Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 30243 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
The New Adventures of Tarzan
Tarzan meets Indiana Jones! A Mysterious ancient idol called The Green Goddess is being worshipped by the jungle-natives of a lost city deep in Guatemala. Not only is it covered in rubies and jewels, it contains in it an old recipe for a gunpowder-like explosive. Major Martling (Frank Baker) and Ula Vale (Ula Holt) come from Africa to search out the Green Goddess. A mercenary named P. B. Raglan (Ashton Dearholt, who was also a producer of this film) is sent by Ula's lawyer to find the statue first. The major and Ula meet up with Tarzan, who is on a mission to find his old pal, d'Arnot, whose plane crashed near the lost city. The group must nowsave d'Arnot and grab The Green Goddess before Raglan shares all it's secrets!

Chapter 6: Fatal Fangs
This chapter runs for about 15 minutes. This puts me at the half way point into the serial. And one thing I wanted to mention before now. The audio quality on this serial is in very good shape... but they made it extremely loud on the DVD. I have to lower the volume with each chapter. I normally watch everything (cable or DVD) at around 30 to 40. This serial I had to lower down to 10. Not really a big deal... though it does get tiresome when you watch a chapter in between movies as I am doing with this marathon. This chapter was pretty good. It has a bit more action. Because of the shorter time everything happened a biut quicker and it had a good cliffhanger.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »

Title: Big Top Pee-wee
Year: 1988
Director: Randal Kleiser
Rating: PG
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Paul Reubens [Pee-wee Herman]
Penelope Ann Miller
Kris Kristofferson
Valeria Golino
Wayne White

Plot:
MY CIRCUS MOVIE

In Big Top Pee-wee, I live on a country farm where I feed my barnyard animals pancake breakfasts and work on top-secret botanical experiments with my pet pig, Vance. One day a storm blows an entire circus into my yard! There's wild animals and all kinds of cool circus stuff – especially the trapeze artist, Gina. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen! She's the most beautiful girl I've ever kissed, too!! That's probably why my fiancée, Winnie, gets so angry. Let me tell you, one torrid love triangle in a lifetime is plenty for anyone! It all works out great, eventually, and I even get to be in the circus! Sawdust, glitter and excitement – I hope you like it!!

Your Pal,
Pee-wee Herman

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Let me start off by saying that I never cared much for Pee-wee Herman. I have never found him to be anything but annoying. I wouldn't have ever had this in my collection but a good friend of mine had this in a big box full of DVDs she gave me when she was cleaning out her collection.... back in October 2007. And it has been sitting in my unwatched shelf every since. Since Achim listed it in the movies he would like to see me review I figured I may as well finally get it off this shelf.

So obviously I went into this one not expecting much entertainment at all. But OMG... 10min into this one I didn't think I would be able to make it through this one. By half way through I couldn't take any more of it. Of course I am not surprised at all... because I always had this impression of Pee-wee Herman... but I found this movie to be no more then silly, childish and completely ridiculous. I do realize that is the entire point... but it is just not for me. I just could not see past all that to find any type of entertainment value. I will have to see if Brittany wants to give it a chance. If she wants it... she can have it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
ZERO
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Tarzan meets Indiana Jones! A Mysterious ancient idol called The Green Goddess is being worshipped by the jungle-natives of a lost city deep in Guatemala. Not only is it covered in rubies and jewels, it contains in it an old recipe for a gunpowder-like explosive. Major Martling (Frank Baker) and Ula Vale (Ula Holt) come from Africa to search out the Green Goddess. A mercenary named P. B. Raglan (Ashton Dearholt, who was also a producer of this film) is sent by Ula's lawyer to find the statue first. The major and Ula meet up with Tarzan, who is on a mission to find his old pal, d'Arnot, whose plane crashed near the lost city. The group must nowsave d'Arnot and grab The Green Goddess before Raglan shares all it's secrets!

Chapter 7: Flaming Waters
This chapter runs for about 18 minutes. The conclusion to the last cliffhanger is a bit contrived. For Tarzan to be barely touched by the trap he tripped just made no sense at all. The rest of the chapter went along nicely though. Story advanced pretty good. There was some more action that wasn't bad. The cliffhanger at the end of this chapter is was pretty good as well. But the important thing will be how they get out of the situation. As this serial has messed up a bit there more then once.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »

Title: Blood Reaper
Year: 2003
Director: Lory-Michael Ringuette
Rating: R
Length: 80 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Brinke Stevens
Lory-Michael Ringuette
Bobby Mackey
Cameron McHarg
Alison Moon

Plot:
Five friends come face to face with the deadliest legend when they pitch camp on the grave of one of the most gruesome serial killers. One by one, they race against evil, clawing for their lives. But the killer is determined to take revenge - and turn the river red.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is one I picked up cheap (about $3) this past October. Just now getting the chance to check it out. Of course I knew going into it that it is a low-budget horror. And this movie does have a low-budget feel to it. But it has a pretty good story. And it did entertain me through-out the movie. Definitely not what I would call a great movie... but worth the time I put into it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

Chapter 8: Angry Gods
This chapter runs for about 18 minutes. It is a good chapter. I enjoyed it. This one has some action and some story advancement. And it has a good cliffhanger ending.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »

Title: Darkman II: The Return of Durant
Year: 1994
Director: Bradford May
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Larry Drake
Arnold Vosloo
Kim Delaney
Renee O'Connor
Lawrence Dane

Plot:
The crime-fighting master of disguises returns in this action-packed sequel to the hit motion picture. Hard Target's Arnold Vosloo stars as Darkman, and Larry Drake reprises his role as the sadistic villian Robert G. Durant.

Co-starring Kim Delaney (NYPD Blue), Darkman II: The Return of Durant is filled with nonstop action, suspense, and special effects which will leave you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
I been trying to decide if I was in the mood for the next Darkman movie for a while now. But when I seen that Renee O'Connor was in this one I wanted to check it out since I renewed my interest in her since I been watching Xena again. Going into this one I couldn't remember if I have ever seen it before or not. I liked how at the beginning of this movie it sort of reminds you what happen in part 1. I was a little concerned that I would be somewhat lost since it has been years since I watched the first one. And I have to admit. I found it a bit weird to see Renee O'Connor in a role other then Gabrielle. And I am talking through-out the entire movie it was just strange seeing Gabrielle in modern clothes and wondered where Xena was when she was in trouble.  :P But I definitely enjoyed this one. It was a good continuation for the characters.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
I have never seen any of the Darkman movies. Sound like something which could be fun. I have ordered the trilogy now for ten bucks.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
hope you enjoy them as much as I have. I still need to watch the 3rd one myself.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »

Chapter 9: Doom's Brink
This chapter clocks in at about 17 minutes.This is another chapter that takes a quality hit. There was a few scratches in the film and such. And once again... I just didn't care for the conclusion to the last chapter's cliffhanger. That is one area where this serial is definitely lacking. Once again they are giving you a nice cliffhanger making you want to come back to the story... now only if they would give a good conclusion to it at the beginning of the next chapter and I will be happy. At least with this one I think they will have to since they have Tarzan chain to a wall and let a lion into the room to kill him. Hopefully they won't do something lame to get him out of it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »

Title: Hotel for Dogs: Widescreen
Year: 2009
Director: Thor Freudenthal
Rating: PG
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary:
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Emma Roberts
Jake T. Austin
Don Cheadle
Johnny Simmons
Kyla Pratt

Plot:
Comedy is unleashed in this box office hit that "will have you begging for more." (Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com) When Andi (Emma Roberts) and Bruce (Jake T. Austin) need somewhere to hide their dog, Friday, they transform an abandoned hotel into a place where no stray gets turned away. Loaded with adorable dogs, a team of clever kids and ingenious gadgets, this heartwarming adventure will leave you wondering - who let the dogs in?

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:
I told Brittany I would watch another one from her collection with her this weekend. Still sticking with a DVD I never seen before of course. In this case a movie I never seen. This is a cute movie... it had several laughs in it for me. Definitely worth checking out... especially if you already like family movies. Of course like any family movie it has the all-around happy ending. But that is to be expected in these types of movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
I know I saw Darkman years ago.  I can't remember if I saw the sequels though.

snowcat

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
Darkman is the Liam Neeson film right? I really liked it when I saw it a while back, I did not even realise there were sequels.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
Liam Neeson played Darkman in the first movie if I remember right. But in the sequels Arnold Vosloo took over the role.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »
I have a number of Tarzan films myself and I need to pull them out and start watching them.  Two of them are early serials from the 1920s.  I think Adventures of Tarzan is from 1920 and it stars Elmo Lincoln who was the movies' first Tarzan.  This isn't his first Tarzan role but it could be his last.  It is a silent film, of course.  Another I have was released in 1929...it was shot as a silent film but I think they added music and sound effects since it was released during the coming of sound.  This film is titled Tarzan the Tiger and stars Frank Merrill as Tarzan.  I must admit I'm not familiar with this actor.  I think I read somewhere that Jane appears either nude or topless somewhere in this serial...that's even more reason to watch it  :P  The first serial is 10 chapters while Tarzan the Tiger is a 15-chapter serial.  Both of these are DVD-Rs put out by small independent DVD companies (Serial Squadron and Grapevine).  Of course I also have the two box sets that collect the 12 Tarzan features that starred Johnny Weismuller.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »

Chapter 10: Secret Signals
This chapter runs for about 17 minutes. The conclusion to the last chapter wasn't bad... but it could have been better. I do like seeing Tarzan fighting the lions and such. They once again do a pretty even amount of action and story advancement. And once again a decent cliffhanger for this chapter.
Pete