Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467482 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:52 AM »
Jon, these are exactly the ones that I would recommend. The others only for completeness sakes.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 04:35:29 AM »
The first ST movie is simply annoying and I'd say fans only, but Wrath of Khan is superb. Anyone who likes sci-fi would enjoy that. Of the others, I really enjoyed part 4!
You can save this one since you won't see that often from me ;)

I agree with Jon 100% on this ;D
more, if the original serie weren't that expensive I would buy it too since it was one of my favorite TV show when I was younger.  

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 05:19:16 AM »
I never considered myself a fan of Star Trek and I loved the new movie.  My step dad is a Star Trek fan..I eventually got him all the original movies on DVD - a few of them twice by accident  :hysterical:  Anyway, he liked the original movies and shows.  Star Trek IV is his favorite movie.  He really liked the new one too.

RossRoy

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:16 AM »
I used to be a casual fan of Star Trek, watching an episode here and there when it happened to be on TV while I was having breakfast.

Then I started collecting DVD, and started buying The Next Generation as they came out. I was hooked. I watched them all. I love them all, from The Original Series to Enterprise, and I can find something to like in each movie. Well, the first one is almost unbearable, and yeah Part V is, well.. anyways.

Just finished watching the new one :  :ok:

I have to say good job to JJ. That's a proper reboot! Acknowledge the original material, even integrating the new direction in Star Trek lore.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »
I can recommend all singel-digit even-numbered Star Trek movies, read: 2, 4, 6 & 8. And the new one.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »
No love for the original Star Trek: The Motion Picture? I never seen it mind you... but that is a little surprising to me for some reason.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
The problem with ST:TMP is that it's very long and it doesn't happen that much. It's not that bad a movie, it has flying sequences where you can study every detail of the ship, but it wouldn't be a movie I'd advise to a first-time watcher.

The movie is more philosophical and more in style of 2001
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:28:23 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
but it wouldn't be a movie I'd advise to a first-time watcher

I agree. As a matter of fact, after we have watched the new Star Trek movie in the cinema, a friend, who hasn't seen the old ones, did want to see them. I started giving him the first two, but I have said to him to watch the second one first, otherwise I fear it will turn him off watching further. The second one works great as an introduction. The first one is more for the fans of the original series, who finally had the chance (after ten years) to see their characters in something new again.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
If I have a choice, I always prefer to watch or read things in the order they are written.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
If I have a choice, I always prefer to watch or read things in the order they are written.

I do, too. But "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" just isn't a movie to get you hooked on Star Trek.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »

I do, too. But "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" just isn't a movie to get you hooked on Star Trek.

You won't even miss some information if you don't watch it, because nothing happens in ST1 that would leave you with a knowledge gap if you jump from the old series directly to ST2.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »

You won't even miss some information if you don't watch it, because nothing happens in ST1 that would leave you with a knowledge gap if you jump from the old series directly to ST2.

If anything, Khan is the perfect extension of the series, being a full blooded movie while featuring a villain from an earlier episode. But again, you didn't have to see that episode...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »

Title: The Haunting of Lisa
Year: 1995
Director: Don McBrearty
Rating: NR
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Cheryl Ladd
Duncan Regehr
Aemilia Robinson
Don Allison
Kate Lynch

Plot:
When a little girl is murdered in a city park, the Haven Lake police find that the key to solving this gruesome crime may be the vision experienced by nine-year-old Lisa Downey. Lisa is blessed, and some say cursed, with inexplicable visits by supernatural figures who forewarn her of coming dangers.

After being drawn to and old shed in the park, Lisa's mother, Ellen (Cheryl Ladd), learns that this shed was the setting for a horrific crime 30 years ago, where a young girl disappeared, and her step-father & mother were murdered. The surviving family member, an 11 year-old named Buddy, was plzced in a foster home far from Haven Lakel.

But Lisa's subsequent visions reveal that Buddy has returned with a false identity, an he is bent on killing just as he was 30 years ago.

With clues of Buddy's identity pointing to everyone from her mother's fiance to the Chief of Police, Lisa discovers that the killer is someone she knows and trusts, but who wants her dead because of what she can reveal.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Biographies/Filmographies

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I bought blind earlier this month when I found it for sale really cheap ($3.81). I didn't know anything about the movie before buying it. But a little research online showed me this is a TV movie from the mid '90s. But that is ok... I do enjoy TV movies at times. And I did enjoy this one... but not quite as much as I have most the TV movies in my collection. I just found this one a little slow at times.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
I thought I would use this thread to bring over some reviews I did before I joined this site. I used to have a forum of my own that never had very many posters and the ones it did have dwindled down to just Roger and I by the time we both ended up here. So I thought I will bring the reviews over here that way they don't get lost if/when that old site gets deleted.

There may also be some TV Series reviews I can bring over as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

Title: Stephen King's Riding the Bullet
Year: 2004
Director: Mick Garris
Rating: R
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Jonathan Jackson as Alan Parker
David Arquette as George Staub
Cliff Robertson as Farmer
Barbara Hershey as Jean Parker
Erika Christensen as Jessica Hadley

Plot:
Alan embarks on a 100-mile hitchhike to see his mother in the hospital. Along the way he must confront his many demons – both living and dead – and in the end make the ultimate choice that will mean life or death for him and his mother!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:
As most of you know I am a big Stephen King fan.... and I did enjoy this movie... but it will not be one of my favorites of his movies. There was very little... if any scares in this movie. Some of the time you couldn't be sure if you were watching something he was imagining in his head... or if it was really happening. That said... I did like the concept of the movie and the actors in it did a wonderful job. I just think it could have been done a bit better on the whole. I am glad I watched it... and I am glad I have it in my collection... but this one is not one of the movies that will get watched often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Aug. 11, 2005
Pete