Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 105864 times)

richierich

December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
December is the Christmas Marathon Month.   :yahoo:

3 choices again, so everyone can join in this festive co-operative effort.   (I'm cracking the whip this month, even if every member only watches one film/episode!!)

Choice A
Full Christmas Marathon (A)...
Watch 31 films or tv episodes linked either directly, or loosely, with Christmas.
Film examples - santa clause, miracle on 34th street
TV episode examples - tour of duty s3: green christmas, jonathan creek christmas special
Loosely linked examples - Die Hard (set in xmas holiday), 25th hour (25th is xmas), Crash (stars HOLLY Hunter)

Choice B
Full December Marathon (B)...
Watch 31 films or tv episodes beginning, or ending, with the following letters;
D V D C O L L E C T O R S O N L I N E X M A S M A R A T H O N

Choice C
12 DVDS of Christmas (C)...
Watch 12 films or TV episodes linked directly to Christmas

All marathon lists should be in the other thread, so book your place and start planning 

All discussions and reviews from your marathon please post in this thread

Good luck to all participants, and enjoy your Xmas viewing month    :cheers:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »
I've a question... it's not really one but I want to know.

Like I've wrote in the marathon topic I'm not sure to do it, not because I can't find enough movies to do the choice B but because I feel that many of my recent reviews aren't very good... So my question, if I don't review everything this time is it ok?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
Since Rick had finally did one with us this month, maybe some new people should try also... Kathy? Mathias? Eric? Others? Nobody will be angry if you can't complete it, the fun is to try...

BTW Rick, I've really appreciated reading your reviews. I sure don't understand why you have make us wait so long :shrug:

I'm not even angry after Sebastien, even if I had teasing me again by putting Chantal in his list without watching it again :whistle:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:20:24 AM by Jimmy »

richierich

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »

Like I've wrote in the marathon topic I'm not sure to do it, not because I can't find enough movies to do the choice B but because I feel that many of my recent reviews aren't very good... So my question, if I don't review everything this time is it ok?

Personally I've no problem for anyone not doing a review, it's just a personal choice. But your reviews are good Jimmy, not sure why you think otherwise?

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »
I'm not even angry after Sebastien, even if I had teasing me again by putting Chantal in his list without watching it again :whistle:

never despair! i'm planning on putting it back in my Xmas list, I just never got around to it last month

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »
Personally I've no problem for anyone not doing a review, it's just a personal choice. But your reviews are good Jimmy, not sure why you think otherwise?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've the impression to always write the same thing and don't write a lot of detail about the genre, director, actor, ...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

Usually I do not have to say much in my reviews. And sometimes it is even the case that I don't have to say anything at all or I am just too lazy to write a review. Happened multiple times in my November marathon. In those cases I just give it a rating in my list and that was it.
I remember the first such marathons we did on this side, most of us didn't write reviews. We only filled our lists with ratings.
So in my opinion it is no problem at all, if someone is not up to writing reviews, but only fills the list.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:26:57 PM »
Looking over the options I think I will just stick with my yearly 25 Days of Christmas marathon.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »

Title: Van Wilder
Year: 2002
Director: Walt Becker
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Ryan Reynolds
Tara Reid
Tim Matheson
Kal Penn
Teck Holmes

Plot:
To Van Wilder (Ryan Reynolds), college doesn't get you ready for life, it is life. So when his father puts a stop to his cash flow, it looks lke the party might finally be over for Van. Down, but not out, Van and his team devise a series of money-making schemes that soon come to the attention of the college magazine, who send out sexy college reporter, Gwen (Tara Reid) to do a feature on the infamous 'Van Wilder, Party Liaison' to boost their circulation figures. But when things start to go wrong for Van, he realizes that this time he may need to do something really crazy... GRADUATE!

Awards:
Satellite Awards2003NominatedBest Original Song"Girl On The Roof"

Extras:
Featurettes
Interviews
Music Videos
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie since I first got it years ago. My memory was that though it was an average movie, I enjoyed this movie. Somehow it was not as good as I remembered it. But it is still above most of the gross-out comedies we see today.
Tara Reid is weak in this movie. I really do not remember a memorable performance of hers except of great role in "Josie and the Pussycats".
Simon Helberg (Howard from Big Bang Theory) makes a small appearance in this movie.

Rating:

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
I do plan to take part though I haven't watched my first item yet.  I still haven't decided which option I want to go with, though.  I won't do The 12 Days of Christmas simply because I don't want to do just 12 items...though 31 can be a bit tough since I didn't quite get there in November.  But I will likely watch some Christmas TV episodes as well as movies which will make it easier...maybe.  Don't you hate wishy-washy people?  :laugh:  I'll probably go with option 2 just to see how I fill it in.  My goal here is to not go a week or more with no viewings like I did in November so I have to play catch up by watching 3-5 items in one day...  :stars:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »

Title: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Year: 1997
Director: David Mirkin
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Croatian, Danish, English, Finnish, Greek, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Mira Sorvino
Lisa Kudrow
Janeane Garofalo
Alan Cumming
Julia Campbell

Plot:
Big laughs and hot stars make this a can't-miss comedy in the hilarious tradition of Clueless and Dumb And Dumber! Romy (Academy Award winner Mira Sorvino) and Michele (Emmy Award winner Lisa Kudrow) are carefree party girls who reinvent themselves for their 10-year high school reunion! With new wardrobes and wild stories of success, they make a big impression..until a former classmate (Janeane Garofalo Clay Pigeons) blabs their real story to everyone! But that's when Romy and Michele let loose with a surprise of their own...and outrageous results! featuring a sizzling hit soundtrack of favorite hits from the '80s, it's the comedy treat The New York Times calls 'Cheerful, Giddy Fun!'

Awards:
Satellite Awards1998NominatedBest Actress – Comedy or MusicalLisa Kudrow

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie has been on my "I really have to watch it again sometime" list for awhile now, but I never seemed to came around to actually rewatch it. Usually I get the urge to rewatch it, when I see Alan Cumming in something. This movie is the first time that I have noticed him in something. Just recently when his character in "Josie and the Pussycats" made an in-joke to this movie, my mind was nagging me again to watch this movie. In Josie he said, that some people have to wait until their 10 year high school reunion to show up their former class mates. Just what his character does in this movie.
I remembered enjoying this movie, but I was surprised how much I still enjoyed it. Mira Sorvino is really beautiful in this one. I also really enjoyed Janeane Garofalo in this one.

Rating:

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »

Gunsmoke
Season One, Episode 12--"Magnus"

Original Air Date—24 December 1955
Chester is concerned when his nomadic and "uncivilized" brother pays a Christmas visit to Dodge, but Magnus Goode proves worldlier and more adaptable to town life than anyone thought possible

This was a first-season episode of Gunsmoke...back when Dennis Weaver was still a regular as Chester Goode and when the show was a half-hour black & white show.  It's a light-hearted episode for the most part as Chester is fearing meeting up with his "uncivilized" brother Magnus (Robert Easton) who has spent most of his life out away from towns among the wild beasts.  He takes his brother around Dodge and his brother adapts fairly readily...in his own way.  The main danger in this episode is in the form of a man named Lucifer (James Anderson), a wild scripture-spouter who claims that Kitty is evil and plans to shoot her with his shotgun at her own party...until Magnus steps in and rescues her in an innovative way.  Finally, Chester comes to admire his own brother and gives Magnus his best knife as a Christmas present...only to find out Magnus plans to leave the next day.  It seems the town is just too civilized for him.  I like this episode and it doesn't hurt that Amanda Blake (Kitty)...and everyone else...was much younger-looking back then in Gunsmoke's opening season.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:49:25 AM by Rogmeister »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »

Title : Day of the Dead (1985)

Overview
In this third and final shocker in the legendary trilogy from writer/director George A. Romero (DAWN OF THE DEAD, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD), a small group of scientists and soldiers have taken refuge in an underground missle silo where they struggle to control the flesh-eating horror that walks the earth above. But will the final battle for the future of the human race be fought among the living or have they forever unleashed the hunger of the dead? Lori Cardille, Joe Pilato, Richard Liberty and Howard Sherman star in this controversial classic with groundbreaking gore effects by Tom Savini and featuring the most intense zombie carnage ever filmed.

My Impression
Surprise, I review a well known movie. You see I can watch mainstream film sometimes :laugh:
For me this is the zombie movie, yes Dawn of the Dead is also good but it is just too cartoony to be taken seriously. This one had all the ingredients for the perfect zombie movie receipe : great acting (overacting some will say but not necessarily the case), great special effect by a Tom Savini at the height of his art, a claustrophobic mood, a complete schizophrenic crazyness (no one is mentally stable in this building, except for the chopper pilot) and a fear created by the number and not the speed. What can I add? Nothing really since it's the best movie Romero had ever done after Martin

Rating :

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:49 AM »
I have finished filling my list. Titles subject to change.

richierich

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
I have finished filling my list. Titles subject to change.

Are you going to write a review for Brazil Tom? I've had it for years but keep overlooking it as its so blooooodddyyy long
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:20:36 AM by Rich »