Author Topic: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 202091 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
...A few scenes do have some graphic violence in them which might upset or even offend some viewers.  

Over-sensitive Americans!  :devil:

I'm thinking of watching this again for my Z, as I don't have many, but it's so sad that Edward Woodward died, I have an urge to see his last role again. 

Yes well..I didn't say it upset or offended me.  Just that the..possibility is there.

Yes it is.  I hadn't realized he was in it when I watched it..I didn't recognize him.

lyonsden5

Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation Matthias, I'll add it to the wishlist.

richierich

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »

Title: Incendiary

Runtime:96
Certificate:15
Year:2008
Genres:Drama, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Based on Chris Cleave's electrifying best-selling novel, Incendiary is an explosive thriller set in the aftermath of a terrorist strike in London.
When a bomb blast at a football game kills her husband and son while she is in the midst of an illicit encounter with Jasper (Ewan McGregor - Trainspotting, Moulin Rouge) - a man she picked up in a pub - the promiscuous wife and young mother (Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain) becomes wracked with guilt. Matters are further complicated when she becomes involved with Terence (Matthew MacFadyen - Pride and Prejudice, Frost/Nixon), the policeman in charge of the investigation into the bombing. Angry at the betrayal, Jasper begins his own investigation and soon discovers that Terence harbours some shocking secrets himself...

My Review:
Weak and oversentimental, to call it a suspense/thriller is a falsehood, it is a weak and boring diatribe about a mother trying to come to terms with the loss of her son, guilt from her and her lover, and an attempt at something moralistic at the finish.
The start with the affair and the terrorist attack at a football match was good and promised much, unfortunately it fizzled out after 20 minutes and was tedious to the extreme to view. All the actors plodded through their roles, McGregor in particular was poor, and Michelle Williams you would have gladly strangled to remove the sourpuss look she permeated for over an hour.
Definately one to avoid, do not get fooled by an interesting overview on the dvd like I did!
My Rating
 :yawn:

Najemikon

St. Trininan's ***
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
St. Trinian's
3 out of 5

St.Trinian's, the infamous school for 'young ladies', is facing a financial crisis. The new Education Minister (Colin Firth) is an old flame of the headmistress (Rupert Everett) but is determined to bring discipline and order to the anarchic school. A motley crew of teachers, and ruthless pupils join forces to steal the famous painting "Girl With A Pearl Earring" from the National Gallery. But can their combined cunning, girlish wiles and total lack of shame win the day before the authorities close them down for good?

The Belles of St. Trinian's is an absolute gem. This remake, is not. In fact it's pretty rubbish, but that at least means it's on a par with the originals sequels which tended to get steadily worse.

The premise, based on the cartoons of Ronald Searle, is still intact and it is glorious. I just love the idea of a self-sufficient school running riot with slapstick violence. The girls are great and at their very best are a sheer force of nature (see the moment they charge through Trafalgar Square!) led by The Twins (Holly and Cloe Mackie), backed up by the more cunning older girls, be it daft but gorgeous Posh Totty Chelsea (Tamsin Egerton) or especially the devious head girl Kelly (Gemma Arterton). They're a tight knit bunch and it takes a while for new girl Annabelle (Talulah Riley) to find her place.

She's the niece of headmistress Camilla Fritton, played brilliantly by Rupert Everett in drag (he also plays her brother). I don't normally like him, but he's good here although Alistair Sim is a very tough act to follow. Everett is great in his (her?) scenes with Colin Firth, who lifts the overall quality somewhat. Russell Brand is Flash Harry who helps the girls with their various illegal activities. He's ok, but not being stretched. I don't begrudge him being a stand-up comedian turned actor though after seeing that he was pretty good in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

So the characters are great and played by a good cast, plus the spirit of the original is well in place, what went wrong? Because as I said, it's not a good film. The plot though loosely based on Belles is a mess and there's far too much going on. Plus it's poorly edited killing some of the humour. The writers have not been looked after by the director Frank Launder. Still it's a typical Ealing story and there's little else like it,

It lacks the charm of the original, but then it was made at a unique time. British film found a real niche post-war because it's as if the teenager had inherited the world and the irreverence of things like Billy Liar was exploited ten-fold by the outrageous exploits of the girls school that refused to be ignored. The new version can't claim any of that and if anything, looks out of date before it starts. It's just bloody good innocent fun and that's all you should look for.

The end scene features Girls Aloud which should be a dreadful moment, whatever you think of them. But they blend in quite well and you get to see Cheryl Cole in a school uniform...  ;)

richierich

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »

Title: Quicksand

Runtime:95
Certificate:NR
Year:2001
Genres:Action, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Martin (Michael Keaton) travels to Monaco to check on some "suspicious" activities of a film production.  With millions of dollars at stake, certain shady investors decide to set him up to get rid of him permanently.  Martin is framed for the murder of the Monaco Police Chief and finds himself a fugitive from justice.  Now he must find out who is behind this scheme and race to find Jake (Michael Caine) - the only person who can help prove his innocence - before they find and kill him.

My Review:
With the feel of a made for TV movie, this disappointing flick wastes some acting talent with a dumb and tensionless script. Half-hearted performances from the likes of Keaton and Caine, who would probably like to scrub this from the CV's. It is the tired old Russian mafia kidnaps kid and frames innocent script, and there is nothing to rave about regarding an exciting twist at the end, there wasn't one.
The budget must have been spent on the stars, as there was nothing left for the film, which was mostly shot in cheap studio locations and without any major action scenes. The only positives were the scenes shot in the European cities, and the acting of Kathleen Wilhoite which was head and shoulders above the others.
Literally sunk like Quicksand.
My Rating
 :yawn:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2009, 05:18:32 AM »

I have no words for this piece of crap. Except maybe: Too long, too clichee, not even well-made (the last 30min looked like they were filmed with someone's home-video camera!).

:yucky:

Najemikon

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
Oh, Achim! Write the review, because there is nothing more fun than tearing into something... ;D

One thing though, do you like The Day After Tomorrow?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »
Oh, Achim! Write the review, because there is nothing more fun than tearing into something... ;D
I was discussing the film with my friend afterwards and already lacked word for it. I am also not quite the analyzing viewer as you are and simply repeating plotholes and stupid stuff would be rather spoilerific. So, sorry, I don't really want to think about the movie more to write a review, I'd rather forget it sooner than later. :laugh:

Well, not really. But it wasn't as bad as this, it was better made and the things shown seemed feasible or slightly more possible.

Najemikon

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
Well, not really. But it wasn't as bad as this, it was better made and the things shown seemed feasible or slightly more possible.

That'll do! Fits in with what I've heard.

Najemikon

Tigerland ****
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
Tigerland
4 out of 5

Just released from the base stockade, brash, charismatic recruit Roland Bozz (Farrell) joins a platoon of young soldiers preparing to ship out to Vietnam. Bozz's independence and outright defiance draws fire from his own men as well as commanding officers who can't afford conflict in the middle of a war. But when the paltoon is sent to Tigerland, a hellish training ground that is the last stop before Vietnam, Bozz's leadership and character bring his men together - triggering extraordinary circumstances.

Joel Schumacher was once a promising director, who took the rock 'n' roll excess of The Lost Boys and eventually disappeared up his own backside with Batman and Robin, widely accepted as one of the worst films ever made and so bad, he and star George Clooney actually apologised for it! For him to come back from that with Tigerland is simply astonishing. What's next? Michael Bay does Bergman?

The first thing you notice is how gritty the film is. Low budget, back to basics 16mm with a washed out, high-contrast palette and a handheld camera that moves beautifully between characters. Edits are where they need to be and there isn't a single gratuitous shot in the film. It's convincingly raw, with some nudity, but it's filmed almost like a documentary.

But for all the work done to make it look like a proper film, Schumacher has picked an easy subject to break out his artistic side on. The clichés of the young men going to war have been done to death, especially Vietnam which forms the back drop to this story. He could set the cast on auto-pilot and he'd still get a cool film.

So that's the second surprise. He directs a superb, almost all-male cast to deliver performances to match the realism of his camera, working from a lean script by Ross Klavan and Michael McGruther. While on paper, the simple plot seems to check all the boxes for A War Film, it feels bitingly fresh. The closest I can liken it too is Band of Brothers, yet that realistic dialogue and low-key delivery is set-up in the first scene without the comforting wider goalposts of a TV series. TV also has the advantage of switching focus between characters, but here most of the weight is on Colin Farrell's shoulders. His character, Bozz, is the heart of the film and it's a confident and charismatic performance. All of them though give well judged performances that work with one another, where the average war film concentrates on one character at a time. Bozz is their anchor.

It's a lyrical film, with a poetic finale and Bozz is enigmatic enough that if he'd turned out to be a ghost, I wouldn't have been surprised! He seems to stand against the army on everything, understands why, helps others find their deserved way out, yet he can't leave. He isn't a ghost by the way! It's that contrast between the philosophy and the raw reality that makes the film quite unique. In that sense, it bears some comparison with The Thin Red Line, except I think this is more rewarding and personal. Bozz could be a bit like Jim Cavaziel's character in that film, with more vigour.

There is little action, as it is a story about training, centring on Bozz finding his place in the army. Tigerland is the final training ground and actually, the film is at it's weakest when the troops finally get there. Then it feels a little old, but not for long. Even if the ending is a bit obvious, you won't mind because it makes sense. In the end, no-one involved on this film ever attempts to be smug and they stay true to the plot.

Whatever you think of military based films, this is worth a try. It breathes life into an old genre while being a small, philosophical work about the nature of war and the men who fight it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:00:32 PM by Jon »

RossRoy

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Star Trek
WHAT THEY SAY
The future begins in J.J. Abrams' smash hit STAR TREK, "a burst of pure filmmaking exhilaration and an irresistible invitation for fun." Scott Mantz, ACCESS HOLLYWOOD

When the Romulan Nero comes from the future to take revenge on the Federation, rivals Kirk and Spock must work together to stop him from destroying everything they know. On a thrilling journey filled with incredible action, the new recruits of the U.S.S. Enterprise will voyage through unimaginable danger in one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed movies of the year.

MY THOUGHTS
What a feast! I loved it! Yes, they took a lot of liberties with the Star Trek canon. But you know what? It made for a great movie! And, somehow, I think that's what Star Trek needed the most. A proper reboot. Not necessarily throwing everything out the window, but subtle changes here and there to jazz it up a bit. And it's been done. With "panache"!

The writers did a good job giving it the Star Trek "feel"....
J.J. Abrams and his team did a good job giving it that shiny new, updated and spiffied look (which overuses lens flare, but eh! that's a small cost to finally getting more Trek)....

But all that would've been moot if the casting was off. These characters are iconic. They have a whole aura around them. And I must say, while I was skeptical on some of the choices, they totally nailed the casting. Each actor was right for the job. Because you know, while Zachary Quinto for Spock is almost a given, Karl Urban as Bones is a pure stroke of genius! I loved him as Bones! And Simon Pegg as Scotty? Yeah I was skeptical. Be he gets full marks! They all do!

I honestly didn't expect to like this new movie that much... but I must admit, to me, it ranks amongst the top. It might even become my favorite before too long!

:ok: to J.J. Abrams and his team. They did a terrific job bringing back Star Trek!

RATING:

I decided to make Star Trek my «K» letter movie, because I don't feel like watching Kung Fu Panda, and I'm way behind on the marathon.

richierich

« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

Title: Funny Face

Runtime:99
Certificate:U
Year:1957
Genres:Comedy, Musical, Classic

Plot:S'Wonderful, S'Marvelous!
Paris, the City of Light, shines even brighter when Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire team up for the only time and bring their luminous starpower to this exquisite musical featuring songs by George and Ira Gershwin. This dazzling romp -- filmed on location in Paris -- garnered four Academy Award® nominations.
In the role of bookstore clerk transformed into a modelling sensation, Hepburn showcases singing and dancing skills she had honed on the London stage, performing "How Long Has This Been Going On?," a "Basal Metabolism" dance in a cool-cat bistro and more. Astaire, as the fashion photographer who discovers her, conjures up his inimitable magic for sequences that include his "Let's Kiss And Make Up" matador diversion, a heavenly dance with Hepburn to "He Loves And She Loves" and, again with Hepburn, the title-tune enchantment, "I Love Your Funny Face." Now and forever, so do we.

My Review:
It was S'wonderful, S'marvelous.
Ok I'm not a great musical fan, but the Gershwin songs in this are pretty special and I can forgive any film when it has the most beautiful women ever (Audrey hepburn) in it.
Definately an up-tempo feel good film, elements of this movie can be seen in the likes of Devil Wears Prada to name just one. Outshining Hepburn and Astaire is a great performance from Kay Thompson as the fashion magazine editor. Very colourful and crisply shot, there is a sense of magic in the production and a cuddly and happy overtone over the whole flick.
The only negative must be Astaires role as the romantic lead. At 58 boy could he still dance, but lets be honest a young Hepburn would hardly be smitten with someone who looked like her grandad.
Overall this fluffy movie left a smile on my face and Hepburn is just so goddamn beautiful.
My Rating
 :D

Najemikon

Anvil: The Story of Anvil *****
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
5 out of 5

At 14, school friends Steve 'Lips' Kudlow and Rob Reiner made a pact to rock together forever. Their band, Anvil, went on to become the 'demigods of Canadian metal', releasing one of the heaviest albums in metal history, 1982's Metal on Metal. The album influenced a musical generaton including Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax, that went on to sell millions of records. But Anvil's career took a different path - straight to obscurity.

Anvil The Story of Anvil is a timeless, and at times hilarious, feel good tale of survival and the unadulterated passion it takes to follow your dream. Directed by Sasha Gervasi, we follow the band as they attempt one last shot at the big time with their thirteenth album 'This is Thirteen' and a calamitous European tour. You don't have to be a metal head to love Anvil. This is an inspirational, heart warming and uplifting tale of two best friends who refuse to give up on their dream. Metal on Metal forever!

You really couldn't make this up. It's a story crazier than This Is Spinal Tap, yet it is absolutely true and because of that, dramatic and uplifting. How these two have stayed friends, stayed married, stayed sane and stayed rockin' is just astonishing. Everything seems piled against them, but they keep punching. I don't think I've ever seen determination like this before, especially when the goal is so very far away and the unbending support of their families is actually starting to bend after all.

After brief, but influential success (there are interviews with Slash of Guns 'n' Roses, Lars of Metallica and Lemmy of Motorhead) with a couple of albums in the early 80s and a career high performance in Japan (alongside a young Bon Jovi), Lips and Robb continued to work even when the world didn't want them. The film follows them as they make their thirteenth album, despite the previous ten or so bringing them little more than obscurity. Lips now works delivering school meals and Robb is a builder. The interviews with their family can be heartbreaking; we should all be so blessed to have people like that around us. The overview is misleading in that it suggests this is their last chance. Well, that's true, but I doubt this pair would ever really give up.

The likeness to Tap is so uncanny you could be forgiven for thinking it's a tribute band, only they'd have more success! The European tour is such a disaster, your jaw will drop at how Tap-esque it is! Arranged by their Russian manager (girlfriend to one of the band, eventually) who can barely speak English :slaphead:, they miss trains, get lost, fight, make up. And don't get paid. It is so funny, but you'll feel for them too. They just deserve a break.

Because the huge difference with Rob Reiner's mockumentary (yes, the drummer in Anvil has the same name as the director of Spinal Tap. Told you this was uncanny) is that these guys are truly talented. They can play well. Why they haven't made it proves the record industry is more luck than judgement. 

There is surprisingly little music in the film, so that actually helps it find a wider audience. It doesn't matter if you don't like Metal; it doesn't matter if you don't even like music! ;) That would just give you another viewpoint, except I think if you dismissed Lips and Robb as completely nuts, you still wouldn't be able to help yourself willing them on, even when you question their motives.

Sasha Gervasi has made a perfect documentary. An old friend and roadie, he gets right into their lives without ever being disrespectful and has the huge stroke of luck that anyone in his position dreams of. Charming subjects, a farcical adventure and the ups and downs any story really needs.

I implore everyone to watch this. I repeat, it has nothing to do with the music! It's about these two friends and their dream and it's moving, brilliant and unique. If you enjoyed Spinal Tap on any level, this is essential.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2009, 01:24:31 AM »
 :o
I'm Canadian and I didn't even know that a documentary was done about the best metal band from here. Quite surprised that you have this Jon...

And yes it's true that Metal on Metal is the best metal album ever made... certainly better that anything made by Metallica or Megadeth anyway.

It was a time when the Canada was the biggest market for this genre of music and even today a good share of the old timer are nostalgic of this time. Even at my age, I can always enjoy Sodom, Metal Church, Exodus or Voivoid at maximum level. Talking of this last band, just in case you ignore it they are from the city next to mine ;D

thanks for the review :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:26:45 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »
:o
I'm Canadian and I didn't even know that a documentary was done about the best metal band from here. Quite surprised that you have this Jon...

And yes it's true that Metal on Metal is the best metal album ever made... certainly better that anything made by Metallica or Megadeth anyway.

It was a time when the Canada was the biggest market for this genre of music and even today a good share of the old timer are nostalgic of this time. Even at my age, I can always enjoy Sodom, Metal Church, Exodus or Voivoid at maximum level. Talking of this last band, just in case you ignore it they are from the city next to mine ;D

thanks for the review :thumbup:

No problem! You shouldn't be surprised though. I love rock music, though Metal is a bit much for my liking in general, and This Is Spinal Tap is a long standing favourite. Anyone who once played alongside Bon Jovi and is spoken about with a degree of awe by Slash of all people, has to be worth a look! Plus the reviews of this fantastic film are universally positive. They all mention tap and it is a good hook, but you come away with something true. Very emotional.

And I read an article that suggests they are now achieving a tangible level of success on the back of this documentary. This is fairy tale stuff!

There's more than one cute nod to Tap! The music producer has a volume control that goes to "11" and they visit Stonehenge... :laugh:

It's so good it deserves to be seen by a lot more than rock fans though. That's why I specifically mentioned the lack of actual music! Maybe Pete will be tempted...  ;)