welsh

Plot:
From producer John Carpenter comes the all-new retelling of his terror classic, THE FOG. Tom Welling (TV's "Smallville"), Maggie Grace (TV's "Lost") and Selma Blair (Hellboy) star in this sense-shattering tale of demonic retribution, directed by Rupert Wainwright (Stigmata) with screenplay by Cooper Layne.

Trapped within an eerie mist, the residents of Antonio Bay have become the unwitting victims of a horrifying vengeance. One hundred years ago, a ship carrying lepers was purposely lured onto the rocky coastline and sunk, drowning all aboard. Now they're back, long-dead mariners who've waited a century for their revenge. Seeking out the decedents of those responsible for their deaths, they lurk enshrouded within a supernatural fog of terror. Beware, any and all who stand in their way.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I chose the remake of The Fog for this marathon because of Tom Welling who is Clark Kent on Smallville and for Lost's Maggie Grace. This is one remake that kinda disappointed me. It is nowhere near as good as the original. And it seemed so strange to see Tom Welling in a part other then Clark Kent. Speaking of Tom Welling... he just didn't pull this role off. He seemed so stiff... so wooden in the role. They really didn't pull off the characters that well... as most of them I just couldn't get myself to care about. I thought the effects of the fog rolling in at the beginning of the movie could have been done better as well. But with that said there was some good parts... some pretty cool kill scenes and such... especially towards the end of the movie. While it is not a movie I can see watching often. There will be times I can see watching it. For different themed marathons and such.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »

Title: Boogeyman: Special Edition
Year: 2005
Director: Stephen Kay
Rating: PG-13
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French

Stars:
Barry Watson as Tim
Emily Deschanel as Kate
Skye McCole Bartusiak as Franny
Tory Mussett as Jessica
Andrew Glover as Boogeyman

Plot:
Every culture has one – the horrible monster fueling young children's nightmares. But for Tim, the Boogeyman still lives in his memories as a creature that devoured his father 16 years earlier. Is the Boogeyman real? Or did Tim make him up to explain why his father abandoned his family? The answer lies hidden behind every dark corner and half-opened closet of his childhood home – a place he must return to and face the chilling unanswered question...does the Boogeyman really exist?

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one I picked because Emily Deschanel is in it... who plays Dr. Brennen on Bones. We also get to see Lucy Lawless who is Xena: The Warrior Princess... though hers wasn't that big of a role... just see her in flashback scenes here and there throughout the story. She plays the main character's mother. I did enjoy the movie. But it could have been better. It was a little on the weird side so you need to pay attention to what you are watching or you could easily get confused.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »

Title: Bay Cove
(AKA: Bay Coven, Eye of the Demon, Strangers in Town, The Devil of Bay Cove)
Year: 1987
Director: Carl Schenkel
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Tim Matheson as Jerry LeBon
Pamela Sue Martin as Linda LeBon
Barbara Billingsley as Beatrice Gower
Jeff Conaway as Josh
Woody Harrelson as Slater

Plot:
When Linda and Jerry LeBon move to the quiet and peaceful community of Bay Cove, they welcome the town's centuries old charm, virtually untouched by the conventions of modern life.

But something is different about the small village; something dark is lurking in the shadows. As Linda begins to explore, she discovers that all the townspeople are members of a deadly witch's coven - and as they await the reincarnation of their leader at the next full moon, they are searching for their next human sacrifice...

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
As with most TV Movies this has it's share of familiar faces from TV Series. In this one we have Pamela Sue Martin (The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries), Barbara Billingsley (Leave it to Beaver), Woody Harrelson (Cheers), Jeff Conway (Taxi), Nigel Bennett (Forever Knight) and James B. Sikking (Doogie Howser, M.D.). This is one of my favorite TV movies in my entire collection. I have now watched it 6 times in the last 4 years since I bought it. I found the story to be interesting. It is not as scary as I would like... but there is a few eerie scenes. Unfortunately the DVD itself leaves a lot to be desired. No extras what so ever... not even any trailers. The Audio and video quality is fine but nothing to get excited about. But I guess that is to be expected from a low budget DVD release.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:40:45 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
OK Jimmy... I am leaving it up to you again! There is 2 other reviews from me for Bay Cove... But this one is much more detailed. So you can either add it to the list, change one of the links or change a link and delete the other. Your choice!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »

Title: 13 Going on 30: Fun & Flirty Edition
Year: 2003
Director: Gary Winick
Rating: PG-13
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jennifer Garner as Jenna Rink
Mark Ruffalo as Matt Flamhaff
Judy Greer as Lucy Wyman
Andy Serkis as Richard Kneeland
Kathy Baker as Bev Rink

Plot:
Jennifer Garner (Daredevil, TV's "Alias") and Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) star in this hilarious flash-forward romance about a pre-teen girl who goes from geek to glamorous. With the help of some magic wishing dust, 13 year-old Jenna Rink (Garner) becomes 30 and gorgeous overnight, with everything she ever wanted, except for her best friend Matt (Ruffalo). Now, this grown woman must create some magic of her own to help the little girl inside find the true love she left behind.

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Watching this one today for Jennifer Garner of Alias fame and Kathy Baker who played Jill Brock (the mother) in Picket Fences. This is a fun movie. Like in the movie Big we have a character that makes a wish to be grown up. Jennifer Garner does a great job playing a teen girl trapped in a grown woman's body. some of the expressions on her face... especially in the beginning where she don't know what is going on... is completely hilarious.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE TO JIMMY: There is already a review up for this movie... but this one is more detailed so you may want to replace it with this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »

Title: The Hollow
Year: 2004
Director: Kyle Newman
Rating: R
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Kevin Zegers as Ian
Kaley Cuoco as Karen
Nick Carter as Brody
Ben Scott as The Headless Horseman
Stacey Keach as Claus Von Ripper

Plot:
Restless spirits stir this Hollow's Eve, beckoning Ian Cranston (Kevin Zegers, Dawn of the Dead), the last blood relative of Ichabod Crane, back to Sleepy Hollow. Thundering hooves unleash a wave of bone-chilling screams as the ghost of the Headless Horseman rides again! Ian must try to save the town and his girlfriend, Karen (Karley Cuoco, "8 Simple Rules") and determine wheather the sword-wielding stalker is their clownish classmate, Brody (Nick Carter, Backstreet Boys) in costume, or the dark rider himself. If it's truly the Headless Horseman...how do you kill what's already dead?

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I am watching this one for Kaley Cuoco who I know from the series Charmed (Billie) and The Big Bang Theory (Penny). I originally bought this movie (about 2 yrs. ago) because of her being in it. That and because I always like the story of Sleepy Hollow. Nick Carter played a real jerk in the movie... and he did a better then I expected job. Not a great actor... but not terrible either. I think Kaley Cuoco did a fine job as well. I have mixed feelings about the pumpkin head on the Headless Horseman... it was some pretty cool graphics for sure... but there just seemed to be something slightly off about it. The movie itself is no more then a fun... leave your brain at the door.. popcorn movie. One that I really like a lot. Probably a little more then I should. This is now the 3rd time I watched this movie since I bought it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
OK Jimmy... I am leaving it up to you again! There is 2 other reviews from me for The Hollow... But this one is much more detailed. So you can either add it to the list, change one of the links or change a link and delete the other. Your choice!  :thumbup:
Pete