Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 102977 times)

snowcat

Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
Reviews

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Anchorman
The Cable Guy
Talladega Nights
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:13:42 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

snowcat

Re: Snowcats reviews.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
Walk Hard - The Dewey Cox Story - 2007
Director - Jake Kasden
Running time   90 min / 120 min (extended DVD cut)
Stars: John C Reilly, Jenna Fischer

Biopic films are a great way of remembering a legend, and in mocking those biopic films a new legend has been born.
Walk Hard is the story of Dewey Cox (John C Reilly), a Johnny Cash-esque singer who after accidentally killing his brother has to prove his greatness by being doubly great for himself and his brother. After playing “the devils” music a 14-year-old Dewey leaves home with his 12-year-old girlfriend Edith. Only to get a house and a job, and shortly a record deal from a group of jewish men. shortly after becoming famous Dewey meets Darlene (Jenna Fischer) , in which can only be described as a blatant plot rip from Walk the Line, purposely of course. through out the film Dewey Cox has numerous children, wears two wedding rings, tries his hand at sexual carpentry, takes all manner of drugs and goes to rehab twice, all the makings of a perfect biopic.

Towards the end of the film Dewey realises he should be spending more time with his children and so decides to play catch with them all one by one, to get to know them better, he buys a large farm and the all live happily, Although incomplete until Darlene returns. fast forward a few years and a now 75-year-old Dewey listens to the rap remix of his song Walk Hard and is told he is in line for an special achievement evening,  but will he agree to doit?

There are a lot of cameos in this film Johan Hill plays Deweys older brothers ghost, Jack White as Elvis Presley, Frankie Muniz as Buddy Holly, Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Justin Long and Jason Schwatzman as the Beatles. as well as GhostFace Killah, Lyle Lovett, Jewel and Jackson Brown as themselves perform a Walk Hard tribute.

The film was written by comedy legend Judd Apatow, and Orange County director Jake Kasden, who also directed Walk hard. It should have been a sure fire hit, Unfortunately due to low box office sales the film is not seen for the comedic masterpiece it is.

The last thing im going to say in this review is I love Cox, why? Because its true, Walk Hard straight away jumped in to my top 25 films of all time with no competition. The story is great, John C Reilly is great and the soundtrack is my all time favourite movie soundtrack, which knocked the Lion King off of its 14 year reign. Id love to hear the other songs recorded for this movie, as I hear that there where a few that did not make it onto even the extended soundtrack. maybe one day there will be an extended, extended cut for that purpose.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:37:59 PM by snowcat »

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »
Hmm, that sounds more interesting than I thought. I think it was a hard sell for the marketing people! I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the review! ;D

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
Thanks :D its a film thats easier to find funny if you have seen Walk the Line and Ray, but most people ive shown it to have enjoyed it alot!

:p Im tanking through these Movies, and here is second review from the second Apatow film I have watched!

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
Anchorman -  The Legend of Ron Burgundy - 2004
Director - Adam Mckay
Running time - 94 minutes / 98 minutes (Unrated)
Stars: Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, David Koechner, Steve Carell

Anchormen are supposed to be serious, They have an image to up keep, a tough exterior, and must not be emotionally effected by the material they broadcast and they must always follow that tele prompter.

And following a tele prompter is something Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) has down to a tee, or so it seems. Anchorman is the story of Ron Burgundy an anchorman who's dream is to become the number one network anchor in all of America.

The opening introduces the all star channel 4 news team, there’s Champ Kind (David Koechner) The sport commentator known for his catch phrase “Whammy”, Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd) in the field reporter and owner of a vast array of different Cologne’s, Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) who with an IQ of just 84 could rival many a weathermen today and finally there is Ron Burgundy San Diego’s top news anchor and jazz flute playing extraordinaire.  All is perfect, Channel 4 news is the highest rated in San Diego, but news director Ed Harkin (Fred Willard) decides they need a bit more diversity on the team. Cue Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) an ambitious woman who shares Ron’s dream to be a top network anchor. Confused and “in love” the male members of the team try to come to terms with the dramatic change to there line up.  

We follow Ron's downfall through out the film as he dramticlly says the wrong thing, looses his best friend and gets his “guns” out. Leading up to the final climax of the film, with a story that could make Ron Americas next top network anchor, but will he be able to leave his “glass case of emotion” behind in time to read the news?

Jam packed with guest stars including several members of the Hollywood “Frat Pack” Jack Black, Luke Willson and Ben Stiller as well as Frat pack pledge Seth Rogen, Anchorman proves that any news story can be hilariously funny.

Just as people still quote Some like it Hot  and Monty Python Anchorman's huge bank of one liners is sure to have fans quoting for years to come, and with a huge cult following its no surprise that this film is so widely regarded.

Anchorman is Will Ferrell's defining role and will definitely be hard for Farrell to top, the line “I’m kinda a big deal” surely applies to him now and with talks of Anchorman 2 on the way its true that “60% of the time it works every time”
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:18:58 PM by snowcat »

Critter

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »
Just as people still quote Some like it Hot  and Monty Python Anchorman's huge bank of one liners is sure to have fans quoting for years to come, and with a huge cult following its no surprise that this film is so widely regarded.

This could not be more correct! My friends and I still quote Anchorman constantly. I think Anchorman and Mean Girls are the two most quoted films by our generation.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:21 AM »
Anyone who can name drop Some Like It Hot in an Anchorman review is right on my wave length!  :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »
The Cable Guy - 1996
Director - Ben Stiller
Running Time - 96 min
Stars: Jim Carrey, Matthew Broderick, Leslie Mann

Usually a story about stalking would be the stuff of horror films, think Halloween, Scary images of people running for there lives, screaming as they are finally caught by the villain. But that seems to be a world away from this comedic take on something that doesn’t feel like a laughing matter.

The Cable Guy, is the story of a TV obsessed “cable guy” Ernie “chip” Douglas (Jim Carey), who meets Steven Kovac (Matthew Broderick) after he arrives to install Steven’s cable. Steven who is recently separated from girlfriend Robin Harris (Leslie Mann) was given advice from friend Rick (Jack Black) to slip the cable guy $50 to get all the movie channels for free. After fixing Steven up with the channel’s Chip, takes Steven out to see the Satellite transmitter, that send television signals to the whole city, whilst discussing the role of television in their youths, Chip tells Steven how to win Robin back, by using advice he heard on Jerry Springer and telling him to invite her over to watch Sleepless in Seattle.

After becoming Chips new “best friend” Steven gets home to find 11 messages on his answer phone from Chip, fairly confused Steven receives a knock at the door, It is Robin who has arrived to watch the film. Strangely, Steven’s cable shuts down, and like clock work, he picks up the phone to hear a knock at the door, chip has arrived to save the day, or has he?

After a strange few days with Chip, Steven finally tells him to leave him alone, big mistake. Hell hath no fury like a cable guy scorned as we soon find out with the events that start unfurl, unfortunately for Steven, Robin and his family cannot see what Steven can’t see in Chip.
Of course this all comes to a climatic end upon the massive TV satellite transmitter, but will chip get his comeuppance? Or will the world go on thinking Steven is crazy?

Written by Judd Apatow, the Cable Guy is a strange directorial début for Ben Stiller, featuring a cameo of Ben Stillers friend Owen Wilson, the film is not stuck for big names, Jack Black, who was little known then is a star in his own right, and Jim Carey and Matthew Broderick, were both big names at the time of production, maybe purposefully they had a strange chemistry. the film has some great camera shots, especially during Chips party at Steven’s and during Steven’s dream. Overall, I have conflicting opinions, Whilst I think the film was creative and had a great story idea, I don’t think it reached its potential, maybe if it had it wouldn’t receive so much negative criticism in popular culture.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
I think Cable Guy did achieve what it set out to do, but is therefore inherently flawed. It's a brave film, because it's slightly disturbing and uncomfortable, but they need an audience to trust them and when the film is sold on good old goofy Jim Carrey, they end up feeling deceived. I get the feeling that Observe and Report tried something similar? I haven't seen it, but I know it crashed and burned, possibly for the same reason.

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
I think Cable Guy did achieve what it set out to do, but is therefore inherently flawed. It's a brave film, because it's slightly disturbing and uncomfortable, but they need an audience to trust them and when the film is sold on good old goofy Jim Carrey, they end up feeling deceived. I get the feeling that Observe and Report tried something similar? I haven't seen it, but I know it crashed and burned, possibly for the same reason.

Yes, unfortunately for Observe and Report it did try to hard to be different, and with the whole Paul Blart, Mall Cop thing it kinda forced them both into a category of "bad mall cop movies"

I think Ben Stiller tried to hard to cast well knowns, and that was also part of the films problem :/

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Director - Adam Mckay
Running Time - 108 min / 122 min (Unrated)
Stars - Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Normally I would avoid a film about NASCAR like the plague, Im not a fan of Cars, Days of Thunder or Herbie. But when I saw the trailer for Talladega Nights, the actors drew me in.

Yes unfortunately im a sucker for Will Ferrell films, even the terrible ones like Men Seeking Women and so it was for this reason I bought the movie, I did not know at the time John C. Reilly was in it (I don't know why) If had known this before hand I would have bought this film along time ago.

Talladega Nights is the story of Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell). Ricky Bobby works as a pitman for Dennit Racing, ever since  he was a child its been his dream to “go fast” and he gets this chance,after after a uninterested team mate leaves the track. Despite starting in last place and part way through the race Ricky wins, propelling him self in to the top of NASCAR. its throughout his time in the Dennit Racing team he meets his future wife Carley and arranges for his best friend Cal Norton (John C. Reilly) to get a place on the team.

Fast forward a few years Ricky is still at the top and whilst on a night out with Cal he is challenged by a gay french Formula One turned NASCAR driver Jean Girard. (Sacha Baron Cohen) Girard slowly reaches the top of the racing world, whilst Ricky nurses a broken arm, nevertheless Ricky rushes himself back to the race track, and after pushing himself too hard ends up flipping his car.

After waking up in hospital, with a case of psychosomatic paralysis, (no that doesn't mean he can start fires with his mind.) Cal and team member Lucius Washington (Michael Clarke Duncan) visit him to try to explain that his paralysis is in his head, after a rather disturbing point proving exercise Ricky realises he is fine and must return to the race track. Of course he is seen as unfit and consequently is dropped from the team.

After being fired Ricky goes home to find Cal has taken his place in the family home, an extremely hurt Ricky and his children move out to live Lucy, Ricky's mother. During this time Ricky sees his father after 25 years, gets in to a car with a cougar and is chased by the police. After escaping the police and discovering a bag of Lucky Charms taped to his car Ricky visits a bar, here he meets his former assistant Susan, who tells Ricky he should return to what he loves, but can he shake off his demons in time?

Talladega Nights has its funny parts, its the type of film that is brillaint if you understand the subject matter, but its still enjoyable to those who don't. The first time I watched Talladega Nights, I didn't find it very funny. I don't think I “got it” watching it for a second time I see the funny side, although its far from Adam McKay's best film, its still pretty funny, of course, the best part of this film is the chemistry between Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, which of course spawned the hilarious Step Brothers.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:39:12 PM by snowcat »

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »
...the hilarious Step Brothers.

I haven't seen that version.  :devil:

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »

Haha, really? I loved it, again, thats possible my thing about Will Ferrell and john c. Reilly films, or maybe its because I know men in there 30s exactly like those guys.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »

Haha, really? I loved it, again, thats possible my thing about Will Ferrell and john c. Reilly films, or maybe its because I know men in there 30s exactly like those guys.

I particularly had a problem with the younger brother (Step Brothers) and much as I like Ferrel, I thought it was lazy. I think it would have been better with unknown actors, and in fact, I enjoyed Hot Rod much more and there are vague similarities... :D

richierich

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »

I particularly had a problem with the younger brother (Step Brothers) and much as I like Ferrel, I thought it was lazy. I think it would have been better with unknown actors, and in fact, I enjoyed Hot Rod much more and there are vague similarities... :D

I've been watching this thread with interest, as I absolutely hate Will Ferrell. I thought only an American could like him, but Snowcat dispels that theory.
I am not sure if it was bewitched, boat trip, anchorman or elf, that developed my dislike, but I have never enjoyed any of his parts and very rarely any films he has been in.
Just proves we are all different.  ;D