Author Topic: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 202092 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Bad Lieutenant
Year: 1992
Director: Abel Ferrara
Rating: NC-17
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Harvey Keitel
Brian McElroy
Frankie Acciarito
Peggy Gormley
Stella Keitel
Victor Argo

Plot:
He has survived on the streets for twenty years. He's a gambler... a thief... a junkie... a killer and a cop. Now he's investigating the most shocking case of his life, and as he moves closer to the truth his self-destructive past is closing in. Harvey Keitel gives a searing performance as an out-of-control police detective on a collision course with disaster in director Abel Ferrara's brilliant and deeply disturbing melodrama.

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
The cover pretty much says it all already! It's a film about a cop who lost his path (assuming he used to have it) and is going down the wrong lane way too fast. Only once do we see him try to do actual police work, but at that point it seems already too late and the results he gets confuse him more than they help the case (not sure why the cover doesn't say it, I think it's no secret that a nun gets raped).

Keitel is a great fit for the role of the Bad Lieutenant, who curses like a dock worker (even in front of his young kids; pre-teens...?), takes drugs as soon as his kids leave the car to go to school and is more concerned about his gambling than catching a thug who does hos stealing right in front of him. The films theme seems to be faith, with Keitel's character's faith in his baseball team failing him bitterly and the nun's faith helping her to forgive the guys who attacked her. This is a Ferrara film, so the violence incl. the rape are quite in your face, which helps to give the film its tone.

This is not a popcorn film, but a great watch when you are in the mood for something with a doomed main character (some may call this a spoiler, but I found this to be inevitable right from the start).

I specifically added Victor Argo to the above cast list because he is just great anytime I see him. But besides him, this film is riddled with great faces which give the piece a nice authenticity.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Original Title: Quel maledetto treno blindato
Title: Inglorious Bastards
Year: 1978
Director: Enzo G. Castellari
Rating: NR
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Bo Svenson
Peter Hooten
Fred Williamson
Michael Pergolani
Jackie Basehart

Plot:
INGLORIOUS BASTARDS is more than just the inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's new movie. This 1978 international smash remains perhaps the biggest and most badass war movie in EuroCult history! Exploitation legends Bo (WALKING TALL, KILL BILL) Svenson and Fred 'The Hammer’ Williamson star as the leaders of a gang of condemned criminals who escape from an Allied prison convoy with a plan to blast their way to the Swiss border, only to find themselves volunteering for a suicide mission deep inside Nazi occupied France. Academy Award® nominee Ian Bannen (FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, BRAVEHEART) co-stars in this explosive action epic from director Enzo Castellari (EAGLES OVER LONDON), now fully restored in High Defination Blu-Ray for the first time ever in America!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews

My Thoughts:
This movie surprised me quite a bit. I expected a mindless 70s war film with heaps of action. What I got was, still heaps of action, but not quite that mindlessly presented! Top of the list is the fact that in this one everybody speaks their tongue; the Germans speak German, the French speak French (sure, it's a bit of a stretch that Bo Svenson's character's German is supposed to fool the Germans, but hey, at least they try!); and that without subtitles :thumbup:

I also enjoyed a lot the honesty with which the mistakes they made were presented, which would get them into trouble time and again. The crown jewels if this is the mistake that gets them into the suicide mission.

Another part I thought was different to other films was the (admittedly: small) attempt to through in some drama elements, such as the German soldier who is tired of the killing and wants to get out himself.

Unfortunately the reviews I had previously read turned out to be quite true. Severin did a great job with the visual elements of the films; considering it's source it looks surprisingly good. However, the audio really stinks and could have used some better authoring.

While it may have been original inspiration (Jimmy will find other words for this) for Tarantino (among other war films, I am sure), they merely share the title (minus one letter difference) and the premise for the plot.

Najemikon

Re: The Hunter ****
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
The Hunter
4 out of 5
I had always enjoyed this film when I saw it on TV in my youth (you see how long ago that was!). I would not have expected that you rate it 4 out of 5, so I actually may have to try to find the DVD for it now!

This is the one where he jumps with his car out of the Marina towers in Chicago, right?

Hmmm... not quite.  ;) Right film though! I just found it such an endearing character in an unusually told story. Like I said, some might think it's just lazy and it does feel a bit TV-ish at times, but overall I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it again.

Good review for Bastards. I fancy seeing it, but do you think it benefits from Blu-Ray?

Najemikon

Jason and The Argonauts ****
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »
Jason and The Argonauts
4 out of 5

Fantastic special effects by Ray Harryhausen and exciting mythological adventure make this a film that is fun for everyone. It's the story of Jason (Todd Armstrong), a fearless sailor and explorer, who returns to the kingdom of Thessaly after a 20-year voyage to make his rightful claim to the throne. But to do so, Jason must first find the magical Golden Fleece. He selects a crew and with the help of Hera, Queen of the Gods, sets sail in search of the Fleece. Jason and his crew must overcome incredible obstacles including a 100-foot bronze giant, the venomous Hydra - a huge creature with the heads of seven snakes - and a spectacular battle with an army of skeletons.

Marvellous old fashioned big dumb fun! No-one ever mentions films like Jason and The Argonauts when considering influences on such things like Star Wars or the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but it seems obvious to me. A big operatic story, told with determination and passion, even when the dialogue and pacing really aren't up to scratch, and it charges through classical Greek myth with the subtlety of an out-of-control bus. It's like someone read the script, panicked, and just went for it! It doesn't even finish properly, feeling like part one of a trilogy and is basically just a collection of set-pieces. But oh what set-pieces. The stop-motion work is brilliantly effective and still the best argument against CGI. Photo-real and motion captured actors just don't convince in the same way because they detract from the story when they don't quite work. Here, you can see the joins, but no-one cared and you get drawn into a world of fantasy creatures without any struggle at all.

It's a wonderful story and I feel sorry for kids who are growing up not having things like this. It was dated even when I was a kid, but my memories of those clack-clack skeletons have stayed with me forever. Therefore this is required viewing for all six year olds, even today! All of Harryhausen's creations were superb, but those and Talos stand out as the most convincing. Add terrifying once you throw the Harpies in there.

snowcat

Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter threa
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 10:00:03 PM »
interesting! Jason and the Arognauts is going to be my J too XD

Im looking forward to watching it but first I must watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang all the way through XD

Rogmeister

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »
I always loved Jason and the Argonauts but it won't be my J as I am trying to stick mostly with films I haven't seen yet...and I don't have that on DVD anyway.  I do have other "J" choices including the westerns Jubal, Jesse James and The Jack Bull.  I need to get back to work...I got off to a decent start but have now slowed down a bit.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2009, 12:35:46 AM »
Never seen it.  :bag:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
It's been years since I saw it.

I heard a remake is in the works.  Pete, you can just wait for that.     :laugh: 

Sorry..couldn't resist.  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2009, 02:59:09 AM »
:giljotiini:

Why? To watch some crappy CGI effect :thumbdown:

:badidea:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter ****
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »
Good review for Bastards. I fancy seeing it, but do you think it benefits from Blu-Ray?
To be honest, I think DVD should suffice for this one. The video should almost be on par and the audio can only get better, really.

Unless the price is almost the same I think you should be fine with the DVD. The US had a 3-disc release with the soundtrack CD as added feature (which is more expensive than the Blu-ray!). In the UK you can get a single-disc version for £3 or for £4 (couldn't quite make out the difference between the two versions). Region B Blu-ray seems unavailable, but I think the A release is region free.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2009, 05:37:34 AM »
:giljotiini:

Why? To watch some crappy CGI effect :thumbdown:

:badidea:

I was just trying to joke a little about how Pete sees the remakes before originals.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »
:phew:

You had succeed to frighten me more than any film I've watch in october :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »
:phew:

You had succeed to frighten me more than any film I've watch in october :laugh:

Oops..Sorry about that.  :laugh:

snowcat

Re: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter threa
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
...to make possibly make it worse, or better depending on if you liked his other scripts, its being written by Zak Penn

his credits include
Inspector Gadget
X2
X-men the Last Stand
Elkektra

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
...and I had thought I wouldn't have to "cheat". :slaphead:

Just realized that I watched Bad Lieutenant when I had actually planned to put tomorrow cinema visit into the B spot. :weep: Well, they are gonna have a special screening of one of my favorite films in Taipei: Terry Gilliam's Brazil :yahoo: I have seen it in the cinema before and multiple times on VHS or DVD as well. Still, wanted to give my friend the chance to see it the way it's supposed to be seen! Well, guess I am gonna give it the Z-spot. :shrug:

Where is Brazil on Blu-ray? :hmmmm: Criterion...? Universal...? Come on!