Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon  (Read 48795 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »
Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon
I wasn't going to at first since I haven't been able to watch movies as much as I would like lately... but decided to give this a try. I am doing my own thread because I didn't want the main list to end up on like page 5 of the main thread. Besides... I always liked having my own thread for the marathons for some reason anyway. Now I am not going to guarantee I will make it... but I will try to get something starting with every letter watched this month. And I will not necessarily watch them in alphabetical order... but will try to get something for every letter watched. Wish me luck that I do better then last month's marathon... and you can count on plenty of horror I am sure!

Note: Titles in RED Are first time viewings.

Letter:
Title:
Date:
Rating:
#:
The 7th Victim
11/07

A:
Autopsy
11/07

B:
Bimbos BC
11/07

C:
Cat People
11/11

D:
Day of the Dead
11/20

E:
The Expedition
11/12

F:
Forty Guns
11/20

G:
Ghost Rider
11/06

H:
Hellboy
11/10

I:
I Dream of Dracula
11/08

J:
Justice League: The New Frontier
11/21

K:
Killer Story
11/08

L:
The Leopard Man
11/12

M:
My Bloody Valentine
11/06

N:
Norma Rae
11/22

O:
The Orphanage
11/10

P:
Princess Diaries
11/22

Q:
Queen of the Damned
11/27

R:
Roxy Hunter and the Mystery of the Moody Ghost
11/07

S:
Shutter
11/05

T:
The Tommyknockers
11/27

U:
The Uninvited
11/08

V:
Vampire Conspiracy
11/06

W:
Wonder Woman
11/21

X:
The X-Files: I Want To Believe
11/20

Y:
Young Frankenstein
11/28

Z:
Zorro's Fighting Legion
11/29

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:27:36 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: November Alphabet Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
you can count on plenty of horror I am sure!
It isn't the time for the "Can I do It?" post yet? :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »

Title: Shutter: Unrated
Year: 2008
Director: Masayuki Ochiai
Rating: NR
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Joshua Jackson
Rachael Taylor
Megumi Okina
David Denman
John Hensley

Plot:
Prepare yourself for bone-chilling terror and suspence with this Unrated Edition of Shutter—packed with shocking uncut footage you couldn't see in theaters and a twisted alternate ending you must see to believe!

Soon after New York newlyweds Ben (Joshua Jackson) and Jane (Rachael Taylor) arrive in Japan for Ben's latest photography assignment, they discover disturbing, ghostly reflections of a young woman in their own photos. This inexplicable "spirit image" may be connected to Ben's past, and she's determined to provide the couple with a horrifying future of relentless vengeance from which there is no escape!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
During Britt's party yesterday my sis-in-law and niece was telling me how I have to watch this movie next! That they loved it... and my niece even went as far to say she couldn't watch this movie by herself. After that build up maybe it is because my expectations were too high... I don't know. But it just didn't do it for me. I mean it wasn't a bad movie... it was an entertaining story. But it definitely wasn't anything special. And no where near scary. I know... I know... I shouldn't have went with the American remake... right?

But as I said. It isn't all bad. I definitely liked the storyline. And there were a couple decent scenes. I think it picked up quite a bit in the last half hour... but just not enough to make it more then just an average movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
I know... I know... I shouldn't have went with the American remake... right?

:slaphead:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:27:39 AM »
I know... I shouldn't have went with the American remake... right?
:slaphead:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »
I saw most of this on HBO...I wasn't overly impressed either, though I did think a few moments were creepy. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »

Title: Ghost Rider: Widescreen Edition
Year: 2007
Director: Mark Steven Johnson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Nicolas Cage
Matt Long
Raquel Alessi
Brett Cullen
Peter Fonda

Plot:
Johnny Blaze (Nicholas Cage) was only a teenage stunt biker when he sold his soul to the devil(Peter Fonda). Years later, Johnny is a world-renowned daredevil by day, but at night, he becomes the Ghost Rider of Marvel Comics legend. The devil's bounty hunter, he is charged with finding evil souls on earth and bringing them to hell. But when a twist of fate brings Johnny's long-lost love (Eva Mendes) back into his life, Johnny relizes he just might have a second chance at happiness--if he can beat the devil and win back his soul. To do so he'll have to defeat Blackheart (Wes Bentley), the devil's nemesis and wayward son, whose plot to take over his father's realm will bring hell on earth -- unless Ghost Rider can stop him.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I know... There is many people that do not like this movie... but you know what I think?... I think they are all WRONG! I mean I respect their opinion... but this is one I really enjoyed. I first seen this movie when it was first released on DVD when my sis-in-law bought it and let me watch her copy. I was wanting it every since... but wanted the special 2 disc edition. Unfortunately that one never did come down in price so when I saw this one the other day I decided I will just get it. Sure... this movie wasn't perfect... but what it was... it was a whole lot of fun and it looked awesome! And I think that is what I liked the most about this movie. While I did like the story... the effects were just great and a whole lot of fun to watch. It is funny... when it comes to Nicholas Cage... I either like him in something or I just hate him. I don't know why. When I first heard he was doing this I thought well there goes any chance of this movie being any good. But I was really wrong... I found I liked him a lot in this role. I also liked Sam Elliot in his role.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »

Title: The Vampire Conspiracy
Year: 2003
Director: Marc Morgenstern
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Sarah Boes
Adrian M. Pryce
Ron Mazor
Christiane Garcia
John Lopes

Plot:
Five strangers are abducted by a megalomaniacal vampire and put into a deadly maze of wits and endurance. Should they make it through alive, they receive this vampire entire fortune. Should they fail, they become his victims and are placed back into the game, this time as a succubus to hunt the next round of victims.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is another movie out of the 50 movie boxset Mortuary of Madness. And for me... this is another winner. It kinda reminds me of one of my favorites... Cube. Sure this movie is very low budget... but it don't hurt it much at all. I would say the acting is pretty good... though not great. If a lot of bad language bothers you for whatever reason this one may bug you a bit. As it seems like they throw in some bad language after every other word. The ending is a bit on the confusing side... but overall I enjoyed this one quite a bit. There is now a few movies in this set that I enjoyed... so I can definitely say I didn't waste $15 on this set!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
Great to see that you have appreciated something that I've recommanded in my october marathon ;D
:phew: I'm sure glad to see that you are also confused by the end. I was thinking that maybe I had missing something because of the language...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:20:30 PM »
Oh no... wasn't just you... it definitely got a bit confusing towards the end.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 04:21:29 AM »

Title: My Bloody Valentine
Year: 2009
Director: Patrick Lussier
Rating: R
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround

Stars:
Jensen Ackles
Jaime King
Kerr Smith
Betsy Rue
Edi Gathegi

Plot:
The town of Harmony would like to forget its horrific past. Ten years ago, after a tragic mining accident, Harry Warden awoke from his coma on Valentine's Day – and brutally murdered 22 people with a pickax before being killed himself. Now, after years of peace, there's a killer on the loose, again wearing a miner's mask and brandishing a pickax. Has Harry Warden returned from the dead?

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
My sister-in-law came over this evening wanting to watch a movie and we decided on this one. At least this time I have seen the original before the remake! But we all enjoyed this one. It was pretty cool to see Jensen Ackles in something other then Supernatural. You can tell this movie was originally made to be seen in 3-D... but since I can't see 3-D movies (I am blind in 1 eye) I bought the standard version. Though I would love to be able to see this one in 3-D... it definitely would have been cool... especially with some of the gore in this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:49:47 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

richierich

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »
sorry Pete I posted review in wrong thread  :-[
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:57:03 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »

Title: The 7th Victim
Year: 1943
Director: Mark Robson
Length: 71 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Conway
Jean Brooks
Isabel Jewell
Kim Hunter

Plot:
Six people have broken a clandestine group's code of silence. The same six have died as a result. Now a new member of the group has gone missing. Will she meet the same fate?

Chris Auty in Time Out Film Guide says: "The Seventh Victim is [Val Lewton's] masterpiece...a remarkably effective mix of menace and metaphysics — half noir, half Gothic." Kim Hunter debuts as a schoolgirl whose search for her vanished sister unearths an urban lair of devil worshippers. Mark Robson directs the first of his five Lewton films, bringing dark foreboding to moments that include a much noted pre-Psycho shower scene and a shocker of a subway encounter better experienced than read about here.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This movie came in the Val Lewton Horror Collection. Though not what you would consider a horror now a day. It felt more like a mystery/thriller to me. But it is definitely an enjoyable movie. Granted the movie is only 71min long... but it seemed to go by so fast because I was glued to the TV screen... engrossed in this movie. I have to wonder if this movie is where Hitchcock got his idea for the shower scene in Psycho... as there was a somewhat eerie (though only a stern warning no murder) shower scene in this movie. I really liked Kim Hunter in this movie. I will have to see what else I may have with her in my collection. This movie also has Hugh Beaumont of the classic sitcom Leave it to Beaver. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone that likes classic movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
I have to wonder if this movie is where Hitchcock got his idea for the shower scene in Psycho...

:thumbup:

Well spotted, Pete! Lewton was way ahead of his time and a big influence on a lot of directors. Scorcese has done much to give him the recognition he deserves, both through the documentary in the set we have, and artistically, not least apparently in his next movie, Shutter Island. I have high hopes for that, despite the delays.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »

Title: Autopsy: After Dark Horrorfest III
Year: 2008
Director: Adam Gierasch
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Jessica Lowndes
Ross Kohn
Ross McCall
Ashley Schneider
Arkady Golubovich

Plot:
A group of recent college grads is taking a final vacation together when an accident leaves them hurt and stranded on a lonely Louisiana road. An ambulance arrives and takes them to Mercy Hospital, an eerie , half-empty place that harbors a chilling secret: a doctor conducting inhuman experiments on its helpless patients.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
Miss Horrorfest Webisodes

My Thoughts:
This was a blind buy I made last months in the hopes of watching it for my marathon. Unfortunately I never got the chance to watch it then. Let me tell you... if you like gore then this is a movie you will want to see. This movie has more then it's share of gore. The storyline could be a bit better.. but it is entertaining enough to keep your attention. The crazed doctor in this movie is played by Robert Patrick. Doing all kinds of experiments on helpless victims to try to save his wife. This one is worth checking out if the gore don't bother you.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete