Author Topic: Which Blu Player  (Read 2534 times)

DVDsRGreat

Which Blu Player
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
Not sure how many of us here are already on the Blu bandwagon but I'm considering getting a bluray-player this thanksgiving (If I get a HDTV that is - waiting for approval from the better half  :fingerchew:). I'll mostly be using it as an upconverting player though as the cost of Blu media is still too high for me.

Now I know the PS3 can be used as an occasional web-browser with a wireless keyboard / mouse as well. Are there any other players that fall in this category. It would definitely be cool to be able to check emails sitting in the living room without having to switch over to the computer room  ;D

Cheers!
Shrek

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Which Blu Player
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »
Not sure how many of us here are already on the Blu bandwagon but I'm considering getting a bluray-player this thanksgiving (If I get a HDTV that is - waiting for approval from the better half  :fingerchew:). I'll mostly be using it as an upconverting player though as the cost of Blu media is still too high for me.
That's not a bad sequence at all... You can already enjoy the upconversion until you feel comfortable to buy Blu-ray. Better than buying Blu-ray without the related hardware.

Now I know the PS3 can be used as an occasional web-browser with a wireless keyboard / mouse as well. Are there any other players that fall in this category. It would definitely be cool to be able to check emails sitting in the living room without having to switch over to the computer room  ;D
I don't know about other players, I own a PS3. I just wanted to add that it not only has a web browser (fairly usable) but is basically a media center. You could transfer all your CDs to MP3 and then copy them on there. You can also copy your own videos (if you have a cam) to it and watch them on the TV. Games can be played on it too ;) (if that tickles you in any way). To use it in that fashion you'll either have to buy the big version (160GB now, is it?) or buy a smaller one and exchange the hard drive (I just did that last weekend).

If you use the PS3 be aware that you will "have to" buy an additional remote control; using the Dualshock/SixAxis controller to navigate DVDs is not overly pleasant...

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »
So! I now have my system all connected and running - PS3 80GB + Sharp 52" 1080p. No money right now for a proper home theater so just doin with a Creative labs speaker set. Connected a Logitech cordless Keyboard / Mouse to it as well.

I managed to get YDL 6.0 installed on the system  :yahoo: and it's great. Everything from Firefox to Open office available right in my living room  :yahoo:

Just finished watching "Night at the museum" on Blu-Ray (got it free with my HDTV) and it looks awesome. I tried a couple of game demos and liked them but for now have just picked up Tiger Woods Golf '08.

Are there any places where I can get used-games for cheap. Spending 50-60 bucks on a game is tooooooo cost prohibitive for me :(

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »

Are there any places where I can get used-games for cheap. Spending 50-60 bucks on a game is tooooooo cost prohibitive for me :(

Congratulations! I signed up for the local Buffalofreecycle.com which I found on Craigs list. Everything offered on this site is free and I have been surprised at the great number of video games and players they post. It seems there is something offered free every day. You can also post your own listing under "wanted". You might want to check and see if they have something similar where you live. I also see a lot of DVDs and video games at the library and second hand stores for very reasonable prices (usually $1 each).

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »

I usually go to my local EB Games once a week to see what they have as second hand games.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
I'm toying with jumping on the BluRay boat soon too. First things first, I need a decent telly, but I know as soon as I do, I'll start drooling over BluRay, especially as Blockbuster have just started what seems like a good offer: Sony player plus five titles for £199. I have concerns though. Maybe one of you can help me! :P

I currently have a Panasonic Home Cinema Systems. It's one of those all in-one-kits with a DVD player that doubles as an amplifier connected to the six speakers. And it's bloody marvellous. Whatever upgrade I choose to do I don't want to compromise that sound and I am way off replacing the speakers with separates. Therein lies the problem.

Whatever BR player I get, I would need to connect it to the DVD player via an optical cable so it should process the sound, but would it process it correctly or am I creating a weird bottle-neck that will result in sound quality beaten by the TV itself? My thinking is that I'll be connecting two sound processors together that would normally expect to be left alone. Am I about to attempt to put a Ferrari engine in a Cortina body? :laugh:

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:26:47 AM »
If your Panasonic DVD player/amplifier has a optical input then you should have no trouble using it to process your sound. The only thing I can think of is if it is designed for a CD player only. Meaning all you would have for a sound field is plain old Stereo.

I would check the book (I'm sure you can find the manual online if you don't have it) and see if the digital in will give you the 5.1 sound you need or if they reserve that for their build in  DVD player.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
I had a Yamaha all-in-one system when I purchase my PS3 and the Sharp TV. I still process the sound through it, connecting via optical cable. Only "downside" is, for the real audiophiles, that the optical cable will only play 5.1 and you will not be able to hear TureHD; then again, I suppose that's the limit of your sound system as well...?

Anyway, pretty much just confirming what Rick already said: if you have an optical in on your audio system it is no problem to "split" audio and video and put them out through different cables. Just don't forget to turn down the sound at the TV for the related channel ;)

Il Protagonista

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »
i`m only using a simple Playstation 3 and LG HT 502 for the sound, i was thinking to upgrade using Onkyo.. but then again, money is always a big problem  :surrender:

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
Unfortunately I was making reckless assumptions about optical connections because I don't have one. :weep: Other devices have to be connected to the amplifier by standard left/right audio phono connections.