Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 381702 times)

Najemikon

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »
Petrolhead and car chase fans dream. Fortunately I am not a chav so these things do not overly appeal as the sole focus of a film.

:hmmmm:

Now, this film is rubbish, but to be fair, so was the original, except for an amazing... car chase. In fact, I did an entire marathon of movies that in some cases were just... car chases. And featured... petrol heads. Chavvy Marathon!

:weep:

I'm not a chav. Honest I'm not.

richierich

« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Petrolhead and car chase fans dream. Fortunately I am not a chav so these things do not overly appeal as the sole focus of a film.

:hmmmm:

Now, this film is rubbish, but to be fair, so was the original, except for an amazing... car chase. In fact, I did an entire marathon of movies that in some cases were just... car chases. And featured... petrol heads. Chavvy Marathon!

:weep:

I'm not a chav. Honest I'm not.

I believe you Jon - by the way thats a nice Burberry cap your wearing   :devil:

richierich

« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Like mother, like daughter. Neither New York playwright Sidda Lee Walker nor her eccentric Louisiana mother Vivi will likely take steps to mend the rift between them. No, this is a job for the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.
The Ya-Yas- sworn lifelong friends of Vivi -stage an unorthodox "intervention” to bring daughter and mother together in this warm adaptation of Rebecca Wells' bestsellers, written for the screen and directed byiCallie Khouri (Thelma & Louise). Sandra Bullock plays Sidda and leadsia stellar cast: Ellen Burstyn, Ashley Judd, James Garner, Fionnula Flanagan, Shirley Knight, Maggie Smith, and more. "This sisterhood is powerful and powerfully funny," The Philadelphia Inquirer's Carrie Rickey wrote: Ya-Ya to that!

Classic chickflick examining a mother/daughter relationship, certainly a good book adaption and well acted.
Maggie Smith and Ellen Burstyn steal the show as 2 elderly eccentric members of the sisterhood, and Ashley Judd is surprisingly accomplished in the role as the crazy younger Vivi. There are several funny parts, and extremely in-depth characterisations, but I found it dragging and overly sentimental for too many segments of the movie.
Definately one for the ladies, but it is watchable for a fella - just!
 :D

**Sandra Bullock mini-marathon
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:14:26 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39:05 AM »
The Prince Of Egypt

An epic adventure and milestone in cinematic achievement, The Prince Of Egypt has captivated movie audiences the world over, becoming one of the top animated films of all time. Unparalleled artistry and powerful Academy Award™ - winning* music bring this beloved story to life as never before, with unforgettable characters voiced by a roster of stars as impressive as any ever assembled for a feature film.
This is the extraordinary tale of two brothers, one born of royal blood, one an orphan with a secret past. Growing up the best of friends, they share a strong bond of free-spirited youth and good-natured rivalry. But the truth will ultimately set them at odds, as one becomes the ruler of the most powerful empire on earth, the other the chosen leader of his people. Their final confrontation will forever change their lives – and the world.

Very reminiscent of a Disney animation, this story of Moses is impressive technically, has a great soundtrack, and is blessed with a heavyweight cast list which make the voices very recognisable.
Not sure how accurate this is in relation to the bible, but scenes such as the red sea crossing and the overall colourful 'feel' were exquisite and memorable.
Now over a decade old, this still appears as an impressive movie technically, and merits a viewing
 :D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:13:54 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »
Fire On The Amazon

Deep in the hot and steamy Amazon jungle, activist Alyssa Rothman (SANDRA BULLOCK) helps a brash photojournalist (CRAIG SHEFFER) investigate the assassination of a famous enviromentalist, at the risk of their own lives.

Disappointing low budget film, this fails for me in so many areas I found myself willing it to end.
It is so badly dated, feels like an early 70's film, with probably the worst audio I've witnessed on a dvd. It seems this is just a straight copy from VHS with no improvements made, the picture was poor and the production/menus cheap and nasty.
As for the film, the message is contrived and politically blatant, with the execution amateurish and direction levels non-existent. It is hard to believe this is Sandra Bullock, as her acting is weak. At best you may describe this as a docu-drama, at worst a school media studies exercise.
The only upside would be if you wanted to see Sandra naked, but in truth you don't see much and it is fleetingly uninteresting.
A real stinker to avoid.
 :yucky:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:08:51 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
OK... now why haven't I heard of Fire on the Amazon? As much as I love Sandra Bullock! Will be waiting for your review of this one Rich!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2009, 12:56:56 AM »
just looked on amazon.com... looks like my only choice would be marketplace as it has been discontinued here.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »
just looked on amazon.com... looks like my only choice would be marketplace as it has been discontinued here.

very cheap in UK - http://www.thehut.com/hut/62820.product?affil=BUYAT

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2009, 01:39:54 AM »
Thanks... I don't normally buy outside our region code... but may make an exception. Looking forward to your review though! :)
Pete

richierich

« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
OK... now why haven't I heard of Fire on the Amazon? As much as I love Sandra Bullock! Will be waiting for your review of this one Rich!

Pete - SAVE YOUR MONEY, DO NOT BUY THIS PILE OF HORSE *%@#

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »
Thanks Rich... came off my wishlist as fast as it went on!
Pete

richierich

« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
Hope Floats

Sandra Bullock gives her most critically acclaimed performance in this touching and heartwarming story about following your heart and finding yourself. Birdee Pruitt (Bullock) has a life most people would envy. But when  her cheating husband reveals his infidelity to her on a national TV talk show, her perfect life comes crashing down. Devastated, Birdee and her young daughter head home to the small town she left behind. As mother and daughter struggle to adjust to their new lives, Birdee slowly gains the strength to open her heart – and find hope again.

Very mushy and over-sentimental, this was like a country and western song on celluloid.
The whole flick came across very false, Connick jr was a poor wooden and cheesy lead, and there was zero chemistry with Bullock who tried hard to pull this film from the grave. The eccentric characters do not gel, and the children just come across as spoilt brats. The humour was absent, the sad points too depressing, and the pace deathly slow. I believe this was Forest Whitaker directing - he should stick to acting.
Typical underdog fights back to find love and happiness storyline that Sandra has appeared too often in, but this is the worst of the bunch and a disappointing vehicle for her acting skills. Unless you are a woman hoping to get teary eyed at some of this movies sad parts, it is unlikely to float your boat.
 :-\

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:18:15 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Another review I have to look forward to. This one I at least heard of... but haven't gotten around to getting it yet.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
Another review I have to look forward to. This one I at least heard of... but haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

Again Pete, you should save your money, this is the lovely Sandra in a very poor film IMO

richierich

« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »
The Brothers Grimm

Matt Damon (The Bourne Supremacy, Ocean's 12) and Heath Ledger (The Patriot, A Knight's Tale) team up to bring you one of the year's most fantastic adventures in this magical tale based on the lives of the legendary storytellers. Will and Jake Grimm (Damon and Ledger) dazzle small towns with their imaginative folklore and elaborate illusions. But when the brothers journey into a real enchanted forest, they encounter many of the fantastic characters and thrilling situations found in their beloved fairy tales! From the award-winning director of Twelve Monkeys, Brazil and Monty Python And The Holy Grail, this fabulous motion picture is sure to leave you living happily ever after!

A true spectacle of a film, amazing effects, effective cast, humour and truly oddball script. However despite a lot of promise it fails to meet the mark, in fact at times it became boring. Terry Gilliam is written all over the production and delivery, some dark moments, with a touch of cheese thrown in. The sets were fairly spectacular, but I found so much was going on at any one time the screen felt cluttered.
Quirky and entertaining at times, this gothic fairy tale is better in principle and concept than receipt.
 :-\

**Monica Bellucci mini-marathon

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:23:31 PM by Rich »