Author Topic: My November alphabet marathon reviews  (Read 13643 times)

DVDsRGreat

My November alphabet marathon reviews
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »

Title: The Brothers Grimm

Overview:
Matt Damon ('The Bourne Supremacy', 'Ocean's 12') and Heath Ledger ('The Patriot', 'A Knight's Tale') team up to bring you one of the year's most fantastic adventures in this magical tale based on the lives of the legendary storytellers. Will and Jake Grimm (Damon and Ledger) dazzle small towns with their imaginative folklore and elaborate illusions. But when the brothers journey into a real enchanted forest, they encounter many of the fantastic characters and thrilling situations found in their beloved fairy tales! From the award-winning director of 'Tweleve Monkeys', 'Brazil' and 'Monty Python And The Holy Grail', this fabulous motion picture is sure to leave you living happily ever after!

My Thoughts
This one was a complete blind buy for me. I hadn't really heard about it when it was released and only caught my eye when the DVD came out. I picked it up thinking - Matt Damon, Heath Ledger, hmm... shouldn't be too bad. And I wasn't disappointed. Heath Ledger's quirky performance was refreshing. The movie itself had decent special effects and the storyline was something quite different. It had a couple of scene's which had me  :hysterical: but also included some bad acting from the support cast. All in all a decent feature which I'd definitely watch again.

Rating:  ;D

DVDsRGreat

Re: My November alphabet marathon reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

Title: The day after tomorrow

Overview:
In this pulse-pounding action-thriller, global warming triggers the onset of a new Ice Age. As tornadoes flatten Los Angeles, a tidal wave engulfs New York City and the entire Northern Hemisphere begins to freeze solid. Now, climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid), his son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) and a small band of survivors must ride out the growing superstorm and stay alive in the face of an enemy more powerful and relentless than any they've ever encountered: Mother Nature!

My Thoughts
This is one of those movies I never seem to get tired of watching. This maybe the fourth or fifth time I'm watching this. I really enjoy the whole apocalypse plot even though it's over the top, not to mention the brilliant special effects (seeing that ship float into Manhattan is a treat).

Rating: 

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »

Title: Unbreakable

Overview:
Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson star in a mind-shattering, suspense-filled thriller that stays with you long after the end of this riveting supernatural film. After David Dunn (Willis) emerges from a horrific train crash as the sole survivor - and without a single scratch on him - he meets a mysterious stranger (Jackson). An unsettling stranger who believes comic book heroes walk the earth. A haunting stranger whose obsession with David will change David's life forever.

My Thoughts
After the Sixth Sense, expectations from M. Night Shyamalan were so high that this one was considered a disappointment by a lot of people. I kind of liked the concept:

(click to show/hide)

Not sure if I'll watch this again anytime soon as once you know the ending you start anticipating the story ahead as you watch it and it spoils the fun.

Rating: 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »
After the Sixth Sense, expectations from M. Night Shyamalan were so high that this one was considered a disappointment by a lot of people.
It was not a disappointment to me. But all his movies coming after that one were ;). Sadly the planned Unbreakable trilogy never came to be.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »
After the Sixth Sense, expectations from M. Night Shyamalan were so high that this one was considered a disappointment by a lot of people.
It was not a disappointment to me. But all his movies coming after that one were ;). Sadly the planned Unbreakable trilogy never came to be.

Oh I think it will now. Shyamalan disappeared firmly up his own arse and the only way out now is to admit he was always flawed and retreat into what he does best.

I thought the Sixth Sense was marvellous and Unbreakable a refreshing take on a tired idea. But Signs pushed him past his limit and he's peddled complete bollocks ever since. I wonder now, is Unbreakable slow and methodic because that's the effect he wanted, or does he simply have no clue on pacing? The fight scene at the house I originally considered clever, but it's too similar to the ending of Signs and that desperately needed a shot of adrenalin.

He's been talking about Unbreakable 2 for years and again quite recently (strangely, after an audience for The Happening didn't really happen). Samuel L. Jackson said it was always supposed to be a trilogy (oh god, not again... [cough]lucas[cough]), so it's almost a safe bet for sequelitis.

He might even get desperate enough to make The Seventh Sense... :tease:

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I never heard of the Unbreakable Trilogy till now. M.N.S should definitely stick to it as his later movies after Unbreakable were  :thumbdown: except maybe the Village which had some scope to it. And don't even get me started on Lady in the Water. What utter  :yucky: !! Haven't seen the Happening yet. Didn't even hear of it till the DVD was released so I'm guessing it's  :yawn: as well.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
I watched "Unbreakable" in the theatre and since I have no memory for directors whatsoever I didn't know who made the movie or what he had made before. And tomorrow I will have forgotten that he made these two.

But I found "Unbreakable" incredibly boring and I've forgotten most about it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »

Title: Ice Age

Overview:
They came...they thawed...they conquered the hearts of audiences everywhere in the coolest animated adventure of all time! Heading south to avoid a bad case of global frostbite, a group of migrating misfit creatures embark on a hilarious quest to reunite a human baby with his tribe. Featuring an all-star cast including Ray Romano, John Leguizamo and Denis Leary, 'Ice Age' is "a pure delight" ('New York Daily News') for all ages!

My Thoughts
The laughs just keep on coming... The dialog and the gwaffs crack me up everytime - specially the scene with all the dodos. Definitely worth it.

Rating: 

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

Title: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Overview:
A hunter, a scientist, a vampire, an invisible man, an immortal, a spy, a beast... when a masked madman known as "The Fantom" threatens to launch global Armageddon, legendary adventurer Allan Quatermain commands a legion of superheroes, the like of which mankind has never seen.  Now, despite fighting their own personal demons - and each other - they must join forces to save the world.

My Thoughts
I really enjoyed this one. Hadn't watched it before. I liked how they had brought together so many characters like the Invisible Man, Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde, Allan Quartarmain from various literature and even character's out of 20,000 Leagues under the sea and the Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. The pace of the movie was nice and the special effects were pretty good too. All in all a pretty good feature.

Rating: 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:55:19 PM by DVDsRGreat »

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »
I really enjoyed this one. Hadn't watched it before. I liked how they had brought together so many characters like the Invisible Man, Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde, Allan Quartarmain from various literature and even character's out of 20,000 Leagues under the sea and the Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. The pace of the movie was nice and the special effects were pretty good too. All in all a pretty good feature.

Read the book then I dare you to still rate it so highly! :tease:

To be fair, Alan Moore's work is always edgy and though he disowns any adaptations now, including next years Watchmen, his stuff can work diluted into basic blockbuster entertainment. I really didn't like this one though.

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »

Read the book then I dare you to still rate it so highly! :tease:

To be fair, Alan Moore's work is always edgy and though he disowns any adaptations now, including next years Watchmen, his stuff can work diluted into basic blockbuster entertainment. I really didn't like this one though.

Can you point me to the book in question (I'm guesing King Solomon's mines - please correct me if I'm wrong). I believe there are a couple of older movies based on the story as well but not sure which one's.

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
Well, you're right in a way, that Quartermain came from King Solomon's Mines, while Nemo came from Verne's 20000 Leagues, and so on for the other characters, but the book I mean is a graphic novel of the story used in the film (roughly), bringing all the characters together.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The book is much more detailed and as I said before, edgy. The Invisible Man in particular is psychotic.

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »

Title: Elektra

Overview:
Superstar Jennifer Garner proves that looks can kill as the sexiest action hero ever to burst from the pages of Marvel Comics. Restored to life after sustaining mortal wounds in Daredevil, Elektra (Garner) now lives only for death as the world's most lethal assassin. But her latest assignment will force her to make a fateful decision in the ultimate battle between good and evil!

My Thoughts
Hmm! Crappy dialog and weak acting! Well I wasn't expecting too much since it was kind of a follow-up on Daredevil - we all know how that was ;) but it was still a disappointment. The only saving grace was Jennifer Garner in her red costume and some decent special effects.

Rating: 

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

Title: Gone in 60 seconds

Overview:
Academy Award® winners Nicolas Cage ('The Rock') and sexy Angelina Jolie ('The Bone Collector') ride an unstoppable wave of speed and adrenaline in this hot, edgy action hit from high-octane producer Jerry Bruckheimer ('Armageddon'). Legendary car booster Randall "Memphis" Raines (Cage) thought he’d left the fast lane behind - until he’s forced out of retirement in a do-or-die effort to save his kid brother (Giovanni Ribisi, 'Saving Private Ryan') from the wrath of an evil mobster! But with speed to burn and attitude to spare, Memphis hastily re-assembles his old crew - a rogues' gallery including Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall ('A Civil Action') - and floors it in a full-throttle race to pull off the ultimate car heist: 50 exotic beauties in 24 hours - and the cops are already on to them! Directed by Dominic Sena and written by Scott Rosenberg, 'Gone In 60 Seconds' is an action-packed thrill ride that comes out fast and never slows down.

My Thoughts
NICE! I never get bored of watching this movie again and again. I guess I'm just a sucker for all the nice exotic cars they show. Not to mention the HOT looking Angelina Jolie :heat: and the bike she rides (I think that's an MV Augusta - even if it's on screen just for a few seconds). Some corny dialog - to be expected from any Jerry Bruckheimer/Nicolas Cage feature, but I really enjoy the action packed scene with Eleanor (the Shelby Mustang GT-500 :drooling: :drooling:).
I consider this one of my popcorn flicks which I can enjoy no matter what kind of mood I'm in. I haven't seen the original 1974 version :-[ but it's on my wishlist and hope to see it someday!

Rating: 

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »
If you like car films, check out my marathon I did a couple of months ago for some ideas. Car Movie Marathon

I mention it specifically because I included the original...
Gone in 60 Seconds

Nothing to be ashamed of though in not seeing it. Be warned, it's ropey as hell!

Oh, and you're right about the bike. Well spotted! I hasten to add I know sod all about bikes, but during the car marathon I discovered a great site called The Internet Movie Care Database and they have a screenshot here of the MV: IMCDb
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:00:23 PM by Jon »