Author Topic: F***** Up Teenagers Marathon  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
F***** Up Teenagers Marathon
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:51:14 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Kids (1995)

Genre: Drama
Director: Larry Clark
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h31
Video: Widescreen
Audio: English
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Leo Fitzpatrick   
Justin Pierce
Chloe Sevigny
Yakira Peguero
Michele Lockwood

Plot:
Powerful and passionate, colorful and compelling, Larry Clark's KIDS is 24 frenetic hours in the life of a group of contemporary teenagers who, like all teenagers, believe they are invincible. With breathtaking images from one of the world's most renowned photographers, KIDS is a deeply affecting, no-holds-barred landscape of words and images, depicting with raw honesty and experiences, attitudes and uncertainties of innocence lost. KIDS gets under the skin and lingers, long after it is viewed. The kids at the core of the story are just that: teenagers living in the urban melee of modern-day America. But while these kids dwell in the big city, their story could, quite possibly, happen anywhere.

My Thoughts:
If you think the teenagers are annoying today check this film and you will see what is the meaning of useless and annoying. It doesn't mean that I think this about the movie, but about the way the teenagers are presented in it. This is probably a good representation of how the kids are in a big city (we talk of New York here), but certainly not how they were here than or even now. Most of the cast fall on my nerve (this is normal since I find the stupid teenagers annoying), but Chloe Sevigny really shined in this film and the fact that it was her first one is incredible (seriously, I can't understand why she doesn't go to bigger and better movies). Don't expect a feel good movie, in fact this is a depressing presentation of the young generation, but I have no problem to recommend this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Z_C4NXE2c

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: F***** Up Teenagers Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:50:10 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: A Better Place (1997)

Director: Vincent Pereira
Length: 1h25
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Eion Bailey   
Robert DiPatri
Carmen Llywelyn
Joseph Cassese
Brian Lynch

Plot:
Barret Michaelson (Robert DiPatri) is having a bad first day at his new high school - he is badgered, ridiculed and nearly beaten up. He finds an unlikely ally in local loner Ryan Walker (Eion Bailey, ALMOST FAMOUS and FIGHT CLUB), an intelligent but misanthropic youth with a dark family past. A friendship quickly develops, but Barret begins to worry as Ryan's philosophical rantings turn increasingly violent. When Barret does the unthinkable and makes peace with the local teenagers Ryan so despises, Ryan loses all control and attempts to drag Barret down into his world of hatred and destruction--and Barret must find a way to escape...

My Thoughts:
To be honest this marathon is an excuse for watching this movie that I didn't want to place in my regular thread since it deserve better than that. The director name is certainly familliar to you if you are a fan of Kevin Smith and I know that many here are. This movie was on my wishlist for a very long time and I've completly forgot about it untill a week ago when Pereira who is a member on another board where I'm a member had send a link to a new review for his movie. So lighted up and immediatly placed an order before I forgot again.

This is the first and only movie that Vincent Pereira had directed and don't ask me why because this film is a masterpiece. The story is so well develloped and well done that you can't take sides with no one and you aren't really able to hate a characters here, none of them are really responsible of who they are and what they will do. The story sounds cliché and in the hand of another director it could have been just another one. it isn't the case here, you are glued to your screen waiting and trying to guess what will happen. The 2 principal actors do a really good job for beginners : Eion Bailey had got a lot of works after this one, but Robert DiPatri had done nothing after and I don't understand why. You will see some familliar faces too like Jason Lee, Vincent Pereira, Scott Mosier and Ethan Suplee in small role.

I don't just recommand this movie, I say to go and buy it. You will thank me after for this.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Heart of America (2003)

Director: Uwe Boll
Rating: R
Length: 1h27
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Kett Turton   
Michael Belyea
Elisabeth Rosen
Brendan Fletcher
Jürgen Prochnow

Plot:
It's the last day of high school and the unthinkable is about to occur. Two seniors, with a murder/suicide pact, plan to take weapons to school to exact revenge on their abusers.

My Thoughts:
This movie is certainly the nearest that Boll had came to make a good movie for most people. The story is clear, make sense and not over the top. The acting isn't too bad, except for some overacting performances (mostly by the bullies). Clint Howard as one the kid father and Will Sanderson as an ex-bully does a pretty good acting job. The thing I appreciate is the fact that the students look like normal people, not like boring and good looking TV serie teenagers. You don't get the usual Boll's trademark of weird and unecessary camera trick, there is one exception but I don't see it as meaningless. The musical score is effective too, particullary the instrumental one they use for the openning and later when the killing start (sorry no idea of who played it).

I don't say that it's a perfect movie it had is defects. First the story follow to many characters, but this is a problem with every movie on the same subject. Secondly the casting of Brendan Fletcher in the role of the bullies leader, I usually like him but he isn't credible at all for the role he just doesn't look like a tough guy (even me I could be able to kick his ass and I ain't scary at all). But the most important problem is the end that is a complete let down after all the build up made before.

At least try a rent for this one, you could be surprise by Uwe Boll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewIrrzpfvk
Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Bully (2001)

Director: Larry Clark
Length: 1h53
Audio: English and Music Only
Subtitles: English and Spanish

Stars:
Brad Renfro   
Nick Stahl
Bijou Phillips
Rachel Miner
Leo Fitzpatrick

Plot:
Acclaimed director Larry Clark delivers his most powerful film since Kids. Marty (Brad Renfro) is a tormented surfer who, despite vicious abuse, relies on his longtime pal, Bobby (Nich Stahl), for rides to the beach and local South Florida bars. When Bobby turns his unwanted attention to Marty's new girlfriend Lisa (Rachel Miner) and her best friend Ally (Bijiou Phillips), Lisa decides Bobby's reign of terror must end. Assembling a crew of alienated suburban teens, she forms a deadly plan to get Bobby out of the way once and for all. As the conspiracy unfolds, friends turn into enemies and casual acquaintances become co-defendants to a murder that rocked America to its core.

My Thoughts:
This one is based on a true crime and it follows the testimony that the kids did at their trial. This explain why Bobby is painted as a real bad guy, seriously he is shown as a complete crazy menacing guy. But, the problem is that nothing is logic or believable in this story. Sorry, but the fact made no sense... Why you could continue to hang out with a friend who treat you bad, no link exist you don't depend on him in any way. But I ain't the only one who think that their story make no sense since they were all found guilty.

The film itself is a good one. The acting is good, particullary Rachel Miner that I've never seen act before (the only reason why I was knowing her name is because she was maried to Macaulay Culkin) and Brad Renfro (a perfect exemple of a good child actor who had turned bad getting the chance to revive his career with an independant movie, the result 7 years later he is dead of a drug overdose... What a waste of talent).

Another recommandation, but I have to warn you that this film countains a lot of nudity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8dLkbNq3fA
Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:59:28 AM »
It was a short one (started too late yesterday), but a good occasion to rewatch 3 movies that I've not rewatch since I've bought them. Plus, you see that I can watch mainstream and popular movie too like everybody :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »
You are calling Larry Clark and Uwe Boll makers of "mainstream and popular movies"...? I don't think so, seriously.

Larry Clark makes interesting films, but they are not anywhere near mainstream (I think maye "Another Day in Paradise" getting the closest) and I don't think Larry would want them there anyway.

I will not comment on Uwe :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
Compare to what I watch usually yes, but you're right maybe I could had used "". But Larry Clark is one of the big name in the independant circuit, no? His films even got theatrical release...

I've seen the trailer for Another Day in Paradise and it doesn't look good, I like James Woods (even if he always play James Woods) but Melanie Griffith in a Clark's movie :-\

I think that sometimes I'm too much of a fan of Uwe Boll :whistle:
Never wrote a bad review for one of his movie and I'm probably the only one who will buy his German movie if they were subtitled in english :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
Compare to what I watch usually yes, but you're right maybe I could had used "". But Larry Clark is one of the big name in the independant circuit, no? His films even got theatrical release...
I don't know the independant circle as much, but I'd agree he is one of the bigger names in there (proabably supported by the fact I know him in the first place).

I've seen the trailer for Another Day in Paradise and it doesn't look good, I like James Woods (even if he always play James Woods) but Melanie Griffith in a Clark's movie :-\
Well, as I said, it's probably his most mainstream effort. Quite alright actually. I forgot about Melanie Griffith's performance in it, it has been a while since I watched it...