Author Topic: Rich's October Horror Fest  (Read 68084 times)

richierich

Re: Rich's October Horror Fest
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 01:23:17 AM »

Title: Jeepers Creepers

Movie Count:6  
TV Ep. Count:5  

Runtime:97
Certificate:15
Year:2001
Genres:Horror

Plot:An uneventful road trip home turns into a journey straight from Hell for two unsuspecting college kids, Trish (Gina Philips) and Darry (Justin Long). A heartstopping high-speed pursuit down a deserted highway leads to a terrifying discovery: their pursuer has more in store for them than they ever imagined.
The record breaking number one hit in America, which critics called "The best Horror Movie of the last ten years", Jeepers Creepers unleashes a relentless pursuit, as the kids become prey to a disturbing figure from your worst nightmare, that will stop at nothing until its demonic hunger is satisfied.
Francis Ford Coppola (Sleepy Hollow, Apocalypse Now) presents the scariest movie of the year.

My Review:
Reasonable mix of horror and sci-fi, unintentionally funny in places, with a few creepy jumpy moments to satisfy the marathon.
It definately excels in the first half with genuine suspense and intrigue, but once the demon is exposed it trickles downhill into damnright silliness. The ending is groaningly awful and obvious, and majorly disappointing after such a good start.
Altogether worth watching, but I doubt if it would satisfy hardcore horror fans
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:10:50 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »

Title: Friends: The Complete Eighth Season

Movie Count:6  
TV Ep. Count:6  

Certificate:NR
Year:2001
Genres:Comedy, Television

Plot:
6. The One with the Halloween Party
Monica and Chandler decide to throw a costumed Halloween party. Phoebe runs into Ursula, who's getting married next week, and invites her and her fiancé to the party.
My Review:
Perky episode to raise a smile, with a cameo by Sean Penn, and most mouth wateringly noticably Monica in a skin tight catwoman outfit.
Ross as spudnik and Chandler in pink bunny costume arm wrestle to see who is tougher, whilst Phoebe spills the beans to her mirror sisters new fiance.
Did I mention Monica in skin tight catwoman outfit?
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:17:58 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

Title: The Cave

Movie Count:7 
TV Ep. Count:6 

Runtime:97
Certificate:PG-13
Year:2005
Genres:Horror, Action, Science-Fiction

Plot:Deep in the Romanian forest, a team of scientists stumbles upon the ruins of a 13th-century abbey. On further inspection, they make a startling discovery - the abbey is built over the entrance to a giant underground cave system. Local biologists believe the cave could be home to an undiscovered ecosystem, so they hire a group of American cave explorers to help them investigate its depths.
Jack (Cole Hauser) and his brother Tyler (Eddie Cibrian) are thrill-seeking professional cave explorers who run a team of the top divers in the world. The crack unit, which also includes Charlie (Piper Perabo) and Buchanan (Morris Chestnut), immediately begin their exploration. But what they find deep inside the caves is not just a new eco-system, but an entirely new species altogether.

My Review:
More action than horror, a fast paced underground flick that tried it's best to beat a low budget, weak casting and B movie handicap.
At times it is hard to follow the shaky camera work and dimly lit scenes, and I had to rewind on several occasions. But you certainly do get the claustraphobic feeling, and I think the cave is actually more frightening than the strange creatures which liberally inhabit the screen. The booming sound was awesome and dragged you into the tension filled tunnels, but the huge let down was the lack of gore and violence (can't believe I said that!), clearly to hit a PG rating they cut out loads.
Fairly mindless entertainment but generally forgettable as the credits roll.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:41:00 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:03 AM »

Title: NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service: The Fourth Season

Movie Count:7  
TV Ep. Count:7  

Year:2006
Genres:Television, Drama, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:
Episodes:
6. Witch Hunt
It's Halloween and the NCIS team is busy investigating a ransom case. A Marine's daughter has been kidnapped after the kidnapper attacked a Marine in his home. The investigation leads them to a fact that the couple has been separated. They decide to focus on the wife's ex-boyfriend, after learning that the woman is the one who destroyed their marriage. Meanwhile, McGee and Tony are stunned by Abby's Halloween costume.

My Review:
Probably my most favourite US series, I just love all the characters, the production and feel of the show, the humour and storylines.
This is a great episode, with Abby dressed up as Marilyn Monroe for Halloween (much to the excitement of Magee and Tony), and the team hunting a kidnapped daughter through a multitude of twists and turns. There are flashbacks of Gibbs daughter trick or treating, and an interview with a Klingon (fancy dress party) to make this episode perfect for this months marathon.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:50:00 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:51 AM »

Title: The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Movie Count:8 

Runtime:122
Genres:Horror, Drama

Plot:Oscar® nominees Laura Linney (2000, Best Actress, You Can Count on Me) and Tom Wilkinson (2001, Best Actor, In The Bedroom) delve into the supernatural in this thriller based on a true story that will test your resolve, and ultimately your faith.
Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter, White Chicks) was an average teenage girl who was the target of terrifying demonic forces that would ultimately shock a town and torment her soul. But was she, as many believed, possessed? In an attempt to clear the clergyman who exorcised Emily, a skeptical attorney (Linney) awakens to the discovery that powerful spiritual forces may actually exist. This harrowing film unfolds like a recurring nightmare from which there is no waking.

My Review:
This is the first film that has actually 'scared' me since the beginning of marathon, in fact I now feel a bit crapped out.
It's a strange mix of flashbacks to the possession and exorcism, and the courtroom drama as the priest was put on trial. The argument of faith vs doubt was interesting, and the excellent cast did a great job in providing atmosphere and reality.
The horror is not jump out of your skin style, it is the fact that this story is based on a true trial, and potentially and frighteningly the happenings to the girl (Jennifer Carpenter) may be real.
There are plotholes aplenty, but the direction and convincing acting make this well above average.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:05:12 AM by Rich »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 03:33:23 AM »
DVDP is sure friendly with you Rich :laugh:
Nothing really scary or disturbing in its selection at this date

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
[...] but the huge let down was the lack of gore and violence (can't believe I said that!) [...]
Had to read the sentence three times and then I found the text in brackets :laugh:

You own The Descent? Might be a proper scare in the grown-up version of  caving movie...

richierich

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:54 AM »
DVDP is sure friendly with you Rich :laugh:
Nothing really scary or disturbing in its selection at this date

I've been 'lucky' so far, although tonights unrated exorcism film based on true story might raise the neck hairs a bit more.  :fingerchew:

richierich

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
[...] but the huge let down was the lack of gore and violence (can't believe I said that!) [...]
Had to read the sentence three times and then I found the text in brackets :laugh:

You own The Descent? Might be a proper scare in the grown-up version of  caving movie...

Yes, own and seen The Descent, and loved it  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
I am now officially sh*%^$ng myself after watching Emily Rose
 :fingerchew: :'( :fingerchew:

richierich

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »

Title: Cry_Wolf

Movie Count:9  

Runtime:90
Genres:Horror

Plot:When the students at a prestigious prep school spread a hoax email about a serial killer, they start a game of terror and deception that has three rules: avoid suspicion, lie to your friends, and eliminate your enemies. But what starts as a joke soon turns deadly and now they find themselves victims of their own game!

My Review:
Weak slasher whodunnit, very mild horror, and nothing to make you jump or look away.
It started well with a nice plotline and pace, but the ending was a bit too obvious and spoilt the movie.
Lindy Booth was  :drooling: in her tartan mini-skirt and thigh high stockinged school uniform, and the rest of the young cast are admirable.
Not enough twist, turns or jumps to satisfy even a horror novice like myself.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:55:29 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 03:17:13 AM »
I am now officially sh*%^$ng myself after watching Emily Rose
 :fingerchew: :'( :fingerchew:

I enjoyed Emily Rose... I never thought of it as scary though. Not that I am saying it isn't... that is something that has always been hard for me to judge since movies never scared me.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »
I like Emily Rose too.  I wasn't really scared by the movie, but it did freak me out a bit in certain scenes.

Boomstick98

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
I like Emily Rose too.  I wasn't really scared by the movie, but it did freak me out a bit in certain scenes.

I thought Emily Rose was a good watch as well. I think I may know one of the scenes your referring to.
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 10:26:29 PM »

I thought Emily Rose was a good watch as well. I think I may know one of the scenes your referring to.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)