Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/22 - 5/24  (Read 9808 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/22 - 5/24
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
5/22 - 5/24
This weekend there will be no theme to my marathon. I will be watching whatever movie that I am in the mood for at the time. I will definitely be seeing some I never seen before as I just found out that our local library has a whole wall of DVDs they loan out. So I picked out 3 for this weekend. So this weekend I decided to watch...

NOTE: Don't worry I am not forgetting about my Superhero Marathon... I just have that one as a slow marathon... and didn't want to use it for my weekend marathons as well.

First Review to follow soon...
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/22 - 5/24
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

Rocky Balboa
When he loses a highly publicized virtual boxing match to ex-champ Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), reigning heavyweight title holder Mason Dixon (Antonio Tarver) retaliates by challenging the Italian Stallion to a nationally televised, 10-round exhibition bout. To the surprise of his son (Milo Ventimiglia, TV's Heroes) and friends, Rocky agrees to come out of retirement and face an opponent who's faster, stronger and thirty years his junior. With the odds stacked firmly against him, Rocky takes on Dixon in what will become the greatest fight in boxing history, a hard-hitting, action-packed battle of the ages!

My Thoughts:
This is the first time seeing this movie. I enjoyed every one of the previous Rocky movies (sure some were better then others... but liked them all)... but really can't compare this one to them as I haven't seen any of them in many years. What I can say is that I did enjoy it a lot! Sure... it is unbelievable. But that just didn't matter while watching the movie. It reminded me quite a bit of the first Rocky movie. I think it is a hell of a way to end the franchise. I did have a problem or two with it though. The main one being what they did with Rocky's wife. I definitely wasn't expecting that... and maybe it just hit a little too close to home for me... but I would have preferred her to be there. And something was nagging at me throughout the movie. I know  I recognize the guy playing his son... but just can't place it. Will have to look into it after this post to see where I know him from. Over-all had a very good time watching this movie... I really need to add it (and all the other Rocky movies) to my collection!

My Ratings:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
OK... so I am not all here today... just noticed on the back of the case that his son was played by the guy from Heroes! I Knew he looked familiar!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
The main one being what they did with Rocky's wife.

It bothered me at first. I would have liked them still happily together. But I then understood why they left her out: She would have been against Rocky fighting again and we would have had a movie with her nagging at him about him. Instead we got a female companion who fully supported him in his choice to fight again. Also it was needed for Rocky having the need to fight again because he had nothing left.

OK... so I am not all here today... just noticed on the back of the case that his son was played by the guy from Heroes! I Knew he looked familiar!  :P

I noticed it the first time he came on-screen and that was my thing in the movie which bothered me. I constantly saw his Heroes character instead of Rocky's son.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:51:05 PM by Tom »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

When I watched that movie I instantly thought "Save the Cheerleader. Save the World!" ;D
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
Tom
You bring up a good point about his wife. And yes that does make sense.  But it still seemed weird to have a Rocky movie without Adrian!

LOL... yes Now that I read it on the back of the box it was pretty obvious why the son looked so familiar to me. What can I say.... it has been a while since I watched Heroes! I still have most of the last season on my DVR waiting for me to watch it.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »

Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
What's a Yuppie ghost couple (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) to do when their quaint New England home is overrun by trendy New Yorkers? Hire a freelance "bio-exorcist" to spook the intruders, of course. As directed by Tim Burton, Michael "Keaton's Beetlejuice is one of the biggest, baddest wolves a ghost movie has ever unleashed, a polter-gas" (The Village Voice). Keaton's work in this and Clean and Sober won him 1988's National Society of Film Critics Best Actor Award. Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and Sylvia Sidney share starring honors along with wondrous production design, Harry Belafonte soundtrack tunes and Oscar®-winning Best Makeup.

My Thoughts:
As an early birthday present a good friend of mine gave me a copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD. I already owned the original release... but I been wanting to upgrade every since the anniversary edition came out.

The movie itself I have seen many times before. It is one that I enjoy watching every few months or so. I last watched it just last month but since I got this new version I really wanted to check it out. I really like Geena Davis in this movie. And even though I don't normally care for her... I also enjoyed Winona Ryder.

This DVD compared to the first release is good... but I don't believe that this release deserves the Deluxe Edition status. I mean the fact that they added a few episodes of the animated series is cool... and then there is the theatrical trailer but where are the extras that more people want to see? There is no Commentary? What about a Featurette or two? Blooper Reel? Nope... we don't get none of that. Talk about a missed opportunity!  Oh well at least it is a movie I really enjoy... and there is a few episodes of the animated series... which I haven't seen any of in a very long time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:27 AM »
You have forgot one extra in your list, how is the music only track? :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
What can I say... that is a very forgettable "extra"  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »

Dracula 3000
A salvage ship on a routine mission discovers a transporter vessel that had been reported missing 100 years earlier. When the salvage crew boards the vessel, they discover 50 long black coffins. In the blackness of space where the sun never rises, the ancient curse that this mysterious cargo carries begins to eliminate the crew one by one.

My Thoughts:
I felt like I was in the mood for a vampire movie this morning. But one I haven't seen in a long time. I only watched this one once... when I first bought it back in 2004. Normally I don't care much for the horror icon once they put them into space (Leprechaun, Jason [though Jason wasn't too bad]) But the idea of Dracula in space... where there is no sun to rise somehow appealed to me. This does seem to be a low-budget release... and I have seen many better then this one. But it has something about it that is enjoyable. It is a movie I can see myself going back to... but not one I would watch all that often. Unfortunately there is no extras what so ever on this release.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

Happy Birthday To Me
Get ready for a taut mystery-shocker that will keep you at your wit's end and at the edge of your seat.

Popular high school senior Virginia Wainwright (Melissa Sue Anderson) survives a freak accident, but suffers from memory loss and traumatic blackouts. As she attempts to resume a normal life, something terrible is happening — her friends are ruthlessly murdered one-by-one. Will she be the next victim or is she the killer? The terrifying truth is finally uncovered at Virginia's 18th birthday party...and you're invited.

My Thoughts:
I was tempted to save this movie for next weekend since my birthday is next weekend... but at the last moment I figured what the hell... close enough. My wife used to drive me nuts always watching Little House on the Prairie before she passed away... so Melissa Sue Anderson is very familiar to me from that.I found this movie to be very good... but it is a little on the slow side. Especially in the beginning before things really get going. I think Melissa Sue Anderson did a very good job on this movie. I grew up with '80s horror... and definitely watched quite a bit of it. I would definitely rank this one high on the list.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
We agree on this one, since I like it too (give it a ;D in my own review). A great Canadian classic, in fact it's a French Canadian movie. But the cover is one of the ugliest I've ever seen, looks like a cheap bootleg and not like a studio release (even if it is).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
Tell me about it! They should have used the movie poster/insert for the cover!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Man's Best Friend
Bloodcurdling action and spine-chilling thrills put the bite into this howling sci-fi shocker starring Ally Sheedy (High Art, The Breakfast Club) and Lance Henriksen (Scream 3, Aliens). When an ambitious news journalist (Sheedy) breaks into a genetic research facility, she uncovers the biggest story of her career and unleashes the lab's most dangerous experiment: Max - a genetically enhanced guard dog with a vicious killer instinct. Superior sight, hearing, strength, and intelligence make him faster, stronger, and smarter than almost any other animal alive - and deadlier. Without the neuropathic drugs needed to curb his aggressive nature, his predatory urge runs out of control... and once he tastes blood, nothing can stop him.

My Thoughts:
I know a lot of people that thinks this movie is no more then a bad Cujo rip-off. But this is another movie that I always enjoyed. I liked that they made the dog very intelligent. I especially enjoyed towards the beginning where he not only chases after the mugger that takes Ally Sheedy's purse... but he even returns with the purse. I will admit that the chameleon effect was a bit much that basically just looked silly. With the way this movie ended I always hoped for a sequel but it never happened. The first time I saw this I didn't even know who Lance Henriksen was... but I am now a big fan of his. I would have liked to see a few more extras on this DVD also.

My Thoughts:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
IIRC I saw Man's Best Friend in the theater. Ally Sheedy and the ever dependable Lance Henriksen do good work here. I certainly think it's a solid horror film and would rate it 3/5 myself.