Author Topic: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 135415 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2007, 12:29:15 AM »

Title: Supernatural: Bloodlust
Movie Count: 68
TV Ep Count: 20
Time Started: 4pm
Plot:
After hearing of two recent deaths and over a dozen cattle mutilations, Sam and Dean decide to go check it out. They find is a hunter by the name of Gordon is responsible for the two deaths which turn out to be vampires he had been hunting for six months. Sam and Dean begin working with Gordon after saving his life, but soon find out from Ellen that Gordon is a danger to himself and everything around him.

My Thoughts:
This was a good episode... I always enjoyed vampire episodes of any TV Series. One thing I especially liked was seeing Amber Benson playing a vampire. You may remember her as Tara (Williow's Girlfriend) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer)... I thought it was pretty cool seeing her in this show as a vampire.

Title: Supernatural: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Movie Count: 68
TV Ep Count: 21
Time Started: 5pm
Plot:
Dean and Sam investigate the death of a young college student who died in a car accident, but whose grave is now surrounded by a circle of dead plants.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... this one dealing with another of my favorite horror sub-genres... this time zombies. I think my favorite line in this episode is when confronting the person they believe brought back the zombie... Dean comes out with ... "Haven't you ever seen Pet Sematary?" LOL... loved it!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2007, 02:56:36 PM »

Title: Urban Legends: Bloody Mary
Movie Count: 69
TV Ep Count: 21
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
From the Director of Pet Sematary, the terrifying 'Urban Legend' trilogy comes full circle with 'URBAN LEGENDS: BLOODY MARY', delivering hair-raising scares in the tradition of 'The Grudge' and 'The Ring'.

On a Homecoming Night dare, a trio of high-school friends chant an incantation, unleashing an evil spirit from the past with deadly consequences. That same night, the girls are abducted by a gang of high-school jocks. Once rescued, their tormentors receive their just desserts, dying one by one in a chain reaction of gruesome murders, each with a bizarre "Urban Legend" twist. Is it all just a high-school prank taken to grisly extremes - or has "Bloody Mary" returned from the grave to wreak her own vengeance?

My Thoughts:
This is only the second time I watched this one since I bought it. I like... even prefer this new format for the Urban Legends movies. In this one... the main focus of the story is of a single urban Legend... in this case obviously the Bloody Mary legend. I liked the first couple movies as well... but would love to see a whole series of Urban Legend movies based on a single legend... would enjoy seeing some based on legends such as The Hook Man and The Woman in White.

Bloody Mary was done rather well in my opinion. I enjoyed it.... but I wouldn't go as far as the back if the box goes and compare the scares in this movie to those of 'The Grudge' and 'The Ring'.  Like the first 2 movie the killings still are based on other urban legends. Over-all I would say this one is above average... but could have been better.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »

Title: Supernatural: Simon Said
TV Ep Count: 22
Time Started: 3am
Plot:
Sam and Dean meet Andy (guest star Gabriel Tigerman), a slacker who has psychic powers of persuasion, which he uses to gain favors from people. However, when some of Andy's friends start dying, the brothers question whether Andy is using his powers to kill.

My Thoughts:
This one was a decent episode.... though not one of my favorites. I mean it was alright for what it was... it just didn't impress me all that much. I can't even really put my finger on why. The upside of this one though... is that it does move the season long arc along nicely. Which I am sure is what this whole episode was meant for.  Not much of a single episode thriller here.

Title: Supernatural: No Exit
TV Ep Count: 23
Time Started: 3:45am
Plot:
Sam and Dean investigate the brutal slayings of blond women from an apartment building and discover the demon responsible is the ghost of the first serial murderer, H. H. Holmes.

My Thoughts:
This episode was better then the last one... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not only do we get a strong weekly episode... but we learn a little more about the boy's father and his past.

Title: Supernatural: Usual Suspects
TV Ep Count: 24
Time Started: 4:30am
Plot:
Sam and Dean investigate the murders of a lawyer and his wife who claimed to have seen a ghost right before they died. However, after local detectives Ballard (guest star Linda Blair) and Sheridan (guest star Jason Gedrick) uncover the Winchesters' records, they arrest the brothers for a double homicide before they are able to find the ghost.

My Thoughts:
Excellent Episode!... This one is definitely one of my favorites. This one is a good strong story... has a guest star that excites any horror fan... and I must say I laughed my ass off when they poked fun at Linda Blair and her role on The Exorcist at the end of the episode... when Dean asked Sam if "she looked familiar"... he said no... and then Dean asked Sam if he was hungry... Sam says something like "I guess... why?"... Dean comes out with ?"I dunno... I could really go for some pea soup!" What can I say... I loved it!

Title: Supernatural: Crossroad Blues
TV Ep Count: 25
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
When two highly successful professionals die after claiming to be haunted by hellhounds, Sam and Dean investigate the local dive bar and discover it sits upon a site where a deal-making demon has been making people's dreams come true in exchange for their souls.

My Thoughts:
This is another very strong episode... I enjoyed it a lot. This is the episode that Sam and Dean find out what their father did for them... even though they already suspected it. I really liked how Dean tricked the demon in this episode. It shows that he is smarter then what I tend to see his character being most the time.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »

Title: From Beyond the Grave
Movie Count: 70
Time Started: 10am
Plot:
 Bolt the door, lower the lights and settle in for a stylish five-episode supernatural shocker possessed of a shivery all-star cast and drenched in evil. Welcome to Temptations Ltd., a decrepit antique shop whose unwary customers get more than they bargain for from the wily proprietor (Peter Cushing). Much more.

Go to the head of the horror class if you can predict who'll join the ranks of the doomed from among this role call of distinguished British actors: Ian Bannen, Ian Carmichael, Diana Dors, Lesley-Anne Down, Margaret Leighton, Donald Pleasence, Nyree Dawn Porter, David Warner and more. A mirror. A medal. A snuff box. An ornate door. All unleash novelty surprises for the characters -- and you -- in these wickedly horrific tales 'From Beyond the Grave'.

My Thoughts:
This one is another I have never seen. A horror movie made in the UK... way back in 1973. It is one of the titles that was packaged in the "Twisted Terror Collection" boxset.  I wouldn't say this is a great horror movie... but I did definitely enjoy it. I liked the old guy that ran the antique shop. And think my favorite segment would be the first one with the mirror. I can see myself watching this one again at some point... but it isn't one I will watch all that often.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

Title: The Hand
Movie Count: 71
Time Started: 1pm
Plot:
A gifted cartoonist's life comes apart at the seams when his drawing hand is accidentally severed. Slowly, painfully, he tries to adjust...but a terrifying evil creeps into his consciousness. And one by one, the people who stand in his way begin to die.

Written and directed by Academy Award® winner Oliver Stone, this spellbinder showcases a vivid central performance by Michael Caine and wonderfully ghoulish special effects by veteran macabre master Carlo Rambaldi. Stone called for more than 30 different hands to be designed, all used in particular situations. "We had a crawling hand, a walking hand, a strangling hand," he explains. "Each did something entirely different. They were really quite exciting." And they'll keep you guessing right up to the very end!

My Thoughts:
This is also one of the titles that was packaged in the "Twisted Terror Collection" boxset.  I remember seeing this movie back in the '80s.... and really enjoying it... but that is all I remembered about it. So it was like watching this one for the first time... again. I found that I still enjoy the movie very much... though I do admit to be slightly confused by the ending. Definitely one worth checking out... and I do see myself watching it again at some point.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »

Title: Someone's Watching Me!
Movie Count: 72
Time Started: 10am
Plot:
L.A. newcomer Leigh Michaels moves into a chic high-rise apartment building. She loves the view. So does the Peeping Tom who lives somewhere in the adjacent tower.

John Carpenter ('Halloween', 'Escape from New York') writes and directs this thriller where the breath-catching suspense starts the moment Leigh (Lauren Hutton) is framed in the lens of a telescope. For Leigh, it's the beginning of terrors that escalate from anonymous calls and gifts to lights that mysteriously flicker to prove that someone watches every moment of her life. Leigh fights back, matching her tormentor's obsession with her own relentless drive to uncover his identity. The prey is now predator -- and that escalates the stalker's game to a deadly new level. Someone is watching. You won't dare look away.

My Thoughts:
This one is a TV Movie back from 1978. Another one I have never seen... and is the final movie that came in the "Twisted Terror Collection" boxset. I went into this one with fairly high hopes... for two reasons. First I am a fan of John Carpenter. Then there is also the fact that I have learned by collecting the DVDs that I really tend to enjoy TV Movies from the 1970's.  But I think I went into this one expecting a little too much. I enjoyed the movie... but not as much as some of the other 70's TV Movies I have watched.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:54 PM »

Title: Stephen King's It
Movie Count: 73
Time Started: 2pm
Plot:
IT can be anything. A fanged monster that won't stay on the movie screen. Something ominous lurking in the basement. No matter what your biggest fear is, no one knows 'It' better than Stephen King.

Based on King's 1986 bestseller, 'It' is a jittery, jolting excursion into personal fear starring Harry Anderson, Annette O'Toole, John Ritter and Richard Thomas. A malevolent force in a small New England town takes the shape of a clown (Tim Curry), but he's not clowning around. Instead, he terrifies youngsters and brings some to their untimely doom — until some wily kids fight back. The evil resurfaces 30 years later: meaner, angrier, deadlier. And friends who vividly remember youthful terrors reunite to battle 'It'.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the King miniseries I like a lot... but for some reason seldomly watch. The last time I watched this one... I tried to get my daughter to watch it with me... but she left part the way through. She claims she wasn't scared... that she had something else she wanted to do at the time... but I don't know.  One of the reasons I like this one is it has several stars I like in it. Especially John Ritter and Annette O'Toole.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2007, 11:27:58 PM »
I wonder where you got the idea of watching this  :tease:

Great movie though, I like it a lot.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2007, 11:38:27 PM »
LOL... yeah... I just couldn't help myself... after the posts at the other site I was like hmmmmm.... it has been a while. And personally (if you haven't noticed) whether the true title is It or Stephen' King's It don't matter to me... for some reason the title just don't look/feel right to me without the possessive.... but I guess that is a discussion for another forum!  :tease:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »
whether the true title is It or Stephen' King's It don't matter to me...

I thought the title was "It!"? Isn't it what the copyright office says?  :hysterical: ::)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2007, 01:08:13 AM »
I thought the title was "It!"? Isn't it what the copyright office says?  :hysterical: ::)

:bash:

But worth a point for making me laugh!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »

Title: Masters of Horror: Valerie on the Stairs
Movie Count: 73
TV Ep Count: 26
Time Started: 5pm
Plot:
It is called Highberger House, a place for unpublished writers to live and work without distractions.But this building is haunted by more than just the specter of failed authors: The ghost of a beautiful woman roams the hallways and cries out in fear and desire. And there is a beast in the walls that owns her body and soul, and now thirsts for the blood of his creators. 'Christopher Lloyd' (BACK TO THE FUTURE), 'Tyron Leitso' (HOUSE OF THE DEAD), 'Clare Grant' (WALK THE LINE) and 'Tony Todd' (CANDYMAN) star in this sexually charged shocker adapted from the story by 'Clive Barker' about doomed dreams, rotted imaginations and the horrific secret that has given life to VALERIE ON THE STAIRS.

My Thoughts:
This was a decent episode... but a strange one. I really didn't care much for the weird ending. I did like that it had a couple actors in it that I like... Tony Todd and Christopher Lloyd. The gore wasn't to bad in this episode. 1 scene that I would actually call gory is about all in this one. There is also a decent amount of extras on this disc as usual for the Masters of Horror releases. I haven't watched any on this disc yet... but will have to so I can see if I can get any incite into the ending. Now that Masters of Horror has been canceled I only need 3 more episodes to complete this series.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »

Title: The Amityville Horror (Original)
Movie Count: 74
TV Ep Count: 26
Time Started: 4am
Plot:
If these walls could talk...the screams would wake the dead. Based on the chilling best-seller, this "spooky study in psychological terror" ('Los Angeles Times') throws open the doors to your deepest, darkest fears!

The Long Island colonial house on the river’s edge seemed perfect. Quaint, spacious and affordable, it was just what George and Kathy Lutz had been looking for. But looks can be deceiving...and their new dream home soon becomes a hellish nightmare as the walls begin to drip blood and satanic forces haunt them with sheer, unbridled evil. Now, with their lives - and their souls - in danger, the Lutzes must run as fast as they can from the home they once loved...or fall prey to its terrifying power!

Starring James Brolin, Margot Kidder and Oscar®-winner Rod Steiger, this bone-chilling, special-effects laden thriller will hit you where you live!

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ghost stories that made me love the ghost/Hauntings sub-genre so much. I was still just a kid when I first watched this movie... and for the longest time was my favorite ghost story. I have watched this movie many times since then... and it still entertains me to the day. This one I highly recommend.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
Pete, is it just coincidence that the name "Amity" features in two very famous horrors from (Jaws) the same era? I heard the original book places the house near the same area as Amity, but it always struck me as odd.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »
To be honest... I know very little about the history of the film or area. but if I remember correctly... wasn't The Amityville horror based on a story thought to be true... then later debunked? I am not 100% sure... but it is based where it supposedly happened... if I am not mistaken somewhere in/around New Jersey? but take this all as pure speculation/rumor as I am basing it all on my foggy memory of what I read years ago.
Pete