Author Topic: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!  (Read 25324 times)

RossRoy

Re: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »
What kind of marathon will we have in January? Anything set yet?

No wonder you're asking already. At the pace you are watching your Xmas marathon, you could probably pull a double, easily!  :tease: :laugh:

But yeah, I'm curious too, what is planned for January?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2007, 10:05:42 PM »
No wonder you're asking already. At the pace you are watching your Xmas marathon, you could probably pull a double, easily!  :tease: :laugh:
:hysterical:
The real reason I am asking: I have problems fitting in the movies I'd like to watch and it would be helpful to know, which movies can fit into next month's marathon. E.g. I had the urge today to start watching the Back to the Future trilogy. I can fit the first two into this month's marathon. I do not have any idea how to fit in the last one  :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Whats the film you have in your collection called Father Christmas? No actors or scans to give me a clue  :weep:

Looks like I have a contribution to make  :laugh:

IMDB Link  It's an 25 minute animated story by Raymond Briggs, who also did "The Snowman" (which I liked). Bought them both last year for a couple of bucks at Best Buy. I do like the style of animation on them.  :thumbup:

Not sure I'll even watch it. One of those things we have on hand for when we get little visitors (nieces and/or nephews). It's a 25 minute cartoon about Santa taking a vacation so I don't see myself going out of my way to watch it.  :laugh:

Funniest thing is - I own the same film  :bag:

It is on a compilation I have with the snowman, and pretty good if I remember rightly

richierich

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »

What I was thinking of was a 'THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE' January Marathon

This would be a marathon viewing titles either true, or based on, true stories or events. It is amazing how many in your collections will qualify.
To include documentaries to diversify the watching pattern available.

3 targets for participants;

Half marathon - 13 titles (13 miles)
Full marathon - 26 titles (26 miles)
Iron man  - 42 titles (42 kms)  :training:

Thoughts??

lyonsden5

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
so movies like "Goodfellas" are in  :thumbup:

Not sure how many I have but I know I could come up with at least the half marathon.  :dance:

richierich

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2007, 10:57:47 PM »

What I was thinking of was a 'THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE' January Marathon

This would be a marathon viewing titles either true, or based on, true stories or events. It is amazing how many in your collections will qualify.
To include documentaries to diversify the watching pattern available.

3 targets for participants;

Half marathon - 13 titles (13 miles)
Full marathon - 26 titles (26 miles)
Iron man  - 42 titles (42 kms)  :training:

Thoughts??

For February I had the idea of a LINKED MARATHON

That would be where the next title you watched in the marathon, had to begin with the last letter of the previous title watched.
ie Back To The Future, followed by Eragon, followed by Night of the Living Dead etc etc

This would make it a pretty flexible marathon for viewing content.

Would everyone prefer this for January?

richierich

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »

But yeah, I'm curious too, what is planned for January?

I know, the titles are coming thick and fast, but of course some of the Xmas specials are only 40 minutes long so I feel like I'm cheating a bit with the telly ones  :whistle:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2007, 11:00:42 PM »
It is amazing how many in your collections will qualify.
I doubt that I have that many in my collection. Is there a list somewhere, which movies could qualify?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2007, 11:04:09 PM »
For February I had the idea of a LINKED MARATHON

That would be where the next title you watched in the marathon, had to begin with the last letter of the previous title watched.
ie Back To The Future, followed by Eragon, followed by Night of the Living Dead etc etc

This would make it a pretty flexible marathon for viewing content.

I had thought about a marathon like that also a while ago, but I was not sure, if it will work. A lot of movies end with the same letters.
I also tried to think of a marathon, where we would link the star of the movie with another. But who would qualify as the star?

richierich

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »
It is amazing how many in your collections will qualify.
I doubt that I have that many in my collection. Is there a list somewhere, which movies could qualify?

Starting point could be an overview search with DVDP for the words 'true' 'based' 'fact' etc

Of course there is also IMDB keywords;

Keywords (Partial Matches) (Displaying 7 Results) 1. true-crime (1122 titles - Bowling for Columbine (2002), ...)
 2. true-love (868 titles - Shrek (2001), ...)
 3. true-life-adventure (678 titles - Into the Wild (2007), ...)
 4. true-story (649 titles - Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005), ...)
 5. dream-comes-true (186 titles - "Fantasy Island" (1978), ...)
 6. based-on-supposedly-true-story (171 titles - Fargo (1996), ...)
 7. true-confessions-magazine (9 titles - The Affairs of Martha (1942), ...)

Najemikon

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2007, 12:11:14 AM »
Ok, Richie, seriously. Find your medicine. You need it. If you've ran out, go to the chemist and show them your "I'M A NUT. PLEASE DON'T RUN." card. They'll help.

:tease:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2007, 12:14:09 AM »
Ok, Richie, seriously. Find your medicine. You need it. If you've ran out, go to the chemist and show them your "I'M A NUT. PLEASE DON'T RUN." card. They'll help.

:tease:

Jon know of what he speaks...he'll show you his card if you ask nicely! :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2007, 05:54:10 AM »
Also watched Elf. This is a must for anyone who likes Christmas movies. Will Ferrell is incredible at playing Buddy. His childlike innocence is fantastic. Even if you don't like Will Ferrell movies this check this one out. Good story, good cast. You might even jerk a tear at the end (I always do  :-[ )

I never thought much of Will Ferrell (and I didn't like Elf), but I changed my mind after watching Winter Passing, an indie drama, where he also co-stars with Zooey Deschanel. But be warned, that's no Christmas movie, it starts out pretty depressing, although it moves to a somewhat "happier" end. Also: dead kitten alert.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »
I had thought about a marathon like that also a while ago, but I was not sure, if it will work. A lot of movies end with the same letters.
I also tried to think of a marathon, where we would link the star of the movie with another. But who would qualify as the star?
I had also thought of the letter linking thingy, but also wasn't sure if that wouldn't make us a very limited range of titles in our collection.

The "star linking" crossed my mind as well.  But, why define what/who a star is? If they link in DVD profiler would be good enough for me. Bonus points for those who can finish with the same person they started with. :)

As I am not available (for the Marathon) in January I'd like to have one of the above two elected for February ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2007, 09:40:01 AM »

Bonus points for those who can finish with the same person they started with. :)

Monogamy?  ;)