Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467463 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #510 on: August 17, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »
     The Matrix (1999/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:The Wachowski Brothers
Writing:The Wachowski Brothers (Writer)
Length:136 min.
Rating:14A
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Keanu Reeves as Neo
Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus
Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity
Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith
Gloria Foster as Oracle
Joe Pantoliano as Cypher

Plot:
Perception: Our day-in, day-out world is real.

Reality: That world is a hoax, an elaborate deception spun by all-powerful machines of artificial intelligence that control us. Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishbourne lead the fight to free humankind in the see-and-see-again cyberthriller written and directed by the Wachowski brothers – and the winner of four Academy Awards.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned
  • Bonus View (PiP)

My Thoughts:
This is another one out of Brittany's collection. It is one I have seen before... but it has been many years since I last saw it. Brittany never seen it before though. This is one I always enjoyed. Lots of fun action... and an interesting storyline. Unfortunately Brittany didn't find it as enjoyable. She liked the action and some of the other scenes... but for the most part she found it to be on the slow side. Anyway... this is one I definitely recommend. The odd thing is I enjoy this film... but never watched any of the sequels... even though they are in my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
While Brittany said she enjoyed it... seems not as much as I did... as she ended up giving the disc to me after we watched it. Thanks Britt :)

She ended up doing the same thing with The Matrix. Thanks again Britt! :)

At least my Blu-ray collection is growing! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 17, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
     E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Anniversary Edition (1982/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Steven Spielberg
Writing:Melissa Mathison (Writer)
Length:115 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Language and Mild Thematic Elements
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Dee Wallace as Mary
Henry Thomas as Elliott
Peter Coyote as Keys
Robert MacNaughton as Michael
Drew Barrymore as Gertie
K. C. Martel as Greg

Plot:
Relive the adventure and magic in one of the most beloved motion pictures of all-time, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, from Academy Award®-winning* director Steven Spielberg. Captivating audiences of all ages, this timeless story follows the unforgettable journey of a lost alien and the 10-year-old boy he befriends. Join Elliott (Henry Thomas), Gertie (Drew Barrymore) and Michael (Robert MacNaughton) as they come together to help E.T. find his way back home. Now digitally remastered with enhanced picture and sound for its 30th Anniversary, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is "one of the great American films" (Leonard Maltin) that forever belongs in the hearts and minds of audiences everywhere.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • pocket BLU

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one with Brittany today.  It is a little bitter-sweet for me though. As this was one of Dawn's (my late wife) favorite films and we watched it together countless times. So in one way it brought my thoughts to Dawn which for the most part is happy memories now... but I still get a little sad that she is no longer with us. Especially right now with Britt getting ready to leave for college. But another thought that comes to me... I am thrilled I got to share this film with my daughter as well. I always enjoyed this movie as well and it looked great on Blu-ray. I think the film held up rather well over the years. I can say I definitely enjoyed revisiting this film. A true classic.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 19, 2013, 06:08:19 AM »
The odd thing is I enjoy this film... but never watched any of the sequels... even though they are in my collection.
The sequels get progressively worse, so you shouldn't be in a rush to catch up. I own them as well, but I doubt they'll get much milage here...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #514 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
I tried to watch the second Matrix...fell asleep even though I wasn't tired.  I woke up in time to see the end...that irked me enough that I didn't even bother with the last one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 23, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:David Yates
Writing:Steve Kloves (Screenwriter), J. K. Rowling [J.K. Rowling] (Original Material By)
Length:146 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Sequences of Intense Action Violence, Frightening Images and Brief Sensuality
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour
Emma Watson as Hermione Granger
Richard Griffiths as Vernon Dursley
Harry Melling as Dudley Dursley
Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
Julie Walters as Molly Weasley

Plot:
Harry, Ron and Hermione set out to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's power – the Horcruxes. On their own and on the run, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever...but Dark Forces threaten to tear them apart.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
Decided to watch this one today.... have plans of watching the last one when I take Britt to College... me, her and her roommate are supposed to watch it together one evening while there. I found this to be a good continuation of the series. While I may not have liked all they did in the film... it was enjoyable. Definitely good storytelling. I could have gone without the death in the end... I always liked that character. Anyway... a must see if you are a fan of the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 24, 2013, 01:56:10 AM »
     Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes (2010/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Jeff Siergey, Spike Brandt
Writing:Earl Kress (Writer), William Hanna (Original Characters By), Joseph Barbera (Original Characters By), Arthur Conan Doyle (Original Characters By)
Length:50 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Michael York as Sherlock Holmes
Malcolm McDowell as Professor Moriarty
John Rhys-Davies as Dr. Watson
Grey DeLisle as Red
Jeff Bergman as Butch & Droopy
Phil LaMarr as Spike & Policeman

Plot:
Jewel heists around the city of London befuddle Scotland Yard, and the beautiful singer Red is framed for the crook. Only the legendary Sherlock Holmes can find the real thief with the help of his assistant Dr. Watson – and of course, Tom and Jerry. But finding clues and cracking the case will be elementary compared to keeping the peace between these raucous rivals as they scamper, scurry, scoot and speed along the streets, alleys and rooftops in the name of justice. Familiar friends Tuffy, Butch, Droopy and many more cleverly round out the motley crew of characters and possible suspects in this brilliant fusion of classic detection and energetic animation!

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
While a fairly new animated feature (2010)... this is a bit of a blast from the past for me. As I haven't seen a Tom and Jerry cartoon since I was a kid! This is a pretty fun one. It is entertaining enough to keep your attention through-out. And the Sherlock Holmes storyline was a nice touch... though I am a fan of the character anyway. I feel this is a nice little time waster. Worth checking out if you enjoy Tom and Jerry cartoons.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »

I just watched Here Comes the Boom with Kevin James and Henry Winkler. It is a pretty fun show. I enjoyed it quite a bit. In this one Kevin James plays a teacher who enters the UFC to save the schools music department and his friend's job (Henry Winkler). Then there is Salma Hayek playing the school nurse that Kevin James' character likes. I think this one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it. I watched this one on Starz On-Demand... now I hope to add it to my collection before too long.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 06, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »
     Mama (2013/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:Andy Muschietti
Writing:Andy Muschietti (Story By), Barbara Muschietti (Story By), Neil Cross (Screenwriter), Andy Muschietti (Screenwriter), Barbara Muschietti (Screenwriter)
Length:100 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence and Terror, Some Disturbing Images and Thematic Elements
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jessica Chastain as Annabel
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Lucas/Jeffrey
Megan Charpentier as Victoria
Isabelle Nelisse as Lilly
Daniel Kash as Dr Dreyfuss
Javier Botet as Mama

Plot:
Guillermo del Toro, the Academy Award®-nominated‡ writer of Pan's Labryinth, presents this supernatural thriller that tells the haunting tale of two little girls who disappear into the woods the day that their parents were killed. When the young sisters are found alive in a decrepit cabin, their uncle (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones) and his girlfriend (Oscar® nominee¥ Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty) take them in. As they try to introduce the children to a normal life, Annabel (Chastain) begins to wonder if the traumatized girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.

‡ 2006 Best Writing, Original Screen Play, Pan's Labyrinth
¥ 2011 Best Supporting Actress, The Help; 2012 Best Actress, Zero Dark Thirty

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Original Short

My Thoughts:
This is one that surprisingly i never even heard of before it was given to me. It is an interesting idea for a story... and I did enjoy it quite a bit. But there was some slow parts in there where I felt my attention fading. But I definitely think it is worth the time put in to watch it. I actually found I enjoyed the original short a little more then I did the full length film.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »
     Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:David Yates
Writing:Steve Kloves (Screenwriter), J. K. Rowling (Original Material By)
Length:130 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Sequences of Intense Action Violence and Frightening Images
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Ralph Fiennes as Lord Voldemort
Michael Gambon as Professor Albus Dumbledore
Alan Rickman as Professor Severus Snape
Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley
Emma Watson as Hermione Granger

Plot:
In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
Well, this is it. I have finally watched the last of the Harry Potter movies. And I am really glad I did... as I enjoyed every moment of it. This was a very good conclusion to the franchise. Easily kept my interest through-out. Though I was told there was rumors for an eighth book... I see this as possible, but definitely not needed! After watching this one I think it is better off as being done and over with. Anyway this one is well worth the time put in to watch it.. recommended!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 08, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:The First LanternChristopher Berkeley, KilowogLauren Montgomery, Mogo Doesn't SocializeJay Oliva, Abin SurChristopher Berkeley, Emerald KnightsLauren Montgomery, LairaJay Oliva
Writing:The First LanternMichael Green (Writer), Marc Guggenheim (Writer), KilowogPeter J. Tomasi (Original Material By), Chris Samnee (Original Material By), Peter J. Tomasi (Writer), Mogo Doesn't SocializeDave Gibbons (Writer), Abin SurGeoff Johns (Writer), Emerald KnightsAlan Burnett (Story By), Geoff Johns (Story By), Alan Burnett (Screenwriter), Todd Casey (Screenwriter), LairaRuben Diaz (Original Material By), Travis Charest (Original Material By), Eddie Berganza (Writer)
Length:84 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Sci-Fi Action Violence Throughout, and for Some Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan
Jason Isaacs as Sinestro
Elisabeth Moss as Arisia
Henry Rollins as Kilowog
Arnold Vosloo as Abin Sur
Tony Amendola as Kentor

Plot:
With stories by acclaimed writers including Geoff Johns, Alan Burnett and Dave Gibbons, this DC Universe Animated Original Movie explores the rich mythology of the Green Lantern universe through six interlocking chapters. While awaiting a battle with Krona, an ancient enemy of the Guardians of the Universe, Earth's Green Lantern Hal Jordan, Kilowog, Sinestro and other members of the Green Lantern Corps recount their greatest adventures to new recruit Arisia – everything from tales to the Corps' Blackest Night! The power-packed voice cast includes Nathan Fillion, Jason Isaacs, Elisabeth Moss, Henry Rollins and Arnold Vosloo.

Extras:
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I have been curious about this animated film since I first seen it listed at Amazon a  year or so ago. So needless to say I was excited when a friend of mine gave me the DVD out of her DVD/Blu-ray Combo pack. I have enjoyed the Green Lantern character every since I was a kid. I like how they did this film... making it an anthology. Though I personally would have liked to seen more Hal Jordan in the film. As the stories focused on the others in the Green Lantern Corp. Even with that I enjoyed this one quite a bit... matter of fact it put me in the mood for the live action movie. Worth the time put in to watch it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
     Rise of the Guardians (2012/United States)
DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment, DreamWorks Home Entertainment
Director:Peter Ramsey
Writing:David Lindsay-Abaire (Screenwriter), William Joyce (Original Material By)
Length:97 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Thematic Elements and Some Mildly Scary Action
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Chris Pine as Jack Frost
Alec Baldwin as North
Jude Law as Pitch
Isla Fisher as Tooth
Hugh Jackman as Bunny
Dakota Goyo as Jamie Bennett

Plot:
DreamWorks' newest animated adventure is a fun-filled and magical story about the legendary guardians – Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Sandman – together for the first time! When the evil Pitch threatens to take over the world, it's up to our beloved heroes to protect the hopes and dreams of children everywhere. Filled with non-stop action and laughs, it's a dazzling family film that's being hailed as "an instant classic. You will believe."²

2. Nancy Joy, Daybreak USA

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another film a friend gave me the DVD out of her Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack. It is one I never seen before today... but been curious about since the first time I saw the trailer for it. After watching it... I have to admit that I was expecting a little more from it. But over-all I enjoyed it. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it. Though it isn't one I see myself re-watching very often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
     Role Models: Unrated (2008/United States)
Director:David Wain
Writing:Timothy Dowling (Story By), William Blake Herron (Story By), Paul Rudd (Screenwriter), David Wain (Screenwriter), Ken Marino (Screenwriter), Timothy Dowling (Screenwriter)
Length:101 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Seann William Scott as Wheeler
Paul Rudd as Danny
Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Augie
Bobb'e J. Thompson as Ronnie
Elizabeth Banks as Beth
Jane Lynch as Sweeny

Plot:
Prepare yourself for the most irreverent and funny comedy that brings new meaning to juvenile delinquency!

As the world’s least-likely mentors, Danny (PAUL RUDD) & Wheeler (SEANN WILLIAM SCOTT) must put aside their selfish, sarcastic and party-driven ways to order to give two odd, foul-mouthed kids invaluable wisdom about life, love and heavy metal.

With a supporting cast of comic all-stars including Elizabeth Banks, Jane Lynch, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Bobb’e J. Thompson, ROLE MODELS is "a surprisingly clever comedy" (Claudia Pulg, USA Today}.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Theatrical Version

My Thoughts:
This one somehow got by me when it came out. I don't even remember seeing a trailer for it before getting the DVD. But I must say, after watching it (the unrated version), I found I enjoyed it very much. I do think it has a bit of a slow start... but it definitely picked up for me... and by around the half-way mark I was completely hooked. There is a few very good laugh out loud moments here. I recommend checking it out if you never seen it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »
     Friends with Benefits (2011/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Will Gluck
Writing:Keith Merryman (Screenwriter), David A. Newman (Screenwriter), Will Gluck (Screenwriter), Harley Peyton (Story By), Keith Merryman (Story By), David A. Newman (Story By)
Length:109 min.
Rating:Rated R : Sexual Content and Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Justin Timberlake as Dylan
Mila Kunis as Jamie
Patricia Clarkson as Lorna
Jenna Elfman as Annie
Bryan Greenberg as Parker
Richard Jenkins as Mr. Harper

Plot:
Dylan (Justin Timberlake) is done with relationships. Jamie (Mila Kunis) decides to stop buying into the Hollywood cliches of true love. When the two become friends they decide to try something new and take advantage of their mutual attraction – but without any emotional attachment. Physical pleasure without the entanglements. Sounds easy enough for two logical adults, right? Not so much. They soon realize romantic comedy stereotypes might exist for a reason.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
I have always enjoyed a good Romantic Comedy... and I am a long time fan of Mila Kunis.... every since her That '70s Show role. So thought it was about time to give this one a go. The first thing I noticed when I popped this one in is that the disc took forever to load. I mean I know that Blu-ray discs take longer to load then DVDs... but this one was ridiculously long. Not sure why... once loaded everything played fine.

An R rated romantic comedy isn't something that is seen often. I usually see these more being PG or PG13. Though this film s a little more sexual based then most of the romantic comedies I have seen. I found the film itself to be a lot of fun to watch. I can't say I actually broke out and laughed out loud. But I did spend much of the movie with a smile on my face. And it did easily keep my full attention from beginning to end. I got a kick out of Woody Harrelson playing the gay friend. I hate to say it but I didn't care much for Justin Timberlake in this film. Mainly hate to say it because he is the male lead in this film... so we see him a lot. I am not saying he is terrible here. But I just wasn't impressed. The high-point for me has to be Mila Kunis. Not just because I am already a fan.... and lets face it... she was hot in this film! But I think she did a great job here... and I really liked the character she played. Then there was a nice surprise when I saw Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg) show up for a fairly small part playing Dylan's sister. I always liked her as well. This is a film that I can easily recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »
This has been on my DVR for a while.  I just haven't taken the time to watch it yet.