Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon  (Read 48714 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2009, 03:31:02 AM »
I love Wonder Woman.  I did think it was weird in the Justice League movie that she could fly without her plane.  The animated Wonder Woman movie is wonderful..the voice casting was perfect. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »

Title: Norma Rae
Year: 1979
Director: Martin Ritt
Rating: PG
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Sally Field
Beau Bridges
Ron Leibman
Pat Hingle
Barbara Baxley

Plot:
In an Oscar®-winning performance, SALLY FIELD is unforgettable as Norma Rae, the Southern millworker who revolutionizes a small town and discovers a power in herself she never knew she had. Under the guidance of New York unionizer (RON LEIBMAN) and with increasing courage and determination, Norma Rae organizes her fellow factory workers to fight for better conditions and wages. Based on a true story, Norma Rae is the mesmerizing tale of a modern day heroine. BEAU BRIDGES co-stars.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I got off our good friend Eric. It is one I never seen before. Sally Field won three Best Actress Awards for her role in this movie (Academy Awards, Cannes & Golden Globe). This really isn't my normal type of movie... and I knew that going into it. But it is a type of movie I like to watch every once in a while. It is a good movie... better then average. But it is a little on the slow side in parts to me. But I am glad I have it in my collection. And I can see myself watching it again at some time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »

Title: The Princess Diaries: Special Edition: 2-Disc Collector's Set
Year: 2001
Director: Garry Marshall
Rating: G
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Julie Andrews
Anne Hathaway
Hector Elizondo
Heather Matarazzo
Mandy Moore

Plot:
Disney's hilarious smash hit gets the royal treatment in this extraordinary special edition — only on DVD. Starring Academy Award® winner* Julie Andrews, the enchanting Anne Hathaway and Hector Elizondo (Pretty Woman), The Princess Diaries is a cool, comical Cinderella story that will touch your heart. For teenager Mia Thermopolis (Hathaway), just surviving each school day is an adventure. Then the shocking news arrives that she's a real-life princess! So begins a comical transformation towards poise and princess-ness, including a media storm, jealous schoolmates and a plot to take over her country.

*Best Actress, 1964, Mary Poppins.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX
Princess Diaries 2 Sneak Peek

My Thoughts:
I got this movie free when I joined Disney Movie Club. And I haven't watched it since I first got it about 4 or 5 years ago. Decided to watch this one today when I wanted to find one I could watch with Brittany. Ironically while not the best movie I ever seen... I did enjoy this movie. Unlike Brittany... she just couldn't get into it. But I found while this is a movie probably geared more towards teen girls (or at least that is what I thought)... it has some good funny moments for the entire family. I think both Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews did a wonderful job. I also liked Hector Elizondo in his role as well. And what is it about the gym teacher? I swear she looks familiar... but damn if I can place her. And the credits/imdb were of no help to me either. As she really wasn't in that many things.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »
But I found while this is a movie probably geared more towards teen girls (or at least that is what I thought)... it has some good funny moments for the entire family.
Then I must be a teen girl, because I enjoy this movie  :laugh:

And what is it about the gym teacher? I swear she looks familiar... but damn if I can place her. And the credits/imdb were of no help to me either. As she really wasn't in that many things.
You are probably thinking Cordelia from Buffy and Angel. At least I always am reminded of Charisma Carpenter when I see this movie. But it isn't her.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
But I found while this is a movie probably geared more towards teen girls (or at least that is what I thought)... it has some good funny moments for the entire family.
Then I must be a teen girl, because I enjoy this movie  :laugh:
:laugh: Well like I said... that is what I always thought till now anyway!  :P

And what is it about the gym teacher? I swear she looks familiar... but damn if I can place her. And the credits/imdb were of no help to me either. As she really wasn't in that many things.
You are probably thinking Cordelia from Buffy and Angel. At least I always am reminded of Charisma Carpenter when I see this movie. But it isn't her.

Thank You! That must be it... she does look quite a bit like Charisma Carpenter!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »

Title: The Tommyknockers
Year: 1993
Director: John Power
Rating: NR
Length: 180 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: French, Spanish

Stars:
Jimmy Smits
Marg Helgenberger
John Ashton
Allyce Beasley
Robert Carradine

Plot:
Stephen King, the master of horror, brings a new nightmare to the screen. From somewhere deep in the woods, from a time centuries past, an unearthly evil has just been released and is coming to the small New England town of Haven. The old Indian woods hold many mysteries — stories of murder and strange disappearances that the townspeople of Haven have passed from generation to generation. But when Bobbi (Marg Helgenberger) stumbles across a strange object buried behind her house, these legends become frighteningly real. As Bobbi and Gardner (Jimmy Smits) become obsessed with the amazing powers this object has given off, they unwittingly release a long sleeping ancient evil that again comes alive with a horrific and deadly force: a force that threatens to control all of the townspeople, pushing them forward on a mission that could destroy all of Haven.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This morning I felt like watching one of Stephen King's miniseries... but also knew I had to finish off this alphabet Marathon this weekend as well... so I picked this one. It is a pretty good miniseries... but far from my favorite. It is a decent story... but I have come to expect more from a Stephen King story. Maybe this is one of the cases where they didn't do too good of a job going from the book to the screen? I wouldn't know since I never read the book. I did get a kick out of seeing Marg Helgenberger in this... now that I have gotten to know her from the series C.S.I.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

Title: Queen of the Damned
Year: 2002
Director: Michael Rymer
Rating: R
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Stuart Townsend
Marguerite Moreau
Aaliyah
Vincent Perez
Paul McGann

Plot:
It's her time. Her place. The wickedly regal Mother of All Vampires is ready again to rule! Aaliyah plays the title role in this stylish shocker based on Anne Rice's 'The Vampire Chronicles'. Stuart Townsend portrays Lestat, the undead antihero previously seen in the movie version of Anne Rice's 'Interview with the Vampire'. This time, Lestat finds acceptance in a tattooed and pierced world. He's a rock star. And his intoxicating Goth-riffed sound rekindles the desires of all-powerful Akasha.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
As much as I love vampire movies... this one is difficult for me to watch. This was originally a blind buy for me years ago... as it is a vampire movie I had to see it. And I haven't seen it since so I forgot how much I disliked this movie the first time around. The first problem for me was of all the music in this movie. But setting the music aside... it just isn't that great a story. There was some cool scenes with some decent effects. But that seems to be the most I can give this movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Maybe this is one of the cases where they didn't do too good of a job going from the book to the screen?
From what I remember it's a good adaptation of the book (I've not rewatched the serie since its original presentation on tv), but the original isn't really horror but science fiction. Maybe you were expecting horror since it's Stephen King.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:43:13 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
Possibly Jimmy!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »

Title: Young Frankenstein: Special Edition
Year: 1974
Director: Mel Brooks
Rating: PG
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Gene Wilder
Peter Boyle
Marty Feldman
Madeline Kahn
Cloris Leachman

Plot:
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchbacked Igor (MARTY FELDMAN) and the curvaceous Inga (TERI GARR), he creates a monster (PETER BOYLE) who only wants to be loved. CLORIS LEACHMAN, MADELINE KAHN, KENNETH MARS and GENE HACKMAN co-star in this inspired vision of lunacy.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Interviews
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I always found this to be a fun movie... it is just hilarious. So many parts I could talk about that stands out as a good laugh. I especially liked the part that Gene Hackman played the blind man and had the monster over lighting his finger on fire.  :laugh: Even as much fun as it is there were a couple slow parts for me... and while it was still kinda funny... I didn't care for the musical number. I know... you are shocked that I wouldn't like that part!  I did like the choice that they made when they decided on making this movie in black and white.. I thought it was a nice touch since they are paying homage to the classic horror.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »

Title: Zorro's Fighting Legion
Year: 1939
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 212 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Reed Hadley
Micheal DiMaggio
Craig Strong
Edmund Cobb
John Merton

Plot:
The continuing serial installments of Zorro's organization of a legion to fight against a band of outlaws stealing gold shipments from the Mexican government.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This 12 chapter movie serial is one of my favorites. I love all the swords play in this one. There is a couple things in this one so far that I don't particularly care for... but do understand them. The first being the whole legion wearing masks like Zorro and they have the Zorro "Z" on their capes. The second is how he acts when not Zorro... but of course he has to fool everyone.. but instead of acting lazy like most Zorror movies and such I have seen... he gives a real, shall we say effeminate vibe out. I also think I enjoy Zorro better when it is just him instead of the leader of a group. But over all... I really enjoyed this serial. I am glad I ended this marathon with a Zorro title. It was 3 and a half hours of time well spent.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete