Author Topic: Jimmy's 2009 Horror Marathon  (Read 71488 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy's 2009 Horror Marathon
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 04:11:29 AM »

Title : Kottentail (2005)

Overview
When two animal rights activists set free a lab rabbit, they unknowingly release a bloodthirsty beast which is hungry for human flesh.

My Impression
I was asking myself how they could have made an horror movie with rabbits as monsters, since Night of the Lupus the only other one I've seen was certainly ridiculous... It didn't took me long to understand that this movie would be the first real comedy in this marathon. The openning credit is made like a comic book and they use this technic often in the movie for the transition. But the real giver was the first glimpse of the rabit in the laboratory :hysterical:

So this is our bloodthirsty rabbit, don't worry it will attack only one person who will get infected and as a result turning into :fingerchew:

After some story development, I will not reveal them of course, a team is formed to fight Kottentail (the guys infected is name Hans Kottentail) and what a team :thumbup:

Of course the acting delivery is bad (but I think it's voluntary), the effect is poor, the story stupid and the dialog silly. But I've laugh almost non stop, not because the movie is bad but because it's a real good comedy (silly but there is nothing bad with that)

Rating :
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:30:57 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »

Title : A Vampire's Tale (2004)

Overview
A modern day vampire struggles to find out who he is.

My Impression
First comment does someone is in charge of the quality control at Mills Creek? I hope not, since their overview for this film had nothing to do with it. The real story is : A man had seen his girlfriend killed by a vampire, since than he wants to avenge her by killing the vampire responsible. For this he will recruit a woman recently attack by the same vampire.

Now that this is corrected here we go with the review... Not really original, short in action and the acting is ok without being great. One big problem, at least for me, is the quality of the color in the film itself. The color are all wash out and bland, maybe this is a director choice (more probably the quality of the film stock used was low) but this is boring to watch.

Really nothing special here

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:05:30 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
I can honestly say I've never even heard of any of the movies you've watched so far. 
And Kottentail?  Well...that looks downright bizarre.  yes I looked at the spoiler stuff..I couldn't resist.   :hysterical: :hysterical: is my only response.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
Title : Trapped (1982)
Is that film really as action packed as the trailer makes us believe?

I can honestly say I've never even heard of any of the movies you've watched so far.  
Most of us haven't. ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:40:18 AM by Achim »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
Is that film really as action packed as the trailer makes us believe?
Not really, but it isn't necessary a bad thing.

Most of us haven't. ;)
But I try :whistle:
Eaten Alive, Anthropophagus and It Waits are at least a little bit know...
But it's sure that I ain't the one who will review Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th or Jaws. I don't like to talk about the movies everybody knows and like I've already said the other are better than me for that.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
I wasn't complaining..hope it didn't come across that way.  I do enjoy reading about movies I haven't heard of...even ones I'm sure I won't see...like that rabbit movie. :)

Boomstick98

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
I'm liking this thread a lot, but then again I love obscure "B" movie horror.   :tv:  Keep up the good work.  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 02:08:27 AM »

Title : Tartarus (2005)

Overview
A horror/sci-fi film, Tartarus is about how man lives in two worlds - one that controls his physical being and one that commands his soul.

My Impression
The description isn't really perfect again, but almost... In fact John is stuck in a bizarre world (Tartarus) who looks like an alien abduction nightmare (what it isn't but I can't spoil it). While he go through some weird "medical" testing he succeed to escape for some time. The film despite is obvious lack of money (the CGI effects are really low quality, the score is annoying and the sets are really cheap looking) pass the test. The subject is original, Juan Fernandez can really act frighten and you are surprised when you finally understand what is really this place.

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:54:28 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 02:12:14 AM »
I wasn't complaining..hope it didn't come across that way.
Not at all :laugh:

I do enjoy reading about movies I haven't heard of...even ones I'm sure I won't see...like that rabbit movie. :)
Curious since I'm sure that this is one that you would like :whistle:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »

Title : Nutcracker : An American Nightmare (2003)

Overview
A prominent psychologist uses advanced brainwave technology that allows him to see into the minds of his patients - but it backfires on him, and he sees his own repressed memory, killing his father, and placing the blame on his brother, who was confined to a mental institution.

My Impression
This one could have been so much better. The problem is that the story doesn't move very fast and you are bore many times since nothing really interesting happen. But David Hess seems to have a lot of fun with a role different than what he is usually typecast in.

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:25:49 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »

Title : The House by the Cemetery (1981)

Overview
A young family moves from their cramped New York City apartment to a spacious new home in New England. But this is no ordinary house in the country: the previous owner was the deranged Dr. Freudstein, whose monstrous human experiments have left a legacy of bloody mayhem. Now, someone -- or something -- is alive in the basement, and home sweet home is about to become a horrific hell on earth.

My Impression
Not one of the best Fulci's film. The film had a good start but the story take a turn in the nothing department for most of the running time, untill the end when finally we get some great Fulci's effect. It's evident that the ghost movie isn't one of my favorite horror genre, so for me 2/3 of this movie is boring. Sure the dubbing doesn't help at all, the boy's voice is so annoying (why take an adult to do a whining girly voice like that?). Not that the movie is that bad, but for a Fulci's movie this isn't really impressing.

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:11:57 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 02:14:53 AM »
Title : Shutter (2004)

Sorry my dvd doesn't work anymore :weep:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:43:03 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »

Title : Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat (2002)

Overview
From the godfather of gore, Herschell Gordon Lewis, comes the most eagerly awaited sequel in the blood red history of splatter cinema!  The cannibal caterer is back with a new recipe for gross-out, comedic carnage that literally blows chunks across the silver screen!  From the groundbreaking production team of H.G. Lewis and David Friedman, the maniacal masterminds responsible for BLOOD FEAST, 2000 MANIACS and COLOR ME BLOOD RED, BLOOD FEAST 2 is a gorehound's wet dream!

My Impression
Of course this one isn't as good as the original Blood Feast who was the first gore movie ever made, but it isn't too bad. They had decided with this one to do a black comedy and some of this comedy works well by exemple the running gag with the detective who always eat or the dead father who is always dressed differently everytime we see him. Of course the acting isn't really good (I'm not certain if this is voluntary or not), but... The killing effect are particulary good (a little disgusting at time, don't eat while watching ;)) and the score by Southern Culture on the Skids is interesting. Even if he just had a little cameo, I've appreciated John Waters (director of Pink Flamingos, Polyester and many others films) in the role of a priest on the prowl for some alter boy ;)

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:28:13 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

Title : Divine Intervention (2007)

Overview
Steve Reynolds, strung out on drugs, experiences a divine vision and becomes inspired to embark on a ruthless quest of recruiting people into the Lord's Army. A sinner in his midst gets two options - prayer or the crossbow. Fighting off his own compulsive demons as well as a checkered past, Steve brings the word of the Lord down on the sinners of Ware, MA one arrow at a time. Will Steve save any souls with his own brand of vigilante divinity? Only God knows.

My Impression
This is one of those movie were I root for the bad guy (even if he is a nutcase). Why? Because his target is a bunch of stupid teenagers from the internet generation (sorry for our younger members) and I've learned to hate them at my previous night job. I despise their language, their stupidity and the lack of respect they have for their elder... So I was sure happy to see a bunch of idiot drunk and stoner killed by a crazy religious guy, too bad that he didn't kill them all.

For the film itself the acting isn't that great, the effect aren't too bad for this kind of movie (look normal and not over the top) and we got some nice looking girls for some gratuitious nudity. One of the girl who can act is the everyday kind of girl who is usually my type (some picture attached).

A nice way to pass 80 minutes

Rating :

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:22:41 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
The marathon goes really well for me this year, just one week and I've already watched half of my last year record (and without the grippe that I've catch monday the total would have been better :voodoo:). I don't think it's a big risk to say that I will beat it very soon...

Sure it's easier when your record isn't 100 movies :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:10:44 AM by Jimmy »