Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon  (Read 22490 times)

lyonsden5

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
LOL... believe me... I think I have seen some jaws dropped that far in real life when I mentioned it.  :P

Speaking of jaws.... what would that movie be without the music? Not as suspenseful that's for sure. (Nice set up Pete :tease:)

RossRoy

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »
Speaking of jaws.... what would that movie be without the music?

And Jaws is far from the only example..

I don't remember where I saw that, but on a TV show, they wanted to show the effect of the music on a movie. So what they did is film a woman playing the piano, and you see a man through the window, outside, walking toward the door, getting in, and approach the woman with his hand in his back. They played it 4 times: Once without music, once with goofy/fun music, once with suspenseful music and finally with romantic music. They did that without showing what he has in his hands, and then asked people what they thought he had in his back. I'm sure you can figure out what was said with each music yourself ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
lol... after all these years I got to the point where I don't even notice it playing all that much... like I let it slip through one ear and out the other without even realizing it. It's like I am hearing it... but it isn't registering. So it is really like I don't know what I am missing. I basically just completely ignore it.

but I know what you mean about how it helps with certain scenes.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
I was thinking something similar to Sebastien. Pete, you must be wrong! I bet your subconscious doesn't mind music and responds to it just the same as "normal" people!  :tease: Here's a test: play the shower scene from Psycho, but with Laurel & Hardy's cuckoo theme. Still scary? No way!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
LOL... the shower scene is not scary to start with  :P

I am not saying music don't have it's place in movies and such... just saying that I personally ignore it... and I do not like music in general.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48:26 PM »
For those of you still not having this great series:
Amazon has the complete series (7 seasons) today as a One-Day Sale for $94.99!
So be fast, you won't regret it  :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 10:19:21 PM »
Yes... Highly Recommended!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:45 PM »
Roseanne is just full of Buffy people. First Joss as story editor in season 2. Now in season 3 there is a small appearance by Alyson Hannigan as a friend of Becky and of course Glenn Quinn (known as Doyle from Angel) as Becky's boyfriend Mark Healy.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:53 PM »
Season 6: Disc 3

8. Smashed
Spike discovers that his chip now allows him to hurt Buffy; it seems Buffy came back wrong somehow. Willow reverts Amy to human form and the two party with magic.

My Thoughts:
This was another good episode. Obviously Willow goes nuts with her magic addiction.

9. Wrecked
Willow nearly gets Dawn killed after going to see a warlock for a dose of magic, and thus decides to go told turkey on the magic.

My Thoughts:
This is also a good episode. This is the episode that Willow hits rock bottom.

10. Gone
A social services worker threatens to take guardianship of Dawn. Meanwhile, the Geek Trio accidentally turn Buffy invisible with a ray gun.

My Thoughts:
This is another one of those episodes that is little more then just fun. I try and try... but I just can't take the Trio seriously.

Season 6: Disc 4

11. Doublemeat Palace
The Slayer takes a job at a burger joint, and suspects that something demonic might be going on.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones that is a decent episode... but just nothing all that special about it. Just a basic good episode.

12. Dead Things
Warren kills Katrina and frames the Slayer for it.

My Thoughts:
Decent episode... and at least the Trio is finally seems somewhat evil and slightly more serious in this episode.

13. Older and Far Away
Dawn feels like the odd-girl out on Buffy's birthday, leading to a fateful wish that leaves the Slayer and her friends trapped in the Summers' home with a demon.

My Thoughts:
Ahhh.... Another Buffy Birthday episode... these are always entertaining. I felt they had a good concept for this one... and was really into it. Though I do have to admit I think the way it ended and how they finally got out of the house a little bit of a cop-out.

14. As You Were
Buffy is jolted by the reappearance of Riley, who needs her to help him - and his new wife - track a demon egg nest.

My Thoughts:
And Riley is back.... for what I believe is the final time in the rest of the series. Also (if I am not mistaking) the end of the Buffy/Spike sexapades.  A decent episode... though nothing too special.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 04:32:23 PM »
Season 6: Disc 5

15. Hell's Bells
On the day of his wedding, Xander gets cold feet after he's shown a disturbing glimpse into the future.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. This is another one that has a lot of comedy mixed in with the serious stuff.

16. Normal Again
A demon's venom causes Buffy to hallucinate, convincing the Slayer that she's a normal girl in a mental ward, that her parents are alive, Dawn never existed, and her Slayer life is a delusion.

My Thoughts:
This one I liked a lot... has always been one of my favorites. Even if this story line is used in every Sci-Fi/Supernatural Thriller series out there. Just off the top of my head I seen it in both Charmed and Smallville. But I think this episode was done well... I enjoyed every minute of it.

17. Entropy
Anya, secretly a demon again, attempts to get vengeance on Xander.

My Thoughts:
Enjoyable... but just a basic good episode... nothing extra special about it really.

18. Seeing Red
Warren acquires a pair of demonic orbs that imbue him with strength and invulnerability, and he faces off with Buffy.

My Thoughts:
Good episode... one that ends with the beginning of the true "Big Bad" of the season.

Season 6: Disc 6

19. Villains
Tara's sudden death pushes Willow over the edge. After magically saving Buffy from her own wounds, Willow - consumed by anger and dark magic - hunts down Warren and tortures and kills him.

My Thoughts:
I really hated seen Tara out of the show... but I have to admit... I loved Evil Willow... She is very cool when consumed by the magic like this... and looking for revenge.

20. Two to Go
Buffy and Xander must protect Jonathan and Andrew, who are next on Willow's list. The Slayer is no match for Willow, who has drained Rack of all his powers.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... Willow doing all she can to get to the final 2 members of the Trio geeks.

21. Grave
Giles faces off with Willow, but she drains him of his powers. This much power causes her to feel all the suffering in the world, so she decides to end it... the world, that is.

My Thoughts:
A great way to end the season... I loved how they finally ended  this one... with Willow being stopped without harming her... and with who stopped her. Definitely something not expected by the first time viewer.

Overall Season 6 Thoughts:
This season... in my opinion... is one that started out a bit on the slow side.. but really picked up quite a bit. By the end it has some of my favorite episodes with one of my favorite "Big Bads". Over all... well worth the time put into it to watch.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »
Season 7: Disc 1

1. Lessons
Buffy and Dawn fight off vengeful spirits in the newly rebuilt Sunnydale High.

My Thoughts:
This was a decent start to the new season... not the best of season premieres... but not bad either.

2. Beneath You
A giant worm-like creature begins stalking a young girl. As the gang begin to investigate, they realize it's appearance in Sunnydale may be linked to Anya

My Thoughts:
Once again.... not a great episode... but not bad either. A basic Buffy filler episode.

3. Same Time, Same Place
Buffy, Xander and Dawn are unable to find Willow, who has inadvertently made herself invisible to her friends, and vice versa. Willow's return to Sunnydale is marred further by a demon, Gnarl, who relishes the skin of his victims.

My Thoughts:
This is the first episode of the season I really enjoyed. Willow is back... and once again... magic goes wrong.

4. Help
Novice counselor Buffy begins trying to help the students at Sunnydale High, including Cassie Newton, a girl who predicts her own death.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... enjoyed it quite a bit. This one had Zachery Ty Bryon (Home Improvement) in it.

Season 7: Disc 2

5. Selfless
After Anya grants a particularly gruesome wish, Buffy feels that she must kill Anya.

My Thoughts:
Once again... a good episode.

6. Him
Dawn and Buffy fall for the school quarterback, whose jacket is enchanted.

My Thoughts:
A decent episode.... though nothing really special... just another basic filler episode.

7. Conversations with Dead People
Buffy chats with a former classmate and current vampire, Dawn is visited by Joyce, and Willow is visited by an imposter pretending to have a message from Tara.

My Thoughts:
Another one I enjoyed... was a really strong episode. I especially enjoyed the segments with Dawn and Joyce.

8. Sleeper
As Dawn and Willow recover from their chaotic night at the Summers house, Buffy probes a series of grisly murders that may be the work of Spike.

My Thoughts:
A good episode... starting to really set up the season long storyline by now.
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
I joked in the other thread about Buffy being the very absolute best TV show period. In reality, you have to have a fairer, more balanced opinion. After all, there's so much stuff out there and you have to keep it in context. So I was wrong and I should refine what I said. It's actually Buffy Season Two. It just doesn't get better. It is utterly sublime. I just wanted to set the record straight! :P
For me, it is S1. I really like S2, and I think the Innocence,  Passion, Becoming arc surpasses S1. There are also certain individual episodes in later seasons that I rate pretty high. But when taking the *entire* season into account, S1 is my clear favorite.

There is a tendency even by die-hard Buffy fans to disregard S1 as fluffy or lightweight (outsiders think of the entire series that way, I suppose). That viewpoint always amazes me. I mean, you practically get it hammered in with the very first episode that you have to look beneath the *surface* of that bright and sunny California town. Consequently, you often get only a glimpse of the serious stuff and only in passing. And while the stories are seemingly simple, it is a careful constructed simplicity, intended to highten the metaphors and to allow a more complex web of associations.

Anyway, I wouldn't go as far as calling Buffy (or a specific season of Buffy) the best TV show. It's not even my favorite TV show anymore. But it remains a very special one.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I would never dismiss season 1. It's just I think they were more settled and ambitious for season 2 and made the characters exactly what they wanted them to be. I always thought it was a shame they couldn't keep the Master for another season as he was such a good example of classic vampire lore. As seasons wore on, they got less consistent, but it's episodes like Hush proved the quality beyond anyone else. As I was saying the other day, I really do think that The Body is the pinnacle of TV writing. Of course, that's only TV that I have seen!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:04:23 AM by Najemikon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
I agree... I loved the first season... but for me personally the show really came into it's own in the second season. The first season being so short didn't help it either... I mean it didn't really have the time to get the characters settled in the way the way most season 1 series are able to do.

I also would have loved to seen The Master go on for another season... he was one of my favorite of the "Big Bads"... but of course as much as I would have liked to seen that happen... I wouldn't want to give up seeing Angel going bad to get it.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »
Season 7: Disc 3

9. Never Leave Me
Spike is held captive in the Summers home while the Scoobies ponder their options in the aftermath of his murder spree.

My Thoughts:
Decent episode with some good action.... other then that a pretty basic episode.

10. Bring On the Night
Giles arrives with three apprentice Slayers, the Scoobies research the origins of the First to find a way to rescue Spike, and Buffy fights the Ubervamp.

My Thoughts:
And the "Potential Slayers" has arrived. I remember the first time I seen this season (as it aired) I wasn't so sure about this storyline... but I grew to enjoy it very much. I also thought that the Ubervamp... as they call it... was extremely cool. did a great job on him.

11. Showtime
Buffy stages a showdown with the Ubervamp with the Slayers-in-training as her audience, then rescues Spike.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I really liked... the final fight between Buffy and the Ubervamp was great.

Season 7: Disc 4

12. Potential
Buffy and Spike establish a boot camp to prepare the potential slayers for combat with the First, while a spell from Willow reveals another potential living in Sunnydale.

My Thoughts:
This episode was really good. I especially enjoyed watching the scenes where Dawn and her school friend goes up against the vampire at the school by themselves. Not to mention finding out who the new potential slayer is.

13. The Killer in Me
Courtesy of a bitter Amy, Willow turns into Warren after kissing Kennedy; Buffy contacts the government to get help with Spike's misfiring chip.

My Thoughts:
This was a decent episode... Advances the season long story a little... but for the most part is a stand alone episode.

14. First Date
Buffy accepts a dinner invitation from Principal Wood, who reveals that he's a former Slayer's son.

My Thoughts:
A decent episode... Xander has his normal luck with the ladies in this one.

15. Get It Done
The Scoobies are rocked by a suicide within their ranks. After lambasting everyone, Buffy jumps through a portal on a quest for knowledge.

My Thoughts:
Another decent episode...I understand they had to get all this stuff in... but this season is really strong on the season long storyline.... and sometimes that gets a little tiring. I felt that a bit in this episode.
Pete