Author Topic: Movies Based on True Stories  (Read 3324 times)

Najemikon

Re: Movies Based on True Stories
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »
Quick question... I am going over the movies that I ordered this month.

I got Awakenings... that one was easy since it says it right on the cover.  :P But I thought I remembered readings somewhere that Good Morning, Vietnam was based on a true story as well. According to IMDB... it says Based On Distorted Reality. So what the hell is that?  :P I mean is this one based on a true story or isn't it?

Thanks!  :)

Wikipedia, font of all knowledge! ;) I knew the story was based on Adrian Cronauer, but wasn't sure how much had been changed. I'm none the wiser really.  :bag:

In 1979, Adrian Cronauer decided to pitch a sitcom based on his experiences as an AFRS DJ. TV networks were not interested because they did not see war as comedy material, despite the fact that one of the most popular shows at the time was M*A*S*H. Cronauer then revamped his sitcom into a script for a movie of the week, which eventually got the attention of Robin Williams. Very little of Cronauer's original treatment remained after writer Mitch Markowitz was brought in.

I'm not sure if "True Story" is misleading in this case...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
Quote from: Jon quoting Wikipedia
TV networks were not interested because they did not see war as comedy material, despite the fact that one of the most popular shows at the time was M*A*S*H.
Not comedy material...

What about "Hogan's Heroes"? Different time when political corectness doesn't exist and certainly a better time...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »
Quick question... I am going over the movies that I ordered this month.

I got Awakenings... that one was easy since it says it right on the cover.  :P But I thought I remembered readings somewhere that Good Morning, Vietnam was based on a true story as well. According to IMDB... it says Based On Distorted Reality. So what the hell is that?  :P I mean is this one based on a true story or isn't it?

Thanks!  :)

Wikipedia, font of all knowledge! ;) I knew the story was based on Adrian Cronauer, but wasn't sure how much had been changed. I'm none the wiser really.  :bag:

In 1979, Adrian Cronauer decided to pitch a sitcom based on his experiences as an AFRS DJ. TV networks were not interested because they did not see war as comedy material, despite the fact that one of the most popular shows at the time was M*A*S*H. Cronauer then revamped his sitcom into a script for a movie of the week, which eventually got the attention of Robin Williams. Very little of Cronauer's original treatment remained after writer Mitch Markowitz was brought in.

I'm not sure if "True Story" is misleading in this case...

Sounds like a real toss-up on this one. Will have to think about what I want to do.  :P
Pete