Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 381734 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »
Another review I have to look forward to. This one I at least heard of... but haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

Again Pete, you should save your money, this is the lovely Sandra in a very poor film IMO

Thanks Rich... that is unfortunate. I actually had hoped this one would be good.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2009, 01:23:51 AM »
Another review I have to look forward to. This one I at least heard of... but haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

Again Pete, you should save your money, this is the lovely Sandra in a very poor film IMO

Thanks Rich... that is unfortunate. I actually had hoped this one would be good.

Don't just go by me Pete, I'd hate for you to miss a film which you may like. It is highly rated on epinions - http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/mvie_mu-1082975

Najemikon

« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2009, 02:30:36 AM »
I was actually going to say that while it doesn't sound like my sort of film, Riches review suggests it's ok for a certain audience and I suspect Pete can be a soppy old bugger who'd quite like it...  ;)

richierich

« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »
Brotherhood Of The Wolf

A dangerous, thrilling mystery of chilling proportions, BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF leaps from the screen with breathtaking action and incredible suspense blended with high-flying martial arts excitement.
When a mysterious beast ravages the countryside, two unlikely heroes are called in to fight the evil. The only way they can save the land from this unspeakable terror is to face their greatest fears, unearth a dark power and reveal a deadly secret. Harry Knowles of Aintitcoolnews.com raves, "A Remarkable Film. As Cool As They Come!"

A remarkable mix of fact and fiction, a fantasy like film involving martial arts, witchcraft, an indian, hero and heroine, and of course the French fabled beast from the 18th century.
Despite all of this it is incredibly dull, hollow and ridiculous. The plot is predictable, the acting average at best, and the direction weak. I would rate a hammer house of horror above this attempt, as it spiralled downhill after the first quarter of an hour. The scenery is pleasant, some of the effects inspiring, but the length of the film is truly painful and a marathon to endure.
 :yawn:

**Monica Bellucci mini-marathon

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:41:37 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #364 on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
She Hate Me

When biotech exec Jack (Anthony Mackie, 8 Mile) blows the whistle on his greedy drug-conglomerate bosses (Woody Harrelson, Natural Born Killers and Ellen Barkin, Sea of Love) over an insider-trading scandal, he gets more than he bargained for. Once this playa is played, he finds himself hitting rock bottom when an old flame, Fatina (Kerry Washington, Save the Last Dance) blows back into his life with the ultimate job offer: father her child, no strings attached. Teaming up to turn the tables on corporate culture, he sets up shop as a stud-for-hire at 10 G's a pop for a bevy of wealthy lesbians. When Jack delivers the goods, even his ex's glamazon gal pals can't resist his considerable...charms. Torn between love and money, Jack chases his American Dream all the way to the bank. But things heat up when Jack impregnates the Mafia daughter (Monica Bellucci, The Matrix Reloaded) of a notorious boss (John Turturro, Secret Window), triggering the FBI to expose Jack's cash-cow scheme.

A Spike Lee film again about minorities (lesbians), but ended up more like a male fantasy!
It is a bizarre mix of sexual politics and big business, and at times you have to wonder whether a message is trying to come through the film in subliminal form. After half an hour or so, as the lead finds a new occupation in life having sex with beautiful lesbians to impregnate them (at times quite graphic) for $10k a time, it feels a bit pervy. Throw in cartoon sperm (not literally), an artsy feel at times, and certainly a few erotic scenes. Then near the end it all gets a bit strange and emotional as he is involved in a menage-a-trois with the main lesbian couple, and Dad to the 2 kids they have had from his seed.
It must be humiliating for a real lesbian if they saw this film, as it basically says that a handsome man with big 'equipment' would immediately make them go like a train and realise what they are missing! And the ending scenes are truly cringe-worthy.
Saying all of the above, it was still watchable in an odd way, and I especially recommend this to Tom for his lesbian marathon.
 :D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:55:11 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
I was actually going to say that while it doesn't sound like my sort of film, Riches review suggests it's ok for a certain audience and I suspect Pete can be a soppy old bugger who'd quite like it...  ;)

:laugh:

Will keep it in mind... and may pick it up if I can get it cheap.  :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:11 AM »
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
:o

Wow, you sure left not a single good hair on the film in your review...

I remember it fairly exciting and while maybe a little too long I don't really recal that to be a major bother. maybe I should rewatch...

richierich

« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
Brotherhood Of The Wolf

I remember it fairly exciting and while maybe a little too long I don't really recal that to be a major bother. maybe I should rewatch...

I really wanted to love this film - and the beginning I found really inspiring
(click to show/hide)
but it just drifted away from me and it all got rather silly. At one point it even appeared as if Mad Max fashion had crept into the movie.
Doubt if I will return to this one - it just wasn't my cup of tea   :shrug:

richierich

« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »
The Passion of the Christ

From Academy Award®-Winning director Mel Gibson comes a profound story of courage and sacrifice depicting the final twelve hours in the life of Jesus Christ.
Featuring stunning cinematography and an inspired performance by Jim Caviezel, The Passion of the Christ is a triumphant and uncompromising filmmaking achievement.

Brutal, graphic, relentless and compelling. It is beautifully shot, but the level of violence is so extreme you become numbed by it, and I had a bad taste in my mouth after watching this. The Aramaic and Latin dialogue is not distracting if you are happy with subtitles, and the acting from the whole cast is top drawer. It is certainly moving in it's depiction of a man being tortured and killed in such an extreme nature, however Gibson perhaps lingers too much on this graphic display of suffering.
Not sure why there was such controversy over this film, perhaps the depiction of jews as evil antagonists, the Romans (aside from Pilate and his wife) as brutal drunkard sadists, or the 'historical accuracy'? The flashbacks of Jesus of Nazareths early life are far too infrequent reliefs from the violence, too short, and haphazard. When the cruxifixion finally takes place you are so used to the brutality that it has less shock appeal than I would have thought, and the ending could not come quick enough.
I am glad I have watched this, I can't say it was a pleasure, more of an experience.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:04:06 AM by Rich »

RossRoy

« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
Brotherhood Of The Wolf

I'm with you on that. I remember liking the movie very much. I may have to revisit. I haven't seen it for a while.

richierich

« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »
Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Land That Time Forgot

This modern adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ classic novel finds the crew of a ship in the middle of a mysterious storm. They black out and wake up on the shore of an uncharted island. When they go exploring, they soon discover that the island is inhabited by prehistoric beasts... and a boat-load of Nazis. With two enemies to keep at bay, the crew tries to find a way off the island before becoming dinosaur lunch.

I assume an intentional B movie style, the 'creatures' are hysterically poor, the budget must have been bottom drawer, the acting is a mixture of ham and cheese, and the target audience clearly circa 10 year old boys with vivid imaginations.
If this was made seriously then it misses the mark by a massive mile, and I could list here forever the faults of the film such as awful effects, a friendly bunch of nazi inhabitants, and woeful adaptation.etc etc etc
However I prefer to treat this as a fun and tongue in cheek cheapie offering, that left me with a smile on my face through it's sheer awfulness.
 :-\
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:17:14 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2009, 01:21:14 AM »
I Am Sam

Sean Penn and Michelle Pfeiffer give career-defining performances in this humorous and heartwarming story about a mentally challenged father who enlists the aid of a high-powered attorney to help him regain the custody of his daughter. An all-star supporting cast and a spectacular soundtrack complete this unforgettable story of life, love and laughter!

Touching movie, totally dominated by the 2 wonderful performances of Penn and Pfeiffer. Add in Dakota Fanning as the daughter, and the mix of cast worked tremendously well together in a project clearly all were enthused about.
A whole range of emotions are pulled from you during this movie, many happy, laugh out loud moments, especially with Sam Dawsons troop of friends in court. Then of course there are the lump in the throat, something in my eye moments which litter the film.
Sure it's a manipulative tear-jerker, exploited to the full by Hollywood, 'well it worked for Hoffman' negative comments that could be thrown at the film.
But personally I enjoyed it, I thought the performances were admirable, and it just stayed below the 'too sickly' borderline.

**Laura Dern mini-marathon
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:24:40 PM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22:07 AM »
I Am Sam
Full retard = no Oscar

:tomato:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

...the target audience clearly circa 10 year old boys with vivid imaginations.

...that left me with a smile on my face through it's sheer awfulness.

Hmmm I wonder if one has anything to do with the other? :devil:

richierich

« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »

...the target audience clearly circa 10 year old boys with vivid imaginations.

...that left me with a smile on my face through it's sheer awfulness.

Hmmm I wonder if one has anything to do with the other? :devil:

You don't know how close you are Kath!!  :hysterical: