Author Topic: New Moon  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
New Moon
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

The Next Chapter Begins

In the second chapter of Stephanie Meyer's best-selling Twilight series, the romance between mortal Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) grows more intense as ancient secrets threaten to destroy them.  When Edward leaves in an effort to keep Bella safe, she tests fate in increasingly reckless ways in order to glimpse her love once more.  But when she is saved from the brink by her friend Jacob Black (Taylor Loutner), Bella will uncover mysteries of the supernatural world that will put her in more peril than ever before.

My Thoughts

I have read all four of the Twilight books and I've seen the first movie.  All of them are somewhat entertaining and I mostly enjoyed them, though they are nowhere near as great some people claim.  New Moon is my least favorite of the books, but still for some reason, I decided to watch this movie.  Insanity perhaps.

The movie is an all right adaptation of the book, though it still drags on too long.  The main ideas from the book are here, though a few things - like Bella's stupidity and depression - are toned down thankfully. 

Even in the book, the plot for this one is weaker with so  much emphasis on Bella's feelings while she wallows in her despair after Edward leaves.  Despite how long the movie is, not that much actually happens.  It is basically Bella whiney, and moping between doing stupid, dumbass things.  She is very annoying, though she is much better than she was in the book.  At least her obsession with Romeo and Juliet is pretty much left out.

Victoria is tossed in again as a threat to Bella, but that really goes nowhere.  The werewolves show up, but they aren't really werewolves.  They just change whenever they want, usually if they are mad and they can transform instantly while running.  The moon has nothing to do with their changes.  I think they are shape shifters who change in a large - very large - wolves.  The fur looks ok on the wolves the few seconds they stand still, but most of the time they are moving too much to tell how good they really look.  Having them be that big is just odd.  Some things do look better in this movie.  The sparkle effect may be slightly better, but it still looks stupid.  Sparkling vampires.  Please.  Edward looks like he rolled around in a vat of glitter powder.  The makeup does look a bit better and no one looks as extremely pale as happened in the first movie. 

None of the vampires are around much, so they don't add much of anything.  The red eye look for the Volturi - especially Jane - does work as a creepy look.  Jane is very creepy looking with the way she smiles.  The "werewolves" really don't do much of anything either other than transform a few times and run around snarling.  The action is practically nonexistent.  Jacob is around a bit more. Sometimes he is ok, and other times he acts like more of a jerk.  He does look good without his shirt though.

Bella is horrible.  She mopes and wallows in her depression and misery.  Then she thinks up one stupid danger thing after another to do just so she can see a hallucination of Edward.  She still has no confidence in Edward's feelings for her, so she never even thinks that Edward may be attempting to protect her.  She evidently has already forgotten how over protective he can be.  None of the acting is anything special, though part of that may be the material they have to work with.

There are a few slightly entertaining things that happen, but that's it.  This movie isn't anything special and most people can safely skip it.  Only fans of the books may find something to like.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

New Moon

Critter

Re: New Moon
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
 :thumbup: