Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 98288 times)

MEJHarrison

Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
I don't have any lesbian movies I'm aware of.  So this thread is quite interesting!

But I'm am currently watching season 1 of The L Word.  And enjoying it far more than I thought I would.  It doesn't hurt that there are naked girls every 5-10 minutes  :hysterical:, but even without that, I'm finding it to be very good.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »
I had watched the first season of "L Word" but then I stopped. I don't like series, where there are trying to establish couples, and then after they got together, they tear them apart again. It's too much like a soap opera.
As far as I know an example for it (I will put it in spoilers, because it will spoil later seasons):

(click to show/hide)

Another reason I stopped watching is, that there were too many characters I didn't like to watch. From the first season I liked Dana, Shane, Alice and Lara. And always when other characters' storylines went on, I got bored.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »

Title: Bound
Year: 1996
Director: Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski
Rating: 18
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Gina Gershon
Jennifer Tilly
Joe Pantoliano
Mary Mara
Susie Bright

Plot:
There's $2 million dollars in a suitcase on a desk in an apartment in Chicago...

Ceasar (Joe Pantoliano) launders money for the Mob. Violet (Jennifer Tilly) is his alluring Mafia Moll. Corky (Gina Gershon) is an ex-con who just got out of the joint.

What's the last thing that could come between a sleazy wise guy like Ceasar and all that money? A couple of women with bodies to die for and brains to match. They become engulfed in a physical attraction that spurs them to relieve Violet's boyfriend of the $2 million in cash.

Corky and Violet are about to learn the meaning of trusting someone with your life. And Ceasar? He's about to learn a little something about women. In the end, it all comes down to one question...

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A fun caper movies with some beautiful women. Especially Gina Gershon is very hot in this movie.
What I like about this movie is, that the two women came out as winners in the movie, because they trusted each other, whereas everyone else was distrustful of each other.
Also great performance by Joe Pantoliano as Caesar!

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »

Title: Lost and Delirious
Year: 2001
Director: Léa Pool
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Piper Perabo
Jessica Paré
Mischa Barton
Jackie Burroughs
Mimi Kuzyk

Plot:
A newcomer to a girl's boarding school is befriended by her two new roommates, and later discovers they are lovers. When one of the lovers decides she doesn't dare continue the relationship, the other becomes desperate in her attempts to win her back.

Extras:
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Piper Perabo is great as the love-sick Paulie. This movie is good, but like many dramatic lesbian movies, it ends in tragedy. I am more a sucker for happy endings. This is probably why I enjoy romantic comedies more, than I do romantic drama movies.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »
As I watched this one recently, I will re-post my other review here to have it at the same thread, as my other lesbian themed movies.

Title: Itty Bitty Titty Committee
Year: 2007
Director: Jamie Babbit
Rating: NR
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Melonie Diaz
Ana Mercedes
Cecile Rivorce
Marisa Ramirez
Ruben Garfias

Plot:
This latest fabulous movie from Jamie Babbit (But I'm a Cheerleader) is a dynamic, romantic, funny and politically astute movie with a smart script, rockin' soundtrack and terrific ensemble cast that includes sexy young Melonie Diaz as the new grrrl on the block who falls in with a great gang of feisty feminists and then falls in love with leader of the pack, Nicole Vicius. Unfortunately, Nicole has a girlfriend - Melanie Mayron - and, as they say, drama ensues. With Carly Pope, Daniela Sea, Guinevere Turner, Deak Evgenikos, Jenny Shimizu and Lauren Mollica.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
From the director "But I'm a Cheerleader". While that one has its charm, as its premise cannot be taken seriously, and therefore is a fun comedy to watch, this movie on the other hand takes itself too seriously.
During most of the movie, many of the main characters are unlikeable and their actions are pure vandalism.
The movie picks up a little towards the end, when tension in the group breaks them up for awhile and also the finale is a little fun.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
Are you planning to watch Lesbian Vampire Killers as the grand finale to this marathon, Tom? :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Are you planning to watch Lesbian Vampire Killers as the grand finale to this marathon, Tom? :laugh:

Don't count on it  :tease:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »
Title: Lost and Delirious

Piper Perabo is great as the love-sick Paulie.

She is absolutely terrific. Sadly, she never again got a role as good as this one (at least that I know of).
Matthias

lovemunkey187

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »
a couple of suggestions to add to your marathon.

Mulholland Dr.
Chasing Amy
Wild Things

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
Mullholland Dr. and Chasing Amy are already on my list.
Wild Things I do not have. Is it really a lesbian movie? I have never seen it, but I always had the impression, that besides the famous kissing scene in the pool, this movie has nothing to do with lesbians.

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
Wild Things is a actually a decent little thriller. Predictable, exploitive, trashy, but never takes itself seriously. The story at one point does hang on a bit of lesbianism beyond the snog, but I don't think it's enough to get into a marathon like this because it isn't a theme of the film.

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
By the way, Tom, I was disappointed you stuck with a traditional rating method. When Pete does a themed marathon, he picks appropriate icons. Might I suggest you at least update yours with nom-nom's out of 5?

So a bad lesbian film would be: "nom-nom" and a good lesbian would be -I mean a good lesbian "film" would be: "nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom"...

You already have the correct icon too:  :P

:devil:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
By the way, Tom, I was disappointed you stuck with a traditional rating method. When Pete does a themed marathon, he picks appropriate icons.
I am way too lazy for something like this  :laugh:

You already have the correct icon too:  :P

I think that icon would be too rude  :tease:
In my opinion that would lower this marathon to a level, I didn't intend to  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »
How about these? ;)

(they are online, and ready to go, if you want to use them - or anyone else for that matter)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 10:29:40 PM »

Title: Fucking Åmål
Year: 1998
Director: Lukas Moodysson
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.66
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Swedish: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Alexandra Dahlström
Rebecca Liljeberg
Erica Carlson
Mathias Rust
Stefan Hörberg

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great movie! It was at least the fifth time I have watched it (I didn't keep track of my watched dates until a few years ago).
The movie (or rather its title), caused a minor controversy in the other forum recently. Just to be clear: Åmål is a small town in Sweden and not a person. Knowing this it's quite clear what the title wants to convey.

Elin is sick of small town life. To get some excitement, she acts on a dare to kiss Agnes, an outsider rumored to be a lesbian. She feels bad after it and goes to Agnes to apologize and gets to know her better. She finds out, that she really likes her but gets scared what that could mean.

The cover says "the answer to American Pie", but this movie doesn't have anything common with American Pie. It's a quite realistic portrayal of teenage life and problems.

As soon as there is a new DVD/Blu-ray release, I will double-dip instantly. The picture quality is not that good. It's non-anamorphic and grainy. I can handle the grain though. Somehow it adds charm to this movie.

Rating: