Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382145 times)

Najemikon

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #435 on: October 27, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
If anything I had a slight problem with the very last scene of the film, which I obviously can't descibe here.
In the book this last scene is not in it. And I agree, that this scene does not really fit with the rest of the movie. But I can live with it.
(click to show/hide)

I disagree.
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #436 on: October 27, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
If anything I had a slight problem with the very last scene of the film, which I obviously can't descibe here.
In the book this last scene is not in it. And I agree, that this scene does not really fit with the rest of the movie. But I can live with it.
(click to show/hide)

I disagree.
(click to show/hide)

I disagree with your disagreement.
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

I disagree.
(click to show/hide)

I disagree with your disagreement.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 28, 2009, 05:10:54 AM »
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #439 on: November 23, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »

Title: The Dark Knight

Runtime:152
Certificate:12
Year:2008
Genres:Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Plot:The follow-up to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective. But soon the three find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker, who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante.

My Review:
Did the movie improve or worsen from my original review of the film HERE by watching it on BluRay?
It was noticably crisper and more vivid of course, the jokers nake-up was much more prominent, the characters facial expressions more graphoc, but the biggest improvement seemed to be the audio, which literally pumped me out of the seat at times with some incredibly heavy bass and pure HD sound. My previous review stands, it just made a superb film even better, and for a bluray at less than £7 I am really happy
My Rating
 :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
Did you feel the film could have ended about an hour and a half in? I thought Dark Knight was an hour too long :p

richierich

« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
Did you feel the film could have ended about an hour and a half in? I thought Dark Knight was an hour too long :p

Unlike the hitchcock film I reviewed recently, I thought this was the 'perfect length' (I managed to avoid an irresistable urge to use a carry-on pun here :devil: )

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 23, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
This has been on my unwatched pile for too long... How did you like the effect where they open up the frame from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1, just like what they did in the IMAX theaters? I am so looking forward to that.

richierich

« Reply #443 on: November 23, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
This has been on my unwatched pile for too long... How did you like the effect where they open up the frame from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1, just like what they did in the IMAX theaters? I am so looking forward to that.

I have to be honest, I didn't notice  :-[

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #444 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
I only noticed it, because I knew beforehand.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2009, 05:40:30 AM »
I have to be honest, I didn't notice  :-[

I only noticed it, because I knew beforehand.

I guess that's actually the point. If it is done well and fluidly integrated than the difference should not be noticable consciously. Like Tom, I know about this beforehand, so I wil see it...

richierich

« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »

Title: I, Robot

Runtime:110
Certificate:15
Year:2004
Genres:Science-Fiction, Suspense/Thriller, Action

Plot:In 2035 A.D., robots are programmed to live in harmony with humans and are part of every day life.  When a brilliant scientist at the U.S. Robotics Corporation is found dead, Chicago Detective Del Spooner (Will Smith) is called in to investigate.  Aided by robot psychologist Dr. Susan Calvin (Bridget Moynahan), Detective Spooner uncovers the possibility that a robot may be the primary suspect in the case.  But as Spooner gets closer to the truth, he gets caught up in a race for his life.  With time running out, a deeper threat emerges that challenges the very existence of mankind.

My Review:
Well-known film, picked at random in company.
There is plenty of corn in this movie, but if you can accept the tongue-in-cheek script the special effects, innovative ideas and fluid pace make this a very enjoyable viewing.
This may not be as intense as Blade Runner or explore the humanisation of robots as much as AI, but it delivers thrills and action the whole way through, with some very memorable moments such as the 1000 (1001) robots in the warehouse, the tunnel scene, and for me the facial expressions of Sonny which are amazing.
A blast with Smith in his element and Moynahan keeping good company, I expect everyone has like me seen this movie more than once - if you haven't you won't be disappointed.
My Rating
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #447 on: November 27, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »

Title: Brüno

Runtime:78
Certificate:18
Year:2008
Genres:Comedy

Plot:VE ALL KNOW FAME IS THE PATH TO HAPPINESS, SO VHEN ZE AUSTRIAN PUBLIC GET ALL JEALOUS AND BOYCOTT ME, I REALIZE IT’S TIME FOR BRÜNO TO TAKE OVER ZE WORLD!
I GO TO ZE MIDDLE EAST TO HELP, I JOIN ZE AMERICAN ARMY, GO TO SWINGERS PARTIES,
DO THE TALK SHOWS, EVEN GO CAMPING WITH GRIZZLY BOYFRIENDS
– PLUS ZE ACCESSORY YOU SHOULDN’T BE SEEN WIVOUT – ZE LITTLE BLACK BABY.
VASSEVER – SO HOW FAMOUS YOU THINK BRÜNO BECOME? PUT IT ZIS WAY– NEXT YEAR
YOU ALL BE LIKE ADOLF WHO??!!??

My Review:
One of the worst films I have ever seen, sick and tasteless, Cohen believes he is something special now, but has clearly run out of ideas and even his cheap tacky humour has sunk to an all time low where he thinks staged shock scenes and shots of his cock will raise publicity and laughter.
This will offend all, without the edgy comedy that he brought with Ali G and Borat, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Totally bereft of any intelligence or planning in the 'script', it stumbles from one appallingly staged scene to the next.
Redefines a bad film - do not waste your time or money.
My Rating
 :yucky:

richierich

« Reply #448 on: November 29, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

Title: Sleepless in Seattle

Runtime:101
Certificate:PG
Year:1993
Genres:Comedy, Romance

Plot:Christmas is a magical time when anything can happen. And for Annie Reed (Meg Ryan), a down-to-earth newspaper reporter, it's just about to.
Whilst driving to her fiancé's house on Christmas Eve, she hears a radio broadcast that will change her life.
Eight-year-old Jonah is worried about his recently widowed father, and calls a radio station agony aunt. Persuaded onto the phone, Jonah's dad Sam (Tom Hanks) tells of his love for his dead wife and how their time together was pure magic.
Annie is so touched by his heartfelt sentiment that she becomes determined to meet him. But there are a few problems: Sam's in Seattle, Annie's in Baltimore...and Sam doesn't even know that Annie exists!

My Review:
Note to self - hide remote controls when girlfriend visiting
Forced Chose to watch this sloppy romance again, on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon. It delivers exactly what it says on the tin, lots of romance, weepy moments, lumps in throat musical inserts, top cast list and a few make you smile moments.
Not much more I can say about such a well known film, except if I am being honest it is pretty watchable, and it is enjoyable for all viewers without engaging the brain too much.
My Rating
 :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:22:48 PM by Rich »

Rogmeister

« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »
I like this movie, though probably not as much as You've Got Mail since Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are apart during most of the movie.  One of these days, though, I have to see Joe Vs. The Volcano  :laugh:  I think my favorite scene in Sleepless In Cincinatti might be the scene where Rita Wilson is talking about the movie An Affair To Remember...