Author Topic: goodguy's Watch Log  (Read 120461 times)

Najemikon

Re: goodguy's Watch Log
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »
You might be surprised by Splash, Matthias. It's typical '80s and not exactly high-brow, but it has a naivety that gives it some honest charm...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2010, 05:30:54 AM »
You might be surprised by Splash, Matthias.
I would be surprised if he would be surprised...  :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2010, 02:33:23 AM »
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (2009)

It takes a bit too long till the soul really starts to dance, but otherwise - what a movie! I might comment a little more tomorrow, but now I'm off to watch Herzog's My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done next.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:44:52 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2010, 02:47:17 AM »
 :thumbup:

I loved this film too. The scene in the chemist was tipping the balance into awesome, but Herzog really won me over with the reptiles!  :laugh: I was going to post my review soon actually. I wrote it a while back for Find DVD and I'm just pulling them together to put on here.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:33 AM »
See, Jon, it's not that I don't like genre films, I only like the good ones. And where Scorsese and Winterbottom craftily exercise the obvious, Herzog goes mad happily and creates a mess that is worth its while. And now I'm really off for more messy Herzog madness.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:20:03 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2010, 03:20:35 AM »
I've put a bunch of others of his on my wishlist. I never quite got interested enough in Aguirre, but I really want to now.

I've seen interviews with him before (including the notorious one where he was with Mark Kermode and got shot! Only an air-rifle, but still...), but did you see the one on the DVD? Lovely bloke anyway and his attitude is like a breath of fresh air.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
I've put a bunch of others of his on my wishlist. I never quite got interested enough in Aguirre, but I really want to now.

Not to discourage you, but Bad Lieutenant is probably not a very typical Herzog film. Not that I'm someone who really is able to put this into context - I've previously seen only a couple of his films and that was ages ago. When I mentioned Herzog in comparison to Scorsese and Winterbottom I really meant only specific films, not their body of work: i.e. Bad Lieutenant vs. Shutter Island and The Killer Inside Me.

I've seen interviews with him before (including the notorious one where he was with Mark Kermode and got shot! Only an air-rifle, but still...), but did you see the one on the DVD? Lovely bloke anyway and his attitude is like a breath of fresh air.

I've watched a bare-bone rental, so no interview for me. But I will probably buy a proper release in the future.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »
No, I realise this is likely his most audience friendly work, but still it demonstrates at least a distilled style I want to see more of. The interview as well showed his gentle attitude that surely informs his work.

Actually his "live and let live" tone makes the story of him pulling a gun on Klaus Kinski all the funnier!

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »
Somewhere (2010, Sofia Coppola)

Surprise: the worst movie of 2010 I've seen is neither Inception nor Twilight: Eclipse. That honor goes to Coppola's sorta remake of her own Lost in Translation in which she replaces the charm of the original with a big fat single message that hits you over the head in the first shot of a Ferrari driving endless circles in the desert until it finally stops and the protagonist emerges. After 90 minutes ennui of the rich and clueless, guess what the last shot is?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:06:45 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »
 Surprise: the worst movie of 2010 I've seen is neither Inception nor Twilight: Eclipse.
:o You have actually seen Eclipse...?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2010, 05:48:15 AM »
 Surprise: the worst movie of 2010 I've seen is neither Inception nor Twilight: Eclipse.
:o You have actually seen Eclipse...?

I didn't plan to and there were extenuating circumstances.  :laugh: And, hey, I like Ellen Page and Kristen Stewart.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2010, 12:31:09 PM »
I know Nolan's films aren't your thing, but whatever you think of Inception, it does not deserve to be lumped in with a Twilight film! Have some respect.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
I know Nolan's films aren't your thing, but whatever you think of Inception, it does not deserve to be lumped in with a Twilight film! Have some respect.

David Slade at least had made Hard Candy before (with Ellen Page btw). So, yes, he does deserve some respect.  :P Based on my experience with Nolan's films and scathing reviews by Andrew O'Hehir (Salon), A.O. Scott (NY Times) and a couple of others, I went into Inception expecting the worst, but was actually quite entertained. That was surprising to me, whereas Eclipse not being the worst of the year might be surprising to everyone else.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:08:29 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
That was surprising to me, whereas Eclipse not being the worst of the year might be surprising to everyone else.

I watched Eclipse. While not being the worst film of all time I was most certainly not surprised by it.  :puke:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »
... scathing reviews by Andrew O'Hehir (Salon), A.O. Scott (NY Times)... [for Inception]

To be fair: both also raved about Somewhere. And I will give daddy's Tetro a try now.
Matthias