Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 97725 times)

Critter

Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
In that case you should definitely check out Gia! It's really interesting, sort of like a biopic/documentary but it all works, and it's one of Angelina Jolie's few films that in my opinion... doesn't suck. Also I notice you have done a few series in this marathon. Would you consider reviewing any yuri anime films or series.?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:06 AM »
In that case you should definitely check out Gia! It's really interesting, sort of like a biopic/documentary but it all works, and it's one of Angelina Jolie's few films that in my opinion... doesn't suck.

Or...
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,3213.msg90238.html#msg90238

That's just IMHO of course... and probably means that Tom will like it.  :devil:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:21:41 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2010, 02:48:40 AM »
Haha as a film in general I admit it wasn't anything outstanding. I think I just love seeing Angelina Jolie and Elizabeth Mitchell together in a film you know  ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »
Would you consider reviewing any yuri anime films or series.?

I have reviewed Kashimashi in the past. I plan to rewatch it someday and include it in this marathon. I was considering buying Strawberry Panic, but for some reason never came around to it. If you have other good recommendations, I am all ears (it has to be available on DVD though).

Critter

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
Strawberry Panic is awful! In my opinion anyway. It was just an excuse for having yuri, there was hardly any storyline and the episodes just bored me, I couldn't even get through it. There actually isn't that many Yuri anime, not that I have seen anyway. Kannazuki no Miko is a short series, only about 6 episodes I think. It's okay, I didn't really take to it that much but surprisingly it's a favourite amoungst yuri fans all over, I dunno maybe I missed something. My favourite yuri stories are always in shows where they are secondary elements, or even just subtext. Noir, El Cazador de la Bruja, Madlax and Mai-Hime are all fantastic series for yrui subext or secondary yuri characters. Mai-Hime especially has my favourite yuri couple, but they don't really come in until later on in the series. Also Revolutionary Girl Utena is always worth a watch, it's a bit different but is a fantastic example of a yuri show that doesn't suck for a change. Oh also I just remembered Kiddy Grade! I really recommend this one, it's mainly subtext yuri, which is only maintext a couple of times but it's just a fantastic show altogether, one of my faves!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:55:25 AM by Critter »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »
I have seen Noir. I enjoyed it for the yuri content, but otherwise it was a little too slow for me. In my opinion they could have made the pacing faster and brought the series down to 13 instead of 24 episodes.
I think a friend of mine mentioned Kiddy Grade in the past, but don't remember if he enjoyed it or not.

I will keep a look out for some of the ones you mentioned.

Critter

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2010, 07:07:42 AM »
Tom, I just thought I would share this trailer with you for a film I just found. Looks pretty good, sort of like a lesbian 'Pride and Predjudice.'
It's a BBC production and might still be airing, or maybe it hasn't even aired yet, I'm not sure, either way the BBC sure do love their period dramas.

The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:21:01 AM by Critter »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »

I know that I haven't seen this movie, but watching the trailer it seems so familiar. Like I already have seen it. Maybe it reminds of "Fingersmith".

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:03 PM »

Title: And Then Came Lola
Year: 2009
Director: Ellen Seidler, Megan Seiler
Rating: 15
Length: 70 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English: DTS 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English, German

Stars:
Ashleigh Sumner
Jill Bennett
Cathy DeBuono
Jessica Graham
Angelyna Martinez

Plot:
Sizzling lesbian newcomer Ashleigh Summer takes the leading role as Lola alongside cult lesbian heartthrobs Jill Bennett (Dante's Cove), Cathy DeBuono (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Out At The Wedding) and Jessica Graham (2 Minutes Later) in this sexy lesbian romp inspired by the classic Run Lola Run.

Sassy lesbian photographer Lola is on the verge of success in both love and work, yet she could lose it all if she doesn't make it on time to a crucial meeting with her girlfriend. But, as usual, Lola is late! Racing through the streets of San Francisco, Lola gets into an ever increasing number of outrageous scrapes involving ex-lovers, wannabe girlfriends and part-time stalkers. As the clock counts down, Lola realises that it will take more than one chance to make this date...

Awards:
Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Picture-in-picture
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I didn't really enjoy this movie. I found the story boring. I didn't feel any real chemistry between the actresses. And how come that in movies made by lesbians there only seem to be lesbians and hardly any straight characters? Every woman Lola encounters in San Francisco is gay.
The girlfriend of Lola is really hot though.

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »
Haha I haven't seen this film but I have seen the trailer for it and don't really want to. It's what happens when a group of lesbians who aren't even actors get together with a tiny budget, and think they can make a film. Jill Bennet and Cathy DeBuono have quite following online for their weblogs etc that are watched by hundreds of people every week. They are both psychiatrists mainly but like to have a jab at acting as well. Really I think they should stick to the therapy.

I know that I haven't seen this movie, but watching the trailer it seems so familiar. Like I already have seen it. Maybe it reminds of "Fingersmith".

The trailer reminded me of Fingersmith also, but that must just be the setting, It's not often that you see lesbian films or series in that perdiod time setting so I suppose it's a good thing we are seeing another. I will give this one a chance when I can get my hands on it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »

Title: I Can't Think Straight
Year: 2008
Director: Shamim Sarif
Rating: 12
Length: 79 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Lisa Ray
Sheetal Sheth
Antonia Frering
Dalip Tahil
Nina Wadia

Plot:
Tala, a London-based Palestinian, is preparing for her elaborate Middle Eastern wedding when she meets Leyla, a young British Indian woman who is dating her best friend.

Spirited Christian Tala and shy Muslim Leyla could not be more different from each other, but the attraction is immediate and goes deeper than friendship. But Tala is not ready to accept the implications of the choice her heart has made for her and escapes back to Jordan, while Leyla tries to move on with her new-found life, to the shock of her tradition-loving parents.

As Tala's wedding day approaches, simmering tensions come to boiling point and the pressure mounts for Tala to be true to herself.
Moving between the vast enclaves of Middle Eastern high society and the stunning backdrop of London's West End, I Can't Think Straight explores the clashes between East and West, love and marriage, conventions and individuality, creating a humerous and tender story of unexpected love and unusual freedoms.

Awards:
Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The story could have been told much more interesting, but this movie and the script is quite amateurish. The overview of the cover summarizes the whole movie.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
Tom, I just thought I would share this trailer with you for a film I just found. Looks pretty good, sort of like a lesbian 'Pride and Predjudice.'
It's a BBC production and might still be airing, or maybe it hasn't even aired yet, I'm not sure, either way the BBC sure do love their period dramas.

This is getting trailered pretty heavily, so it's due this week I think. I'd tell you what it is like, but I doubt I'll be watching it! Never been one for costume dramas, but to be fair, the clips make it seem more modern in dialogue than I'd usually expect. Apparently it is a true story, so maybe that has something to do with it, that it was written by a real person, if you know what I mean.

Critter

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
Yeah I read that it was based off Anne Listers real diaries. Apparently they are over 4 million words long or something so it took them years to work through it, but some of the dialogue in the film is taken straight from the diaries apparently.

Critter

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:17 AM »

My Thoughts:
The story could have been told much more interesting, but this movie and the script is quite amateurish. The overview of the cover summarizes the whole movie.

Rating:

I really wanted to see this one when I saw the trailer ages ago but this review has left me less enthused to watch it. I think I have seen a couple of other negative reviews as well. I will probably see it eventually but at the moment I am in no hurry.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »

This is getting trailered pretty heavily, so it's due this week I think. I'd tell you what it is like, but I doubt I'll be watching it! Never been one for costume dramas, but to be fair, the clips make it seem more modern in dialogue than I'd usually expect. Apparently it is a true story, so maybe that has something to do with it, that it was written by a real person, if you know what I mean.

Due to be shown tonight, 31st May 2010, at 21:00 on BBC2 and BBC HD, with a documentary afterwards.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.