Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 381703 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
The movie is trying to be as faithful to the comic as possible. While that doesn't necessarily excuse the pacing issue or possibly the cheesiness of the sex scenes, but it is what it is for a reason. So, scenes may appear unnecessary, but their were apparently in the comic book so Snyder wanted them to be present here too. For non-fans this may be difficult to stomach; I am a non-fan but liked it nonetheless.

Did you watch the theatrical or the director's cut?

richierich

« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
Yes I have since read up on the movie and learnt the director has produced literally a carbon copy of the original comic. It may be a 'grower', so I will watch it again later this year and hope I enjoy it more.  :hmmmm:

I watched the theatrical version.

Did you see it in the cinema, and if so how was it received by the audience? The first 5 or 6 minutes with Bob Dylan music in background was brilliant, but it slowly went downhill for me after that.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »
Yes, I saw it in the cinema. Not sure how representative a Taiwanese audience is for that a western-oriented film, but t was basically well received. I found that it had its slow moments in the middle but enjoyed the second half.

I passed on the current Director's Cut in favor of the upcoming 5-disc Ultimate Edition. I may miss a few of the4 special features from the current release, but I don't want to double-dip.

Najemikon

« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
Yes I have since read up on the movie and learnt the director has produced literally a carbon copy of the original comic. It may be a 'grower', so I will watch it again later this year and hope I enjoy it more.  :hmmmm:

I watched the theatrical version.

Did you see it in the cinema, and if so how was it received by the audience? The first 5 or 6 minutes with Bob Dylan music in background was brilliant, but it slowly went downhill for me after that.

Why bother watching it again so soon? If you think the story appeals, man up and buy the comic! Then you have the proper version, with the Tales of the Black Freighter in the right place, rather than a separate money grabbing disc.

Although, I haven't seen it yet and still fancy a look, but the US version seems a better buy as the DC isn't available in the UK yet? Sounds like another attempt to rip us off... :redcard:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
Sounds like another attempt to rip us off... :redcard:

The problem is, that in the US Warner Bros. has the distribution rights, and in Europe it is Paramount. And Paramount is not known for releasing a decent first release, if there is money to be made later on with follow-up releases (see Star Trek movies).

richierich

« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
The Spirit

Above shadowy, crime-infested streets a masked avenger watches. Denny Colt (Gabriel Macht) was once Central City's finest cop until a gangster's bullet ended his life. Now Fate has brought him back from the beyond as The Spirit, a street-hardened hero who faces off against seductive foes like the voluptuous Sand Saref (Eva Mendes) or the alluring Silken Floss (Scarlett Johansson) in this graphic action-thriller.

Once you get past the wow factor of stunning cinematography, slick design, delightful backdrops and gorgeous cast, the storyline is very flat and hollow, and overall the film tails away into a forgetful mess.
This lacks the substance of Sin City and 300, and clearly Miller directing alone has cost the movie in lack of characterisation, acting direction, and sadly creates a feeling of blandness.
I'd seriously recommend not buying this disappointing dvd.
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:53:45 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »
The International

Interpol agent Louis Salinger (Clive Owen) is determined to expose an arms dealing ring responsible for facilitating acts of terrorism around the globe. But as his investigation leads Salinger and his partner, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Eleanor Whitman (Naomi Watts), deeper into the secret world of greed, corruption and murder, they become targets of a deadly conspiracy so vast, they soon find the only people left to trust are each other. This pulse-pounding thriller plays a high-stakes game of suspense, intrigue and explosive action.

Despite reading bad reviews on this movie, personally I found it an above average adventure thriller, reasonably cast, and generally well plotted through the film. Pretty good escapist stuff for adults, with the storyline centering around high finance, arms dealing and dodgy banks.
The locations are variously spread around Europe and the US, and were interesting in there originality and architectural impact.
A particular high point in the action was the shoot-out at the Guggenheim which was spectacular, very well directed and tensely shot.
This is no show stopper, but well worth the money.
 :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:28:46 AM by Rich »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
Yes, I saw it in the cinema. Not sure how representative a Taiwanese audience is for that a western-oriented film, but t was basically well received. I found that it had its slow moments in the middle but enjoyed the second half.

I passed on the current Director's Cut in favor of the upcoming 5-disc Ultimate Edition. I may miss a few of the4 special features from the current release, but I don't want to double-dip.

I didn't realize before I got my copy about the 5-disc Ultimate Edition.  I don't know if I'll get it yet or not.  I'll see.

And I did get the graphic novel after I saw the movie.

richierich

« Reply #308 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »
Defiance

Daniel Craig (James Bond: The Quantum of Solace) stars as Tuvia Bielski, an ordinary citizen turned hero, in this action-packed epic of family, honor, vengeance and salvation. Defiance is a riveting adventure that showcases the extraordinary true story of the Bielski brothers, simple farmers - outnumbered and outgunned - who turned a group of war refugees into powerful freedom fighters. Tuvia, along with his unyielding brother, Zus (Liev Schreiber, X-Men Origins: Wolverine), motivate hundreds of civilians to join their ranks against the Nazi regime. Their "Inspirational story" (David Densby, The New Yorker) is a true testament to the human spirit.

Humbling feel good true story movie, for once not spoilt by Hollywood glamourising, delivers stunning cinematography, haunting soundtrack and amazing shoot locations. Craig works surprisingly well in his lead role of the courageous Tuvia Bielski, but for me the shine-out star was Liev Schreiber, an actor I have never really warmed to perhaps because of his Scream appearances, but here in his part of Tuvias' brother Zus, I found his performance outstanding.
The atmosphere works well, with dialogue intermixing between German, English and Russian, and the drama, action, human interest and love aspects are all finely sculpted together. Some may find the pace gets a bit clumsy at times, but it did not overall detract from my enjoyment.
Story-telling of the highest quality, with the ending of course updating the viewer on what happened to the many survivors after the war. Uplifting and recommended.
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:27:11 AM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »
I didn't realize before I got my copy about the 5-disc Ultimate Edition.  I don't know if I'll get it yet or not.  I'll see.
I did read a few reviews before buying (since I was waiting for the DeepDiscount sale) and same pointed out at the very beginning that the Director's Cut included a coupon for the Ultimate; I believe $10 off or something like that. I still weighed options for a while and then decided to wait.

The Ultimate will have the Extended Director's Cut, with the Tales of the Black Freighter edited in and one of the discs will be the Full Motion comic; for those who want to read the comic but are too lazy to, well, simply read the book (ity had good reviews though, when it came out). I guess one disc may be either the soundtrack or another digital copy and then the other two are open for our guessing.

richierich

« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
Revolutionary Road

Academy Award® nominee Leonardo DiCaprio* and Academy Award® winner Kate Winslet** reunite for two powerful, groundbreaking performances in Revolutionary Road. Based on the bestseller by Richard Yates and directed by Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes***, this mesmerizing and moving story follows the lives of a passionate young couple living in suburban Connecticut who decide to risk everything to pursue their dreams. They're willing to break away from the ordinary – but can they do it without breaking apart? Nominated for 3† Academy Awards® and acclaimed by critics, Revolutionary Road is hailed as "one of the best films of the year." (Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES)

Pass the mallet Jon!!!

Self-indulgent, hollow, pointless, without substance or purpose - this movie is crap.
With a return to an American Beauty like subject matter for Mendes, the whole feel of the film was dated and unoriginal. The characters are clichéd, and despite solid cinematography and reasonable performances, the lack of punch or any interesting storyline made this a real stinker. I finished this film feeling bored and slightly depressed, having watched a miserable tale of 2 chain smoking argumentative 50's wannabees.
 :yawn:

** Kate Winslet mini-marathon
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:40:35 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:59 PM »
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

From acclaimed writer Charlie Kaufman and visionary director Michel Gondry comes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  An all-star ensemble cast shines in this comical and poignant look at breakups, breakdowns and breakthroughs.
Joel (Jim Carrey) is stunned to discover that his girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet), has had their tumultous relationship erased from her mind. Out of desperation, he contacts the inventor of the process, Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson), to get the same treatment. But as his memories of Clementine begin to fade, Joel suddenly realizes how much he still loves her.
Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood co-star in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – a memorable film that The Wall Street Journal calls "a romantic comedy unlike any other!"

Probably better watched a bit stoned or half cut, this was a peculiar movie but with superb characters and a very original storyline. It took a lot of concentration to cope with the many twists and turns, but the reward is a heart warming love story supported by excellent direction and sympathetic soundtrack.
The quirkiness may not appeal to everyone, but the performances out of normal type for Carrey and Winslet were refreshing and successful, and should be appreciated by all. The journey with the main character this movie takes you on is both exhilirating and depressing, and I expect may be even more revealing on a second viewing.
I will eek out some more Charlie Kaufman films as I have enjoyed both I have seen so far.
 :D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:39:23 PM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
Revolutionary Road

Pass the mallet Jon!!!

:hysterical:

With pleasure! I was never sure about Revolutionary Road. Certainly doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Your description reminds me of the old melodramas like Cat On A Hot Tin Roof and A Streetcar Named Desire. I hate that sort of thing where characters just seem to beat around the bush for two hours and don't get anywhere.

richierich

« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »
Romance And Cigarettes

See and hear the fearless Kate Winslet as you never have before in this down and dirty savage musical from Director John Turturro and Executive Producers Joel & Ethan Coen - creators of "The Big Lebowski" and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Nick Murder (James Gandolfini) is a man torn between 2 women - his long suffering wife Kitty (Susan Sarandon) and the flame-haired, foul-mouthed seductress Tula (kate Winslet), who really knows how to flick his switch. With faith in her husband shattered, Kitty surprises even herself with the ferocity of her anger as she struggles to cope with his betrayal. It is only through a tragic twist of fate that Nick finally understands the extent of the pain he has inflicted on his family.
Employing a fabulously eclectic mix of contemporary and classic songs, and featuring such diverse artists as James Brown, Nick Cave, Bruce Springsteen, ROMANCE & CIGARETTES is a unique tale of sex and mortality that features an all-star cast.

Musical, comedy, romance, drama - sounds like it will be awful right?
Wrong.
It was absolutely superb viewing, totally entertaining and if like me you see the genre MUSICAL and shy away, I urge you strongly to try this as it is original and compulsive watching pleasure. Incredibly witty dialogue, superbly and star studded casting, music mixed from so many genres and eras but totally works.
Kate Winslet is like you have never seen or heard before, a foul mouthed lingerie selling slut, and 1st rate performances from Gandolfini, Sarandon, Buscemi etc etc etc  make this a stand out movie. Raunchy and raw, this film dares to be different and was a joy.
 ;D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:38:50 PM by Rich »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
Revolutionary Road
Self-indulgent, hollow, pointless, without substance or purpose - this movie is crap.

I could have sworn I've already read a positive review about it from you (along the lines of "beautiful downer"). But not only is that obviously wrong, there also isn't a review from anyone else here. Strange, strange. Anyway, I liked it a lot and don't get the "hollow, pointless" verdict, but unfortunately don't have the time to get into a more substantial argument. Sorry.

Romance And Cigarettes

I'm very curious what you think of this. One of my favorite movies (top ten, seriously).
Matthias