Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/15 - 5/17  (Read 12000 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/15 - 5/17
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
5/15 - 5/17
This weekend I will not be having any type of theme. I am not really sure what I am in the mood to watch so though this way I can pop in whatever I am in the mood for when I am in the mood for it. I do hope to get a few in that I never seen before though. So this weekend I decided to watch...

First review coming soon...
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/15 - 5/17
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »

Bowfinger
How does Bobby Bowfinger (Steve Martin), Hollywood's least successful director, get Kit Ramsey (Eddie Murphy), Hollywood's biggest star, in his ultra low-budget film? Any way he can. With an ingenious scheme and the help of Kit's eager and nerdy brother Jiff, an ambitious and sexy wannabe (Heather Graham) and an over-the-hill diva (Christine Baranski), Bowfinger sets out to trick Kit Ramsey into the performance of a lifetime. Enjoy the fun with Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin - together for the first time in the hit comedy BOWFINGER.

My Thoughts:
I first seen this movie back in 2003 when I bought the DVD used at a pawnshop I stopped by. And this is the first time I watched it since. I remembered feeling it was not too great of a film when I originally watched it... so I wanted to give it a second chance. Maybe it is because I am expecting too much from stars such as Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy but I am still not thrilled with this movie. If anything I would say it is a decent movie... but one I just didn't find funny at all.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
Tromeo & Juliet, any chance for this one?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Tromeo and Juliet?... I will try to put myself in the right mindspace for a troma movie for you this weekend. but it won't be the next one. I am about to check out an old '70s horror I bought for my Halloween marathon last year... but never got around to.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »

The Dunwich Horror
Single white warlock seeks beautiful blond babe to join him at the altar...the sacrificial altar! When the son of Satan (Dean Stockwell) seduces a wide-eyed college student (Sandra Dee), it's a match made in hell in this "exceptional, truly engrossing film of the supernatural" (Los Angeles Times) where the romance is hot...and the terror bone-chilling! Young Wilbur Whateley (Stockwell) has haunting eyes and an impish grin. No wonder, since his father was the devil and his mother was insane! So when Wilbur decides to start a family, he lures a cute coed (Dee) to the mountains for a weekend of demonic rites 'and' wrongs! Now all hell is about to break loose, as their passion awakes an ancient evil determined to destroy all humanity in this sinister scare-fest of satanic seduction!

My Thoughts:
I blind bought this movie during the horror sale last Halloween... but I never got around to watching it until now. While the story is pretty good... I didn't care much for the style what with the colored tinting on the film in many scenes. And I feel it really didn't age all that well. As I said... it was a good story... but a weird one. And I couldn't believe that was Dean Stockwell... he looks totally different!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »

The Dunwich Horror
Single white warlock seeks beautiful blond babe to join him at the altar...the sacrificial altar! When the son of Satan (Dean Stockwell) seduces a wide-eyed college student (Sandra Dee), it's a match made in hell in this "exceptional, truly engrossing film of the supernatural" (Los Angeles Times) where the romance is hot...and the terror bone-chilling! Young Wilbur Whateley (Stockwell) has haunting eyes and an impish grin. No wonder, since his father was the devil and his mother was insane! So when Wilbur decides to start a family, he lures a cute coed (Dee) to the mountains for a weekend of demonic rites 'and' wrongs! Now all hell is about to break loose, as their passion awakes an ancient evil determined to destroy all humanity in this sinister scare-fest of satanic seduction!

My Thoughts:
I blind bought this movie during the horror sale last Halloween... but I never got around to watching it until now. While the story is pretty good... I didn't care much for the style what with the colored tinting on the film in many scenes. And I feel it really didn't age all that well. As I said... it was a good story... but a weird one. And I couldn't believe that was Dean Stockwell... he looks totally different!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

I think I saw some of this on AMC several years ago during their Halloween Horrorfest or whatever they call it.  It was back when they still showed mostly the older movies, like the original Dracula and Frankenstein.
Was he using rings?  Like to ..well..I'm not sure what he was doing with them..maybe to channel the evil or something.  And I seem to remember him making really odd expressions too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
I don't remember anything about rings... but if it helps here is the trailer for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8EbSvNFqg

This really sucks... 11am and I haven't had the chance to watch a single movie yet today! And I still have several things to do today... hopefully I will be ablt to fit in at least one movie today!

I so hate when real life gets in the way of watching my DVDs!!!  :voodoo:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
STEVEN SPIELBERG and GEORGE LUCAS bring you the greatest adventurer of all time in "a nonstop thrill ride" (Richard Corliss, TIME) that's packed with "sensational, awe-inspiring spectacles" (Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES). Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull finds Indy (Harrison Ford) trying to outrace a brilliant and beautiful agent (Cate Blanchett) for the mystical, all-powerful crystal skull of Akator. Teaming up with a rebellious young biker (Shia LaBeouf) and his spirited original love Marion (Karen Allen), Indy takes you on an action-packed adventure in the exciting tradition of the classic Indiana Jones movies!

My Thoughts:
I just received this movie as an early birthday present.... and couldn't wait to put it in! I been wanting to see this movie since I first heard rumors of it being made. After watching it... all I can think of saying is WOW! I loved every minute of it. This movie is just pure fun... in a way that only can be done by Harrison Ford in an Indy movie. Sure... the majority of this one was over the top and completely unbelievable. but that is all part of the enjoyment of this movie. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade has always been my favorite Indy movie... but I think that just got replaced with this one!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
 :redcard:
It isn't your birthday yet, you aren't suppose to watch it before the real day :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
too bad!  :tease:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Blimey! Another 5 stars?  :laugh: I just bought it today actually. Found a cheap blu-ray and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. You're also not with the people who said it was absolute shit then, Pete? They're so completely wrong of course, but I do think it could have been better; I mean the bit the monkeys? You still gave it a full five after the bit with the monkeys? :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »
Oh yeah... that bit with the monkeys was pretty over-the-top and in a way I could say bad... but I found myself laughing my ass off over it.

I considered giving this one between a 4 or 4½... but what put me all the way to a 5 is the simple fact that after watching this movie the first thing that popped in my head was "Damn... I could watch it again!"... and any movie that I could watch again instantly like that deserves a 5 star rating from me!  :thumbup:
Pete

richierich

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »

I so hate when real life gets in the way of watching my DVDs!!!  :voodoo:

Amen to that Brother   :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »

Cube Zero
In this prequel to one of the most successful sci-fi thrillers of the last decade, a new group of unwilling participants frantically moves through an ominous construct of cube-shaped rooms. Each room holds the threat of hideously inventive and painful death. Finding the real exit, however, may not offer the freedom one seeks.

My Thoughts
Looking through my collection for something to watch I realized I only watched this movie once since I bought it. This is surprising to me as much as I enjoy this series. while there is plenty of gore in this movie... it is not as much as the first two movies. But the first kill of the movie is extra gory... just like the previous two movies. The big difference between this movie and the previous 2 Cube is that you get to see just as much going on outside the Cube as you do what is going on inside of it. but it is a movie I enjoyed very much... a good addition the the Cube series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »

Tromeo & Juliet
All the body-piercing, kinky sex, and car crashes that Shakespeare wanted but never had! Join Tromeo (Will Keenan) Juliet (Jane Jensen), and Lemmy of Motorhead as they travel through Manhattan's underground in search of climatic love, violence, and the American Way. Tromeo & Juliet is thrust forward with hyperkinetic performances and a cutting-edge soundtrack. This DVD Director's Cut of Tromeo & Juliet has been lovingly digitally mastered by director LIoyd Kaufman and the Troma Team and contains extra footage you can't see anywhere else.

My Thoughts:
OK... as requested by our good friend Jimmy... I pulled out my copy of Troma's Tromeo & Juliet. I got this movie years ago when Troma first started to make movies on DVD and they had a blow-out sale on their DVDs for a short time where you could get any of that first line of DVDs for only 25¢ each. So naturally at a quarter a piece I got myself a good handful of dvds. unfortunately for myself... this movie is not to entertaining. The storyline leaves plenty to be desired. The acting is well less then par. But the effects while cheap are entertaining. I find Troma movies can really be hit or miss for "garbage entertainment"... this one for me is a miss. The most I can say about this one is some of the effects are entertaining... and there is some semi-nude women to look at as well. But I really can't complain too much about a movie that I only spent 25¢ on.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete