Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 466612 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
What Movies I Been Watching
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:37:20 AM »
I been wanting to throw in some oddball movies here and there but haven't done it as they wouldn't fit in some of the marathons I been having And also wanted a place to put movie reviews when I am not having a marathon... so I thought I would make a "What I Been Watching" thread for movies now... to go along with the one I been doing for TV series.

Hopefully this will help me to watch a few more movies here and there.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

Mirrors
Look deeper into the world of Mirrors with this thrill-packed DVD featuring an unrated cut of the film, plus over an hour of shocking special features, including deleted scenes and an alternate ending you've got to see to believe! Attempting to pick up the shattered pieces of his life, a disgraced former cop (Kiefer Sutherland) takes a routine job guarding the charred ruins of a once-famous department store. But the terrifying images he sees in the store's ornate mirrors will send him on a pulse-pounding mission to unravel the secrets of the building's past...before they destroy his entire life!

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I got with a gift card I got for my Birthday. It was a complete blind buy as I never even seen the trailer for it at the time. I grabbed it for 2 reasons. First because a good friend of mine suggested it. and also because it stars Keifer Sutherland of 24 fame. The DVD has both the Theatrical version and the unrated version of the movie. I watched the unrated version. And let me tell you I loved this movie! It is a good story... it has atmosphere... and it does not shy away from the gore either. I thought Kiefer Sutherland was fantastic in it. I will say the movie lost a little something going into the ending of the movie. But not so much to ruin your enjoyment of the movie. I also didn't care much for the very end of the movie. I mean it wasn't really bad... just I would of preferred it to be different.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
Yea! One more you can add to your "gore: marathon! :burninacid: :giljotiini: :axed: :chainsaw:

richierich

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »

Mirrors
Look deeper into the world of Mirrors with this thrill-packed DVD featuring an unrated cut of the film, plus over an hour of shocking special features, including deleted scenes and an alternate ending you've got to see to believe! Attempting to pick up the shattered pieces of his life, a disgraced former cop (Kiefer Sutherland) takes a routine job guarding the charred ruins of a once-famous department store. But the terrifying images he sees in the store's ornate mirrors will send him on a pulse-pounding mission to unravel the secrets of the building's past...before they destroy his entire life!

My Thoughts:
 I grabbed it for 2 reasons. First because a good friend of mine suggested it. and also because it stars Keifer Sutherland of 24 fame.

And no doubt after reading my review on it here as well Pete!!!!!!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »
Wow! I must have missed that review... Sorry Rich! But I am going back to read it now to see your thoughts. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »
I wish I saw your review sooner! It would have made it into my collection much sooner!
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
Wow! I must have missed that review... Sorry Rich! But I am going back to read it now to see your thoughts. :)

Or my short review especially for you a year ago ;)

Also this one in the same thread could be for you, if you do not know it already.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »
Thanks Tom!  :-[ :bag: :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:38 PM »

Salem's Lot (1979)
With Salem’s Lot, a blood-curdling shocker based on the novel by Stephen King, director Tobe Hooper ('Poltergeist') sends the time-honored vampire legend soaring on bat wings into the modern era.

Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house, a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac and the dealer’s mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder).

The solid supporting cast of vampire victims and fighters includes Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, Elisha Cook, Ed Flanders, George Dzundza, Lance Kerwin, Geoffrey Lewis and Marie Windsor.
It’s hard to keep the undead down. And so easy to be scared in Salem’s Lot.

My Thoughts:
I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. This is one of the few movies that scared me as a kid. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him is.
   2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

Of course this movie does not scare me any longer... but then again... I haven't seen any horror movie that has scared me in a very long time. Not to say the movie is any more or less scary... it just don't have the same effect it once did. Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies. Now... please lets see a DVD release of Return to Salem's Lot! It has been so long since I seen the sequel I can't remember anything other then it's existence. [/b]

My Rating

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list!  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »

Meet the Parents
Male nurse Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) is poised to propose to his girlfriend Pam (Teri Polo) during a weekend stay at her parents' home. But here's the catch...he needs to ask her father first. Alas, the fur flies as Jack Byrnes, Pam's cat-crazy, ex-CIA father, played hysterically by Academy Award® winner Robert De Niro, takes an immediate dislike to her less-than-truthful beau. Greg's quest for approval gets seriously sidetracked as Murphy's Law takes over and a hilarious string of mishaps turns him into a master of disaster and total pariah in the eyes of the entire family...all except for his shell-shocked girlfriend, who can't believe she still loves her one-man wrecking crew.

Meet the Parents, from the director of Austin Powers, is an uproarious blockbuster hit that bombards you with one laugh after another, as true love tries to conquer all, against all odds.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have always enjoyed. A lot of laughs in it. I think everyone in the movie did good.. I especially enjoyed De Niro in what (in my experience) is a rare comedy role. I also had to get a kick out of the cat on a toilet thing in this movie. I have seen it in other movies where it just didn't work... but I think in this movie then done it well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »

Commando
In this early action classic that features his unique blend of thrills and offbeat humor, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER stars as retired Colonel John Matrix. The ex-head of a special commando strike team, he's forced back into action when his daughter (ALYSSA MILANO) is kidnapped. With the help of a feisty stewardess (RAE DAWN CHONG), Matrix has only a few hours to overcome his greatest challenge: finding his daughter before she gets killed.

My Thoughts:
I have some mixed feelings about this one. Yes I enjoyed it. Plenty of stuff being blown up... plenty of people getting killed. And it has a good story. Though I did find some of this stuff over the top... even for a movie like this. That is really not a bad thing... it is something I can enjoy... but I have seen better pure action movies then this one. Not to mention the fact that this movie has some very corny lines in it. It was almost like they were trying too hard to throw in some funny lines... and they just didn't work. I did think it was cool seeing a young Alyssa Milano (Charmed) again. The only extra on this DVD is the Trailer.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix. You did.
Matrix: I lied.

:hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »

13 Going on 30
Jennifer Garner (Daredevil, TV's "Alias") and Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) star in this hilarious flash-forward romance about a pre-teen girl who goes from geek to glamorous. With the help of some magic wishing dust, 13 year-old Jenna Rink (Garner) becomes 30 and gorgeous overnight, with everything she ever wanted, except for her best friend Matt (Ruffalo). Now, this grown woman must create some magic of her own to help the little girl inside find the true love she left behind.

My Thoughts:
Every since the first time I saw the TV Series Alias I have been a fan of Jennifer Garner. So this movie was a no-brainer for me to get. Matter of fact I originally bought the first release which I believe was a special edition... but this one (Fun and Flirty Edition) had enough new extras that I wanted to upgrade. It was my wife that originally got me watching romantic comedies... and to this day (Little over 13 years after her untimely death [12/17/95]) I still think of her every time I watch one. And this is a fun one. I think Jennifer Garner did a great job being a young girl trapped in a 30 year old woman's body. In my opinion it is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

NOTE: Jimmy... this is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix. You did.
Matrix: I lied.

:hysterical:

That was probably the best line in the movie!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
After talking about the Dukes in the "What'ya got?" thread... I had the strong urge to watch some... so I pulled out one of the reunion movies.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Reunion!
In Reunion!, folks come home to Hazzard and discover a plot to turn Hazzard Swamp into a theme park...leaving the swamp critters high and dry. Before you can say wait a durn minute, the cousins are back in the General Lee, tearing up the roads to stop the nefarious scheme.

My Thoughts:
The Dukes of Hazzard has been a favorite of mine since my childhood! Good Ole Boys... General Lee... and of course Daisy Duke! What more could any all American Red-Blooded country boy ask for? It was so good to see so many of the original cast back for this reunion movie. Unfortunately Sorrel Brooks, who played Boss Hogg, passed away before the making of this movie. But they were sure to do right by his memory in this movie. Back in the '80s and '90s I was huge into Martial Arts movies... since then I have not watch many. But it was cool seeing Cynthia Rothrock... and her talented feet in this movie. Almost makes me want to go out and pick up some of her old martial arts movies. Whatever happen to her anyway?... I haven't seen or heard much of her for a long time now. Unfortunately there is no extras what so ever on this disc.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list!
Pete