Author Topic: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 202065 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom, they are making a Sequel to Cats and Dogs next year called Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore ...Oh dear.
Yes, I have read that yesterday. I wonder how that will turn out  :laugh:

snowcat

Tom, they are making a Sequel to Cats and Dogs next year called Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore ...Oh dear.
Yes, I have read that yesterday. I wonder how that will turn out  :laugh:

Lol, well... Im not holding high hopes for that one! and I enjoyed the original.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Title: 10 Things I Hate About You
Year: 1999
Director: Gil Junger
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Croatian, Danish, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Heath Ledger
Julia Stiles
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Larisa Oleynik
David Krumholtz

Plot:
A cool cast of young stars is just one of the things you'll love about this hilarious comedy hit. On the first day at his new school, Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, - Halloween: H20, TV's 3rd Rock From The Sun) instantly falls for Bianca (Larisa Oleynik - The Baby Sitters Club), the gorgeous girl of his dreams. The only problem is that Bianca is forbidden to date until her ill-tempered, completely un-dateable older sister Kat (Julia Stiles - Wide Awake) goes out, too. In an attempt to solve his problem, Cameron singles out the only guy who could possibly be a match for Kat: a mysterious bad-boy (Heath Ledger - The Patriot) with a nasty reputation of his own. Also featuring a hip soundtrack - this witty comedy is a wildly entertaining look at exactly how far some guys will go to get a date.

Awards:
Casting Society of America Awards1999NominatedBest Casting for Feature Film – ComedyMarcia Ross, Donna Morong
MTV Movie Awards2000WonBest Female Breakthrough PerformanceJulia Stiles
MTV Movie Awards2000NominatedBest Musical Performance"Can't Take My Eyes Off of You": Heath Ledger
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Choice Breakout PerformanceJulia Stiles
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Choice Comedy
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Funniest SceneDavid Krumholtz
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Sexiest Love SceneJulia Stiles, Heath Ledger
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedSoundtrack of the Year
YoungStar Awards1999NominatedBest Performance by a Young Actor in a Comedy FilmJoseph Gordon-Levitt
YoungStar Awards1999NominatedBest Performance by a Young Actress in a Comedy FilmJulia Stiles
YoungStar Awards1999NominatedBest Performance by a Young Actress in a Comedy FilmLarisa Oleynik

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
One of my favorite teen comedies. One of the last one before teen comedies equaled cross-out humor.
I also always loved the music selection. And also strangely this is the role of Heath Ledger I will always associate him with. It may be because this is the first movie I saw him in.

Rating:

Rogmeister

I saw Cats & Dogs in a movie theater when it was first released.  I know many cat lovers were a bit upset when the cats were made the villains but I took it in the sense of fun it was meant to be.  And I thought it was very funny anf fitting that a Russian Blue cat (a cat with many weapons) did speak with a Russian accent in the movie  :)

Najemikon

So is everyone sticking their reviews in here? Surely that'll make Jimmy's job harder? :hmmmm:

richierich

So is everyone sticking their reviews in here? Surely that'll make Jimmy's job harder? :hmmmm:

I thought it would be good to have them in one place so we can read them all at once, but of course if it makes Jimmys job too hard he should say and we comply with his wishes

snowcat

I was going to post my reviews in my review thread...

As for 10 Things I hate about You, this was also my first Heath movie, and I always think of him as that character too.

RossRoy

Personally, I was going to post them both in here, and in my random review thread. Or maybe I should just link to here from my review thread...

Either way, I have to decide soon since I have to post my first review today! :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Not at all, I enter them in my txt model when I read them. So you can post your reviews anywhere I will see them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Title: Josie and the Pussycats
Year: 2001
Director: Deborah Kaplan, Harry Elfont
Rating: PG
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, English, Finnish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Rachael Leigh Cook
Tara Reid
Rosario Dawson
Alan Cumming
Parker Posey

Plot:
Josie (Rachael Leigh Cook, Antitrust), Melody (Tara Reid, American Pie 2) and Val (Rosario Dawson, Down To You) are life-long friends determined to take their band out of the garage and into the stratosphere - while staying true to their own look, style and sound.

The band is soon discovered by hot-shot manager Wyatt Frame (Alan Cumming, Spy Kids) who introduces them to MegaRecords CEO Fiona (Parker Posey, Best In Show) as the next best thing.

Within days they have the number one single in the country, but they soon discover that all is not what it seems. Fiona and Wyatt have devised a hi-tech plan to control the youth of America through their music. It's time for Josie and the Pussycats to bare their claws and fight back.

Featuring a fantastic soundtrack awarded **** by Empire.

Awards:
Teen Choice Awards2001NominatedFilm - Choice ActressRachael Leigh Cook
Teen Choice Awards2001NominatedFilm - Choice Breakout PerformanceRosario Dawson
Teen Choice Awards2001NominatedFilm - Choice Comedy

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I just love this movie. And I really like the music in it (I even have the soundtrack). It's just such a nice feel-good movie. Sadly this was a boxoffice flop (undeservedly so). As far as I know, this was the last big studio movie, that the beautiful Rachael Leigh Cook was in.
Also the other cast members are great in this movie. Like Rosario Dawson as Val. I especially liked Tara Reid's performance as the bubbly Melody. I think it is the best role of her career. She always reminds of Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls here.
Also fun is the uncredited appearance by Seth Green, Brecklin Meyer and Donald Faison as the boygroup parody.
The singing voice of Josie is provided by the singer of the band "Letter to Cleo". Coincidentally, she also appeared in another movie I have watched today ("10 Things I Hate About You". As the blonde singer of Kat's favorite band). This makes the soundtrack to this movie like a solo album of hers.

Rating:

Najemikon

I just love this movie. And I really like the music in it (I even have the soundtrack). It's just such a nice feel-good movie. Sadly this was a boxoffice flop (undeservedly so). As far as I know, this was the last big studio movie, that the beautiful Rachael Leigh Cook was in.
Also the other cast members are great in this movie. Like Rosario Dawson as Val. I especially liked Tara Reid's performance as the bubbly Melody. I think it is the best role of her career. She always reminds of Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls here.
Also fun is the uncredited appearance by Seth Green, Brecklin Meyer and Donald Faison as the boygroup parody.
The singing voice of Josie is provided by the singer of the band "Letter to Cleo". Coincidentally, she also appeared in another movie I have watched today ("10 Things I Hate About You". As the blonde singer of Kat's favorite band). This makes the soundtrack to this movie like a solo album of hers.

I enjoyed this movie too and I'm right with you on Tara and the songs are great. It's great fun. But it's flawed as well. I though the whole plot with the villains was badly done and the boyband out of place... :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Don't sound like my type of movie... that is for sure!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Don't sound like my type of movie... that is for sure!  :P

I think besides the music, you would enjoy it.

richierich

Title: Vertigo

Runtime:129
Certificate:PG
Year:1958
Genres:Suspense/Thriller, Classic

Plot:Considered by many to be director 'Alfred Hitchcock's' greatest achievement comes this fully restored and remastered version of the haunting film classic. This special release also contains a restoration trailer and revealing documentary footage.
Set in San Francisco, 'James Stewart' portrays an acrophobic detective hired to trail a friend's suicidal wife ('Novak'). After he successfully rescues her from a leap into the bay, he finds himself becoming obsessed with the beautifully troubled woman.
One of cinema's most chilling romantic endeavors: it's a fascinating myriad of haunting camera angles shot among some of San Francisco's renowned landmarks. This film is a must for collectors; Leonard Maltin gives 'Vertigo' four stars and hails it as "A genuinely great motion picture that demands multiple viewings."

My Review:
Ponderously slow at times, unnecessarily long, but captivating totally and ridiculously advanced technically for its time. You watch this film and you have to hold your hands up and admit that Hitch was a true genius behind the camera. It's not the greatest storyline, it hasn't got my favourite cast, there are a few appalling romance scenes - but what it does have that keeps you glued to the movie is masterful direction and cinematography, bringing alive deceipt, lies, intrigue, suspense and unhealthy love.
A very psychological film, was it about JS's phobia, was it a sad series of twists in a love story, was it exploring unrequitted love and betrayal, was it highlighting schizophrenia, or possibly male dominance? Whichever you choose you would probably be right, and you find yourself through Hitch's in depth characterisations feeling sorry for JS, Novak and even Bel Geddes at different times.
Not my favourite Hitchcock, but one I most respect, it is dizzying and compulsive. How did he never win an oscar??
My Rating

:D

Rogmeister

Wow...Vertigo...I was thinking of reviewing that during this marathon, too.  But I wasn't sure...so I think I'll pass on it now...I do have at least one other "V" movie in my collection...and it's a western.  I love westerns but strangely enough don't plan to review too many of them during this marathon, though my first review is going to be of one.