Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Gore-Fest  (Read 11793 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Gore-Fest
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Gore-Fest
We are now in June. This means my October's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon is only a few months away. Every year I abstain from horror for a good month or two to prepare myself for such a long horror marathon.  I will probably not watch any horror in July, August or September this year. So I figured I would fit some in this month while I can.

I will be doing the rating system a little different for this marathon. Yes you will see my rating for the movie... but you will also see an added rating of 1-5 of gore in the movie.
Movie Rating:
Gore Rating:

Most of you here have seen my list of horror in the Other Thread... feel free to request a review. As long as it is a gory movie I will do my best to get to it this weekend.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:52:49 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Gore-Fest
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »
Day of the Dead! It has one moment in particular that I find to be the epitome of apocalyptic gore.  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »

Hellraiser
In 1986, critically acclaimed and celebrated horror author Clive Barker directed his first feature film which has since become a modern horror classic. Clive Barker's Hellraiser intorduced some of the most frightening and sophisticated images of horror to ever grace the silver screen.

No film has ever gripped the imagination so shockingly nor presented such nightmarish characters, deeds, monsters, and ideas which go so far beyond the realm of horror filmmaking and fiction.

From beyond the Outer Darkness. From the nightmarish realm of the imagination. From the mind of the horror master extraordinaire, Clive Barker, comes Hellraiser — there are no limits.

My Thoughts:
I thought I would start off my Gore-Fest weekend with one I have not watched in a very long time. The first time I saw this movie I was a teenager... maybe 16 or 17... and this could have been my first taste of a truly gory movie. One thing I like about this movie is it is not just gore for the sake of gore. The gore is actually vital to the storyline. I also liked how the characters in this movie was done. I liked the characters that were supposed to be liked... and I enjoyed disliking the characters that were not meant to be liked. Over-all an enjoyable movie with good effects. Even though by today's standards the gore isn't as plentiful as some of the current movies out there (not that there wasn't enough gore)... What is there is used well.

My Ratings:
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:27:01 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »

Evil Dead
In the summer of 1979, a group of Detroit friends with $375,000 raised from local investors headed for a cabin outside of Morristown, Tennessee to make a film about five college students possessed by an ancient 'Book of the Dead.' The filmmakers' goal was to create 'The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror,' a movie so relentless that it would stand forever as a landmark in modern horror history. When it was released in 1982, it was immediately recognized worldwide as one of the most ferociously original horror films ever made. Twenty years later, this is THE EVIL DEAD like you've never seen or heard it before.
THE EVIL DEAD is now more grueling than ever, featuring newly restored state-of-the-art digitally remastered picture and sound, and loaded with incredible new extras, all personally supervised by director Sam Raimi.

This edition comes packaged in a replica of the original Book Of The Dead designed by Tom Sullivan. It features a sculpted 'fleshy' cover and pages of artwork produced exclusively for this edition. Also includes a special 24-Page "Bringing The Dead Home For Dinner" collector's booklet.

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I always liked. It is good for both it's gory horror and to a lesser extent it's comedic presence (Comedy much more prevalent in the sequels). While I did like all three of the Evil Dead movies... this first one remains my favorite of the bunch. The majority of the gore on this movie is more in an unrealistic fun way then anything else. But for what it is... it makes for an enjoyable viewing experience. Until watching this movie today... I completely forgot it wasn't until part 2 that Ash lost his hand. For some strange reason I was thinking that happened in this movie.

My Ratings:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
Interesting that you consider Evil Dead gorier than Hellraiser...

Hellraiser also has such nice quotable lines:
"What's your pleasure, sir?"
"We have such sights to show you." (or was this one in the sequel...?)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
That is because Hellraiser was a mistake... I originally thought I put 4 drops of blood on Hellraiser.  :bag: Fixing it now.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
4 drops looks good :)

I wonder if we will see 5 in the marathon. Whatever it is, unless I own it (like Dead Alive) will go on wish list instantly.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
An example of a 5 drops of blood to me (from my measly experience with gory movies  :P ) would be like some of the episodes of Masters of Horror... Pelts come to mind.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:19:30 AM »
An example of a 5 drops of blood to me (from my measly experience with gory movies  :P ) would be like some of the episodes of Masters of Horror... Pelts come to mind.
Another good exemple is Bloodsucking Freaks (I hope to see it in your marathon ;)) or the first entry in the Guinea Pig franchise (Flower of flesh and blood).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
well since I don't have the second one you mentioned I may have to do my best to get through Bloodsucking Freaks at some point this weekend.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »

Day of the Dead
The "walking dead" have taken over the world. Only a small band of scientists and soldiers are definitely known to remain, and they have taken refuge in an underground missile silo. The only hope for survival of the human race hinges on discovering a way to either control the walking dead or get them back into their graves for good.

Grotesque research experiments are being conducted by Dr. Logan, a borderline mad scientist, appropriately nicknamed Dr. Frankenstein by his associates. His most promising prospect for controlling the hordes of walking dead is one "guinea pig" zombie who seems to have a trace of humanity left in him.

But the military leader soon discovers that some of his soldiers have been used as substitute guinea pigs in zombie experiments, and he retaliates by locking up the remaining scientific team with the zombies.

Now, the remaining human survivors engage in a horrific last ditch battle for life with thousands of the walking dead. The result is the darkest day of horror the world has ever known...

My Thoughts:
I always liked the Romero zombie movies. And this is one of my favorites. The gore is really up there in this movie. Between the zombies tearing and and eating flesh and some of the scenes such as the doctor's experiments on the zombies and a dream sequence here and there the gore is plentiful and well done. I will say that there is some characters I dislike in this movie. But I think that is usually true of most movies. I would also say that some of the acting is a bit over the top.  But if you can get past that you are in for a gory walking dead treat.

My Ratings:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »
 :thumbup:

Apart from the classic "choke on 'em!" line, I was always fascinated by the bit after...
(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
I may have to upgrade to this release...

I read that there is a commentary with Romero and Savini... and read this is THE version to have... at least in R1 land.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
I am not sure how well I will do on this weekend's marathon. It is a favorite genre of mine... and I just can't seem to get motivated to watch the movies for some reason.

No I am not giving up on the marathon... not at this point... I really would like to watch at least a few more movies for it. It is just that it seems like my heart is just not in it this weekend for some reason.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »
Maybe I will let the Masters of Horror count in this marathon. It is a TV Series... yes... but it is done as a different short movie each week. But then the question would have to be do I count them in the movie count thread of the TV Ep count thread. hmmmmmm. Not sure what I want to do yet.
Pete