Author Topic: Bought a new computer  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Bought a new computer
« on: November 02, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
Today was finally the day when I decided to take the plunge and buy a new computer. :yu:

Why "take a plunge" you will ask... Well, it's a Mac Pro!

I have had a MacBook for six months now and while I haven't used it a lot I always liked the feel of it. Especially for my personal use it does everything I need and then some. I mean, what do I need in my home form my computer? Mail, DVD Profiler and a web browser is the uses.

DVD Profiler has been the reason for quite a while already, that I "couldn't" step away from Windows. Well, I still can't, sort of, as I will now need to run "Parallels" or VMWare Fusion to run Windows inside the Mac just for DVD Profiler. I tried (Dar)Wine on my MacBook, but it is just too slow; so I'll run Windows just for DVD profiler, and a virus scanner of course. Now that I think about it, there'll be some other hurdles to overcome, like transferring to a new mail client (been using Outlook), but I am confident that I'll actually have fun doing so.

I don't have it yet, as the shop where I bought doesn't carry stock of these. I hope to get it until the end of next week. Also still need to buy some more memory; the dude in the shop was honest and recommended to buy it elsewhere, as Apple's price is much higher than if I buy from another source. Also will have to use the waiting time to figure out the data/backup concept. I currently have a removable drive slot which is mostly switched off and only gets turned on to do the backup. The Mac however doesn't have slots in the front where I could place it.

Anyway, I am not worried about the switch but rather loking forward to the new experience! :yahoo:

Buefox75

Re: Bought a new computer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
Welcome to the Mac experience!  :clap:(Tho, since you've had a MacBook for a while, this is overdue.)

While I haven't had a hands-on trial with OS X Leopard, (the newest version of the OS), I've found Tiger to be a solid, versatile and easy-to-use system. I've been a Mac nut since '94 and have been through all of the OS X versions. While there may have been a few glitches along the way, none of them were big enough to sway me.

With Leopard, you'll have the chance to dual-boot Mac and Windows, all on the same machine. And there is a built-in backup feature, tho I don't know how it will affect the Windows side. But it should backup the entire HDD, so it should be enough.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, I'll be more than glad to try and help you out.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer to help, bluefox, I may need it at some point :)

Leopard (which I actually purchased for my MacBook) is one of the reasons to step up; the built-in backup (Time Machine being one of them). It has a couple of new features that made me think it's finally a good time to switch (with the previous version there were a few things I found inadequate somehow, but I guess that is normal for someone who has used Windows for so long...).

I was aware that Boot Camp now is shipped together with the OS X, but I wouldn't want to shut down and restart to use DVD Profiler. That is why I will be using a system that allows me to use the one windows program I still need right within the running Mac OS X.

Do you happen to have experience with either Parallels (a friend of mine uses it) or VMWare? It seems both are currently coping to get settled with Leopard, but that can only be temporarily, methinks.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
Congrats on the new purchase!  :thumbup:

To think that last time I used a Mac, this is what I used, and it wasn't even the latest model (I was in school after all).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:00:26 PM »
Congrats on the new purchase!  :thumbup:
:thanks:

To think that last time I used a Mac, this is what I used, and it wasn't even the latest model (I was in school after all).
:o

10 years ago... Things sure have developed since then. It was a bit cheaper than what I paid today though :-[ ...and I didn't even buy a monitor with it, as my 2 year old 24" ViewSonic still works great.

EDIT:
Hmmm, using Sebastien's link: This is the one I bought.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 05:14:51 PM by ya_shin »

lyonsden5

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »
Congrats!  :thundergod:

Hope it works out well for you.

Buefox75

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »
Thanks for the offer to help, bluefox, I may need it at some point :)

Leopard (which I actually purchased for my MacBook) is one of the reasons to step up; the built-in backup (Time Machine being one of them). It has a couple of new features that made me think it's finally a good time to switch (with the previous version there were a few things I found inadequate somehow, but I guess that is normal for someone who has used Windows for so long...).

I was aware that Boot Camp now is shipped together with the OS X, but I wouldn't want to shut down and restart to use DVD Profiler. That is why I will be using a system that allows me to use the one windows program I still need right within the running Mac OS X.

Do you happen to have experience with either Parallels (a friend of mine uses it) or VMWare? It seems both are currently coping to get settled with Leopard, but that can only be temporarily, methinks.

Sorry, I haven't used Parallels.
And that's a really good point about Bootcamp; if Apple's developers could somehow (never gonna happen) get around that, I could see a lot more people switching.

I hope to have a copy of Leopard by next year on my work G5 but we'll see.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »
I am sitting here on a Mac, too, a MacMini to be exact.

But I still have a four year old Windows notebook and as long as it is running I will do my Windows stuff (like DVDP) on it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
Congratulations!  :thundergod: :yahoo: :thundergod: :yahoo:

Everyone that has bought an Apple computer absolutely raves about it. My computer is a Dell and I've had nothing but trouble with it. I haven't wanted to replace it since I only use a computer for pleasure now. I use it for my DVD collecting, emails, etc. Once it collapses for the last time I won't be able to switch to Apple because it doesn't work with DVDP.

I don't have the the computer skill to make it work, I couldn't even figure out how share a youtube video without help! :laugh: Hopefully someone (hint hint) will develop the program to accommodate Apple and my DVDs so that I can join the Apple party.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »
Thanks again, everyone. I have actually skipped a movie tonight (:fingerchew: the marathon...) and started looking into making the switch (transferring stuff, how to arrange backups, etc.). Having fun with it already, even before it's here :laugh:

I am sitting here on a Mac, too, a MacMini to be exact.
Oh, great, another friend I can ask for help or advice ;D

But I still have a four year old Windows notebook and as long as it is running I will do my Windows stuff (like DVDP) on it.
It's what held me back too. But now I thought I'll just shell out the money to get the software to run Windows within Mac to overcome the problem. After all, DVDP is really the only thing I need that doesn't work in Mac directly. (I tried Wine, but it's too slow; let alone trying to get the Plugins to work.)

Everyone that has bought an Apple computer absolutely raves about it. My computer is a Dell and I've had nothing but trouble with it. I haven't wanted to replace it since I only use a computer for pleasure now. I use it for my DVD collecting, emails, etc. Once it collapses for the last time I won't be able to switch to Apple because it doesn't work with DVDP.
Apple is easier for most things. Installing software is mostly as easy as dropping an icon to a specific folder (Applications)! Unfortunately DVDP is indeed a barrier though and needs a little more effort to get running.

I don't have the the computer skill to make it work, I couldn't even figure out how share a youtube video without help! :laugh:
That's what friends are for ;)

Hopefully someone (hint hint) will develop the program to accommodate Apple and my DVDs so that I can join the Apple party.
That would make my day too...

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »
I couldn't even figure out how share a youtube video without help! :laugh:

Kathy, I work in tech support and I can tell you, honestly, that you leave a lot of users standing. You're in conversation on the Internet; you learn from advice; you at least have a basic understanding of filetypes and terminology (you know the difference between video and photo files). That's way ahead, so do not sell yourself short!

Halo2

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 10:23:29 PM »
 :thumbup: What he said. I also work in support for a software company and a lot of their own people are a lot more clueless. Never sell yourself short.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 11:12:54 AM »
Me again, to agree with Halo and Jon. After all, Kathy, after been giving the instructions, you actually followed them and yielded a correct result! :thumbup:

I am not in tech support but often help people with certain stuff. It's always a pleasure if the people actually follow what I say but gets annoying if the instructions are ignored.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 03:13:31 PM »
 :-[

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
gets annoying if the instructions are ignored.

Which happens way too often.

The big advantage you have over other users, Kathy, is that you are willing to learn from your mistakes and take advice. Some users just don't want to hear it or know about it, but you're willing to learn. That's always good!  :thumbup: