Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 466633 times)

Najemikon

Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
I thought I would use this thread to bring over some reviews I did before I joined this site. I used to have a forum of my own that never had very many posters and the ones it did have dwindled down to just Roger and I by the time we both ended up here. So I thought I will bring the reviews over here that way they don't get lost if/when that old site gets deleted.

There may also be some TV Series reviews I can bring over as well.

Blimey, Jimmy reducing your total has really got your blood up, hasn't it?  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »
 :laugh: Not at all Jon. I am just figuring on deleting that old forum I have... and didn't want to loose all those reviews I wrote back then.

Would you rather I not post them?
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
Nah, they'll be worth seeing. I could do similar actually. It would be interesting to dig through the archives of when I was a Virgin.net host... :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »
 :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »

Title: Mesmerized
Year: 1986
Director: Michael Laughlin
Rating: PG
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Jodie Foster as Victoria
John Lithgow as Oliver Thompson
Michael Murphy as Wilson
Dan Shor as George
Harry Andrews as Old Thompson

Plot:
An orphaned New Zealand girl married to an older, wealthy businessman learns to deal with his strange sexual desires.

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
Well I finally got brave enough to watch this DVD. Mesmerized is a story set in the 1880's about a young women that is arranged to married an older man she does not love. Starring Jodie Foster and John Lithgow. The story is not bad... but far from the best I ever seen. Not so bad that I am sorry I bought it... but not good enough to buy another version as I have one of those cheap Dollar DVD versions. The dvd itself has a menu with just 1 option... play. nothing else at all. Why they bothered with this instead of just having the movie automatically start playing once you put it in the player is beyond me. Image quality is not to bad considering this is a dollar dvd though the image does have a dull look to it. Sound quality is not bad either. Clear sound. There was only one slight fraction of a second pause in the video but that could have been do to a dust particle or slight smudge on the disc.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Sept. 18, 2005
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »

Title: Saw II
Year: 2005
Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Tobin Bell as Jigsaw/John
Shawnee Smith as Amanda
Donnie Wahlberg as Eric Matthews
Erik Knudsen as Daniel Matthews
Franky G as Xavier

Plot:
Jigsaw is back. The brilliant, disturbed mastermind returns for another round of horrifying life-or-death games. When a new murder victim is discovered with all the signs of Jigsaw's hand, Detective Eric Matthews begins a full investigation and apprehends Jigsaw with little effort. But for Jigsaw, getting caught is just another part of his plan. Eight more of his victims are already fighting for their lives and now it's time for Matthews to join the game...

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed every minute of this movie!... This is one of the very few times that I can actually say that the sequel was even better then the original movie! If you haven't seen the first one yet I would highly recommend for you to see it first... both Saw and Saw 2 are must see movies... My brother... who is not a big fan of horror movies also loves the Saw movies...as he says.... they are different then what you normally see in a horror movie... and very well done. So if you haven't seen the Saw movies yet... put them on your list of must see movies!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: May 6, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »

Title: Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Year: 1978
Director: Philip Kaufman
Rating: PG
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Donald Sutherland as Matthew Bennell
Brooke Adams as Elizabeth Driscoll
Jeff Goldblum as Jack Bellicec
Veronica Cartwright as Nancy Bellicec
Leonard Nimoy as Dr. David Kibner

Plot:
When filmy spores fall from space and take root in San Francisco, the city is beautifully transformed by spectacular and exotic flowers. But these lovely extra-terrestrial blossoms have gruesome plans for their Earthly admirers: to slowly clone their bodies - and then dispose of the originals!

"A first-rate suspense thriller" ('Newsday'), this sci-fi adventure is a chilling" (Leonard Maltin), "dazzling" ('The New York Times') and "stunning" ('Cosmopolitan') thrill ride that will send your pulse rate soaring! From a brilliant screenplay by W. D. Richter, filmmaker Philip Kaufman directs an all-star cast that includes Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, Brooke Adams and Leonard Nimoy. With its mesmerizing style and awe-inspiring special effects, 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' is "a classic of the genre" ('New York Post') - a terrifying tale that "literally chills the blood" ('The Hollywood Reporter')!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is the first time in years I have seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It really was like watching this movie for the first time again. I never seen the original from the 50's.... but I have seen both remakes (this one & Body Snatchers) If you never seen this movie I would say it is definitely worth checking out. It is a pretty good movie... though it is a little on the slow side. With all said and done I would Recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: May 20, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »

Title: Land of the Dead: Unrated Director's Cut
Year: 2005
Director: George A. Romero
Rating: NR
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround

Stars:
Simon Baker (1969) as Riley
John Leguizamo as Cholo
Dennis Hopper as Kaufman
Asia Argento as Slack
Robert Joy as Charlie

Plot:
Packed with more heart-pounding and blood-curdling thrills than any theater could show, this special Unrated Director's Cut unleashes the ultimate vision of George A. Romero's latest living-dead shock-fest!

Starring Simon Baker, Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo, Land of the Dead finds humanity's last remnants battling to survive the unspeakable truth: The ravenous zombie hordes besieging their fortified city...are evolving!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:
Land of the Dead is an awesome work of art! George A. Romero is a true Master of Horror!!! In Land of the Dead the zombies are starting to evolve... they are starting to communicate with each other... learning to use basic tools... just basically learning to think. Which, of course, is nothing but trouble for the human race.

There was a few noticeable cameos in this one. First I talked about Tom Savini being one of the biker gang in the original Dawn of the Dead.. he returns here in Land of the Dead... two movies later... as a Zombie... same character... still with Machete in hand. Also... 2 members of the British spoof of Dawn of the Dead... Shaun of the Dead.. got a cameo as zombies as well. It was said in one of the extras that George A. Romero loved the movie Shaun of the Dead and he was pleased to give them a cameo in his newest Zombie movie. Needless to say... but this is another movie I Highly Recommend!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
 :laugh:

Saw 2? No. No, I won't say it...  :-X

These are from before you discovered your full five star mojo, aren't they? :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
 :tease:

I am actually finding that most of the ones over there I have watched again and already reviewed here... so not sure how many I will need to pull over.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »

Title: The Core: Widescreen Collection
Year: 2003
Director: Jon Amiel
Rating: PG-13
Length: 135 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Christopher Shyer as Dave Perry
Ray Galletti as Paul
Eileen Pedde as Lynne
Rékha Sharma as Danni
Tom Scholte as Acker

Plot:
Academy Award® winner* Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry) leads an all-star cast in this electrifying journey that puts you in the middle of the most spectacular film adventure.

Geophysicist Dr. Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart, Erin Brockovich) has made a terrifying discovery: the Earth's inner core has stopped rotating. Now the planet's electromagnetic field is deteriorating and within months, Earth will be destroyed.

One hope exists: to send Keyes and an elite team of scientists in a subterranean vessel to the center of the Earth. As mankind's fate hangs in the balance, the scientists and the ship's crew must do the unthinkable – detonate a nuclear device to reactivate the Earth's core.

Co-starring Delroy Lindo (Ransom), Emmy® Award winner** Stanley Tucci and Academy Award® nominee*** Alfre Woodard.

*1999 Best Actress, Boys Don't Cry
**1998 Outstanding Lead Actor in a Mini Series or Movie, Winchell
***1983 Best Supporting Actress, Cross Creek

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a good movie... not the best one I ever seen... but definitely worth checking out. I would say try to catch it on cable... or rent it first before you commit to buying it. But over all... I am glad I have it in my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Aug. 5, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »

Title: 10.5 Apocalypse: The Complete Miniseries: Widescreen
Year: 2006
Director: John Lafia
Rating: NR
Length: 169 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Kim Delaney as Dr. Samantha Hill
Dean Cain as Brad Malloy
David Cubitt as Dr. Jordan Fisher
Oliver Hudson as Will Malloy
Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon as Natalie Warner

Plot:
Another massive 10.5 quake tears apart the West Coast, threatening to turn the American landscape into a hellish wasteland. Seismologist Samantha Hill (Emmy® winner Kim Delaney, TV's CSI: Miami) sees an even greater threat: an ever-widening fault line that's heading straight for the country's two largest nuclear reactors. If a meltdown occurs, millions will die. Samantha and the American president (Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Beau Bridges, TV's Stargate SG-1) agree only one man can help them—the scientist who predicted this terrifying natural disaster years before—Samantha's own father, Dr. Earl Hill (Golden Globe® nominee Frank Langella, Good Night, and Good Luck.), now counted as a possible casualty of a massive Las Vegas quake. Together with a crack rescue team including Brad (Dean Cain, Mayday) and Will (Oliver Hudson, The Out-of-Towners), Samantha must find her father and stop the fault from slicing uncontrollably toward millions of people and the ultimate nuclear apocalypse.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I originally bought 10.5 as a blind buy... even though I heard nothing good about the miniseries. Even though most people hated it with a passion I more then enjoyed it! So when I saw that a new miniseries 10.5: Apocalypse was being released I didn't even bother reading what other people think of it. Just going by the first one I knew automatically I had to get it... so I did... shortly after it's release.

This one takes place right where the first one left off.... they thought it was over at the end of 10.5 but they were wrong! If you liked the first one... this one is a must see! But do yourself a favor... if you never seen the first one... watch it before watching 10.5: Apocalypse because as I said... it takes over right where 10.5 left off.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Aug. 13, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »

Title: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Year: 1966
Director: Sergio Leone
Rating: R
Length: 162 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono

Stars:
Clint Eastwood as Blondie
Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes
Aldo Giuffrè as Union Captain
Luigi Pistilli as Father Pablo Ramirez
Rada Rassimov as Maria

Plot:
By far the most ambitious, unflinchingly graphic and stylistically influential western ever mounted, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is an engrossing actioner shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism. Clint Eastwood returns as the "Man with No Name", this time teaming with two gunslingers (Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef) to pursue a cache of $200,000 - letting no one, not even warring factions in a civil war, stand in their way.

From sun-drenched panoramas to bold, hard closeups, exceptional camera work captures the beauty and cruelty of the barren landscape and the hardened characters who stride unwaveringly through it. Forging a vibrant and yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly shatters the western mold in true Clint Eastwood style.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is my first Clint Eastwood western... I went in with maybe higher hopes then I should have... knowing that Clint Eastwood was well known for his westerns. I felt this one had a slow start... but in the end I really enjoyed the movie! Eastwood was definitely a bad-ass in this one! The feeling I got from this... even though it is a good movie I can see how someone wouldn't care for it... so I would suggest renting it before going out to buy it... though I am glad to have it in my collection!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Aug. 28, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »

Title: X-Men: The Last Stand
Year: 2006
Director: Brett Ratner
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: DTS ES (Discrete), French: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe/Storm
Ian McKellen as Eric Lehnsherr/Magneto
Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey/Phoenix

Plot:
Experience the awesome power of The X-Men's epic, final battle. Join well-known mutant heroes and villains, and meet a cadre of all-new warriors – including Angel, Beast, Juggernaut and Colossus – in this thrilling, explosive adventure!

After a controversial "cure" is discovered, mutants can choose to retain their superhuman abilities or give up their unique gifts and become "normal." When peaceful mutant leader Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) clashes with his militant counterpart, Magneto (Ian McKellen), the battle lines are drawn for the war to end all wars.

Bursting with nonstop action, spectacular special effects and exclusive special features, X-MEN THE LAST STAND is a force of nature that "will blow you away!" (NY1)

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
No technical complaints on this release... both the audio and video look/sound great. The menus are nicely put together and there is a nice collection of extras.Being a fan of the first 2 movies... I couldn't wait to watch this one when it arrived. I had heard that the 3rd movie wasn't as good as the first two... but I must say... I enjoyed every minute of it. There was a couple surprises for me in it. Naturally you meet a couple more X-Men and other new mutants as well. X-Men: The Last Stand is definitely worth checking out... especially if you enjoyed the first 2 movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Oct. 7, 2006
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »

Title: Stephen King's Cat's Eye
Year: 1985
Director: Lewis Teague
Length: 94 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Our Girl
James Woods as Morrison
Alan King as Dr. Donatti
Kenneth McMillan as Cressner
Robert Hays as Norris

Plot:
A wandering supernatural feline's adventures provide the linking story for Stephen King's Cat's Eye, a dead on trilogy scripted by King and directed by Lewis Teague (Cujo, The Jewel of the Nile). First up: the staff at Quitters Inc. promises to help nicotine fiend Dick Morrison (James Woods) kick the habit. If not, someone in Morrison's household might get smoked... because QI is run by a very persuasive mob family. Next comes a cliffhanger. Or a ledgehanger. Either way, a luckless gambler (Robert Hays) is forced into a bet involving a stroll around the building – on the five inch ledge encircling the 30th floor. Finally, our wayfarer kitty rescues a schoolgirl (young Drew Barrymore) from a vile, doll-sized troll. Meowvelous!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the first Anthology movies I ever seen... and one of my favorites. In my opinion a real horror classic! I loved how the cat in the beginning of the movie is shown running past other Stephen King greats... like.. seeing the cat getting scared by Cujo coming out from behind a fence and almost getting run over by Christine. This Anthology had 3 stories to it... and in this case I really enjoyed all 3 of them. I definitely recommend this movie to any horror fan!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Reviewed: Oct. 23, 2006
Pete